MELHOOPS
Years ago

Pay Day for Coaches

I was reading the Dominique Wilkens Thread (the part about Junior Coaches being paid $300 a month) and thought I'd start one about coaches getting paid here in Aus.

I have been coaching juniors at Rep level for about six years now and have not received a red cent for my contribution and nor have I ever expected any sort of payment. The popular thought is always to do it for the kids or for the game of Basketball when talking about juniors.

At what stage should a junior coach expect payment for his/her services or should they treat coaching juniors as "servicing their apprenticeship" and wait until they are good enough to coach seniors?

How much does/should each level of coach earn?

Topic #3646 | Report this topic

what the  
Years ago

does one seek financial or other reimbursements?

Reply #42474 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Lets just say I'm what one would call a career coach and I'd like to know if, when & how much one would seek financial or other reimbursements.

Reply #42475 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

MELHOOPS - clearly, you are not a true baller.

Reply #42483 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

depends on your position within the structure of the club.

hours put in
qualifications
RESULTS - not just win / loss - but recruiting, development, promotion of game / club
financial situation of club

could be anything from $20 to $20,000

Reply #42490 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

ITA - clearly you don't need facts to start shooting your mouth off. And FYI I don't claim to be a "true baller" I'm a committed student of the game. And not the game you probably spend half your life watching on ESPN. I'm talking the game which requires knowledge and repetition of the fundamentals that created, and have help the game of basketball evolve to what it is today. I spend endless hours trying to improve myself as a coach and that of the players within my circles without ever asking for any financial renumeration so please don't make statements that make me look like a money hungry overnighter. I plan to keep coaching for a very long time and some day I hope to be one of the lucky people that get paid for what I do.

So to you ITA and the next person that reads this thread and decides to make me out to be chasing money and not coaching for the love of the game, don't bother.

However, if you've got something that may help us all work out when and how much then please leave your comments

Reply #42492 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Junior coaches at Woodville (Div2 and below), receive $70 a year for their trouble. It is not much but it is something.

Reply #42508 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I guess it all depends on where you coach. I coach here in school at a Canberra college (2 nights a week and games) and I get paid $15 per training and $25 per game ($55 a week). I'm coaching Under 16 girls, and do bit of work with the Year 12 boys. There are coaches at different schools and clubs that earn more, some earn less. Maybe a club couldn't afford these types of rates whilst a private school with huge attendance fees can.

I guess the club/school pay's as much as it can afford. Did I seek financial compensation, no I didn't. One of ths school admins walked up at the end of the school term and told me here's my pay. I told them I wasn't interested, but they said it was the norm. About two weeks later, parents and players had a free dinner on the coach.

MELHOOPS, forget some posters, the majority on this forum know where your coming from and what you are doing for junior sport in that funny place you call Melbourne.

Reply #42511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aparently all of the south div 1 coaches are getting paid next season. you have got to wonder where the money is comming from...?

Reply #42516 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I get paid by the hour to do school coaching, and I used to get a lump sum at the end of the season for district that basically covered costs (petrol). That was around $300

Some schools pay really well, like Immanuel, Cabra, Mercedes, Scotch.

Reply #42517 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Does anyone know what sort of money an ABL coach or even an NBL coach would get? Ball Park figures or examples would help.

Reply #42521 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Or Junior State Teams for that matter?

Reply #42522 | Report this post

AsIseeIt  
Years ago

Payments for coaching have been low or non-existent for years at some clubs. I see that West are running an "in-house" Level 1 course for their present and future(?) coaches as an incentive. I heard that special polo shirts could be given to coaches also. At least they are making an effort.

Reply #42527 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

If you want money then try wearing sponsorship on your coaching top. eg. Crazy Johns, Aussie home loans (At Aussie, we'll save you)

It worked for me. It could be cheap advertising for $20 a game. At least that would cover petrol money.

Reply #42535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All div 1 coaches at south will not be getting paid next season as is speculated by one anon.They at present recieve a gift voucher and a polo shirt if they put in a 12 mth stay.
We have discussed at committee level on different ways to approach the shortage of coaches and ways to over come this, and are constantly looking at new approaches.

Reply #42536 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Junior state coaches get paid approximately twice as much as most club coaches.

Reply #42540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

overpaid then!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #42542 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Paul,

You say twice as much as club coaches, but it's obvious that club coaches pay varies and in most cases is $0.

And I do believe twice as much as $0 is... well $0.

In your view, how much does a club coach get paid.

Reply #42550 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

$0!

Reply #42551 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

To add a new vein to the thread, how much does a director of coaching get paid? I know it varies, examples would be good.

Reply #42552 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Paul,

I thought that might be what you were getting at, thanks.

Reply #42553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If its boys and girls of a larger club in sa and you are the only one at the club a purely part time (weekends and nights) coaching director gets at least $15K.

Reply #42555 | Report this post

Senor Spielbergo  
Years ago

Melhoops,

Don't worry about the "school holiday" set - the people who know who you are saw first hand at Eltham/Easter/Classics your passion for your team and the game.

As for your queries, my take is this:
- most junior club coaches get $0. The only club I've heard of that this is not true is Woodville (which is "petrol money"), although this is nothing more than rumour.
Some clubs will forlay/discount fees for players who also coach though.
- coaches at the private schools (which has it's own competition) do get paid (at least a few of them that I know about). A lot of these coaches are uni students (club players) or club coaches.
- state coaches Paul talks about.
- SASI/ITC??
- seniors?

