Isaac
Years ago

DMac: "some guys don't want to be here"

McDonald said he is of the opinion some players have already checked out this season.

"I personally believe some guys don't want to be here, I think they’re ready to go," he said. “But I’ve still got a job to do trying to make the finals, so guys still got to play."

"We have five guys injured that can’t even train, so it has been tough. I hate making excuses but sometimes you have to play through injury.”
United co-captain Mark Worthington said the past fortnight has been a tough pill to swallow,

“We’ve got to deal with any issues if they’re there,” Worthington said.

“I think a lot of people see it on the sidelines as well that we just haven’t jelled as a group this year on the court.

“We’ve got to try and rectify that in the last four games.”
Full story

Topic #36453 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a shame that the players are acting like this as DMac is a great coach and person. They are basically costing DMac his job, as he will never be hired in 2015/16 if they won't play for him....

Reply #514555 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id say McRae and Dennis won't be back next season then....

Reply #514556 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Well he may be a great person, but what has he really accomplished as a coach to say he is great...

Reply #514559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was a great player but he is not a great coach both imports don't respect him as a coach and he should bench both players they have caused all the disharmony with all their selfish play making .

Reply #514566 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

McRae seems like the obvious one but who else?

Dennis came back to the club after major injury, rest of the Tigers guys you would think wouldn't have stuck around if they didn't like the team.

Kickert maybe annoyed at playing out of position?

Barlow looks disinterested especially when his shot isn't dropping but I think that's just his standard demeanour?

Reply #514568 | Report this post

annonymous  
Years ago

LOL at wortho making those statements about others

Reply #514570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dmac should put on the boots, they really need his passing ability.

Reply #514587 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Ennis went through this around about the same time last year.

Reply #514588 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

DMac, in the event you pass by this forum and read this thread may I suggest you consider the following as your Sydney pre-game address:

"Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy s..t we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very p..d off.

All the best, Big Ads

Reply #514592 | Report this post

Oswald Cobblepot  
Years ago

Not sure where you have been anonymous. Wortho certainly has stood up and can speak on the subject. It's a shame that in recent times many players have checked out and with injuries limiting what Dmac can do compounding his inability to coach well at that level.
It's a shame that the clubs bullshit ' we are scoring the world' for this season is indeed bullshit.

Reply #514600 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's an interesting conundrum.
I don't fault MU for giving DMac a go. It's been his ambition, and he was seen as being ready. Giving him almost a full season to see what he could achieve was a reasonable risk, and if the wheels hadn't fallen off we wouldn't be having this conversation. Obviously he has failed.
But that raises the question; two coaches have failed to "get their message across." Do you blame the coaches, the players, or management?

Reply #514606 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Its really united own doing this mess.

They didn't go and get a coach like they said & then left the "interim" tag out there which doesn't strengthen D-Macs position with the players as they know he is getting replaced.

so if players did doubt D-Mac's ability they basically have management justification for doing so as management won't replace him or back him so he is a lame duck.

A number of players talk a lot of behind the scenes with each other and to the owners/management about coaches and other players...it has become a real political hot bed of gossip around the club rather than just playing ball.

Reply #514609 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Its a pity that Wortho learned nothing from his days at the Kings about team harmony. Since then, its either been "play for a team that buys a title" or a "ruin a team with a lack of professionalism."

Reply #514610 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Interesting topic and some obvious passion for MU, both positive and negative.

As always we all have an opinion, some informed and some otherwise.

My opinion would be that DMac has done enough to earn another season in the role.

Apart from recycling past NBL coaches there isn't really anyone that is better suited to the role. He has been involved in the league for a long time and has built some solid experience.

Sometimes getting the promotion from asst coach to head coach is a hard process. As mentioned, there may be some players who aren't showing the respect etc...

I think MU should look at their recruiting from this past season and make the necessary adjustments moving forward.

I would suggest that bringing in older guys with a sense of entitlement may not be the way to go. Especially when there already appeared to be a bit of a culture issue at Melbourne.

They need to bring in some guys who are willing to sacrifice for the team first and not look at ageing guys with a resume...

Reply #514616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Culture starts at the top!

Reply #514617 | Report this post

bender  
Years ago

I know it's only a very small window into the now absurdly named "united" team but watching Dmac in timeouts are cringe worthy most of the time. If his practices and game planning are any reflection then it doesn't appear he's a nbl head coach. As an assistant coach he would be ideal, mentoring and hands on teaching with his playing days as a reference. Just look at Bill Russell, arguably the greatest winner in team sport but was terrible as a head coach. The only way he could've won was if he was coaching himself, it seems similarly the same for Dmac.
Melbourne spent a lot of money on players but when Anstey quit the should have moved onto someone with experience whether it be nbl, seabl, etc. It was like giving the keys to the Mercedes to an L plater.
The only thing I think Dmac can do now is bench the guys he sees as not wanting to be there and run with the youngsters. Who cares if they get blown out, at least he can send a message.
And go back to being the Tigers, United is a joke in name as well as on the court.

Reply #514623 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

There are guys that make good oncourt leaders, and decent assistants, but just can't handle the top job. (Mike Ellis springs to mind.)
Maybe DMac is in that category? Thing is, a few weeks back I would have been saying he'd done enough to earn the job fulltime, but unfortunately this implosion damages his chances.
On the face of it, there seems to be a good case to be made for pinning this on the playing group, but can the coach escape the splashback?

