what the
Years ago

why waste Underdale stadium!

when we have a few run down district stadiums - why are they considering pulling down Underdale.
i know BASA have no money to buy it (like St Clair) - and if they do they are hypocrites purchasing it and crying poor - but surely they could work something out.
It is surely a better stadium than Hillcrest, Marion, St Clair and Port Adelaide - and centrally located.
What's the update?

Topic #364 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

BASA has no ownership at St Clair, and only lease the stadium for the court time.

It is only used for lack of any other reasonable facility in the area.

Reply #2693 | Report this post

04astatsguru  
Years ago

Is the Underdale gym to be demolished? Woodville do not like the Dome. Why don't they move there? This State can not afford to lose any indoor sports facility. Re; Saint Clair. My memory of that facility goes back to the day when the western wall collapsed. I am not old only ancient. I believe that St. Clair is run by CASA not BASA.

Reply #2773 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Stats gury, very true re St Clair, CASA do run the stadium

Underdale is being demolished as the government has sold the land, and it is going to be turned into a housing development.

Reply #2774 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If the government demolish this stadium, I can only say what a waste of a good facility. Some of our district clubs operate out of nothing but tiny tin sheds. This stadium is excellent, particularly for ABL games as there is plenty of spectator seating and plenty of parking. BASA should try and do a deal with the Government to take over this stadium and some of the land around it in exchange for the land on some of their inferior stadiums. Just a thought.

Reply #2790 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

here, here EC - well said - Marion and Hillcrest (and probably Port)- do not even have correct FIBA dimensions (2 metres around sideline clear)Underdales ceiling (straw) may have to change as a fire risk, but the floors are good, lightining good - car park, amenities are ok, good grand stand - it is just a tragedy to see it go.
The housing $ obviously will outweigh any other competition at present.
If the district competition is the cream of our basketballers in SA - we need to have better stadiums than social recreation centres.

Reply #2792 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

St Clair is in a great location, good car park - and good size, it's floor will outlive all of us. But it is woefully run down - it has not changed since i played there as a kid in the 1960s - and would need a lot of money spent on it to get it mickey mouse.
The score benches and court sizes are all out as well.
Leave Woodies at the Dome - it needs a tennant - but Underdale is too good to let go and be pulled down - BASA could rotate some district games thru there - maybe get rid of 10pm district games - yeah!!!

Reply #2794 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Obviously people dont realise BASA has NO, NADA, ZIP, absolutely no control over Underdale.

There are no BASA games even held there, only Church games, who have new venues pretty much sorted.

Underdale is gone. Nothing that can be done about it. Abd trust me the government aint gonna scrap a multi million dollar land sale to provide a facility for 10 extra basketball games a week.

Reply #2797 | Report this post

faluse name  
Years ago

hasnt underdale been bought buy a developer, and is being cleared to make way for housing? coz i heared that basa was trying to get it for the warriors but missed out? just wat i heared

Reply #4732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yer thats right, all the nice green ovals and parks around the university and underdale stadium is going to be used for housing development. what a waste of a great sporting facility just for housing...

Reply #12157 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:34 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754