Anonymous
Years ago

VJBL Melb Utd logo for all club uniforms?

Had to hand over my childs uniform to have a VJBL Melbourne UTD Logo put on. Problem is my child plays for a Geelong Club
Just seems strange.Am I wrong or does Melbourne UTD have nothing to do with Melbourne Tigers.

Topic #36440 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry club uniforms

Reply #514155 | Report this post

What if  
Years ago

Melbourne United has nothing to do with the Tigers . They are the sponsor of the VJBL league .

Reply #514162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you, just seemed strange to me.

Reply #514164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Narcism and domination in mind !

Reply #514165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And there it is. Melbourne united has nothing to do with Tigers !!!!

OP you are right to be concerned.

Reply #514166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are a sponsor of the VJBL...it would be no difference if it was Ford or a real estate company.

I think it is good marketing to sponsor the VJBL as at least the logo is on every kids uniform that plays a decent level in Victoria.

Reply #514178 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, agreed. Good to see support flowing back to juniors.

Reply #514183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United tipped in a fairly considerable sum to get those patches on every VJBL uniform. Probably their one positive for the year.

Reply #514205 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I can see both points of view.

Obviously having MU put money into junior basketball is a positive.

And its my (outsider's) view that everyone in Melbourne and Victoria should get behind their single NBL team.
That said, I appreciate there's a bit of angst around this. As people have said "MU don't represent all Victorians or all Melbournians," and/or "nobody asked them to do that."

So whilst putting money in junior ball is a positive, I can see that many would take the patches as MU "forcing" themselves onto people.

Absolutely good on them for contributing, but maybe if they stuck to running clinics, community participation, sponsoring camps, etc, it would be less confronting?

Reply #514212 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"MU don't represent all Victorians or all Melbournians,"

I was lead to believe the same was said of the Tigers?

Reply #514214 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'm not saying that. I am just acknowledging that is an opinion often expressed in this forum.

My point is just that if people genuinely feel that way, then pushing MU on them may not be the best approach.

Reply #514216 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Does anyone know what the money is being used for? EG:, how are the VJBL using the cash or is it in kind?

Reply #514219 | Report this post

What if  
Years ago

21.08.14 14:18 Age: 172 days
VJBL to directly benefit from BV partnership with CTI Melbourne United

Following last week's announcement of Basketball Victoria’s major partnership with the State’s newest National Basketball League team, CTI Melbourne United, the Victorian Junior Basketball League (VJBL) are pleased to share details of the exciting benefits of the partnership to our associations and members.

As an extension of the three-year deal set to enhance the strength and development of the sport throughout Victoria, CTI Melbourne United will also take a major role in supporting the development of the VJBL and our affiliate associations, as well as becoming the official naming rights sponsor of the league.

From November 1, 2014, the VJBL will officially be known as the 'Melbourne United Victorian Junior Basketball League’.

The partnership will also see an injection of funds into the VJBL of seventy-five thousand dollars per annum over the course of the three-year deal, which will see a direct and positive impact on the development of affiliate associations of the league.

The funds will be used to employ a dedicated VJBL employee, whose sole responsibility will be to work closely with the associations of the VJBL on issues of development, management and guidance.

In addition to this resource in the head office, the partnership will also provide funds for added referee development courses, and the ability to expand the other VJBL development programs.

"Basketball Victoria is thrilled to partner with CTI Melbourne United," said Basketball Victoria CEO Nick Honey.

“United is looking to actively engage with the basketball community and we are excited to partner with an organisation who is significantly investing in Victorian basketball’s future.

“The VJBL is one of the largest and most significant junior basketball competitions in the world and it is important that we create a visible connection between our up and coming stars and the elite level.

“This partnership illustrates both Basketball Victoria and CTI Melbourne United’s ongoing commitment to the Victorian basketball community.”

Details of partnership and benefits to the VJBL

· Basketball Victoria announce three-year major partnership with CTI Melbourne United, NBL
· VJBL to be rebranded as ‘Melbourne United VJBL’ from November 1, 2014
· VJBL to receive injection of $75,000 per annum across the three-year partnership
· Part-time dedicated VJBL association liaison to be employed
· New referee development courses and focus
· Expansion of other development programs.

