Jack Toft
Years ago

R17: Hawks v United

This is a game that all Sixers fans will be watching, and it's on FTA TV, so a good night for a pizza and beer - is there not a good night of the week for that?

United are in a hunt with the Sixers for 4th spot and will be looking to pinch that spot back with a win over the unlucky Hawks tonight. They have beaten the Hawks 2/2 so far this season but are 4 and 6 on the road and are 3 and 3 on Friday nights. With Lucas Walker still out (test?), it doesn't sound like much, but he just offers them an oomph off the bench the Hawks lack.

The McRae-Ervin tussle will be one to watch, but the teams don't actually matchup too badly with a few tight one on ones.

McRae v Ervin
Dennis v Martin
Kickert/Worthington v Forman/Coenraad
Barlow v Davidson

Bench
Tomlinson/Corletto v Carson/Demos
Odigie v Hill
MacMillan v Nevill
Patton v Ballinger

My score predictor is telling me an 83:81 win to United. With Walker out and the Red Fox drawing up plays to keep his home crowd happy, I am thinking the Hawks might have a late run in the fourth and come in like a Kiama wave and blow them away. Hopefully the Hawks haven't forgotten how to close out a game.

Hawks to pip United.

Topic #36351 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Should be an entertaining game, but one would think United would win as they have a lot to lose.

United by 3.

Preview: Melbourne commence playoff push with trip to Wollongong

Reply #512348 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hawks have been due all season, they will get the upset at home tonight. United are a roster of great players, but when things don't go their way, they aren't a great team. Hawks grind it out, and if it get to the 4th and its close they will tip this week. Poor bastards are so due its criminal!

Reply #512349 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hawks are well and truly due. Some bottom ranked teams are woeful and deserve to be there. The Hawks have had one shocker this season, but have been around the mark most games.

Kobe24 is right about United. They seem soft mentally. If the Hawks can put the pressure on a couple of United players and interrupt their rhythm, then I think the drought will break.

Reply #512356 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Everytime I tip a winner the other team wins so I am going to tip United. ;-)

Reply #512361 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

United to win by 15

Reply #512362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks have Jahii Carson, so expect Melbourne to win tonight.

Reply #512369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hate all u want on carson he will go at kickert and if he gets some home cooking there will be foul trouble for united. One thing to not be able to hit a jump shot another to be aware of it and attack the rim at all costs.

Reply #512384 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

regret, unable to watch carson...i just get bored

Reply #512395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure the due for a win scenario works as probability doesn't have a memory.

They have been playing the best form team in the league (36ers) very tough and are always tough at home.

Both teams play quite a similar style and the Hawks don't seem to have the type of team to take advantage of United's weaknesses.

Should be an interesting game.

Reply #512401 | Report this post

imousuck  
Years ago

The question is are the Hawks UNITED in the crusade against the Wildcats? :P

Reply #512402 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Wow ! Hawks are cranking it. United possibly playing worse offense then the Cats

Reply #512425 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

The 36ers now have their destiny for the title in their own hands!!!! GO YOU GOOD THING!

Reply #512426 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I hope Hawks keep the core of this team together for next season. Maybe drop Neville and Carson and go for an import big like Dunnigan.

Reply #512427 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Is Kickert injured? How has he only played 7 minutes half way into the 4th?

Reply #512428 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Go you Hawks !!!

Reply #512429 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah id say he is. Was playing when Hawks were pulling away, subbed out after committing a foul I think, hasn't come back. Im only going off live stats though.

Reply #512430 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Go you Hawkers!!!!

Reply #512431 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Kickert had issues with his back, he was subbed off early on then came back only to be taken off again later with the same issue

Reply #512433 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah on Untied twitter had back issues. Not a great time of year to have that sort of thing. Hawks came out swinging either way, were so over due.

