#GimmeSomething
Years ago

Natalie Burton / Opals - I don't get it?

I watched the Melbourne Boomers play the last 2 weeks (in person last week Vs Townsville) & watched Natalie Burton closely last week & to be fair she was destroyed by Batkovic & Francis last week in any head to head battle. I'm not sure what her relevance is for the Opals? J0yce keeps going on about her defensive qualities & quite frankly I don't see them. He also constantly puts out that dribble about the 'international basketball game' & how she is suited to it. What a crock of sh** it's still basketball it just his way of selecting players to the Opals & omitting players out of the program i.e. Bishop.

Topic #36418 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's her speed in transition, her athleticism and 1 on 1 defence apparently.

Don't worry, with Francis being signed in the wnba and bishop having a killer season...
Expect the rio front court to look like:

Jackson/Francis/bishop
Cambage/tolo

If there's an injury, which is a good possibility...
Batkovic, hodges, burton, bunton, mijovic are the only other real options.

Reply #513703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have many 6'2 and 6'3 sized power forwards in the wnba, so her height shouldn't be an issue like he says. Dupree is only 6'2, ogwumike is 6'2-6'3 and don't forget our very own starting 5 had hodges at pf who is only 6'3.

Would you consider hodges better than bishop?

Reply #513705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You expect Jackson as the starting 4 in Rio?

Reply #513720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a possibility...

Reply #513721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce's conception or should we say misconception of what equates an international player has long been a conversation point, primarily with himself.

Burton is far too weak, and not game savvy for international standards, anyone who actually plays at that level will tell you that.

Reply #513722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce has a fascination with thinking he discovers talent.
Burton was out played at COE even in SEABL. Can't believe she gets the run she does with opals.

Agree - Bunton, Mijovic and Sherf are better options than Burton. Forget Batkovic she is to old and too cranky.

Reply #513724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see Boomers beat Rangers. Wright was great rotating only two bench players and clearly out coached even with two WNBA All stars.

Keep up the good work Mark we all love watching you choke come business end of every season.

Reply #513725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Guy had more players on the court that will be playing in the wnba in 2015.

Reply #513729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't rule batkovic out. She's solid, tall, good post defender and has range on her shot. All the other options are one dimensional.
What is she like 2nd in points and rebounds atm in the wNbl?
Yeah she's old, but she is still far better than hodges, mijovic, bunton, burton and scherf.

Reply #513733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guy had young players who have never stepped foot on NBA court.
10 times less budget and 10 times better coach, person and developer of players.

End of story.

Reply #513735 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"You can't rule batkovic out. She's solid, tall, good post defender and has range on her shot. All the other options are one dimensional.
What is she like 2nd in points and rebounds atm in the wNbl?
Yeah she's old, but she is still far better than hodges, mijovic, bunton, burton and scherf."

totally agree

Reply #513736 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Griffin is the other possibility for the Rio frontcourt if naturalised, it could come down to her and Bishop.

Reply #513750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Batkovic has experience that money cannot buy, she's also more sound than Jackson , even though she Carly's injuries. Sherf and Mijovic are way off.

Agree re Wright, he really needs to use his bench more to give his leading players the chance to rest to be able to have the legs to finish the game strong, but Rangers did have a shocker today, the uneven foul count didn't help nor the fact Taylor and Pondexter, tried to do too much themselves.
But they will bounce back

Reply #513752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MacLeod is a significant out for the rangers. Quality player. They have a real weakness in the middle though.
Awesome game by the boomers. Good talent and excellent coaching.

I agree with the above about Suzy for the Opals. An automatic inclusion when you look at the alternatives.

Reply #513754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If batkovic is to return...
I think tolo would be better at pf. Quick feet, good defender and has the mid range shooting. Her rebound count though is poor. averaging only 5-6 a game. Better to put big rebounders like cambage and batkovic with big bodies in the centre.

So if there's major doubt over burton and supposed size/speed issues with bishop and hodges age and versatility.

