Mystro
Years ago

Breakers vs 36ers, Feb 12

Adelaide head across the Tasman to take on the second place Breakers at Vector Arena where NZ have only lost once this season. Adelaide are currently the form team heading into the finals whilst NZ have slipped up in recent weeks.

Both teams match up well across the court with plenty of talent on each bench and aren't scared to push the ball so it should be an exciting game.

I'll give this one narrowly to NZ at home, they need to bounce back after the Townsville loss.

Topic #36460 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

What a cracker of a game we have tonight to kick off round 19! The Breakers will be keen to retake top spot and the Sixers have won 7 on the trot to storm into the Top 4 like US Forces storming into an oil rich nation. The Sixers are due to drop one soon and if it is this game I won't shed a tear because I’ld rather this game dropped than one in the finals series.

Melbourne (dis)United will be watching this game closely too. A win to the Breakers will make for a very interesting Sunshine Swing this round, a win to the Sixers and they might as well take the 20-0 forfeits and save the airfares.

The Sixers have won over in the land of the long white sheep before and like Mystro says, the Breaker Boys need to bounce back after getting slapped around by the Crocs. The Breakers are playing well as a team and the guy who has got both hands on the most improved trophy this season is Corey Webster. He has quietly gone about his work and no doubt his mum has already cleared a spot on the mantle piece for it.

There are a few mismatches when these teams play and the coaches need to recognise and take advantage of those mismatches when they present themselves.

I'm not fussed if the Breakers win, just so long as there's not a dinosaur on court at half time. It would be un-patriotic for me to tip the Breakers, so I'm going to say "Let's make 8 great" Sixers

Reply #514690 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Hang on, something's not right here.....

Jack, you didn't start this thread. Its just not cricket.

Reply #514691 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Would be nice if Sixers could do Taipans a favour and get the win but I don't think they'll be good enough in NZ. Prove me wrong!

Reply #514701 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

HoldenV8, just giving the home town boys an opportunity

Reply #514722 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"HoldenV8, just giving the home town boys an opportunity"

Should read: I was still in bed working on a crossword

Reply #514724 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Didn't start thread and didn't "pre-blame" the refs. What a crazy world we live in.

Reply #514726 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Home court advantage through to the end is handy, so I think NZ will be working hard to get this. Plus Adelaide is due to miss a beat. I've bet on NZ straight and on the -3.5 line, but wouldn't be unhappy to lose and see Adelaide get a very tough game.

A loss for Adelaide might keep them realistic and be a good reminder of the work required heading to the final stages. A win could breed complacency, but also terrify the other three teams.

What a rollercoaster for Adelaide. They got Motum and many would've thought "here we go!" Then there was a significant slump. Now they're firing, and added yet another piece.

As they say around the traps, dis gon be gud.

Reply #514737 | Report this post

Years ago

would rather drop this one to NZ and win the one that counts, have this superstition or belief that you can't often go unbeaten and win the lot. rather see the run end now then sweep the rest without lost so NZ in dble OT by 1.

Reply #514739 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Stiff competition over the next few weeks to get interest in the NBL:

Cricket World Cup starts Saturday.

Super Ruby starts tomorrow.

Reply #514754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Uwe your a neagtive bugger arent you.

36ers by 10 plus, this team is legit, NZ have looked sluggish of late.

Reply #514755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No team that has a 7 game losing streak including a blowout loss to United at home ever has the right to be complacent. I dont see the 36ers losinmg a game for the rest of this season and playoffs. IF thing sget cruisy, maybe they rest starters against hawsk but thats it. Too stacked, too quick too confident.

