Dunkin' Dan
Years ago

WNBA 2015 Season

Big announcement today from Diana Taurasi that she'll be sitting out this season, essentially because her Russian team can pay her so much compared to the Phoenix Mercury.
Puts a huge dent in Phoenix's back-to-back aspirations.
I'm expecting Penny Taylor to either follow suit or at least scale back her WNBA season as well.

Possibly good news for Erin Phillips though. If she wants to stay in Phoenix there's now a whole lot of extra guard minutes there, and hardly anyone else to use them.

Topic #36382 | Report this topic

Years ago

hey Dan - any news on Tolo getting any camp invites ?

Reply #513086 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I haven't heard anything, no.
In Tolo's case I'm thinking the ball is mostly in her own court. If she wants to play WNBA I would guess there would be no shortage of interest in her. I have no idea what her ambitions are though.

Reply #513092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't believe the salary difference between euro league and wnba.
Taurasi gets 100,000 in the Wnba and 1.5 million at her Russian club. I believe that club has a salary cap of 10 million+. Crazy...

Reply #513099 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Sad but true.
This issue was always going to raise its head, and it's surprising to me that it has taken this long.

The top players earn the bulk of their money in Europe/China. It's a gruelling schedule playing year round with very little break between the two seasons. When a player needs a breather, it makes a lot of sense for the WNBA to be the league to skip, even if it is the higher standard and more prestigious league, and for the vast majority of elite players, their "home" league as well.

Reply #513126 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I just heard something interesting regarding Cayla Francis

Reply #513131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome informative post Dan....

Reply #513132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the news about Francis?

Reply #513143 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Sounds like she's heading across this season.
She has been around that level for a while now so it's interesting that it's happening this year.
Being an odd numbered year always helps (no Olympics/Worlds) I guess.
Look forward to seeing how she goes against the best. She's got the skills for it.

Reply #513145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you guys had a teenage daughter who was tracking at this level, what would your advice be?

CoE?
Stay home to finish highs school then US College?
WNBL to WNBA?

It is really hard to work out what the best path for women's basketball is these days.

I guess the good part is with the European/Russian and Chinese becoming such strong options it appears women can earn a great living from the sport.

Reply #513147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would depend on what she has at her home Level re training and game opportunities. C of E is not everything and certainly not education wise. For those who don't have opportunities at home it certainly can be useful, but if they have access to a good wnbl/SEABL program and good coaches they are just as well to stay at home in their junior years. College is the next step to get more experience and then open the doors to Europe if they are wanting to make basketball a career

Reply #513156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would go College then back to WNBL then Europe then wnba

Reply #513159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play well at that Gems world champs (under 19) and get drafted that year.

This is the path Talbot and the tall skinny girl went.

The wnba team will then track your development until you're ready to head over and play. Getting drafted by a wnba team puts you in play for the opals where you get increased exposure internationally.

Reply #513163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talbot I think is still a year or so away I reckon...
Mijovic, not sure she'll ever make it.

Reply #513165 | Report this post

Years ago

alana smith smoky for a few years time

Reply #513169 | Report this post

Years ago

bottom line is you have to deliver / excel at international level regardless of COE or college to get to WNBA level.

Reply #513170 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Mijovic needs to get some bulk up and rid herself of her paint phobia to have any chance of reaching the potential that she has.

Reply #513173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand that Kelsey Griffin plays her role and does the team thing, but I'd love to see her get the green light, think she is quite capable of being a 10 and 5-8 on a regular basis, Sun lack a bit of offensive punch.

Reply #513175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cayla Francis to Phoenix!

Reply #513187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leilani Mitchell to Mercury!

Reply #513197 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Tess Madgen! :D

Reply #513243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tolo, bishop, Talbot and maybe kunek also maybe, lol?
Is jarry, Taylor and cambage going back?

Jackson I'm assuming will not play?

Reply #513249 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I think we can probably rule out LJ, yeah :(
Vert much doubt we will see Penny either.