As announced previously, the new partnership between Basketball Victoria and CTI Melbourne United will see three quarters of a million dollars injected into the sport at the grassroots level over three years, with much of these funds going directly into the development of both playing and coaching talent in Victoria.

Both parties have already committed to funding as many as 500 coaching development opportunities for associations over that time, with CTI Melbourne United also agreeing to becoming a key participant in elite player training and high performance programs moving forward.

A major goal of the CTI Melbourne United NBL basketball team is to put a predominantly Victorian list on the floor, which it is hoped will help provide some clarity for junior players on how the pathway to the NBL is paved.

This development is an exciting one for the VJBL and the sport in Victoria. We look forward to working closely with Victoria’s sole representative at the NBL level, CTI Melbourne United, in a partnership committed to growing the sport of basketball in Victoria well into the future. Further details and updates relating to the specifics of how the VJBL will be affected by this new partnership will be provided in the coming days and weeks.

For more information, please contact:
Kylie Hitchiner, Sponsorship & Special Projects, Basketball Victoria
9837 8000 / 0419 363 352
[email protected]

Reply #514220 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Thanks What if. Thats a pretty front up release - most of those would say something along the lines of "due to policy, commercial terms will not be disclosed"

Reply #514222 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"MU don't represent all Victorians or all Melbournians,"

I was lead to believe the same was said of the Tigers?

Yeah, but unlike the Tigers United are intent on pretending otherwise.

Reply #514224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on the track record of those running MU, I wonder if the VJBL is actually receiving $75,000 per annum, or it is a figure "created" by putting nominal values on:
· Part-time dedicated VJBL association liaison to be employed
· New referee development courses and focus
· Expansion of other development programs.

Reply #514226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slepoy and Kestleman aren't sponsoring the VJBL because they are "good guys" - they're getting something out of it. If they sell more Dodo subscriptions, good luck to them...

Reply #514227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of "dodos" out there I guess.

Wonder if any money has really changed hands to the benefit of the VJBL? I really hope so for the benefit of junior basketball in Victoria.

Reply #514228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

75k a year is nothing and a cheap way of selling you soul and independence for the benefit of a few elite. That is not corporate sponsorship that will benifit the masses. Do the math.

Reply #514229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$75,000 would be a terrific sponsorship for the VJBL IF they receive $75,000 as cash per year.

Reply #514232 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

It looks like the 75k is part of a wider BV sponsorship of 250k. If that is correct that is a very significant sponsorship for a state basketball organisation.

Reply #514237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi HO, where did you get that figure from?

Be outstanding if it is correct.

Reply #514243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard a rumour that the $75,000 is the salary of the employee that located at Basketball Victoria to market Melbourne United. (a Melbourne United paid employee) so no cash...

Reply #514249 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I got it from the press release someone posted above.

Reply #514263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be absolutely consistent with the track record of the individual involved. Ask the clubs he has been involved with store how much they received in sponsorship revenue.

Reply #514264 | Report this post

Oswald Cobblepot  
Years ago

"The partnership will also see an injection of funds into the VJBL of seventy-five thousand dollars per annum over the course of the three-year deal, which will see a direct and positive impact on the development of affiliate associations of the league.

The funds will be used to employ a dedicated VJBL employee, whose sole responsibility will be to work closely with the associations of the VJBL on issues of development, management and guidance."
So $75K across 3 years equals $25K across 3 seasons. Is that a problem so long as they do the work?

Reply #514265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the privately owned MU insert a staff member inside the state junior basketball body, receive extremely valuable marketing benefits in return and this is a great thing for the VJBL.

Right, I get it.

Reply #514272 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The partnership will also see an injection of funds into the VJBL of seventy-five thousand dollars per annum over the course of the three-year deal
So $75K across 3 years equals $25K across 3 seasons.

Are there three seasons per year?

Reply #514273 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Without contacting Kylie on her email, my first impressions and comments on the proposal and deal made here are as follows:

1. The positive aspects of development proposals for players, officials and Associations is a grand idea, however how does this fit within the current structures of the NITP and NPP currently in place for players? I expect the officials will be supported via their Associations and an additional pathway will be created for the benefit of referee development, however this is a massive undertaking for one NBL club.

