Dazz
Years ago

Is DeAndre Daniels good enough for the NBA?

I don't follow the NBA, and haven't seen a full game in a long-time. But I imagine it is still the premier league in the world. And whilst I know some rules are different, and the style of play can be different, I still imagine that NBA players are still just that much bigger, stronger, faster, and more skilled.

Daniels was picked 37th by the Raptors. I don't really know whether that's good or bad, or how long such a player would normally spend "in development"?

He's a different style of player to what I am accustomed to seeing as an import, and I wasn't convinced he was the right fit for the Cats. But he has grown on me. He's a little scrawny, but athletic. He gets a lot of boards, a fair few blocks, and is our 2nd highest scorer behind Beal.
(Not trying to blow his trumpet, just saying.)

Having a player like Ennis was bitter-sweet, because we knew he was destined for the NBA. This is not about comparing the two, but I just wonder (from those who watch NBA) do you think DD has what it takes?

Would he play as an SF there, or more of a "Swingman"? And has he got what it takes for either role at that level?

Topic #36426 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think he is

Reply #513963 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am really not sure what role DeAndre Daniels would have on an NBA team. He has no one particular skill that stands out. No skill, or skill set, that makes him an elite player. He is a skinny, athletic player who has no particular skill apart from just being a generally "okay" basketball player, and getting a C grade in most aspects of his game.

He's not a scorer, He's not a shooter, He doesn't have a notably high basketball IQ, He's not a defensive stopper, He isn't exactly a "glue guy" (even at NBL level). So, what is he?

At this point. No, I don't think he is good enough for NBA. There are probably hundreds of players in the US who offer what he offers plus a little more. I don't see him making the NBA, not next season anyways. I would never say "never", but he needs to develop a skill set that makes him worth investing in.

Reply #513964 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Not even close, unless things change drastically and he develops in every area. At this point he is just a long body type the NBA guys always get excited about but there has to be more. Either way if he is to some how get to the next level, he won't flourish in Perth system. GWB pretty much summed him up.

Reply #513966 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He's very athletic (perhaps more so because he's light) so he gets some good boards and even a few speccy blocks. But he's really strong enough to post-up against typical NBL forwards. Maybe that's ok for a SF?

I think the Cats have got a bit smarter in how they use him. But not sure how or if that would translate to the big leagues?

Reply #513967 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Try him in the Spanish league, wouldn't last. Doesn't have any genuine offensive weapons that make a defence do anything out of the ordinary to stop him. A lot of NBA would be types who are athletic but can do more than Daniels. A lot of late draft picks never get to the NBA, again if he is too make it, one day, he will need to make major strives in his overall game. Would be curious what kind of feedback he has been given from the Raptors.

Reply #513968 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Nope, not good enough to last

Reply #513970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He probably needs to add weight and become a small ball power forward that can hit the three and defend bigger people while switching on to 2s and 3s(Dray Green style).

I haven't watched much of Perth lately although I didn't see him play a minute at the four earlier in the year.

NBA can be right place right time for one of those last few places on a roster that he'll be fighting for.

Reply #513975 | Report this post

Vodka 63  
Years ago

He's been growing on me over the course of the season but I think he is too passive. He also needs to bulk up. Mind you, last year a lot of people were saying that Ennis wouldn't make it in the NBA and he has had a reasonable rookie year so far.

Reply #513976 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gets boards in the NBL (second in the league, by virtue of MPG maybe?) which helps his case, but I don't think he's NBA level now or for a while.

Ennis was stronger and could also play some D and shoot the three. He's playing fewer NBA minutes than Ingles.

Daniels: 15.0/8.1/1.3, 39.9/31.3/66.0.
Ennis: 21.2/7.1/2.1, 46.8/35.5/77.0.

Reply #513983 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's a decent enough player with great length for a SF, if he can get his jumper more consistent and get a bit stronger he's a chance, but there's some work to do.

Reply #513984 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Lots of work to do, yep. His strength on offence is posting up smaller defenders when he gets a mismatch. That's pretty much his only reliable scoring avenue. Outside shot when his feet are set is ok but not great. His decision making is atrocious. Commits to a move and continues with it regardless of how the defence reacts.
Very good rebounder for his position in the NBL, but I think much of that advantage gets lost at NBA level.

Reply #513986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His baseline drives are a guaranteed turnover.

