Hendo8888
Years ago

Is the spin move dead?

One thing I've noticed for most of this season is that every time, almost without fail, a spin move is now called a travel.
Has the interpretation of it changed so that 2 steps is a travel if it's part of a spin move? Or is it just consistently being called wrong this year?
It's one of the best moves an offensive player can do in the game, and would be a shame if it was officiated out.
Thoughts?

Topic #36446 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you see Josh Childress play at all? His whole game is the spin move

Reply #514285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress dribble left to the middle, spin to his right and get fouled. I saw that many, many times this year.

Reply #514292 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tai Wesley & Cedric Jackson have been using spin moves to great effect all season.

Reply #514294 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It is weird though, the last few weeks it was like there was a crackdown on the spin move after only the most blatant had been called for the past 2-3 seasons.

The inconsistency of refereeing this season has simply been incredible, I don't think you could get such a wide variety of calls if you actually set out to do it.

So disappointing after they found a level of consistency last season.

Reply #514296 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Beal has no problem getting away with the 4 step spin move.

Reply #514307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The spin move is not dead.
The refs are inconsistent in their interpretations as a group and as individuals and at particular courts.
Individual players are called differently. Why ?????

Come on then NBL please explain.

Where are the public reviews like last years early season ?

If we review players publicly, lets do the same for the refs.

The refs have no job without the players, but the players can play without refs !!!!

Reply #514329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some refs always call the spin move a travel....Roger Shiels called it all his career.

There's a very fine line as to when the ball actually gets picked up and the steps start. Some players do it better than others. Some refs see it differently to others.

Reply #514335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets face it, refs dont actually look at feet, they watch the body. travel calls are guesses and whether or not it looks awkward. it then depends which side of the fence you sit on - do you want a more free flowing game and are prepared to turn a blind eye or are you a stickler for rules; a traditionalist?

Reply #514345 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"There's a very fine line as to when the ball actually gets picked up and the steps start."

We need the gather step to be explicitly included in the rulebook.

Reply #514357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No different to the travel. Is the player uncontested and is there advantages gained. Most times called wrong as well but call pre travel with little advantage..

Reply #514387 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

As someone who has spent a lot of time teaching kids to catch the ball and recognise their pivot foot. It s the one that lands first unless you land on both feet at tsame time - in whcih case you can pivot on either foot) it drives me nuts to consistently see NBL players take 2 or 3 steps once they receive the ball. They then shuffle their feet around as if they need to go to the toilet!
I know some wil argue that if there is no advantage why call travel, but I think refs are allowing lazy players to get out of jail.
AND....when did the rule change to allwo a player to catch the ball, step forward or backward 2 steps then take a jumps shot. What happend to catch, pivot, shoot?

Reply #514408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with swish above.
There is nothing wrong with the spin move. It's the players who do not understand their pivot foot.

Spoke to an NBL coach a few months back who told me that one of his players travels consistently and when he gets called on it he says the call is @bullshit'.
The coaches response to the player . . . "it's bullshit that a grown man doesn't know his pivot foot"
Generally now you see (using the example of a player spinning back from right to left):

The player plants his left foot to commence the spin
The player then takes a small hop on that same foot (travel) (1st step)
He then picks up the ball while that left foot is on the ground
He then drop steps onto his right foot (2nd step)
He then completes the spin by bringing his left foot around to square up to the basket (3rd step) (travel again)
He then often wants to step through to the other side of the ring (4th step)

Those that plant their foot and spin rarely get called.

As for allowing the NBA gather step. Why. Cant our players learn their pivot foot?
Ensure coaches teach players the rules & then play to them.

Not real difficult.

Reply #514533 | Report this post

annonymous  
Years ago

I think it all looks a little awkward when the player is a lefty ! I love the spin move and if we are to get all heated up about it then we need to have the travels called.. If not then leave the move alone. I couldn't shoot after a rapid turn without ending up on the floor dizzy as hell

Reply #514545 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Brad Hill has recently used the spin without getting called.

BTW,

The refs have no job without the players, but the players can play without refs !!!!
Good luck with that!

Reply #514704 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The gather step is to allow for the variation in when a player picks up the ball in a dynamic situation. It's not about allowing another full step (although NBA refs will let a full three steps go in a fast break situation). Most NBL refs already allow the gather step, it would just be better if it were in the rules.

Reply #514759 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Looks good yeah but sympathy for the defends. Set to cover & block any offensive move even sometimes to 3 steps but often find themselves leaning or stretching when that 3rd or 4th step is taken & then getting called for the foul.

Reply #514781 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754