Reply #42556 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Mel - i dont think coaches should ever expect payment/reimbursment for coaching juniors. Coaching should be done for love of the game, not a dollar.

Having said that, i coach one of Adelaide's Private Schools already mentioned and do get paid (more than my day day job evidently), but as with TR, when i accepted the position, didn't know it paid.

I'd be interested to know how much our Victorian Counterparts get paid. JDO in Melbourne's larger clubs etc, coaches at Knox, Geelong Grammer etc.

Reply #42597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches at Geelong Grammer and Geelong College get about $20 per hour and do 3-6 hours per week for two terms of the year.

Not much money going around in country victoria but bigger clubs in melbourne have been known to pay a few grand for a top junior coach per season!!

People do not coach basketball for money. They do it for the love of the game. If there is any money offered it would never come close to the time & money that the coach puts into his/her team.

Clubs that do find some money for their coaches will ensure that they have their coaches longer but the effort they put in will be full on, regardless. Well done to those clubs who try to offset some of the costs.

Many of these coaches sacrifice money, time & family to do the job and many are very highly qualified. People with qualifications like some of our coaches in other sports and trades get paid very well indeed, eg. football coaches of TAC teams are full time, have about 20 staff etc...

Imagine that

Reply #42601 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Some good responses here guys, thanks. I guess the thing that has triggered my thinking on this subject is, we are approaching the end of our season here in Melbourne and the advertising for next years coaching positions has begun. I'm from a medium sized club and have noticed that one of the smaller clubs (not unsuccessfull) has included the line "renumeration to be discussed with the successful applicants" in their ad. I hear other similar sized clubs in Melbourne are offering money to attract the better coaches. Not in my wildest dreams would I consider leaving my current club as they have given me my current role which I love and feel I owe them dearly.

Now, I think many of the bigger Melbourne clubs would be offering atleast something to offset the petrol, travelling (tournaments) and equipment expenses that their coaches incure, but I would like to know how much. There are some big name coaches (Slusher, Short, Calic, Exum, etc.) at some of these clubs and also experienced coaches with strong ties to commitee's and other circumstances which put coaches in a position where renumeration or expense money is offered. I'd like to have an insight on the money available to a great club coach and to tell you the true I've got absolutely no idea at present about this issue.

It's been great to see a good response so far, but I haven't yet got the info. I'm after.

Let me throw some bait......

- Surely one of the highly revered Sturt coaches is receiving some sort of payment.

- Has anyone ever had their interstate travel paid for, I know some of the SA coaches travel to Melbourne twice in one year, that's got to hurt the ol' hip pocket.

- Any ABL coaches post here? could you leave something for me to stew over?

And for those of you that can't be bothered reading the whole thread, I do coach for the "love of the game" and I have never been paid or ask to be paid for coaching.

Reply #42652 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

Mel -

Meschke is employed full-time at Sturt as their JDO.

Arnott is employed part-time at Forestville as JDO. They also employ a Junior Communities Officer (or something similiar), which is a paid position to run Aussie Hoops and other grass level programs.

Woodville pay petrol money.

ABL coaches (not all, but the 3-4 i know) are not paid. (Might be 'renumerated' not sure.)

Reply #42659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once upon a time in the old days at Sturt, the parents of the players used to all chip in and pay for the coach to travel to Melbourne, but I have noticed this has disappeared. As a parent now I would not have any problems doing this in todays climate.

Reply #42660 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Last time I travelled to Melbourne the parents all chipped in an extra $10 and paid for my accomodation (I still covered the bus fare and other expenses). My club also waives playing expenses (subscriptions) for Senior and Junior players who also coach a team. Quite a few of my teammates have done this/do this to help the financials and enjoy putting back into the club.

Back in the day we also used to pay for the coach to travel to Melbourne.

Regarding equipment, AFAIK junior coaches including division 1 coaches at my club get given basketballs and the manager receives a first aid kit. Extra resources (ie step ladders) either come from the JDO, their own pocket, or own sources (ie SASI connection).

AFAIK Melhoops, regarding JDO type positions, going on an advertisement that my club sent around about three years ago asking for applications, the renumeration was reasonable, soem of the guestimates quoted above are around the mark.

Personally, I think junior coaches shouldn't be paid - most do it for the love of the game -whereas a JDO and an ABL Coach should - although they obviously love the game, there is more to it - based on the amount of time, prestige, and critical role they play in their club's on-court (and potentially off-court) success.

Reply #42661 | Report this post

Senor Spielbergo  
Years ago

Mel,

The Sturt junior coaches are not paid (Mesecke employed as mentioned above by the "Pistol").

The ABL coaches that I know about are paid. Not sure of exact numbers, but it is not a lot.

Reply #42674 | Report this post

Zygot  
Years ago

Large Mel Club, final amount depends on tenure

Juniors
DOC - 7,500 - 15,000
Age Gp Head Coach - 1000
Coach - 500

All also receive, Coaches Polos, bag, balls, board. Extra 150 if they attend a interstate or country tournament requiring overnight stay

ABA coach
Men - 10,000 - 15,000
Women 3500 - 7000

Reply #42724 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Thanks Zygot, that's exactly what I'm after. This is probably one of the underlying factors that keep good coaches at big clubs in Melbourne.

Obviously $500-1000 plus goodies may not keep you at a club you don't like but it would make you feel appreciated.

Reply #42728 | Report this post

coaches  
Years ago

Reply #133507 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

In SA, one club didnt pay their coach even when they said they would!

Gotta go now. wonder how long this comment will be up for?
(tick tick tick...)

Reply #133513 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:39 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754