Reply #514757 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Expect the Breakers to win this one at home. Breakers by 5

Reply #514762 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Huge game. Looking to Jackson to bounce back with a big one. Breakers by 3. As a cats fan I hope they flog the hell out of each other :P

Reply #514763 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Think the 6ers will win this one with a bit of ease. NZ looked really bad against the Crocs and few weeks back against the Kings too. Seem really slow or flat to me. Where as the 6ers are busting the ball up court quick smart off any outlet and with DJ waking up last round, I dont see why this wouldnt be much the same uptempo stuff from the 6ers. Team got in few days ago, nice a rested and by all acounts are very focussed on what is ahead of them. 6ers by 12+ will run NZ off their feet.

Reply #514764 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Hopefully Wilson gets the defensive job against Jackson from the start. Last game Jackson destroyed Gibson before Wilson slowed him down. If Jackson has an average game it will give the Sixers a good chance to win this game.

Reply #514765 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Sixers best chance (like any team playing NZ) is to get Vukona and Ibekwe in foul trouble, which isn't too difficult to do.

Reply #514769 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Kobe24 ure got to cut down on the good stuff, you win in a row and u think ure team are world beaters

Reply #514770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow! Where has all the confidence gone Sixers?
"We are the form team, we are going to sweep the finals"
Now you're making excuses?
"Don't mind if we lose this one"
So wins against Wollongong make you "championship favourites," but games against NZ "don't count"?
What are you worried about? If NZ do win it will be the refs fault.

Reply #514773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aside from the win in Perth we've been beating up on some average teams but NZ in NZ is the toughest challenge there is.

I think we might be brought back to earth a bit in a 10-12 point loss.

Reply #514774 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Tough game, but NZ have lost a couple unexpectedly.
Perhaps it means "more" to NZ, they are fighting for 1st spot, whereas I think Cats and 6's are set.
However, given the real possibility of meeting in the semis, both teams would like the psychological advantage of winning this one.

Reply #514776 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Again, im nice and confident Adelaide will win. No drugs required to form that opinion.

Reply #514777 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I'll be interested to see how Wilson goes against Jackson as well. He definitely did a good job getting into his head last time around. I think that match-up is as important as any, given both teams match-up so well in the frontcourt.
Adelaide is the form team of the competition at the moment, no doubt, but the Breakers at home coming off a loss is a tough one to call. They seem to bounce back well from losses.

Reply #514778 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

nothing wrong with backing your team but history dictates that they have their work cut out for them to win at Vector especially with the Breakers coming off a loss.

Tom Abercrombie has been called out by his Coaches for being too passive offensively and his team mates kicked up the ass for not putting it in his hands, expect him to be aggressive off the bat instead of his often let the game come to him approach.

Reply #514782 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

pretty sure 36ers won last time the teams played in Vector

Reply #514792 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

And how many times had they won there before?
you talk like it was a regular occurrence...

Reply #514793 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz is correct. The last time Adelaide played at Vector we won.....Ervin's steal of an inbound pass and drive to the hoop gave us a 95-94 win in Round 6 last season (15 November 2013) in front of 7,470.

The Breakers have been a little off the boil as of late. This should be a good game and I'm predicting a 36ers win by 5.

Reply #514797 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

History is out the window with this one. 6ers are as talented as they have been for years and years.

Reply #514801 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Breakers have got just as much talent

Reply #514807 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Slow start by the 36ers, down 8-0 after only 1:26. We took the lead 28-26 with 1:11 left in the first on a Motum 3, then Gibbo followed up with another 25 seconds later.

Adelaide scored the last 9 points of the period to lead 31-26 at the first break.

Reply #514808 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Sixers looking good after 1Q. Breakers have to hang tough. CJ driving into contact too much and not getting calls or coming up with the play.Turnovers hurting Breakers. Sixers have shot well and hope they dry up.

Reply #514810 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Big scoring 1st quarter?

Reply #514811 | Report this post

ronny  
Years ago

breakers got smoked by the crocs last week and are getting smoked again on their floor this week. The wheels might be coming off reall quick.

lol CJ breakers complaining about the 6ers free throws off flops, says the guy who was the master of milking fouling and flopping his way to the line.