Reply #512435 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Yeah very bad for United especially with Walker out. Agreed on the Hawks. They have played well most the season and have been unlucky IMO. Good result for both the 36ers and Cats also

Reply #512436 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Woud have to be pretty bad back issue for him to not be able to go in such a huge game results wise for the season. If he misses the game in Melbourne and Hawks cruise again, thats just about the top 4 sorted.

Reply #512438 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Good when other results help the SIXERS, but control what you can control......we still have to keep winning! Go SIXERS!!!!!

Reply #512440 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Those crazy basketball gods are at it again. What an exciting season this has become. Much more fun than usual.

Reply #512442 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'd be pretty worried if I was NZ and 36ers finish 4th

Reply #512443 | Report this post

Sixers147  
Years ago

United without 2 key players wildcats fans just shows it's not just your own team that had injuries.

Reply #512444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This will be simulcast into most states/territories

Reply #512446 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow - Hawks finally get the win they were overdue for!

Hot Hawks blitz woeful United

Reply #512450 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

Well it's time for melbourne to blow up the roster

Reply #512451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are done unless Adelaide or Perth get upset in a game

Reply #512452 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Perth lose to NZ

Check.

Melbourne lose to the Hawks

Check.

Adelaide defeats Townsville?

Tune in Sunday. Our destiny is in our own hands.

You know, but for a little more luck Wollongong could very well have been fighting for a playoff spot this season. They haven't been as bad as their record suggests.

Good game by Oscar tonight, 22 points @ 75% (9/12) and 3 rebounds. There seems to be life left in his old legs, its good to see. But speaking of old legs, does anyone else get the feeling that this might be Balls' last season? 10:27 on court tonight with 0 points (0/3) and only 1 rebound.

Reply #512453 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah I think so, the last couple of games we played against them he also saw small minutes.

Reply #512454 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Hawks doing the Sixers a favour.

Get the impression out of Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne two limping to the line and one flying. Long way to go yet though!

Reply #512456 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

HoldenV8, Balls needs to call it. Grab a fork and poke him. He's gone from medium-rare to well done very quickly

Reply #512459 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Yeah I think you're right Jack. Balls has had a good career but he just hasn't been the same since the night he did his ankle against the Tigers in 2010-11. He'll be 36 in June and going on this years form I wouldn't mind betting that this is his last year.

Wollongong would do well to get a decent centre next year (with Nevill as a back up if they keep him) and let Davidson play at PF. Personally I think Davidson plays out of position at centre, though he does ok.

Reply #512467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if theyd throw some coin at Schenscher. Big man can and will pass is very smart and doesnt have all that many miles on those long legs for the past few seasons. Rotate Neville and Schenscher could make for an interesting look.

Reply #512468 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Thanks Hawks!!!
:D

Reply #512492 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They looked like the Hawks of last season, impressive performance.

Reply #512494 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

The Unitards truly suck. Terrible performance.

Reply #512497 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doubt Hawks would keep Nevill.

+/- for those interested:

HOME TEAM
G. Ervin: 14
O. Forman: 12
L. Davidson: 19
R. Martin: 21
T. Coenraad: 17
L. Nevill: -4
J. Carson: -13
A. Ballinger: -1
B. Hill: -1
T. Demos: -5
K. Adnam: -4

ROAD TEAM
S. Dennis: -24
D. Kickert: -12
D. Barlow: -13
M. Worthington: -23
J. McRae: -9
A. MacMillan: 4
N. Tomlinson: 14
D. Corletto: 2
O. Odigie: 0
G. Page: 6

Reply #512539 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Yeah I doubt they will keep Nevill. And I can't see Balls being part of their 2015-16 squad so they will probably be in the market for a big man.

Melbourne had everything to play for last night and played like we did under Marty Clarke when trying to avoid the wooden spoon...i.e. crap.

The way things are looking right now, Adelaide actually might end up 3rd and it'll be a struggle between Perth and Melbourne for 4th.

Reply #512606 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754