Jarry & Liz would be largely dependent on their health I guess.
Bishop & Tolo are the interesting ones to me. I'd love to see them both have a crack this season. While the aussie invasion is on, they might as well get on the bandwagon :)
I've always thought Tolo could hold down a spot over there. Bishop I'm not as certain about, but she's certainly a better player than the last time she played for Seattle so I think she cold stick too.

Kunek might be worth a camp spot for a team looking for a perimeter gunner. I think maybe I'm just being greedy now though. Might as well throw Steph Cumming into the mix as well ;) She's got WNBA physicality.

Reply #513273 | Report this post

Years ago

don't forget jenna

Reply #513276 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yeah I'm just assuming that Jenna is a lock to play, just as I'm assuming Erin is too (just don't know where, yet)

Tolo is in :D

Reply #513277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunkin dan, where do u get your info?

Reply #513287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why people are so high on Kunek.

fairly solid 3pt shooter.

Whinges A LOT on fouls.

About all I can come up with.

Reply #513307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti reports Tolo a more certain lock, Madgen to get a camp invite.

Reply #513352 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Tess already under contract with Sandringham SEABL

Reply #513366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, would be funny if tolo goes to Mercury as backup behind griner.

From what Ive heard, kobryn is to go...? But will they put Francis and bass as backup centres or put them as 4's behind Dupree.

Pf 6'2 Dupree
Pf/c 6'4 Francis / 6'3 bass
C 6'8 Griner

You'd think they would be after at least 1 more big.

Also, they might be looking at Talbot at sf behind bonner perhaps? According to boti?

Pretty small and weak in the guard spots if no taurasi and maybe no Phillips or Taylor.
That would mean Mitchell, bias, James, murphy, zogota?

Reply #513368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We can dream...

Phillips/Mitchell/bias
Taylor/James
Bonner/Talbot
Dupree/francis/bass
Griner/tolo

Vandersloot is up for trade? She would be great at Phoenix.

Reply #513374 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Tolo will be in the west, but not the Mercury unfortunately.
Not that Phoenix is short on aussies now anyway. Lost 2, but gained 2.5, so I can't complain!

Reply #513377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking forward to seeing how Brendan Joyce can make the signing of Tess Madgen about himself.

Reply #513391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signed...
Leilani Mitchell
Jasmine James
Cayla Francis
Tess Madgen
Monique Curry
Noellle quinn

That means 4 guards, a small fwd and and pf/c.

Phillips, Taylor, bonner, Dupree, griner to round out? Plus one more. I'm not so sure...

Reply #513393 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I'd be very (pleasantly though) surprised if Erin & Penny played in Phoenix this season.

Reply #513406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor I can understand not going with taurasi not playing.

Why would Erin not go back?
It can't be because shes not wanted. The other guards imo at the Mercury will not do well. Small in stature and primarily passes not shooters. Not great perimeter defenders either.

Starting 5 last year was
Taurasi, Taylor, bonner, Dupree, griner.

The front court will remain the same, but how can you replace 25-35 points a game in the backcourt.

Reply #513423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Erin not go back?

Its quite rare for a wnaba player to become an unrestricted free agent. She has her choice of teams she may want to play for.

Reasons for moving on;

She wasn't a starter towards the end of last year and there could be some bad blood due to that.

She may want to live in another city. New York and LA are in need of point guards and when salaries are essentially equal. Living in either of those cities would be a plus.

Mercury are looking weaker now with DT and I assume Penny out. Putting herself in a position to win a 3rd championship must come into play.

Another team may offer her more years on a deal. At age 30 this must be a plus for her.

With all the guards/wings signed so far I assume this means that both Erin and Penny won't be back.

Reply #513433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well according to Mistie Bass's (Phx team mate last season) Twitter Erin has signed for another team

https://twitter.com/mr_battle91/status/563471447902134272

Reply #513448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On another forum, they suggested la sparks for Phillips.
But doubt it. Tolliver is the Primary pg there isnt she?