Reply #514814 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

Half time score;

Adelaide 54 to 47

Reply #514815 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Has anyone ever noticed on FIBA live stats, they always have "VUKONA" in caps and the rest of the players are all in lower case.

Reply #514816 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

This game has a finals like feel.

Reply #514817 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

And a low scoring second.

Scrappy period though, from both teams, though the refs are up to their "usual standard". They seem whistle happy tonight.

Adelaide lead 54-47 at the half.

DJ has 11 points and 6 rebounds. Wilson has 13 points, 1 assist and 1 rebound and Gibbo has 7 points, 3 assists and 5 rebounds.

For the breakers, Corey Webster has 16 points and 2 rebounds. Abercrombie has 10 points and 3 rebounds while Pledger has 6 points.

NZ lead the rebounds 23-17, assists 12-9 and blocks 4-1. The 36ers have shot 21/38 (55.3%), the Breakers 18/42 (42.9%). From outside NZ are 6/14 (42.9%), Adelaide are 2/8 (25%). Adelaide have hit 10/13 (76.9%) from the line, NZ 5/8 (62.5%). Turnovers are hurting NZ, its currently 9-5.

CJ Bruton doing commentary......he's not bad actually.

Reply #514818 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Great game, Wilson alternating brilliance with sheer idiocy to balance his efffective result.

Cmon sixers!

Reply #514819 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Wow Wilson is doing a number on CJ , Carter and Webster. CJ having a mare. and can't get anything going.Ominous signs.

Reply #514820 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Looking good, great scoring spread for the 6ers, love DJ having 11 and 6 off the bench. If they can fire up to start the 3rd like they did in Syd will be very hard for NZ to do much. Must feel great to be down early and have the confidence to know your not going to rattled.

Reply #514821 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Cj finally got a open layup. The momentum is slowly turning. Need to keep up with the D.

Reply #514822 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

3rd quarter time

Adelaide leads 73 to 62

Reply #514823 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

scores level with 1.56 left

Reply #514825 | Report this post

ronny  
Years ago

c-h-o-k-e job

Reply #514826 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

What a game!

Reply #514827 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

WOW !!!

Reply #514828 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Action Jackson has a triple double. 11pts, 11 Assists, 11 Boards......nice work

Reply #514830 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Say what you will about Wilson, he's a good guy to have the ball when the game is on the line

Reply #514831 | Report this post

Raider fan  
Years ago

Don't get why Wilson gets so much hate on this forum, he's arguably the MVP of the team since the team has gone on it's winning ways. Hope they can close it out.

Reply #514832 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

Adelaide win 93 to 88

Reply #514833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF!! No breakers wanted to come and get the ball on the last two inbound plays.

Reply #514834 | Report this post

Green 76  
Years ago

Wilson is awesome especially in a fast paced system.

Reply #514835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers get beaten by Townsville and Adelaide at home and basically give up minor premiership... way to go

Reply #514836 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You were saying ronny?

Reply #514837 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Breakers had that won, and fluffed it.
Adelaide steadier when the game was on the line.

Keeps everyone guessing as to the exact play-offs in the final 4, and shows that NZ are vulnerable.

With the dominance NZ were showing earlier in the season, I was worried that the finals would become predictable. But their recent form (and Adelaide's late run) makes it very interesting.

Reply #514838 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

NZ came back strong in the last, even taking the lead at one point. But.....

ADELAIDE WIN 93-88!!!!!!

If Melbourne lose one more game, the top 4 will be set. Taipans tomorrow night in Cairns, Crocs on Saturday in Townsville.

I can't see them winning either TBH (one at best) so I think that the top 4 is set, just need to work out who finishes where.

