Dazz
Years ago

City arenas vs dedicated basketball venues

Since the old (70's) "Entertainment Centre" became unviable, Perth did not have a decent venue for anything. Concerts were either performed at the Burswood Dome (with shite acoustics) or they would cram 5 concerts into 2~3 days at somewhere like Challenge Stadium. For a long time Perth was deadsville, and we simply missed out on a lot of touring acts. Our reputation as a cultural backwater was well-deserved.

The governments first attempt to redress this was the "Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre." Variously referred to as either "The Shed," or "The Cockroach," both are overly complimentary.

Not complaining, just don't want this to be seen as a "Perth is great Ra, Ra" thread.

The Arena is butt ugly form the outside, but you get used to it. Inside, its a big compromise.
As part of the deal to keep The Hopman Cup, it has an opening roof. This means that it tends to be a big "bowl" and "upper tiers" are only on one end and a long way back.
Also, since it must function as a concert venue, it almost 3-sided with limited seating at one end.
I am fortunate to be able to afford good seats, when I look up at the "nose-bleed" seats I can only imagine the binoculars I would need to watch the game.
For any negatives, it is a nice venue and we are bloody lucky to have it.

The LOCATION is first rate. EASY access by car, train, or bus, plenty of parking, easy walk out of the CBD after work, and adjacent to Northbridge for meals, drinks, or clubbing afterwards.

There can be no doubt that this venue is a HUGE part of the Cat's current financial surplus. It's probably reasonable to argue that without the Arena, last season might have looked different.

And we have the government to thank, especially for the location.

Now, my POINT, is what would have been the alternative? There were huge limitations to what could have been accomplished further at Challenge.

Perhaps with Bendat's backing they could have built a dedicated Basketball Venue SOMEWHERE.
Probably they would have kept it to under 10k capacity, and if it were in Joondalup or Cockburn, struggled to fill it. Make no mistake, being designed as a premier concert venue, means Perth Arena is a good night out. Comfortable seats, plenty of lounges and bars.
Transplant the same game back out to a venue like Challenge and I guarantee the attendance falls.
And such a venue would never make money, in fact it would probably struggle to cover costs.
If the government hadn't stumped up the cash (and land) to build the Arena, I doubt it would be making money either. (I imagine its profitable, but ROI would be abysmal.)

I have never been to games interstate, so I don't know what your venues are like. This isn't a "we're so great" thread, its meant to be an examination of alternatives.
I think its relevant to teams like Sydney, who (just like the Cats) are being forced to move to an outlying venue, and are praying for a New "tennis" venue so they can move back to the City.

The Wildcats had the luxury of offering up more "nickel" (cheap) seats because there are so many seats in the Arena. Some people say that attendance will fall if the Cats struggle on-court, but they also would not get these numbers to a Shed in the boonies. To be blunt, I attend only a few Eagles games each season because there are limits to what Ibuprofen can do to make Subi oval liveable. Yes, I'm getting old and crabby, and I don't know how much longer I could have tolerated Challenge Stadium. Its different with AFL because I can watch every game on the tube, but you get the idea.

And what about Brisbane? Sure lets get The Bullets going again, but where will they play and how GOOD is the venue?
I know that Melbourne has some big capacity venues, but how convenient & comfortable are they?

And its not just about "bums on seats," its about how much those "bums" are willing to pay. Some people will pay a premium for good seats in a good venue.

Sure the die-hards and "true" fans will go wherever and whenever. But "pandering to softies, bandwagoners, and 'social attendees'," puts bums on seats and MONEY in the coffers.

Topic #36444 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

Location has a lot to do with the numbers they are getting at the Arena. Challenge was a horrible location. Hard to get to and the public transport situation was pretty much non existent. I purchased my memberships as soon as they made the move back to the CBD as did thousands of others.

And i like the design of the Arena :P Looks awesome and modern.

As discussed in another thread, there is hope of a new home for the Kings at or near Darling Harbour in the future. This would be big for the Kings as it would also be central.

I hope Bullets (if and when they come back) dont go to Boondal as its not very central although Im not sure on what other options they have.

Reply #514255 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

As much as I like the Adelaide Arena, it would be magnificent (albeit wishful thinking) if we had an 8,000 seat stadium in the CBD

Reply #514258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have heard that there has been some talk between Netball SA and Tennis SA about building a new 10,000 seat stadium at Memorial Drive. You would hope if anything came of it, Basketball would be involved too.

Hopefully it would also be made with the seats close to the court unlike many Arena Stadiums.

I doubt we will see anything in the next 5 years, but it would be amazing if it happened.

Reply #514261 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Useful to have both. Obviously city arenas are the way to go, but a good suburban stadium can be useful for junior competitions, etc.

Adelaide Arena is ugly but works well as a single court. It would've been even better if somehow it could've been engineered so the three courts had better seating and weren't so close. Probably a very expensive challenge though, and not something they could retrofit.

Working against a city arena in Adelaide would be the Entertainment Centre.

Reply #514266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the thing - Basketball and NBL clubs need to be involved in these discussions! If the above comment is true, then why is netball being consulted over basketball? Doesn't basketball deserve to be considered?

Also with the Sydney Kings issue - Obviously there is a new entertainment centre/theatre being built, but its apparently not suitable for basketball. Why not?

The issue over current and future venues lately is another example of basketball being neglected.

Reply #514268 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Arena is butt ugly form the outside

Get your eyes checked.

As part of the deal to keep The Hopman Cup, it has an opening roof. This means that it tends to be a big "bowl" and "upper tiers" are only on one end and a long way back.

What on earth are you talking about?

Reply #514271 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Living in Cairns, our suburban stadium is under 10 minutes from the Convention Centre in the CBD. :)

Reply #514311 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:53 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754