Could we possibly see a huge front court of:
6'5 Tolo 4/5
6'5 Jackson 4/5
6'4 Francis 4/5
6'8 Cambage 5
6'5 Batkovic 5/4

It seems almost certain now that the rest of the team in rio will consist of:
Phillips(wnba?), madgen(mercury) Mitchell (mercury), Taylor(wnba?), Allen(Liberty), Ohea (wnba?), jarry (wnba?) and most likely Talbot. (Mercury?)

Reply #513760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely not Jarry, she's a liability not an asset.

Reply #513762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who then, kunek?

Reply #513763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blicavs perhaps?

Reply #513765 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think we'll see a huge frontcourt, I don't think Joyce will want to play a slow game, but I certainly think it will be a bigger frontcourt than in Turkey and not quite the same pace for 40 minutes.

Reply #513767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need a bigger front court. That's for sure.

You would think griner, Fowles, Parker and della Donne will all be in rio along with maybe a Charles, Dupree or ogwumike.

Reply #513770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG Blicavs ! Please no.

Reply #513781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, most say no jarry...
But they can't add would replace her?

Reply #513783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry will need to play some basketball in order to make the Rio team.

Reply #513785 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Jarry will play some basketball soon. Fingers crossed she can stay healthy for a while. Poor girl has had a horror run of bad luck with injuries.

Reply #513788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry jarry is useless, she did nothing at world apart from make mistakes and get in the way. You could replace her with several
Allen
Kunek
Talbot
Just to name a few without even thinking

Reply #513798 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

She is far from useless, but she is also far from a certainty for Rio too. There's definitely a lot of competition at those forward positions.

Reply #513801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imo there's no competition in the guard/forward positions really. Looking at the list of Sg/sf's, apart from this the girls listed, theres no one else worth looking at. We basically know who will be the pg's and the pf/c's, filling 8 of the 12 roster spots... Which means 4 to choose from the list below. Based on form, the first 4 will go without question. Taylor and Ohea in the guard positions as they can both handle the ball well and Allen and Talbot in the sf spots, both of whom are great defenders and bring something extra to the table.

Taylor 2/3
Ohea 2/3
Allen 3/2
Talbot 3/2
Kunek 2/3
Jarry 3/2

Lock it in...
1/2 Phillips/ 1/2 madgen/ 1 Mitchell
2/3 Taylor/ 2/3 Ohea
3/2 Allen/ 3/2 Talbot
4/5 Jackson/ 4/5 Francis/ 4 bishop
5 Cambage/ 5/4 tolo

(Injury in the pg/Sg spot = 2/1 ebzery or 2/1 cole call up)
(Injury in the guard/forward spot = 3/2 jarry or 2/3 kunek call up)
(Injury in the front court = 5/4 batkovic or 5 bunton call up)

Reply #513811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek? All she can do is shoot a decent 3pt shot and whinge on fouls against her.

Ball handling/attacking the rim is poor.

Reply #513813 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Mark Wright, buying championships again, his bench use today was awful...Guy Malloy reminded me of Bernie Harrower doing that against Dandenong in the second semi of their first championship season.

I'd take Blicavs over Kunek, she's actually developed her game and taken it up another level after making the move to Bendigo.

If Kelsey Griffin does get naturalized, I'd take her.

Reply #513814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin would be great but I just don't think its gonna happen.

Reply #513855 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

I heard she got her permanent residency a few months ago, I have no idea how the process goes further to gaining citizenship.

In this article she says it would be great if it were to happen, so I guess she's aware of it.

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20140503/kelsey-griffin-connecticut-sun-open-preseason-vs-new-york-liberty

Reply #513856 | Report this post

RDC  
Years ago

I haven't seen Bishop mentioned. She's first sub off the bench for mine,

Reply #513859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be a killer team for sure...