Reply #514839 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

Melbourne now have to win their last 4 games and hope Adelaide drop a game to Perth( H) or Wollongong (A)

Reply #514840 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Adelaide will choke come finals time

Reply #514841 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Adelaide will choke come finals time"

I don't know what happened to allow NZ back into that game (and the lead) But if anybody choked in the dying minutes it was The Breakers

Reply #514842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns pretty much locked in for minor premiership? Wonder how much they were paying for that pre season?

Reply #514843 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anon, based on what? 36ers are the team to beat. Im not surprised they won but very happy. Ive seen enough 36er teams to know the great ones from the good. Great teams close out games on the road like that. Theres your title favourite right there.

Reply #514844 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

36ers looked very confident for much of the game and seemed very unified, like they've all bought into the team plan. Wilson with 28 points at 52% - very impressive. Great support from Motum and impact game from Johnson.

Melbourne have got to be watching that and thinking "We're screwed."

Haven't seen an Adelaide team looking that coordinated and purposeful in a long time.

Interesting to note that Joey locked it down to an eight-man rotation. Usually teams do that in the play-offs, I would've thought?

Reply #514845 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

If anyone is going to choke come finals time, it's Cairns.

Reply #514846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless a minor miracle happens Cairns locked in at 1 and NZ at 2. #3 still tight between Perth and Adelaide. Melbourne forget about it.

Reply #514847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide 8 wins in a row, Cairns NZ Perth all look crap in the past month... let's go sixers!

Reply #514848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide in great form and im expecting Perth to hit their straps also... NZ are blowing it and I reakon one of Adelaide or Perth will knock off Cairns in finals

Reply #514849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Has anyone ever noticed on FIBA live stats, they always have "VUKONA" in caps and the rest of the players are all in lower case."

Surname in caps is FIBA code for a player who during the game will foul out or come very close to it.

Reply #514851 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Wilson brilliant in the end. He and Gibbo worked really well together tonight and great input from Motum and Johnson when it mattered. Glad Joey didnt use the whole bench, that would have cost us the game maybe. Well coached Joey. Gibbo 10 rebounds and DJ 8. We just won that count in the end. This team is amazing together.

Great all round never stop game. WOW!

Go Sixers!

Reply #514852 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Hey ronny were you playing with yourself when you had your little c-h-o-k-e????

Reply #514853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get that many Sixers fans can be delusional, but surely you can see that they cannot possibly win the MINOR premiership?

Reply #514854 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

field Goal percentages
Adelaide 35/69 51%
Breakers 34/83 41%

3 point percentage
Adelaide 3/13 23%
Breakers 10/23 43%

Rebounds
Adelaide 36
Breakers 37

Turnovers
Adelaide 13
Breakers 13

Reply #514855 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I'm trying to find a reference to anyone claiming Adelaide would finish minor premiers anon. Can't find it anywhere.

Reply #514857 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Adelaide were clearly good, so I don't think we can write this off to simply NZ being "crap."
Upcoming game in Perth will be a good measure, of how well they bounce back, and where Perth is at relatively.

Reply #514858 | Report this post

Comeandsee  
Years ago

Cedric, although an off shooting night had a tripple double. 11pts, 11rebounds and 11 assists.

Reply #514861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ were crap against Townsville Dazz but maybe aren't that bad so vs Perth will be interesting.

Reply #514862 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Realistically I think MU's hopes were sunk somewhere in the past few losses. Cairns should lock down the minor premiership tomorrow night.

Adelaide should finish on 16 or 17.
I can't see Perth finishing on less than 16 or dropping the split, so I suspect the final four may be just about locked in.
(Ironically beat NZ probably means 6's won't face then in the semis.)

Perth need to pull something out on Sunday, because they will probably face NZ in the semis, and haven't beat them all season.

Reply #514864 | Report this post

master chief  
Years ago

Adelaide better off finishing in a position to play cairns ? I would be quietly confident against cairns and would love to see Perth and Nz slog it out in the other series. It really is game on isn't it.