Reply #514640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately IMO D-Mac proved he wasn't a good head coach when he filled in after Westover was sacked last time and nothing I've seen this time around appears to have changed.

He still looks and sounds like he's out of depth.

Reply #514641 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

So much irony in a team called United being so divided.

Reply #514642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bender for your information Anstey was SACKED dont believe everything you read they want you to think he went on his own

Reply #514645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much fail in the strongest Basketball state in Australia having the most dysfunctional NBL team (s)

Reply #514646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey certainly was sacked. Here is a part of the original article before MU got the chance to spin it about Anstey happily resigning etc.

Melbourne United has removed Chris Anstey as coach of the club after their 89-61 loss to Cairns Taipans on Sunday.

United was just one game into the season and played without star import guard Stephen Dennis, who was recovering from a minor knee injury.

It is not clear whether Anstey has left the position or been fired with the club meeting with its players this afternoon and issuing a statement later today.

But the scope of the loss and frustrations with Anstey by senior people in the club led to the team making a surprise change on Monday.

Reply #514658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"it's not clear whether Anstey has.... been fired.."

Certainly!

Reply #514664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dmac has shown the 3 things a coach can't let happen if they want to retain the head coaching position.

1) Allow key players(imports) play selfish basketball

2) Let the fans, owners and sponsors know he has lost control of the team by publicly admitting it.

3) Lose Respect from the players as a coach.

He has allowed all 3 to occur and it will result in him getting the sack at the end of the season.

Reply #514671 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"2) Let the fans, owners and sponsors know he has lost control of the team by publicly admitting it. "

Once again if they did nothing then the team continues the way it is going and he loses his job anyway. This is a last effort by McDonald and they players to change their ways. If they do change they could get the last playoff spot and DMac might retain his job.

Reply #514700 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Makes me wonder if Chris Anstey could see this coming.

Reply #514706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd love to see Westover back in the league. On Wortho, I think he's had a good season so not really sure why there's so much criticism of him. The team balance hasn't been right from the start - lacking in the centre spot and lots of similar players.

Reply #514707 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i think Melb would have been better keeping Morrison as an import instead of one of Barlow or Kickert, both are stretch 4s and on likely expensive too.

Using a import spot on Morrison means McRae probably doesnt get picked up, but a Dennis, Tomlinson, Corletto back court could have been solid and had less chemistry issues.

I feel sorry for Dmac, but this is part of coaching i guess, and yea id say Anstey saw it coming big time, hence why he got out.

Reply #514708 | Report this post

Green 76  
Years ago

They should've got a Centre instead of Barlow. Still wonder why Anstey left? I wonder who put the roster together too?

Reply #514720 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"On Wortho, I think he's had a good season so not really sure why there's so much criticism of him. "

He's played well but his attitude stinks.

Reply #514725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DMac seems like a angry parent with his kids not living up to his high expectations.

He doesn't seem process driven, more results driven. I.e. an open 3 is a good shot if it goes in, bad shot if it misses.

With his constant frustrations he seems unable to get a clear message across in timeouts.

His press conferences involve laying too much blame on his playing group and he has talked too much about not having a contract for next year.

I can see why his players have checked out to a degree.

Reply #514736 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I don't think the disharmony in the playing group is a result of the coaching. They have got too many egos in the squad, and while a top coach will get those egos to work together, the players have got a wealth of experience and they should be able to sort it out themselves.

The co-captains are not leaders.

Reply #514741 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's just this group of guys. Lots of attitude problems / lazy players / no leaders. I called it before the season that they would fail due to chemistry issues.

Reply #514758 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Can't believe this crap. I have seen DMac coach in the flesh at various levels for years, including NBL. Trust me, it is NOT the coach.

Look at it this way..

* 30% of squad injured (bad luck)
* Lack of club support (bad management)
* Inherited a poorly composed roster (bad club)

Look at the assist numbers and the bench production from both Hawks games, in addition to FG% across both. Honestly, there are better PG playing SEABL

An average 10 assists and 41% FG% against the Hawks in 2 games, and then tell me he hasn't inherited a sub-par squad.

How was he going to succeed ?

So please think before you make unwarranted comments about someone's ability, especially if that person's ability exceeds your own.

Unless you think you can do better, in which case send your resume to Melb Utd Basketball Club Inc. Att: Vince, Level 13 10 Queens Road Melbourne 3004

Reply #514926 | Report this post

Gelder  
Years ago

Learning year for DMac. Top Dog is different to 2nd Top Dog. Each step up the coaching ladder you should be learning, well, should never stop learning because once you do stop learning you are finished as a coach or even player!
Melb. Utd need to give him their full support for the next season and stay Utd. It has to start at the very top.
The question is, and i know it's their money and so on, but do they have the balls?

Reply #515168 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

United are about as divided as a team can be.
Seen a couple of training sessions and they are a professional disgrace. They lack leadership in every way. Co Captains need to agree on how they will handle the group, especially off the court. It can really work. Blaze and Kings had no problems. Think Perth also had success.

Reply #515871 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"Blaze....had no problems."

Not so sure about that.

Reply #515875 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"tell me he hasn't inherited a sub-par squad"

He hasn't inherited a sub-par squad, in fact he has a very talented squad. It's not talent that's the issue, it's the fact when things get hard they don't work as a team.

Reply #515883 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754