2. Segway into my next concern, if we do get a second NBL team in Melbourne (Vic), should there not be a clause where MU accept that another NBL team here also gets on board to provide such development and community partnership opportunities? If not, then I fear what I though would happen is happening, that is what appears to be an ideal of utopia by the MU board, trying to capture all of the Vic market before a second or third team can make any impact.

3. The only saving grace I have here is that this would never have been possible under the Melbourne Tigers banner, only because they have a Melbourne Tigers VJBL consortium and of course their junior program would be seen as the associated beneficiaries, incorrectly so, but perception would have been too strong and the idea rejected.

Like I said firstly, I would like to digest further detail, however as with my first impressions of the MU take over of the Tigers, that take over seems to be moving in exactly the direction I feared it would...

Reply #514282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne United or Melbourne Divided?

The reason the name change came in, is because the Melbourne Tigers brand would have seen the franchise go broke as many in Victoria wouldn't association with the Tigers brand due to VJBL rivalaries in their junior playing days.. The problem is the name changed but the same imbeciles who were running Tigers are the same people running United. There are also plenty of imbeciles in BV.

This badging is extremely unpopular among associations, I have talked to four administrators of Associations and unanimously they hate the idea and won't support other Melbourne United initiatives. They have also advised me other Association which don't like the idea. They just need one Association to have the courage to stand up to it. The problem is you do oppose it you risk incurring the wrath of BV and VJBL and they can make life difficult.

One of those clubs I spoke with for example has a real estate agent paying $15,000 a year for a naming rights sponsorship which includes badges on uniforms. They now are forced to share that space with the United badge who don't provide a single dollar.

They had a contact(one phone call) from Melbourne United but none from the VJBL. They have no faith at all in seeing anything from BV or the VJBL of any monetary or development value at all through this initiative. They consider their players uniform sacrosanct, and should only be badged for significant sponsorship dollars or not at all.

Instead if they fail to badge players uniforms with the MU logo they are instead threatened with significant fines. So instead of bringing dollars into the club, there is a strong chance of seeing dollars leave the club if teams or players fail to wear a badge.

What a great strategy of getting grassroots clubs behind your franchise, implement an initiative with no consultation which they will see no dollars for, one that they hate an one that will be fined for if they don't cooperate.

You want to know why the NBL and basketball generally doesn't grow like soccer and the AFL then there is no clearer example than this.

It would be interesting to see what clubs like Bulleen, Melbourne Tiger, Dandenong, Knox who all have NBL, WNBL teams or ambitions for one think about this.

Finally i can understand the management morons at BV implementing this strategy, the thing I don't understand is how the owners of MU who run Dodo and should be smart business operators, think this strategy will work, when all they are doing is pissing of club administrations and through the roll on effect club memberships.

Not smart marketing!

Reply #514287 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Instead if they fail to badge players uniforms with the MU logo they are instead threatened with significant fines. So instead of bringing dollars into the club, there is a strong chance of seeing dollars leave the club if teams or players fail to wear a badge.

What a great strategy of getting grassroots clubs behind your franchise, implement an initiative with no consultation which they will see no dollars for, one that they hate an one that will be fined for if they don't cooperate. "

Yeah, if people/ teams/ associations already resent or dislike MU, this doesn't seem like a good move.
It also seems like a bargain deal to get their logo on EVERY VJBL team. How many teams is that?

Maybe a better approach would have been to OFFER clubs CASH to wear their logo (like MOST sponsorship deals.)

Reply #514291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is effectively a means of blocking any chance of a second Melbourne NBL team being able to grow and draw on Representative program alignment support.

MU want victoria to remain a 1 NBL team town.

Reply #514301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If i was a club administrator id be charging the VJBL a fee on that logo appearing on my uniform.

Reply #514302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The part time association support officer position has been filled by Lyn Payet.

http://www.vjbl.com.au/index.php?id=10&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=513&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=56b7edb0c2

So no, there is no "paid employee of Melbourne United" that the funds are being used for. They are being used as they said they were going to be.

$75,000 a year for a naming rights sponsorship is a cheap deal when you consider the amount of teams and associations that MU (and by extension Dodo and other business run by Slepoy/Kestelman) now have database access to. However - was any other business offering to pay this kind of money for a naming rights sponsorship? I would think not.

