Jay
Years ago

Point system does rule our Rogers

These are the points allocated against each player from last year. Farley 10, Maher 10, Forman 6, Nash 7, Rychart 10, Holmes 7, rees 6, Cooper 6, Ng 4, Williams 6, Hill 1 Total 73. Players rated 6 and above and have played for 5 consecutive seasons reduce points by 1. Ten consecutive seasons reduce by 3. Maher comes back to 7. Rogers is rated a 10. Like I said it sounds like a nagy beat up to me!

Topic #3638 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I could be very wrong here, but if you've played your whole career at one club, don't you count as a 5? IE - Maher, Holmes, Forman? If so, that takes us back to 65.

That was how I understood it to be?

Reply #42379 | Report this post

No Williams (6) and no Ng (4) that's 6 + 4 = 10 points.

Rodgers (10 points)

The point difference would be the same as last season

Reply #42380 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maher, Holmes and Forman are capped at 5 as long as they stay with Adelaide. Williams isn't on the roster this year. You've also counted 11 players in there!

You're about 8 points out with your assumption of 73. Take Williams out of that line-up. Replace Ng with Rogers.

Maher 5
Farley 10
Rychart 10
Holmes 5
Cooper 6
Forman 5
Nash 7 (possibly re-rated as a 6?)
Rees 6 (again this year?)
Hill 1? (can't remember rules on rookies -- I think he maintains his internal rating if he signed by a certain date)

55 before Rogers.

Jay, the way that you've been quiet for almost the exact period that Boti has been on holiday makes me wonder...

Reply #42381 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

By the sounds of things, the PR deal isn't points related as it seems we have room for him even as a 10 it's more about whether he will play for the minimum?

If the 6ers do it all above board then the NBL will have to sign off on it.

Jay it sounds like you just want a Boti bagging session. Sorry but not on this topic!!

Reply #42382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how many points are they allowed to have

Reply #42385 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It was 66 for 04-05.

More info

Reply #42387 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Jay why do you hate Boti?

Did he write bad things about you as a child?

Reply #42390 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Maher is rated 10 minus 3. have Forman and holmes played five consecutive seasons? If they have they drop one. If not their ratings still stand.

Reply #42420 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Are you serious?

4. A player, other than restricted (import) players, commencing his career with a club shall never have an Internal Rating greater than 5 while he stays with that club. If the player chooses to leave that club, he will then be allocated his External Rating.

5. Players rated between 1 and 5 may retain their 'original rating' provided they re-sign with their club before a nominated cut-off date each year. The nominated cut-off date for the 2004-05 season shall be 30 April 2004.

Reply #42423 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Then there are two different versions. The NBL page states as I have said. Yours maybe more up to date and if so I'll back off. Issac you are right but I use Nagy as my alias when writing for the Advertiser. Boti Nagy is just a fictional character. It's a non de plume. Yeah right.

Reply #42429 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You've made the wrong assumption based on my suggestion further up. I was suggesting that you emerge for some Boti-bashing when he's back on the job. I take it that you loved the inaccuracies or outright lack of reporting during his absence?

My quote above is directly from the NBL site. Where's your info from?

Based on your interpretation of the ruling, the Sixers were over the points cap last year -- how was that possible? (Maher 7, Rychart 10, Farley 10, Forman 6, Nash 7, Holmes 7, Rees 6, Cooper 6, Ng 4, Williams 6 = 69). Even if you strip a point from Williams for 5+ years service, that's still over the points cap, right?

Reply #42431 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I believe the Points Cap was increased from 66 in 2004-2005 to 68 for the coming season...giving us even more points to work with.

Rogers could be a 13 and he would still fit within our cap.

Only issue is dollars.

Reply #42436 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Speculation over the points value of each player is something that is debated time and time again. How anyone can confess to knowing the point tally of a team is beyond me. The NBL have stated that it is confidential information and will not be revealed publicly. Just the fact that everyone has a different idea about the points tally confirms that nobody really knows.

Reply #42455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeh its not like the coaches and players know and word doesn't spread.. doh

Reply #42457 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anonymous beat me to it - I don't know how confidential it is (i.e., NBL only, players and coaches, or more). I believe that coaches know in order to decide on a roster, and players have to know because they are able to base salary on something like their points value, etc. Really, Farley and Rychart are obvious. Maher, Forman and Holmes are obvious. And the rest aren't really that hard to guess or make a pretty reasonable estimate of.

Reply #42458 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

The points are based on an average rating voted on by oposition coaches.

Therefore Phil cant vote on the sixers beacuse the NBL know that the coaches will low ball their own team to take advantage of the rules.

Apart from the guidelines stated above my understanding is that there is nothing to stop a coach from rating every player in the league a 10, however this would stuff his own team as other coaches would do the same.

This leads to the opinion average for all players which we can guess pretty acurately by their performance ie Oscar is rated higher than say Darren Ng.

Using this at Brisbane i guess the following

Imports 20
Bradtke 5 ( he gets to take his points with him)
Copeland 5 ( See Bradtke)
Sam Mac 10 ( Boomer)
Black 8 ( Fringe Boomer)
Rucker 8 (still gettin it done)
Egan 6
Hill 5
Williamson 5

72 points worst case with 10 players....Eddie's accountants at work here???

Reply #42569 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure that Brisbane are going with 1 import this season in Brannen.

I also have read that Bradtke is a 7 and not a 5. Likewise with Copeland.

Reply #42573 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

At this stage the Bullets have only 1 import so using the above guestimates you would trade one import (10 points)for Adam Gibson who is a rookie (1 point)
Also Brad Willimason who will only be playing in his 3rd season (and has played a total of 9 games in that time) may have been able to keep his original rookie ranking of 1 by re-signing by a certain date (same as Brad Hill)
Effectively this could possibly give the Bullets a points total of 59. If another import comes on board then they have to cut a player to make him fit but even cutting Williams or Gibson would still allow then to come in at 68 which apparently is the cap.

Reply #42574 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

Confused Brad Williams and Brad Williamson...

Just re read the points explanation on nbl.com.au

Stephon are you saying that Bradtke and copes are transfering their internal rating to Brisbane?

Bradtke would be 10 point players with a 3 point discount for long service (10years).

Copeland having only been a tiger but originally an import transfers as a 5?

Is this how you interperate the rules?

Also what would happen with Sean Marks who has never played in the NBL but by the rules is an unrestricted player being a kiwi???who would be worth rookie points top any NBL team.

Reply #42578 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Whoops sorry - Brad Williamson guard/forward for the bullets # 44

Reply #42581 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From memory, if you play more than 10 seasons with a club, you can transfer your internal rating to another club. As Stephon has said, they'd likely both be sevens.

Reply #42584 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Sean Marks has played for NZ. Might be the same as being a Boomer. I Schenscher came back, he would be a 10 coz he's in the Boomers squad?

Reply #42585 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

The doctor good point. But does being in the squad make you a Boomer? Wouldn't you have to actually represent in an official FIBA game to be a Boomer?

Copeland has only ever played for the tigers though so does he get capped at a 5 or because he was an import 10-3 loyalty points for a 7 point player?

Too many questions...time for a lie down.

Reply #42586 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:03 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754