Isaac
Years ago

Corletto calls out team for infighting

In the post-game, Corletto asked DMac how honest he could be in responding to reporters. DMac was happy for him to let loose.

"I don't think this is a team to be honest," Corletto continued.

"Championship teams play as a team, everyone is on the same page, there is no bitchiness and fighting amongst the group.

"I though this past week was our best week in practice but then one thing goes wrong in the game and we start bitching and moaning at each other and pointing fingers.

"This doesn't sit well with anyone and you don't create a good culture like that.

"When you are down you need to stick together."
Full article

Topic #36432 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I presume the other teams know the main culprits. I don't pay enough attention. Maybe it's obvious who they are. But it must hurt their re-signing chances.

Reply #514010 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

This is effectively the exact question raised at the beginning of the year for Melbourne. Would they be able to keep all the egos on the same page.

I guess we have our answer.

Reply #514011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Went to the game on Saturday and it is clear that Jordan McCrae is only looking for himself to score and doesn't care about running team offences. He will get his 20-25 points and they will lose.

They looked so much better when he was off the court and they were running plays for Daniel Kickett.

Also, David Barlow doesn't look that interested (almost like he thinks NBL is a step down from where he should be). I think that coupled with Tomlinson and Walker being demoted to the bench and having less of a role and looking disinterested, where as last year they played a lot harder.

On paper replacing 1 volume scorer in Goulding with McCrae seems to make sense, but you can't replace the close friendships Goulding had with his team mates and that they would play for each other.

On a different note - how hard would it be for McDonald to coach when the owner of the team stands the entire game behind him on the baseline. Selopy wants to be part of the team, but I have never seen another sport in the world where the owner stands around in timeouts and so close to the coach.

Reply #514013 | Report this post

Green 76  
Years ago

Corletto is right. McRae is talented but selfish. It seems like Tomlinson, McRae, Wortho and Kickert spend all their time moaning to the refs as you can see on Tomlinson and Kickerts twitter. Barlow and Walker look disinterested.

Reply #514015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corletto gets in and throws his team-mates under the bus before anyone else can - that's the sign of a true loser.

Reply #514018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DMac needs to get control of the team first and foremost.

He's the coach.

If they're going at each other and going at Ref's there's some discipline issues right there by themselves.

Training is where you point fingers and challenge each other.

Slopy needs to be told to go take his seat in the stands...

Reply #514022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This isn't the 90's. Teams and even businesses now understand the value of character as much as talent.
Everyone could see this year that this list had some questionable characters.
Corletto has been on some great teams in the past decade and I think he isn't throwing the team under the bus, just giving the guys a wake up call. If other players on the team like tomlinson walker etc can't handle it coming from him, then he is being proven right.
Fans also see the same thing. A main reason why my family and I can't bring ourselves to support the club, even though we are Victorian.

Reply #514023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep calling out his team-mates is great - who calls him out then?

Reply #514025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While there are obviously some issues with that team, I can't see how Corletto is helping them by speaking out about them. Surely, that should be handled outside of the media. Anyway, he has some form with this sort of thing - if he's only been signed for 1 season, I wouldn't be rushing to extend that contract.

Reply #514027 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think they've been 'handling' it outside the media all year and it obviously hasn't worked. They probably should have tried this way a week or two ago because it's probably too late now.

Reply #514030 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree with Paul. Corletto's move is their last chance to revive this season. Either it brings them together and they have a go at making this last playoff spot or the team continues to implode.

Reply #514049 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Tomlinson and Walker had great seasons last year. Then United came along and tried to make the brand sexy by bringing in the big guns but it has failed. They would've been better off continuing to develop the core players instead of shoving them on the outer.

Reply #514051 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I don't know that blaming the whole group for bitching etc is throwing anyone under the bus.

Reply #514059 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Is it throwing them under the bus if it is true?

They have obviously tried addressing it in house but hasnt worked and maybe they feel the fans need an explanation even though they are more than likely aware.

I think it was a business decision to try and salvage the fan base for next season, they'll just need to ensure they make some roster changes for next season now!

Reply #514065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Anon...pretty sure Cuban is right behind the bench at very dallas away game...does do them any harm.

Corletto calling out team mates is funny...he is known as a sook/bitch so it must be pretty bad for him to make these kind of statements!

Maybe they could rebrand: Melbourne Not So United

Reply #514068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This whole United experiment is a joke - bring back the Tigers. Corletto is a sook and I'm not sure he is the one who should be calling people out. DMac needs to step up although it's too late.

Reply #514074 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Would the team being called the Tigers have made any difference to the way the team has played at times this year?

Reply #514077 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If anyone would know about what's involved in having a successful team, it'd be Corletto given his history in the NBL.