I completely disagree with this move purely because as Bear suggested above, it immediately shackles a second Victorian NBL team. Melbourne United have made calculated moves to ensure that their brand is widespread and have strategically placed barriers on a second team garnering support from certain corners.

However - if the state run junior basketball league is offered $75,000 a year in sponsorship money, they would be a fool to turn it down, unless it came from something completely inappropriate like an alcohol or tobacco company. With so little sponsorship dollars in the basketball market, who are they to turn this down when there are no other offers?

Associations themselves may not see the cash benefit - but they will see benefits through the new employee who is employed to better service them, and through (hopefully, if the press release is to be believed) better development of referees and coaches. Those kind of resources take money.

The press release sounds very much like it was written by Melbourne United, not BV though. The constant need to refer to themselves as "the state's newest National Basketball League team" and the line about "We look forward to working closely with Victoria’s sole representative at the NBL level, CTI Melbourne United" smacks again of MU wanting to monopolise the Victorian market to stifle a second team.

Reply #514303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In addition to post above - the league has every right to mandate that a naming rights sponsor of the league have their logo patched onto every uniform (provided it's not at the cost of the club). The same way that the NBL or WNBL or SEABL have the right to mandate that every team wears their league naming rights sponsor.

Reply #514308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry but clubs need to protect their brand.

The league can have a naming right sponsor and advertise it in many ways including banners at venues but unless the clubs receive a financial benefit from that arrangement i'm not sure how they can force them to use the logo ahead of their own sponsorship agreements.

Reply #514312 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^ is it ahead of an Association's own sponsorship agreement? As I see it, any Association can still benefit by promoting an individual sponsor on their playing top and it would not interfere with the VJBL/MU logo on the shorts.

Example, the Supercats major sponsor 'McDonalds' is blazoned on our kid's playing uniforms and warm up tops, it is a three year deal, but when the kids get their shorts back they will have an additional logo on them. Yet this should not affect the original deal with Maccas, as I see it...

Reply #514313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless it is in direct competition to the association's naming rights sponsor, then no, it does not affect the club's own sponsorship deals. And as MU love to point out, they are the only NBL team in Victoria, so there is no direct competitor.

It is the same across all professional sports - clubs fall in line with the leading body. The LEAGUE sponsor receives priority over the CLUB sponsor for the benefit of everybody, not just clubs who are fortunate enough to have their own team naming rights sponsors.

Reply #514324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the point is that there appears to be no genuine sponsorship unless I am missing something.

Reply #514330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have though a pre requisite for naming rights logo on a uniform is a financial spin back to the clubs.

Either by way of subsidized costs or distribution of funds.

So have fees to the VJBL dropped or a distribution of funds occurring as a result of this deal?

Reply #514333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Godfreys were naming rights sponsor of SEABL for a number of years with no financial gain to the clubs. The league owns the rights, the league can decide what to do with the funds - in this case the employment of an extra staff member, that you would hope would benefit all clubs.

There is a genuine sponsorhsip - of $75,000 per year - but it goes to the league, not the clubs.

FYI there are approximately 60 associations in VJBL. Which works out to be about $1250 per association if distributed evenly. Some associations have upwards of 30 teams. So about $40 per team.

Does it not make more sense for the league to take that cash injection and use it to better resource all clubs, rather than hand out a $1200 bonus?

Reply #514339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Goodpoint, there's many ways to look at it.

The main sticking point in my mind is the basketball connection of he sponsor.

Reply #514340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell me how an admin person benefits the clubs? BA have sold club properties without consultation for no money. They are taking positions on uniforms that clubs could sell to their own sponsors.

No one wants Melbourne United on their uniform, particularly Melbourne Tigers!

So naming rights for the entire competition is worth $75,000. Are you kidding? BA have kept the lion share of the money for their own use and the clubs that are represented in the VJBL get jack.

I agree with an earlier post, it is driving people away from supporting Melbourne United because of the way this has been forced on clubs.

Reply #514341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is "a genuine sponsorship" a part time MU employee working inside the VJBL? Which party would benefit most from this do you think?