Reply #514869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Cedric has a triple double and they still lose, ouch. Great times ahead for 6ers fans, and no, no one has claimned to win the minor premiership, just the championship!

Reply #514870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Has anyone ever noticed on FIBA live stats, they always have "VUKONA" in caps and the rest of the players are all in lower case."

I think that might be paul who does that ;)

Reply #514871 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson, a point guard, with a triple double. Who does he think he is, Magic Johnson?

Nah seriously, that's a good effort in a losing side, especially considering he had a horrible shooting night (4/18 @ 22%).

The 36ers ALMOST choked in the last, but in the end they showed more composure when the game was on the line then the Breakers did. Gibbo, Motum and Wilson the usual suspects who were cool under pressure.

Big game for Perth and NZ on Sunday, pity its not on TV (Ten are showing Kings vs Hawks.....).

Wilson has copped a lot of flack on here from posters, myself included in that. But I can't deny the impact he's having with the 36ers. 28 points tonight, 10 more than our next best (Motum). Although Jackson ended up with that triple double, I think the win and his points tally gives Wilson the nod in this one. He's definitely going to be an league MVP contender and I think he could quit now and still win the Mark Davis Trophy as 36ers MVP.

Reply #514873 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Adelaide better off finishing in a position to play cairns ? I would be quietly confident against cairns and would love to see Perth and Nz slog it out in the other series. It really is game on isn't it."

The irony is that I think Perth would (also) rather face Cairns. They have a terrible record in finals against NZ, and have yet to beat them this season.
Yes they have also lost in Cairns twice, but both without Knight and Hire.

Reply #514877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weird comp when the 3rd/4th ranked teams would prefer to play the minor premiers in the semi finals haha

Reply #514880 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Melbourne now have to win their last 4 games and hope Adelaide drop a game to Perth( H) or Wollongong (A)

No, Melbourne need to win all 4 AND 36ers need to lose BOTH of their games otherwise 36ers make it.

Reply #514883 | Report this post

annonymous  
Years ago

JOEY cool as a cucumber. He knows this time he has the roster he needs and so does the team. Turnovers in the 3rd and not a whisper of defeat, just purpose. Great Basketball right here in Oz... Awesome.. Awesome.. If this is how finals are going to play out, it will be one hell of a finals series..

GO SIXERS, GO...

Reply #514884 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Weird comp when the 3rd/4th ranked teams would prefer to play the minor premiers in the semi finals haha

Yeah, although having just taken them down in NZ, I shouldn't imagine Adelaide would be TOO scared of The Breakers.

Reply #514886 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Got to often you could say that the guy who got the triple double lost you he game - but in this one I think it is true.

That said Websters' effort in a losing team is player of the week worthy.

Reply #514888 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Cats for life, where you at champ. Just remembered you were mocking me for thinking the 36ers would win. Cant wait for next Friday!

Reply #514889 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Geez, after 7 games there would have been some real criticism against Coach Joey, now the 36ers are again achieving damn fine results.

Reply #514891 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Is finnishing the season with 10 straight realistic? i think it is Perth at home and Wollongong away are both winnable,

I hope we treat every game from here on in as if its a final, we will be tough to beat if we bring our a game everygame.

Reply #514899 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Adelaide clear championship favourites IMO.

This team is legit.

As a breakers fan, i'd like to think we lost it. But i can safely say ADL are IMO simply better, more talented and more skillful.

Johnson, Wilson, Motum, Petrie, Schen, Gibson, Creek.

I mean come on..thats an unbelievable 7 man rotation there.

Reply #514902 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Im saying, this is the most stacked 36er team from 1 to 10 I've seen in 20 seasons being a season ticket holder. The inclusion of DJ was so lucky, but it takes some luck and timing to win titles in sports sometimes. Def favourite for the title imo too.

Reply #514903 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I hate to say it but 36ers are looking impressive at the moment. The scary thing about the team is that they are winning big games on the road which is danger for the top 2 teams with home court advantage over the finals series.