Reply #513457 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Erin could fit in just about anywhere IMO, but LA is one of the teams I think would suit her particularly well. Toliver is more like a SG in the body of a PG. A backcourt of her & Erin would work just fine IMO. Nice team to go to as they're potential title threats if they can get their backcourt right, and having Erin on board would be a good step in that direction.
Plus then there's be 2 aussies in LA ;)

Reply #513459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tolliver isn't a pg. She played as the primary pg for one season with LA and it didn't work (some double figure turnover games).

Tolliver's strength is scoring although she is the size of a pg. Playing a strong guard like Erin who can also guard the wing next to Tolliver while sharing ball handling duties may work.

Reply #513460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell/james
Quinn/madgen
Bonner/Currie
Dupree/bass
Griner/Francis

I see them removing Kobryn, bias, zagota, murphy?

Looking like an Sg/sf is needed and maybe another true centre.
I see both bass and Francis playing both 4 and 5.

Reply #513659 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yeah, I have concerns there too.
The backcourt is obviously an issue, as you'd expect when suddenly you lose Taurasi & Phillips! Huge hole to fill, but I think they've done a *reasonable* job given what's available. But it's very much a case of throwing a bunch of ok players at the problem and hoping that it works itself out.

The 4 spot is my worry too. Bonner is very much a 3, who even played the 2 last season. Currie is on the 2 side of a 3. So Dupree is really the only true PF on the team. Francis is the next closest thing, since Mistie's game is more a close-to-the-basket style.
So it's a tremendous opportunity for Cayla to get herself some minutes if she plays well, but I'd feel better with another PF on the roster. I expect that's the spot they'll be aiming at with their draft pick.

I also expect that Murphy will stick. She's a capable and experienced backup.
Remember also that the roster size has increased to 12, so with all the cash freed up from Taurasi + Taylor + Phillips, I'd expect them to use all available spots (assuming of course that they're not over-paying for all those guards ... which history says is probably not a wise assumption). So there is room for all of the above plus a draft pick.

Reply #513671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon there after tolo and another free agent.

If they can peel vandersloot from chicago.

Then you would have much better side.

Reply #513685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean something like this:

Vandersloot/Mitchell
Quinn/James/madgen
Bonner/currie
Dupree/francis/bass
Griner/tolo

Reply #513687 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Tolo already signed with another team.

Reply #513697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where?

Reply #513706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Phillips and tolo to Los angeles Sparks?
And bishop back to the storm?

Reply #513789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking like:
Phillips- sparks
Tolo- sparks
Bishop- storm
Ohea- storm
Madgen- Mercury
Mitchell- Mercury
Francis- Mercury
allen- Liberty

Maybe...
Jarry-
Talbot-
Jackson-
Cambage-

Reply #513791 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I'd have to think that LJ is highly unlikely now after the latest setback.

Talbot feels unlikely to me now too given that Phoenix has already loaded up their roster, and Penny won't be playing. It no longer feels like the right time for her to go over.

Not sure what Cambage's health situation is, but I'm still quietly holding out some hope that she will go over. 2015 Tulsa is a very different team to the one she last played for, and with her on board they get that bit better again.

Jarry is in for a fight to grab a spot on Minnesota's roster but hopefully she can stay healthy and achieve it.

Reply #513802 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Tolo signing with LA has been officially announced now

Reply #514319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a descent front court...

Parker/ogwumike/Gruda or Greene?
Tolo/lavender?

Reply #514350 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Erin Phillips officially confirmed to the LA Sparks

Reply #514721 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Abby Bishop signing with Seattle Storm is now official. Multi year deal.

http://www.wnba.com/storm/news/storm_signs_bishop150220.html

Reply #516699 | Report this post

manos  
Years ago

abby is in good form and seattle acknowledge this.