Every team has leaders. Every team has guys who speak up and then guys who go about their job more quietly. Maybe United just has too many chiefs and not enough Indians, and maybe it's just a situation where there’s a few too many personality clashes in the group. They need a guy like Zen Phil Jackson (or maybe Goorjian) to get them all marching to the beat of the same drum. Not an easy job. And maybe they need to more carefully consider personalities and team morale issues when they put the team together.

Some might say the writing was on the wall earlier in the season when Boti reported a dust up at training. But I think it’s worth remembering that this kind of thing only rears it’s head when teams are losing. For example Wortho’s always been a whinger but no one cared when he was a part of successful teams under Goorjian.

Reply #514079 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Uwe Blab: I totally agree. This hang up on the Tiger name is ridiculous

Reply #514081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The re-branding to United does put more pressure on the team to succeed (see Anstey quitting the team after 1 game when he realised he couldn't get the team to buy in to what he wanted to do). Any new brand wants a positive image from the outset yet United are just showing how badly organised they are and lack any form of control.

If they want to build a strong culture for next season the only players I would keep would be Tomlinson, Walker, Odigie, Corletto, Kickett and Patton. Would get 2 new imports and look for better team players than what Worthington and Barlow are giving them now.

Tomlinson - Corletto
Import - Odigie
Walker - Local
Kickett - Local
Import - Patton

Reply #514095 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree with #514013 - McRae doesn't look like a team player, Barlow is either a husk or disinterested (must be the points cap...), and Walker and Tomlinson have had their confidence shot by demotion (a la Demos in Wollongong).

Guys like K White, Teys, etc get minutes from coaches because they are team players and committed to the cause. I don't see that in McRae or Barlow, whatever their status level.

Reply #514101 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

McRae is clearly in this league to get his. Im sure his agent made it very clear after Ennis season, to get his stats and if the team wins so be it. Not the first, won't be the last, but with the right direction from the coaches can atleast try and sell the guy on being team first.

Reply #514104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think to call the entire United "experiment" a joke is too broad a generalisation. The initial "rebranding", and how it was announced, was clumsy and poorly handled. To have the owners be the sole faces at the announcement, without players, made it seem too cold and calculated a decision. Hardly inspiring of passionate fan support.

They didn't justify the decision well enough and didn't really have any control of the narrative in the media. It's a little like how Rudd was replaced by Gillard. It was sprung upon the public seemingly out of the blue. Gillard/the Labor Govt struggled to explain/justify the change and effectively had no control of the narrative from thereon.

The initial rebranding notwithstanding, much of what they have done since has been commendable. They appear committed to better community engagement, investing more into promotion and marketing, putting more effort into the game day/night experience (especially with the move to Margaret Court Arena), and they put together a roster that, at least on paper, had fans/observers interested, more so than in recent years.

Unfortunately it hasn't panned out as they would have hoped. The roster turned out to lack balance, and the coaching wasn't up to the job. You could also question just how effective their strategy to try and embrace and represent the whole of the Victorian basketball community has been. But they've certainly invested a lot of time and money into improving and growing the sport.

Reply #514116 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

McRae must just be a bad bloke that his teammates are fed up with, if he's playing the 4 spot in their shuffle it can be all about him getting his, and the team would expect that.
I think the others must be bitching about not getting theirs, all the starters expect equal distribution of the ball, but the shuffle is not a democratic approach to scoring like a motion.

Reply #514122 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Corletto has played on successful teams before and is a veteran of this league why the hell shouldn't he be the one to speak up to his team mates?
I thought that was the benefit of having veterans on a team, experience & composure?

Reply #514126 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Comfortability.

I feel like that's why Barlow and Worthington are like they are.

Its comfortability. Worthington has gone from contract to contract (good money) - he has never really appeared in shape or supremely fit. Barlow has this mentality as if "I've been in Europe, I'm comfortable here. No one is going to show me the door".

That's the problem. These guys are so comfortable in their position, because they get thrown contracts easily, based on who they are or what they've done.

There is limited competition and no responsibility from the players themselves. They have this mentality like "hmm no one is challenging me for my spot..i"ll always have an open position in this league".

Reply #514129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

comfortability LOL

Reply #514176 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

So Corletto responds to his teammates' bitching,
by bitching about his teammates???

And why does everyone always get stuck into the best player on the team? "oh he's selfish, he only wants to pad his own stats."
Maybe he doesn't pass more because all the old hasbeens can't hit the side of a barn?
Maybe he's trying to lift the team in the only way he knows how?

Is it the chicken or the egg?