Reply #514342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey #514324, you say the league sponsor takes priority over the club sponsor for the benefit of all. Tell me, what is the benefit ? It was an I'll conceived sponsorship that BV did not think through the consequences. They are supposed to represent all Victorian basketball. How do they support the WNBL teams in Victoria ? They don't!

Reply #514346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #514341 - How many clubs have naming rights sponsors for the juniors? They are not taking away any space that can be sold - there is plenty more space for other sponsors to come on board. The fact is sponsorship in basketball is minimal. I agree $75,000 is peanuts for this deal, but what other business offered more? What other business offered anything? Also for the record BA have nothing to do with it, it's BV who have negotiated the deal.

Anon #514341 - again, the employee who has been employed in the position is not an MU employee, check the link of the announcement of her appointment.

I am not in favour of this at all, but I see $75,000 for the league as better off for junior basketball than $0 for the league.

Reply #514348 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

Previously, NBL, WNBL, SEABL, all had naming rights sponsors incorporated into their respective logos. The VJBL own the league and their logo and have every right to add a sponsor to their property. I believe the MU logo is incorporated into the VJBL logo, so it should be understated in its size. This should allow Associations to still have their own sponsors with prominent position or visibility. A naming rights sponsorship is a great pick up by the VJBL, many much bigger higher profile competitions don't have the same. The NBL doesn't!

Reply #514457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the monetary gain from the sponsorship was to be filtered down to clubs in some manner I may agree with some posters. The creation of this VJBL position is a nonsense and clubs know it. It will just mean another admin officer in BV who doesn't do too much and they have enough of those already.

Clubs are getting nothing our of this. I also resent the incorporation of the MU logo into the VJBL logo. Does the AFL logo have naming rights sponsors embedded into it's logo for instance.

The clubs are worth way more than $75,000 per year to the VJBL, they would want to be careful on taking them with them on this, as our state and federal governments are finding out atm.

Apparently this was dumped on clubs at a delegates meeting just before Xmas with no communication and no consultation. TV right deals and naming rights sponsorship usually have a revenue benefit for clubs at professional level. The same should happen at this level.

Last thing - what moron at BV negotiated this deal? A badge on every kid playing in the VJBL across every association and every stadium in Melbourne and a significant number in the Vic country region is worth way more than $75,000.00 per annum. That barely covers the cost of a bench player at NBL level.

MU and by Association Dodo could afford much more and should have been brought to the table for much more.

Reply #514499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As highlighted by a few, as member clubs of the VJBL, a section of the uniform is reserved for the league logo. Generally when a 'naming rights' sponsorship is sold, the sponsoring organisations logo is incorporated into the league logo - examples already provided; Godfrey's with SEABL, Wattle Valley with WNBL, previously Philips with NBL. Guaranteed the clubs themselves received nor financial benefit from any of these arrangements - but yet, the leagues utilise the funds as they see fit.

The difference in this instance is that MU have actually stated publicly what the funding will be used for. Now, the new role within the VJBL is not a direct appointment, planted in BV by MU but rather part of the sponsorship detailed what 'x' amount was to be used for; in this case a liaison role. Again, clubs do not benefit financially from this move directly but this role may (may not) mean a club doesn't need to employ someone themselves on a PT or casual basis, or rely so heavily on volunteers (do any clubs operate with volunteers anymore or does everyone expect something these days?)

Another allocation of their financial contribution goes into referee development - there are enough forum topics on this website crying in need for referee development, surely no one has any objections to this. Again, perhaps not direct financial benefit to the clubs, but maybe now they don't have to pay out of their own pockets to run referee course etc. Meaning the money can be used/filtered into other avenues to benefit the club - so it is as good as money.

The same goes for coaching clinics. Surely some of this money is associated with the MU Community Coaching Clinics I've heard are available to clubs and associations. Again, clubs don't have to shell out for presenters and coaches don;t pa out of their own pockets to develop themselves, which heaven forbid improves our game. Again no financial benefit other than your club now saves more money that it can direct elsewhere.

The more relevant questions are;
Is you club savvy enough to utilise the sponsorship benefits available to better itself?
Does your club then use the money it saves by embracing these benefits to benefit itself?
Most clubs are set up as not for profit entities - if they can save money by utilising MU programs, then it has more resources at its disposal - the money has to be used for something.