Reply #516702 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

BA could learn a thing or two from Seattle about how to handle Abby's family situation too

https://twitter.com/seattlestorm/status/568838659148947456/photo/1

https://twitter.com/seattlestorm/status/568841943872094209/photo/1

Reply #516712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Tess Madgen been cut? I haven't heard any mention of it but I noticed that her name has been taken off the Phoenix roster :(

Reply #528929 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Tess is still there. She was mentioned in this brief article about day 2 of camp:

http://www.wnba.com/mercury/news/camp_150519.html

Reply #529023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wasn't aware that Jarry was injured.

http://www.startribune.com/reeve-says-mccarville-decided-she-didn-t-want-to-play/303614351/

Reply #529026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry is always injured, it's ridiculous

Reply #529040 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Brief Cayla Francis interview video from Mercury camp:
http://mercury.wnba.com/video/the-annexus-practice-report-52215/

Reply #529479 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

First preseason game of the season and Bec Allen had a solid start. The undermanned NY lineup got hammered by Chicago but Bec played 23 min off the bench for 10 points (4/8 FG, 2/4 3P) and 3 boards.
Would have been quite a reality check guarding Delle Donne though, who piled on 16 & 8 in just 16 minutes.

Reply #529494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://liveaccess.wnba.com/

$15 USD for a subscription.

Probably a decent price point to consider for NBL/WNBL as the popularity of the leagues are similar and you get on average 2/3 games per day with the WNBA (not just 4 games on the weekend).

I think code WNBALA2015 will get you $2 USD off.

Reply #529615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is taylor taking a year off? Hasn't been any mention of her playing......

Reply #529617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes she is.

Reply #529618 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

live access is the best value - used it for years

Reply #529620 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

it is about 18-20$ aus - still excellent value

Reply #529630 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

In today's pre-season action
Allen 11 pts (5/10) & 2 reb in 17 min off the bench
Phillips 11 pts (2/5), 8 ast & 3 stl in 31 min.
Tolo 3 pts (1/8) (ouch) & 4 reb in 19 min.
Both aussies started for LA.

Yesterday:
Bishop 2 pts (1/4) & 4 reb in 18 min (starter)
O'Hea 1 pt (0/4) & 2 ast in 14 min (starter)
Francis 8 pts (4/8) & 5 reb in 22 min (bench)
Madgen 5 pts (2/4) & 2 reb in 13 min (bench)
Mitchell DNP (ankle)

Phoenix play Seattle again tonight. Fingers crossed for Tess! She is in that pool of excess guards in Phoenix from which cuts will soon need to be made, but so far the signs are looking fairly promising for her.

Reply #530254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taurasi is playing elsewhere I believe so Taylor has followed her and they are both out of the WNBA for the upcoming season

Reply #530260 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Taurasi's situation is well documented.
Her contract with UMMC requires her to not play in the Russian off-season, so she has this summer off.
Conveniently, Penny is a free agent and out of contract atm, so she is able to do as she pleases.
I'm guessing she'll skip the entire season, though she has left the door open for a possible return in the second half of the season.

Reply #530264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allen has probably exceeded expectations in her 1st few preseason games. (only via boxscores, I haven't watched).

Really great to see.

She is probably one of the few that comes through with the potential to be more then a role player although getting more then 20 minutes a game in that league without being a high draft pick isn't easy.

Reply #530265 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I haven't watched either (preseason games aren't shown on WNBA LiveAccess) but the few reports I've read of her play have been positive.
It's hard to gauge much of anything from preseason games, but history says that if you're getting good minutes at this stage, it's a good sign. The fact that she seems to be fairly efficient scoring-wise is nice too. We already know she can hold her own on defence.

She is in a very good situation in NY. She's not a high first round draft pick, so there isn't that pressure of high expectations weighing on her. She's on a pretty mediocre team that's trying to get better, so there are also good opportunities for her to increase her role and her minutes if she can play at a high level.

Reply #530267 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

More pre-season action.
Seattle 73 @ Phoenix 79
O'Hea 3 pts (1/3) & 3 reb in 17 min (start)
Bishop 5 pts (2/5) & 1 reb in 15 in (start)
(her 2/5 included 1/4 3PA, which is ... odd)
Francis 11 pts (3/6) & 3 reb in 15 min (bench)
Madgen 0 pts (0/1), 1 reb, 1 ast in 10 min (bench)
Mitchell 2 pts (1/4), 5 ast in 19 min (bench)

Phoenix made 2 cuts after the game, but all the aussies survived them.