Reply #513987 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Certainly not strong enough yet. He seems to get bullied into turnovers whenever he drives baseline. NBA players are generally stronger than here in the NBL too so he's going to have to spend a lot more time in the gym bulking up.

Reply #513999 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

He won't make the NBA next season.

Too soft. The deficiencies in his last college year scouting report are still prevelant in his play.

He's made no improvement/impact playing the 3 spot (which he was sent here to do).

Jumpshot is incredibly slow.
Jumps with the ball before passing - making dumb decisions leading to turnovers
Can't finish in the paint against stronger opponents

The biggest negative is he is too passive. A guy as passive as he is won't make it in a league like the NBA.

All of that said, he's a solid NBL import, but he's not NBA material and not the draw card Ennis.

I see him getting sent to Europe next year.

Reply #514003 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Think the coaching staff, don't know how to play him. He isn't a guy to hit the game winner or to put 20+ a night. Think we haven't seen exactly what he can do. I will have him back if I could, think the pressure was a bit much replacing Ennis and this yr other players haven't contributed which everyone turns to Daniels and find the negative things. He needs a bit off attitude.

Reply #514007 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Hyperthetical Question - Lets say he doesn't make the NBA this season but the Raptors have liked his progress and suggest he spends another year in the NBL developing. If you are Perth, would you have him back ? Would other teams be interested ?

Reply #514044 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I think he gets more opportunities than he deserves. To me he's about the same level as Torrey Craig so he's doing well to score 15 and 8. I wonder if Perth are obliged to play him a certain way as part of the deal with the Raptors/NBA?

Reply #514052 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Wilson Sting : The word is that Raptors wanted Perth to play him and develop him as a SF and not his natural PF position. Not sure though if there was anything written in the paperwork about this being a must though.

Reply #514054 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

It's more an observation that guys like Redhage and Wagstaff seem to be happy to let him score more points than them, when for the most part they are better players and he should pay his dues.

To me he seems to restrict what Perth are capable of.

Reply #514163 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Train, I think they'd try someone else. And I think most teams might do the same?

Reply #514187 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

That's my line of thought too Isaac.

Reply #514191 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Personally I have always thought Perth needed someone with more inside presence. Traditionally we have always seemed to fair better playing essentially two PF types.

I don't think Perth were "told to play him as a SF," in fact it has taken a while to adapt their play to his abilities. Early on, they were trying to get him to post up, and he clearly wasn't comfortable against the bigger bodies.

I think he is now playing well, in the role they have adapted for him, which I'm guessing is a more classic SF role. Problem is that I imagine at NBA level, even as a SF, he would face bigger stronger opponents?

As for whether Perth would keep him, I'm not sure.
On the face of it, he's a good player and worth keeping. However I feel that Perth would want to persist with the program of using one import slot seeking NBA development players on one-year deals. I also feel that (depending on much of the squad remains intact) with Redhage nolonger in his Prime, they may look for a stronger inside player.

If the Raptors keep him, but want another years development, maybe they would look to Europe as an option??? That said, how ruthless is the NBA? Would they keep him in development or just cut him lose?

As for other teams, I think that for a team that already has a big, productive, local, front court, he could be a good addition.

Reply #514195 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

It was definitely flagged at the start of the season that Perth were going to develop his SF game. That was a fail.

Reply #514196 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That said, how ruthless is the NBA? Would they keep him in development or just cut him lose?

I'm not sure they can cut him, even if they wanted to, which they wouldn't. All they have is first dibs on him if he ever comes to the NBA, they're not paying him any money.

Reply #514198 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

He seems to be all all rounder type of player, good at everything but not amazing in one area, he would need to polish on one of his skills e.g scoring, rebounding and go to to the gym more to make NBA teams interested in him, I can see the Raptors letting him go soon.

Reply #514201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One word answer, NO!

Reply #514663 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

I think his shooting really lets him down. I've watched games were he is 1/12 from the field at half time. No chance for NBA next year but hope he stays in perth

Reply #515034 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Had a great game tonight, but again his "deficiencies" were obvious. With a bit of space to operate, he's dynamic, but against bigger stronger forwards its the same old story. So, to answer my own question, I can't see him making in in the NBA in his current form.

Hit some BIG threes today, which is a real feather. Perhaps if he can keep developing his outside game (and passing) he has a future as a swingman.

Reply #515599 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He needs to learn to stop bulldozing defenders on the break.

Reply #515640 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:07 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754