HoldenV8
Years ago

Blast from the Past: 36ers-Falcons 1988

36ers fans, I just found this on YouTube. Its a full match between the 36ers and Newcastle Falcons from 1988 - The Darryl Pearce game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkHJPeFIJW4

Topic #36336 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ha ha ha, I was only looking at this on the weekend. That account has some good games from 1988. There's a good one against Illawarra with #5 tearing up the court.

Reply #511891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazing game that was. One of the all time best. Pearce was unconscious!

Here a 3mins recap video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5FmWIV0ZP4&feature=youtu.be

Reply #511909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow full game, if only more fans stepped up and offered an upload like this imagine the library we would have

Reply #511942 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Pearce actually scored 41 of his 48 points in that game in the first 3 periods. His 48 points remains the club record, as does his 11/14 (79%) 3 pointers. He had good support from Al Green who hit 31 and gave out 5 assists, Bill Jones who had 19 points and 9 rebounds, Mark Davis who scored 18, grabbed 13 rebounds and had 6 assists, while Mark Bradtke chimed in with 12 points, 7 boards and 4 blocks from the bench.

For the Falcons, Wayne McDaniel scored 30 points and 12 rebounds, Michael Johnson scored 23 with 3 assists (but 4 turnovers), while Derick Polk scored 19, grabbed a game high 20 rebounds and had 2 blocks.

Those stats today would look phenomenal. Back then they were the norm.

The use of the benches by both Gary Fox and Ken Cole were interesting. In a 48 minute game no 36ers player played more than 40 minutes (Al Green played 38:02). Four Falcons played over 40 with Polk on court for a game high 43:31.

Adelaide were on fire that night (I actually remember watching it on Ch.7 as a 12 year old kid), but looking at the game on YouTube its also clear that with Cole's minimal use of subs, the Falcons ran out of puff halfway through the third.

Reply #512038 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Admittedly though, King Cole was pretty restricted by having a bench that was less than quality. He was forced to play his starters (Johnson, McDaniel, Polk, Jerry Everett and Shawn Dennis) for most of the game.

Something I was reminded of last night that I had long forgotten. Adelaide captain Bill Jones was actually attending the University of Iowa while playing for the 36ers. It wasn't something that was said often though. He nominated for the 1988 NBA draft but went undrafted, though he ended up playing 37 games for the New Jersey Nets in 1988-89 (averaging 3.5 pts and 1.3 boards).

In the NBL he was listed as a 6'9" (206 cm) centre. In college and the NBA he is listed as a 6'7" (201 cm) power forward, though I think he was closer to the 6'9 mark than 6'7. Mark Davis is 201 cm and seeing the two next to each other back in the day, Bill clearly had about 5 or 6 cm on him.

Reply #512042 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:33 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754