None of the above affects your clubs ability to sell sponsorship in other areas of your uniforms or stadiums or programs. The MU badge is simply going on the part of your uniform you never actually owned anyway - the VJBL does. And that would be in all clubs member agreements when they sign on to the VJBL.

Personally I am not a fan or follower of MU. But I do give them credit for funnelling some money back into junior levels of our sport. Something we all cry for and monotonously plead makes logical sense given the extraordinary participation rates in our state - but no one else has done to this point. If another NBL team is established in Melbourne, be it Dragons or Magic, I will more than likely support them in favour of MU, but again, credit to MU for doing something that no one so far has been prepared to do.

Similarly, the Godfreys sponsorship of SEABL didn't make me trade in my Dyson, nor did I buy a Philips TV when they sponsored the NBL. I think I have had one Wattle Valley product in my entire life and I did;t buy it just because they sponsor the WNBL. Pretty sure my club doesn't purchase uniforms through AND1 (SEABL), Blackchrome (Big V), ISC (NBL) or Peak (WNBL) either but I certainly am aware of their brands which means their sponsorship is working to an extend because I know of them - just like those annoying commercials that make no sense but you know what brand they are associated with. Surely you;re all big enough to make up your own mind who to support regardless of what logo appears on your childs uniform.

And whilst you or your club didn't personally benefit financially from this sponsorship - you are getting offered something for nothing, which means you can then go out and get something else you originally could;t afford.

Reply #514504 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I also resent the incorporation of the MU logo into the VJBL logo. Does the AFL logo have naming rights sponsors embedded into it's logo for instance.

Reply #514513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without question there are issues with this deal. Id really like to know how the clubs have responded to this.

On sponsorship...

How hard did SEABL or the NBL or the WNBL work to give Godfreys, Phillips or Wattle Valley value for money?

I didn't see any extra promotion of their products outside of logo exposure...

Maybe this is part of the reason why we only hold sponsors for a few years.

Reply #514519 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

"Last thing - what moron at BV negotiated this deal? A badge on every kid playing in the VJBL across every association and every stadium in Melbourne and a significant number in the Vic country region is worth way more than $75,000.00 per annum. That barely covers the cost of a bench player at NBL level."

Putting aside the complex linking of the salary of an NBL bench player with a sponsorship pricing, This comment suffers from what many comments here suffer from - context.

Is it worth way more than 75k? How do you equate this? Its not like a short sponsorship of Hawthorn which can be calculated against hundreds of thousands of on air views, newspaper photos, online coverage etc.

It will be seen live, by parents, in stadiums, and not a whole heap more. It will get some media based visual coverage, but very limited.

Secondly, what is the naming rights of a large, state based, junior sporting competition actually worth? Would anyone seriously assess the value of the VJBL naming rights at greater than 75k? I actually think they have overpaid.

Third, outside of TAC Cup (which is sold as the third tier of of AFL football within Australia and is the core source of the AFL draft) and the equivalent RL competition is attracting any sort of major sponsor revenues? You don't see stand alone sponsorships of this kind every often at all.

Finally, what would you have BV do? Hold out for more? Demand 150k for the VJBL? The press release above makes it pretty clear that this 75k (pa) is part of a wider BV sponsorhip of 250k pa - I think BV have done pretty well!

Again, this is a league that gets basically NO external media coverage - unlike something like the TAC cup. So as a branding exercise it is very limited - but very targeted. It is that targeting that might push the price up, but not much more.

Reply #514534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow such a big deal over $75K , that equates to $7.50 per player per year ($0.25 per game in the grading & regular seasons)and where does the revenue come from? the same bums on seats at MU games, that being its target market, the kids from the VJBL and their parents.

So what BV's has a player FEE increase in late 2013 early 2014 and this is insufficient income? Seems more like continued empire building and jobs for those from fold / board.

Reply #514537 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

huh? Can you have another go at that?

"the revenue" is money as I see it going FROM MU to VJBL. How is that coming from the kids who play VJBL and their parents?

What on earth has that to do with any player fee increase - whatever that might be (i known nothing about that)?

In turn what on earth has that to do with empire building by anyone?

You have truly and quite oddly linked some nice 'outrage" themes!