Pg/sg 5'8 Phillips (sparks?)
Pg/sg 5'10 madgen (Mercury)(-5'7 Lavey)
Pg 5'5 Mitchell (Mercury)
Sg/sf 6'1 Taylor (Mercury?)
Sg/sf 6'1 Ohea (storm?)(-5'11 snell)
Sf/sg 6'1 Allen (Liberty)
Sf/pf 6'2 griffin (sun)(-6'1 jarry)
Pf/c 6'5 Jackson (storm?)(-6'3 hodges)
Pf/c 6'4 Francis (Mercury)
Pf 6'3 bishop (storm?)(-6'4 burton)
C 6'8 Cambage (shock?)(-6'2 Richards)
C/pf 6'5 tolo (sparks?)

Reply #513878 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

^ off the top of my head I can't think of a change I would make to that 12.

On balance I'd probably like one more SG, but on form/ability it's tough to pick one. Snell & Cumming would be my possible contenders, but the Opals program doesn't seem to be a fan of Steph for some reason, and it's starting to get late in the piece to introduce her to the squad. (If it were my squad I would do so for sure at the post-season Opals camps)

I applaud Joyce for giving some younger prospects some genuine opportunities to this point.
But the Olympics is the tournament where you stop experimenting, and just put your very best team out on the floor. The day after it's over you can resume blooding for the future again.

Reply #513880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's 5 very capable sg's on that team... Why would you need more?
If there was a change I'd take ebzery before I'd take cumming. Ebzery has speed on her and also can play the 1 if necessary. I'm sure that's why she was brought into the Coe to refine her skills.

Reply #513881 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I like Ebzery but she's pretty small for a 2 internationally.
Calling O'Hea a SG is a stretch, but one I can probably live with. Calling Taylor one is even more of a stretch. She can handle the ball and is one of the best passers going around, but her defending other 2 guards is just a bad idea. That's my main issue with Jenna at the 2 as well. The defensive end.

I think I can live with it though, when I look at which genuine SG's could come in. Overall I like that 12, and hope that Griffin will be available to us.

Reply #513883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebzery is the Same height as cumming...

Reply #513884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The trouble is both Allen and griffin or allen and Talbot don't have great ball handling at the 2 and will get picked off quite easily.

Taylor and Ohea have run the show in the past. Both descent ball handlers compared to the others. Both can penetrate and shoot the 3. Allen is more of a spot up shooter and griffin more of a banger, the 1 per centers. Much like Talbot but with much more experience.

Reply #513887 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"Ebzery is the Same height as cumming..."

Really? That surprises me a little. She's very slight compared to Steph. She's built for speed, whereas Steph is built for contact. Which of those is preferable is arguable I guess. I just think that Steph's game would translate well to the next level up.

Reply #513889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebzery 177cm, cumming 178cm.

I've thought about it also. But now I realise you have to be able to do more than 1 thing well. Snell is a good 3 point shooter but she offers nothing else. Cumming is primarily a mid range spot up shooter. Taylor does it all, Ohea is basically at 2/3's the level of Taylor. Allen is a great shooter near or far, gets steals... Rebounds.. Etc. griffin has mid range but her defence and tenacity on the boards is what makes her great. she always has a Nice balance of stats.

Reply #513899 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you can shoot and defend at a high level there's usually a spot for you in international basketball.

Reply #513901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

current averages wnbl.

Allen 15 ppg 6.2 rbd 1.8 ast 1.9 stl 0.9 blk 40.6 fg% 82.9% ft 34.6 3pt%
Griffin 16 Ppg 9.1 rbd 1.6 ast 1.4 stl 0.6 blk 51.1 fg% 78.8 ft%
Talbot 12.6 ppg 7.5 rbd 3.2 ast 0.9 stl 0.4 blk 43.5 fg% 76.6 ft%
Kunek 13 ppg 3.9 rbd 0.8 ast 0.4 stl 0.3 blk 42.7 fg% 90.6 ft% 39.2 3 pt%
Blicavs 12.1 Ppg 4.8 rbd 1.4 ast 1.4 stl 0.5 blk 46 fg% 76.1 ft%
Cumming 11.2 ppg 2.8 rbd 2 ast 0.6 stl 0.3 blk 41.8 fg% 82 ft% 34.8 3pt%
Snell 14.8 ppg 4.5 rbd 3 ast 1.1 stl 0.5 blk 45.5 fg% 95.1 ft% 39.1 3pt%

Reply #513906 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That doesn't mean a lot, it will be more about how they can fill a particular role in the national team which is likely to be different from at their club teams.

