Green 76
Years ago

Mickell Gladness signs with Canterbury Rams

Mickell Gladness has signed with the Canterbury Rams in the NZNBL. Be interesting to see how he goes over there.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/65934208/exnba-centre-mickell-gladness-signs-for-canterbury-rams

http://nzhoops.co.nz/gladness-signs-rams/

Topic #36438 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

He will do well Id say, very good defender. Wonder if his scoring will increase in that league...

Reply #514100 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The NZNBL is a small mans league.

He is going to have an absolute field day (ala that ex-36er that won MVP over here..Cooper? or Dench?)

20-10-7 every night (the 7 being blocks)

Reply #514121 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It was Cooper

Reply #514152 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, he'll go from average centre height in the NBL to about 4-5 inches above many of his opponents in NZ. Will come down to how well they use him, but if Kench is back he's a very capable NZ NBL PG to get that job done.

Reply #514159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unfortunately it looks like he lets dudes go past him so he can block them but then doesn't carry a hand to 3pt shooters on a closeout...

Reply #514172 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Could this mean he will be back in the ANBL next season

Reply #514188 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I would think so Tom.

Reply #514213 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think he will be a lot better if he has another go around in the NBL. Most import bigs improve in their second season here after they get used to the bonkers refs.

Reply #514230 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

That's great for the league. Which team though?

Reply #514246 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Interesting.
I think he's a very good (defensive) Centre. Very strong in the paint. Perhaps not completely what an ANBL team looks for from an import.
However I would imagine that at NZ-NBL level he would really dominate inside and become much more offensively valuable? (I'm assuming that at NZ level, his average opponents will be just that little bit smaller, slower, weaker, etc.)

This COULD be a really good move for him.
Most A-NBL teams look to their imports for offence, and at 9 points a game he's probably not doing quite enough.
So he goes to NZ, really steps up his offensive game, averages 20+ and comes back to the A-NBL all the better for it.

Reply #514250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could the NBL team with the NZ NBL to sign imports so when guys finish the NBL season they can play with an NZ NBL team?

Reply #514281 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

a few NBL players playing NZNBL this season.

Cadee & Garlepp are playing for the SuperCity Rangers.

Tai Wesley is back with the Southland Sharks.

Reply #514300 | Report this post

Green 76  
Years ago

Blanchfield is with Southland as well.

Reply #514309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leon Henry has signed with Wellington

is there a NZ NBL thread already?

Reply #514391 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I don't know much about the NZBL, but ill probs keep a close eye on Blanchfield, he is shooting lights out, hope he can continue that great form and come back a true consistent scorer n the NBL!

Reply #514467 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

It's the NBL. There is no ANBL.

Reply #514472 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's right, it's the A NBL.

Reply #514487 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"There is no ANBL."
So there's no NBL in Australia? So WTF have I been watching?

Reply #514511 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Is the NBA the USANBA?

Reply #514542 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Is the NBA the USANBA?
Well, if you're talking about the NBA in the USA, then I suppose it is.

Of course many Americans simply assume that their version of something IS the only one in the world, but I'd hate to think there were Australians guilty of the same puerile arrogance.

Maybe there IS only one NBA, but there is certainly NOT only one NBL.

Reply #514601 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

You're a genius! No wonder everyone complains about the NBL website being outdated. Stop going to www.nbl.com.au and instead go to www.anbl.com.au to see the new and improved website.

Reply #514603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anbl is the Aussie comp. Nznbl the NZ comp. That is how people easily identify the different I leagues.

Reply #514766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good read on whether Gladness will be able to shatter the shot-blocking records in NZ (Almost definitely):

http://nzhoops.co.nz/nbl-history-shot-blocking-records/

Reply #514796 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Probably should set a new record, but also interesting to see if he adopts a slightly different role?

Reply #514812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Anbl is the Aussie comp. Nznbl the NZ comp. That is how people easily identify the different I leagues."

When the thread is titled "Gladness signed with the Canterbury Rams" there is already enough information to easily identify the different leagues.

Reply #514897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Niall Anderson article lists an ANBL... what is that? nah actually, forget it.

Reply #514958 | Report this post

Is there any footage of the NZNBL like nbl.TV or some thing, because I'm really interested at having a look at this league

Reply #516391 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:30 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754