Reply #514541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brain phart?

Reply #514585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#514504 agree with a lot of your post but the VJBL do NOT own club uniforms., the clubs do. They do not own the clubs either. The BV board are voted in by the clubs I believe. Although please correct if this is not true. Will be interesting to see whether this has any longer term ramifications.

Re club sponsorship, clubs are not for profit entities so the monies they receive for uniform sponsorship are reinvested into development programs for the players. $75k to put a logo on every singlet in this competition is nothing. Regrettably for Melbourne United, there is so much angst about this that it is having the opposite effect, people are turning off MU instead of being positive.

One positive of this sponsorships it may benefit the smaller clubs who don't have directors of coaching or the resources to educate their coaches. It does nothing for the clubs like Nunawading, Eltham, Knox, Kilsyth, Bulleen, Dandenong and particularly Melbourne Tigers.

Reply #514586 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I would reckon there are three leagues in the world that DON'T have the right to commandeer space on the uniforms of the players who play in their league.

The Columbian u9 Bocce league, the Cairns Cockroach racing league and one other I cannot think of at the moment.

I would be surprised if the league does not have the right to insist its logo appears on the uniforms of the players. In fact, I would be further surprised if it did not extend to apparel.

Of course the clubs "own" the uniforms, but its a reasonable extension of the league's right to brand itself that those uniforms carry the naming rights sponsor of the league, whether or not cash is going back to the clubs (and there is no need for this to happen either).

Reply #514666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting the amount of posts supporting the BV/VJBL badging of club's juniors and the detail provided. Maybe BV & VJBL staff need to get off this forum and get stuck into their work hey?

Reply #514733 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Reply #514802 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

HO is right, this is not an original idea, I have seen this kind of arrangement at local football level, district cricket level and I am sure it has been done by Associations where they have their logo put onto uniforms of teams who play exclusively under their banner.

What I would have liked to read is an agreement from MU that they would join and accept assistance in all junior development by another Victorian based NBL team, should one appear in the next year or at least during the sponsorship deal.

Just to give us the understanding that they are not looking to be the only NBL franchise that wants to help build the future of junior basketball. A big ask, I know, just what I would have liked to have read in the press release, that's all...

Reply #514804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MU want a 1 team town, make no mistake about it.

This is as much about blocking another team as it is about helping and developing juniors.

There's a good reason why they wont relinquish the Tigers name to the Gazes..

Good on them if they can do it, but Basketball in this state will be worse for it if it stifles the chances of a second NBL team.

Reply #514809 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"There's a good reason why they wont relinquish the Tigers name to the Gazes."

That at least makes perfect sense. Whether the re-branding works remains to be seen, but they WERE the Tigers, and that history and heritage is theirs. Last thing they need is some nong trying to launch another team under their old brand.

Reply #514879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They walked away from the Tigers heritage Daz, they don't have a monopoly on Victorian NBL history.

It would be highly arrogant and ignorant for them to think they represent everyone.

Reply #514881 | Report this post

annonymous  
Years ago

I think it is clear on this forum who the NONG is !!!!

Come on Richmond Tigers.. You can be the rare and endangered White Tiger using DNA to bring them back to life.. In the ear 'NOT UNITED...'

Reply #514885 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"They walked away from the Tigers heritage Daz, they don't have a monopoly on Victorian NBL history.
It would be highly arrogant and ignorant for them to think they represent everyone."

Different argument, I'm just saying I can understand why they would hang onto the "Tigers" rights.

But it is obvious their approach is alienating a lot of people.

Personally? I think they would have been better sticking with what they had, and trying to win people over with some more passive programs.
FORCING every parent to sew MU on their kids uniform aint smart.

Probably ticked off the Melbourne United Soccer Club too.

As far as I can tell, the only good thing to come out of this, is that it now opens the way for an AFL merger between Melbourne and Richmond. LOL

Reply #514887 | Report this post

Hogwash 40  
Years ago

Real winners out of this sponsorship deal, at least in the first year, are the clothing alteration companies sewing most of these patches on. With 1,322 teams in the VJBL, each of say 9 players, that's nearly 12,000 patches to sew on - at $10 a pop, that's $120,000.

Reply #519517 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754