Just saying.
I clearly don't watch enough of MU to really comment one way or another, but I just wonder if these off-court problems aren't stemming from their on-court collapse?

Reply #514189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't comment the Dazz

Reply #514192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was encouraged by his coach to be honest is that a crime good on him needs to be done to many selfish players need to pull their heads in.

Reply #514200 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

MU were in the 4, and in strong contention for the finals.
Now the wheels have fallen off.

So I'm just asking the question of those that follow MU closely: Is it the chicken or the egg?

Have their on-court performances suffered because of this (apparent) lack of team unity? OR
Are players getting fed-up because others aren't pulling their weight on-court?

Similar question with MacRae: Does he do the bulk of the scoring because he's selfish? OR
Because he's the most reliable option?

Reply #514208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like MU need to implement the Adelaide Crows "Man Conversation" rules. Don't bitch and moan, address the problem head on.

Reply #514209 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Sounds like MU need to implement the Adelaide Crows "Man Conversation" rules. Don't bitch and moan, address the problem head on." by hiring a Port coach ;)

Reply #514211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh yes but they are so great they have sunk $76k a year for 3 years to buy naming rights to VJBL. such a fantastic organisation doing such great things. What about your team MU . Sort it out before you have no team to ride off and workd domination will fail.

Reply #514231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its the egg dazz, or maybe its the chicken. If you dont follow the team dont bother commenting. Unity or lack there of leads to on court struggles and on court struggles can lead to lack of unity. Im aure united arent sure whuch came first but they suck that much is true.

Reply #514247 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about your team MU . Sort it out before you have no team to ride off and workd domination will fail.
The marketing and on-court stuff is generally managed by different groups. You need not neglect one while fixing the other.

Reply #514269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you may find the same person had heavy involvement in hiring the imports and the marketing.

Reply #514274 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Find a good coach (not one of the old Tigers clubbers), keep Odigie and Walker and maybe Patton, and replace what's left with the many promising youngsters out there.

Or don't that many college kids want to play for Melbourne?

Reply #514275 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Corletto is the biggest trouble maker of all. What kind of a teammate does that? That is not a team first approach, that's a selfish boy looking for 15 seconds. That kind of thing should be sorted out internally. Can't blame DMac for all of it. Players are supposed to be adults.

Reply #514288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe its a desperate last option after a full season of trying to be the teammmate by exmaple? I dont know but maybe hje has simply had enough. Does look like a whingy type though hah

Reply #514295 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

This is the same guy who claimed that the NBL's new reffing points of emphasis were a BA conspiracy to prevent the Breakers winning a fourth championship, after all.

Reply #514297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Respect Corletto for having the guts and conviction to say what many can already see from the outside. He is not diba dobbing or showing no respect for the team. In fact just like an intervention for alcoholics and people in self destruct mode, the first thing is to acknowledge there is a problem rather than hide it. If you don't then you are an enabler. Yes that's right, you enable and condone the problem so it never goes away and more are dragged in to the toxic culture until something dramatic occurs that makes everyone go oh crap but by then the damage is done. That is almost where the club is at now. When you have outed an issue and say yes we see it too, Then you ask those on the outer of the group to give you as the inner group time to open up, raise concerns and have outside professional help to work through an agreed plan. When you have that in place you come back and let everyone know and ask for support along the way. Thats how it works and yes it sounds airy fairy to most but if you truly want this MU to work this approach must be done. It is concerning that the owners have now thrown support to juniors when they can't get their own house in order. As a parent I would not be taking my kids to see the kind of behaviour that is occurring right now, but if i did i would be brutally honest and discuss with my kids what is going on. The reality is most kids are astute enough to see when adults are getting it wrong and so acknowledge it, say a prayer for the team that they can get through it and individuals are not destroyed along the way. If MU can not help themselves first then no one else can help them and you need to walk away. They will either stand up and face the truth or they won't. Tough love is necessary right now and Corletto is giving some. Well done I say. Now they need to do a Joey Wright and bring in someone from the outside to take the lead on fixing the cultural issues that have followed on from Tigers and never addressed. Fancy logos and business skills won't fix this one. When a team starts off so well and deteriorates you have to consider the environment has had an impact. PS why doesn't McMillan see more court time ????

Reply #514326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you all go to the Sen radio website you will hear DMac say the exact same comments the following morning after the game.

Reply #514376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am the poster of that rather large blurb and I am not a victorian, nor seen or heard that from DMac but I guess if we are on the same page then it is all more obvious than I thought and if MU follow the advice, I wish them all the best on their journey back to being as successful as their historical predeeding club. The mighty melbourne Tigers !

Reply #514382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz is either 15 or a complete moron. Posts every 2 minutes and offers nothing.

Reply #514498 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754