Reply #513916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would you take Paul?

Reply #513917 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I really don't know yet! There are some very talented players to come in and the 12 who went to Turkey played outstanding basketball.

Personally, I think Joyce has to make some tough decisions between flat-out talent and those who will fill a role that allows the stars to shine.

He will also have tough choices to make about his style. The high-pace, high-pressure style is something other countries struggle with, but the best available players mightn't be ideally suited to that style.

No doubt the strength and conditioning people will be working some stars pretty hard to get them into shape to fit what the team needs.

Reply #513923 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If I were to guess the Rio team though, assuming Griffin makes it (and Mitchell isn't classified as naturalised so both can play), I'd guess:

Cambage, Tolo
Griffin, Francis, Bishop
Allen, Jarry
Taylor, Snell
Phillips, Mitchell, Lavey

Reply #513935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't be serious? Jarry ok.. Maybe. But snell and Lavey?

Reply #513940 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's my guess at who Joyce will pick. We'll see how close I am in a year and a bit.

Reply #513944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you think Lavey brings to the table?
Speed and 1 on 1 defence?

Reply #513947 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's why she was picked for Turkey, testing showed her defensive speed was elite by world standards. Given that physical trait will again be a big part of selection she has to be a great chance.

I think she should move to the Boomers next season to get more opportunities to develop her all-around game.

Reply #513957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd like to see Lavey play some minutes in the wnbl before making an Olympic team.

not sure if she is contracted to Bendigo next year although if not she probably needs to move on.

Reply #513959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is defensive speed tested? Is it different to nfl players getting their 40 yard dash tested?

Reply #513962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a huge problem here..
She may be a great defensive guard, putting a lot of pressure on there court leader. She has excellent footwork + speed. But, you can only really use her if you have another descent ball handler that can provide offense on the floor. We know she can't shoot, she doesn't use her ability to pass players and score on the offensive end. And although she has good vision, she still hasn't shown her passing abilities. Shes a descent ball handler in the open floor, but under pressure she is terrible. I think she is a great prospect for the future but she needs a lot of work. No doubt after 2016 she will get her chance. With Phillips being a terrific defender and madgen getting better, I don't think she will be required. Can you see a wnbl bench player beating out 3 wnba players?

Reply #513972 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

She has had ample opportunity in Bendigo this season, especially in the period since Kristi retired.
Zero minutes today in an overtime thriller.
If that's what she adds at WNBL level, for a coach that sees her constantly, there's just no way she should be near an Opals team.
I applaud Joyce for giving the up and coming girls extra opportunities to test themselves at a higher level. For some players it has worked really well (eg. Allen), some held their own and maybe now have extra confidence and incentive to work hard at their continuing development (eg. Burton), but there's no shame if not every gamble pays off.

There's no room for passengers at the Olympics. Especially at the point guard spot.

Now is just not the time for Lavey. I don't care what the athletic metrics say. The is-she-good-at-basketball metrics - i.e. basic observation - quite clearly says no at the moment.

Reply #513977 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The WNBL is largely irrelevant in terms of her selection.

The Opals coaches were pleased with her contribution in Turkey, so whether she makes the team this year and/or next will come down to what she does in Opals camps and games.

I cringed at her selection for the WCs, but I think anyone who still questions it either didn't watch the games or doesn't understand the importance of role players and particularly the role Lavey played in the Opals' defence.

Re her testing, my understanding is the Opals' fitness staff measured players in both 'lab conditions' and on court, so their data sets were pretty complete and specific.

Reply #513981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a socceroos selection criteria that their players are getting consistant weekly gametime in a reasonable league.

Whether Lavey makes the Rio team or not she needs to be playing minutes in actual games of basketball to develop her game, whether its SEABL over the winter or somewhere else in the wnbl next season.

