Cameron Healy Hornsby
Keanu Reed Bankstown
Zach Stosic Hills
Aaron Waban Bankstown

Topic #36369 | Report this topic

Wonderer  
Years ago

I think there are girls tams too....

But, every member of the Country team has an u/16 Gold Medal, better balanced than winning team 2 years ago. Metro without Isaac looking at 5 - 8 finish.

Reply #512805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country NSW team would be easily the team to beat IMO

Reply #512809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A quick look at the facts re NSW Metro (this age group):
- 3 gold medallists from Nationals 4 years ago (U/14s) (2011)
- 7 silver medallists from Nationals 2 years ago (U/16s) (2013)
- 5 players from the 2 Sydney Metro U/16 teams which finished 3rd/4th at the Melbourne Junior Classic 2 years ago (2013)
- 1 x true 7-footer currently at AIS (CoE)
- 1-and-1 vs Vic Metro at ECC this year
- A NSW Metro team won NSW U/16 State Champs last year (beating the best Country team)
- includes the top scorer (or close to?) at U/16 Nationals this year
- includes 1x world-class athlete (top 3 in world 400m U/17)

So I'd say there's plenty of evidence that in this particular age bracket NSW Metro is more than competitive.

So let's wait and see their results before consigning them to 5-8.

No apologies for this being a totally biased post from a NSW Metro parent.

Reply #512858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure, Metro will be more than competitive. They'll still finish 5-8th.

Reply #512867 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Very strong teams, they will both prove hard to beat I believe. Country seem to be deeper in their overall talent and I think they may be better than Metro, but if they play one another there is always the rivalry factor to take into account.

Once again Aus 18 Nationals will be loaded with some of the country's best young talent, seems to be getting better and better every year...

Reply #512869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW Metro parent - you could have said the same thing about last years NSW Met group, if not more. Yet they stunk. Previous years mean nothing.

Reply #512898 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Years ago

And the main player from that silver medal team isn't playing.

Reply #512903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let the boys do the talking on the court! Parents don't need to promote them!!

Reply #512917 | Report this post

Pallas15  
Years ago

NSW Country are definitely the better of the two teams.

Without Humphries and coach is not that great so I have been told so 5th-8th is also my prediction.

Reply #513017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only one rep at the CoE from both teams, with so much talent! What does this say about the Aus pathways? Oh and I am not even going to suggest on what basis that single CoE player was picked to go to the AIS.

Reply #513041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #041 makes a good point. What does it say about AUS pathways when ONE player from the best 2 teams at 2013 U16 nationals is at the CoE? I could think of probably 3-4 that would certainly not look out of place in Canberra. Shame really..

Reply #513043 | Report this post

Wonderer  
Years ago

In response to Metro Parents list of claims for the Metro team... Those 7 Silver Medallists from 2 years ago will surely remember that they were up by 19 at halftime v NSWC at u/16s and went in to claim silver. And any bottom age kids in the group will still have fresh in their mind their game v NSWC at 16s in 2014 when they were truly outplayed. while no one is questioning their athleticism (or 400m ability), it could be a matter of how well the coach gets them to play together. # MentalToughness ..... Which team has it?

For a sleeper, I'd keep an eye on WA M,

Reply #513559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the New South Wales Metro coach, what is he like and will he get them to play together? I agree WA Metro could be a sleeper also

Reply #513581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players go to the CoE based on Worlds years - if they don't have a WCs then they quite obviously won't have a large intake. Common sense really.

As for NSWM - agree with above - the 16s coach was completely outcoached in the gold medal game. Didn't use Humphries at all, all seemed more interested in their own scoring.

Reply #514039 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Then there is the fact that funding at the CoE is less than adequate. Player's families even have to pay for kids to attend development camps at the AIS these days. Of course it is partially funded and costs are kept to a minimum, but never the less it is basketball that is one of the most neglected sports for its standing in the world sporting landscape.

Reply #514057 | Report this post

Bear lover  
Years ago

What a joke. The NSW Metro guards were a joke. Farce Sam!!!

Reply #531533 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754