LA 64 @ Connecticut 57
Tolo 6 pts (3/5), 1 reb, 4 stl in 26 min (start)
Phillips 12 pts (4/7), 4 reb, 7 ast in 30 min (start)

Reply #530437 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Looks like Tess has survived the remaining cuts and made it to Phoenix's final roster. Great news! :D

(this according to Ben Madgen's tweet)
"So proud and excited for my sister @tessmadgen for making the Phoenix Mercury's roster. Hard work really pays off. What a superstar! #WNBA"

Reply #530713 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Bec Allen 21 minutes off the bench today for 10 points (4/11 FG, 2/6 3P), 1 reb, 3 ast, 1 st, 1 bs in the last game before the regular season tips off this weekend. Caps off a solid pre-season for her.

Phoenix Mercury had their media day overnight
http://mercury.wnba.com/media-day/
Mercury GM Tim Pitman talks briefly about Cayla & Tess at the 9 minute mark
Sandy Brondello is interviewed at 28:00 (at 23:00 if you feel like 5 minutes of fluff first)
Leilani Mitchell at 38:00
Cayla & Tess interviewed at 50:00

Reply #530847 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Very solid start by the aussies in the WNBA this season.
Yesterday Bec Allen had an excellent game for NY, playing 19 min off the bench for 6 pts (3/6), 3 reb & 3 steals. Her first basket was an encouraging drive to the hoop after beating a defender off the dribble on the perimeter. She got a little excited and forced a couple of ill advised 3's but overall looked good, not overawed, and played some very nice defence.
She played again today. I didn't watch this one - a road loss to the Mystics - but she went 0/4 in 14 min but did get 6 boards & 2 blocked shots.

Cayla played well in Phoenix's win over the Stars. 17 min off the bench, including being on the floor down the stretch of a close game, so Sandy already putting faith in her from day 1. 10 points on 5/7 shooting - both misses being 3 point attempts. 3 rebs & 2 steals. Her D was patchy but not too bad.

Tess didn't make it onto the court, and is going to struggle to do so this season with so many guards on that roster.

Today we had 4 aussies starting in the one game as LA played in Seattle ... and got smashed. O'Hea 8, 3 & 3) & Bishop (2, 3 & 3) were both solid; Erin (11, 2 & 5 + 2 stl) played well in a losing cause. Marianna (3 & 3) struggled a little. Hung around the perimeter a lot of offence and even attempted a 3 at one point, which was odd. Didn't look too comfortable out there. Hopefully she'll be fine once she adjusts to the tempo of this league though.

Reply #531593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No beç allen today for the liberty. Injured? Or just not getting on the court this fame?

Reply #532195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

knee niggle, didn't suit up.

Reply #532203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice debut from tess today. Few steals. Hit a 3. Stats said solid not outstanding.
hope we see bec back on the floor soon too

Reply #532639 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I thought Tess looked very tentative out there, but totally understandable in her first game, and a tense one it was too. Nailed her only shot attempt though and started looking a little more comfortable by the end of the game. Nice to see Sandy giving her so many minutes, but I guess that was smart with that being game 1 back-to-back road games.
Cayla was pretty average unfortunately. Reality check game at both ends. She's been thrown in the deep end with Griner missing for the first 7 games but she'll be better for the experience in the long run.

Worrying about Bec Allen, with a comment being made that she may need minor surgery on the knee. Fingers crossed that minor is all it is.

Reply #532660 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Well I hope Joyce was watching that game.
Francis got understandably Boguted to the bench today in place of Bass. She responded with 8 boards, a couple of blocks, and much better shot selection, though her D and her care of the ball was still frustrating.

Tess Madgen earned herself 20 minutes of valuable time until an ankle sprain took her out of the game down the stretch :(
She looked in a lot of pain. Hopefully it's not too serious. Rotten timing.

The real story was Leilani Mitchell knocking down 6/8 from 3 point territory on her way to 22 points. She's tiny but she's by far our (Opals) best floor general and has always been able to knock down the open shot.

Reply #532693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its early although Leilani has been one of the better point guards in the wnba this season. She'll likely get better once Griner returns.