I'm not the coach although I'd be hesistant to take too many players who haven't been playing any minutes (either injury or dnps) in a decent league to any major tournament. You could see the rust in Jarry's game at Tukery. Missed layups, bad passes, bad reads within the offense, etc. You could see the talent, hustle, motor and effort on defense although almost everything she had to do with the ball wasn't pretty.

It didn't show with Lavey, she pushed the ball, passed to Penny or Erin to start the offense and played D full court. 80% of the tournament was junk time, and she played the junkiest of those minutes. Potentially with the perceived risk Brendan took in making the selection I don't think he was going to put her in a position to look bad.

Reply #513989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember, There was one game later on in the worlds comp where she had like 3 turnovers in a row near half court which resulted in the other pg getting lay ups. I think it showed she was not the right choice. I think it was against Belarus. Fundamentally her handles are good in the open, but she doesn't protect the ball very well.
Also, Has any one noticed when madgen takes the ball up, the ball bounces to about shoulder height sometimes? Phillips is clearly our best number 1. And the best young pg coming through is Wallace without question.

Reply #514000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best possible team for Rio

Starters

1. Leilani Mitchell
2. Jenna O'Hea
3. Penny Taylor
4. Lauren Jackson
5. Liz Cambage

Bench

Erin Phillips
Bec Allen
Tess Madgen
Abby Bishop
Cayla Francis
Marianna Tolo
Carley Mijovic/Steph Talbot/Sara Blicavs/

Reply #514031 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I remember, There was one game later on in the worlds comp where she had like 3 turnovers in a row near half court which resulted in the other pg getting lay ups. I think it showed she was not the right choice. I think it was against Belarus."

She had one turnover against Belarus and six for the entire tournament. She wasn't perfect, but as a young player picked to do a role I think it was a good choice, even though it was one I was flabbergasted by when it was made.

Reply #514034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised you would start Mitchell over Phillips after how she played at the worlds.
And mijovic/Blicavs has no chance...atm. It's going to come down to griffin or Talbot.

Reply #514066 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Griffin has the experience and all the little things she does, effort/hustle/etc.

Talbot, lacks that and on the international stage against the American's in particular, she'll get exposed, Griffin you could throw her in and she'd know what's coming and even better, know what to actually do.

If she gets naturalized, what's the process/how does that work for the Olympics and in general ?

Reply #514217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does griffin play sf or pf at Connecticut?

Reply #514218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I can't understand is that Lavey stays at Bendigo. They have given her nothing over the years and still she is there. Perhaps she was lucky to make the Opals but hell she never will again if she never plays at WNBL level. I watched her on TV and felt sorry for her when she came on she seemed lost and so out of the game as she has played so little at this level.

Reply #514242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best possible team for Rio

Starters

1. Leilani Mitchell / Erin Phillips
2. Tess Madgen / Belinda Snell
3. Penny Taylor / Jenna OHea
4. Lauren Jackson / Abbey Bishop / Cayla Francis
5. Liz Cambage / Marianna Tolo

Emergencies In Order

Kelly Wilson (Proven Combo)
Nat Hurst (PG with toughness)
Gabe Richards (If Lauren cant make it, she's in)
Stephanie Talbot (look to the future, rebounds)
Rebecca Allen (cant have in front of any above)
Sarah Blicavs (Plays harder than most,size,defends)
Carley Mijovic (Another scorer, would stretch D)

Others to stop wasting time with;
1. Natalie Burton (Why even comment)?
2. Stephanie Cummings (Backwards fast, SEABL champ)
3. Katie Ebzery (Syd golden girl, not hard enough)
4. Suzy Batkovic (Old, lost movement in right hand)
5. Laura Hodges (Time to move on, great servant)
6. Alex Bunton (Cant run a play, fouls fouls fouls)
7. Alice Kunek (Embarrassing)
8. Rachel Jarry (UFC reason only)
Youth Kids Worth Looking at Seriously.
1. Lauren Sherf (Could be the next best big)
2. Alana Smith (If Stanford develop??)
3. Froling

I'm happy to take any criticism, but this team is the easiest to select and hardest to coach. Joyce will have fun with Cambage and Jackson, if Griffin can be selected I'd shift O'Hea out for attitude.

Reply #514248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allen will be there. no doubt.

Reply #514251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Live it when people name 11 players for a team of 12.

Reply #514252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My pick:

5'8 Phillips / 5'5 Mitchell / 5'10 madgen (ebzery if injury)
6'1 Taylor / 6'1 Allen (jarry if injury)
6'2 Griffin / 6'1 Ohea (Talbot if injury)
6'5 Tolo / 6'4 Francis / 6'3 bishop (burton if injury)
6'8 Cambage / 6'5 jackson (batkovic if injury)

Starting 5.
Phillips works on both ends of the floor. Simply works harder than Mitchell.
Taylor well there's nothing she can't do.
Griffin offers a bit of everything. Points, rebounds, defence. Etc etc.
Moved tolo to pf due to speed in transition, footwork and mid range shooting. Not a great rebounder... But great defender.
Cambage starts big presence in the paint. Nice balance of points and rebounds. Jackson getting older.. Better in the paint at this point during career, still can step outside. Solid body, excellent rebounder and shot blocker. Limited minutes due to ageing body.

20-30 y.o roster. After rio... Leading up to 2019.
5'10 Madgen/5'10 ebzery/5'10 Cole or 5'7 Lavey(no more Phillips or Mitchell)
6'1 Allen/6'2 kunek or 6'1 jarry (no more Taylor)
6'2 Talbot/6'1 ohea
6'4 Francis/6'3 bishop/6'2 griffin (no more Jackson)
6'8 Cambage/6'5 tolo

The future prospects u20 top 3 per position:
5'11 Wallace/5'9 antoniadou/5'9 tupaea
6'1 sharp/5'10 Seaton/6'0 Horvat
6'1 Maley/6'2 k.froling/6'2 brown
6'3 Smith/6'3 a.froling/6'2 hellessey
6'5 Scherf/6'3 mckay/6'3 fareo

Reply #514253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Live it when people have a crack and stuff up themselves. Great Job.
LIVE your WORK!

LOVER or HATER

Reply #514256 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Anne Donovan said she was going to play completely at the 4. But last season I think she played a bit of both.

But the 4 it seems...By this article

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20140503/kelsey-griffin-connecticut-sun-open-preseason-vs-new-york-liberty

Reply #514278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who lists a team that doesn't have Phillips as a starter automatically has a big question mark on their credibility

Reply #514298 | Report this post

Years ago

alana smith a real smoky to move up our national ranks - one of the best womens BBall coaching panels / programmes at Stanford - time will tell - but definite rising star

Reply #514299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Lavey selection was a complete embarrassment and disappointment for many players who beat her convincingly in the WNBL when she is actually on the court. How can someone that cannot get court time in our own very good league but play for Australia. It was a disgrace at Turkey when Joyce played Lavey and left Allen on the bench.

And that is another thing. Joyce absolutely destroyed Allen's confidence in Turkey and now wants to take credit for her making the Liberty team. What a joke. How about her talent got her the signing and who developed that talent over the last two years? Guy Molloy. I would have Guy Molloy as the Australian Opals coach any day over Joyce.

Reply #514344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce's picks were definately odd considering who else was available. But overall he did pretty good. Brondello would be the best choice imo.
Most people seem to think that Lavey, burton, Richards, hodges are out.
snell and jarry are doubtful.
Which leaves 6 spots open...
The consensus is Jackson, cambage, bishop, ohea, griffin(if possible) and madgen will join with Phillips, Taylor, Mitchell, Allen, Francis and tolo.

Reply #514349 | Report this post

RDC  
Years ago

Joyce was co-commentating on the abc for ben v caps... He wouldn't stop talking about Lavey throughout. It was surprising how biased he was particularly given his complete focus on Lavey on a game featuring opals talent including bishop, snell, griffin, Talbot, richards, griffin. On that basis he has already selected Lavey for an opals spot.

Reply #515200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought I was watcing Sky Racing. He talks about the girls like they are racehorses.

Reply #515207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's obsessed with lavey and it's not good

Reply #515220 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:07 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754