Reply #532695 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Some alley-oop assists would look good on her resume ;)

Reply #532698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So would some defence.

Reply #532700 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yeah she's no Erin Phillips at that end, though she's far from alone there.

Reply #532702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's a billion times better than Tessa Lavey though Brendon joyce can't see it

Reply #532703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, a point guard's main job is to lead and organize the offence with skill and IQ..not defence as many thinks here in Australia. Defence is nice if you have some of it but must not reduce your capacity to run offence. There are plenty of role players (glorified as defensive specialists)you can use to cover D. Steve Nash did not become NBA MVP 2 in a row because of his D.

Reply #532720 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

The two things are pretty much mutually exclusive. Obviously you want your players to be good at both ends and there's no reason they shouldn't aim for that.

Defence is everyone's responsibility. One bad/lazy defender can bring down 4 other good ones.
Leilani's main deficiency in that department is her size. I've never noticed her particularly lacking in the effort department, reading the play, or excessively gambling on D, and I don't think her size is nearly as big of a deal as some (eg. Laimbeer) do.
She's certainly the closest thing to a Harrower type pure point guard that we have.

Reply #532727 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Cayla Francis just misses the double-double. 9 pts & 10 reb as the Phoenix upset the Lynx
Leilani 11 pts, 7 ast & 3 steals.
Tess with only 1 token minute in this one but that's good news that the ankle is obviously not too bad.

Unlike poor Bec Allen's knee "niggle" which has become season-ending for her :(
That really sucks after a very promising start.

Reply #532799 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Abby Bishop 18 pts, including 4/9 from 3, in Seattle's win over LA. Very nice.
O'Hea shot poorly but had 5 assists.
For LA, Erin had a very solid 10, 5 & 5 game, while Tolo had 5 pts & 6 reb.
All 4 aussies started that one.

Reply #532802 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Some more nice performances by the aussies today, but all in losing efforts unfortunately.
Cayla got Phoenix back into the game when she came in. 13 points (6/10), 6 boards, 2 steals & 3 blocks in her 20 minutes.
O'Hea & Bishop had nice games too, but the Storm blew a rare chance to beat the Lynx, helped a bit by Abby's unfortunate and-1 foul down the stretch.
Jenna 10, 2 & 2, and Abby 11 & 7.

Tess played 4 minutes with just a PF to show for it. Expect Cayla's minutes to drop now with Griner available from the next game, although hopefully the 2 of them can spend some time side by side in the front court. I think they could make quite a handy combo if there are some opposing 4's that Cayla can stay with.

Reply #534452 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Phillips & Tolo with games to be proud of this morning, although the Sparks ended up losing in OT thanks to a very nice play Brondello drew up to get Leilani open for her only 3 of the night.
Marianna did a great impression of the 2014 worlds the way she competed against Griner, and finished with 10, 4 & 4, plus 3 blocks herself, before fouling out late in the game. A couple of illegal screens cost her today, but overall she is looking great.
Erin was 4/6 from outside the arc in her 20, 4 & 5 performance.
The Sparks are, as expected, starting to look distinctly dangerous as they get their injured & overseas players back into action.

For Phoenix, Cayla has predictably seen her minutes slashed with Griner back, and unfortunately Madgen was the player cut to make way for Xargay's arrival from Spain.

Reply #535846 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Serious looking injury to Tolo in this game @ Indiana.
Hopefully not the dreaded ACL :(

Reply #546321 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

The terrible news for Tolo is confirmed :(

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2015/08/28/los-angeles-sparks-center-marianna-tolo-to-undergo-acl-reconstruction-surgery-no-timetable-on-return/

Big blow for the Opals.

Reply #546763 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Seattle Storm Season Recap: Jenna O'Hea

http://storm.wnba.com/news/season-recap-jenna-ohea/

"She sought to break that pattern and worked with assistant coach Ryan Webb to add to her game and it was something that was evident as the season wore on. O¹Hea took the ball off dribble more and more and became a playmaker for her teammates."

Reply #571434 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754