Reply #514909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where's all the "when Wilson scores we lose" crowd?

The difference I see is that Motum has stopped stealing oxygen and actually started contributing.

Reply #514912 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

^^^ Anon same crowd calling for him to be MVP ^^^

Reply #514915 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

One of those games where you don't understand how the losing side got back in front ... and also don't understand how they lost it from there.

Reply #514917 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Great game, the Sixers looked so confident especially Jamar. Three massive wins on the road this season against the three toughest opponents at venues traditionally very hard to win at speaks volumes as to how the Sixers have got it together in the last half of the season. I haven't seen this for a long time and it must give them tremendous confidence going into the finals.

The defence still needs some work but we just have so many weapons on offence it's a thing of beauty as a Sixer's fan.

Reply #514920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only concern for the sixers right now is 3 point shooting. Looked really good the breakers weren't even bad

Reply #514921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I hate to say it but 36ers are looking impressive at the moment. The scary thing about the team is that they are winning big games on the road which is danger for the top 2 teams with home court advantage over the finals series. "

I have no wish to diminish their well-deserved victory, but lets not get stupid eh?

"winning big games on the road"?
They have won ONE "big game on the road," after doing their best to lose it in the last quarter, and exactly how "big" it is remains to be seen.
You can't have it both ways. Maybe the Breakers are a spent force and won't make the grand finals, so in that case this wasn't such a big win afterall. Particularly if the Sixers don't play them again. Or if it was a big win and the Breakers are still a force then I wouldn't be uncorking the champagne just yet.

Sixers are most likely to play Cairns, one of the best defending teams so thats going to be a tough test. So even if you get past that youll either face a very tough Breakers or even tougher Wildcats and the roadtrips will kill you.

Reply #514922 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Props Sixers, def a legit shot at the title and deserve to be the current favourite although I wouldn't write off Cairns just yet.

Reply #514923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 922

They have won their last six road games which have been against every team except Townsville.

Reply #514928 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Yep, we've won 11 of our last 12 games, and our last 6 away games. And we just beat the top team away.
If that's not winning the big games, I'm not sure what is.
New Zealand were 10-2 before last night at home.
Maybe NZ are a spent force? They were top of the ladder. The best team in the league to that point in the season. They don't have injuries (well, Pledger, but he's been this level of injured since round 1).
No, we're not popping the champagne just yet. But considering we were pretty much the bottom team a couple months ago, it's probably fair that we have some optimism. Considering we are far and away the in form team in the league at the moment. And we're beating every team, at home or away. Maybe the run will end. It probably will. But at this point in time, we have the best shot we've had at a championship since a new import called Willie Farley was running around in our jersey.

Reply #514934 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

The top 4 are all legitimate contenders for the title. Should be a great playoff series, would be nice to see best of 5 game series given there are no losers making up the numbers this year.

Reply #514935 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They have won ONE "big game on the road," after doing their best to lose it in the last quarter, and exactly how "big" it is remains to be seen.
These are Adelaide's six most recent road games:

Adelaide won in NZ, 88-93 (top two team)
Adelaide won in Sydney, 86-105 (Childress played 27 mins)
Adelaide won in Wollongong, 85-89 (lowly, but playing well)
Adelaide won in Perth, 102-106 (no Knight, but no Johnson)
Adelaide won in Melbourne, 89-91 (then in the four)
Adelaide won in Cairns, 77-84 (top two team)
Sixers are most likely to play Cairns, one of the best defending teams so thats going to be a tough test. So even if you get past that youll either face a very tough Breakers or even tougher Wildcats and the roadtrips will kill you.
The road games that the 36ers have won 6-0 of recently? And Cairns who Adelaide beat on their home floor, before adding their past MVP in Johnson? With 10th man Daly playing 10 minutes?

Yes, the streak might wrap up, and it all might go pear-shaped, but you can't deny the 36ers' recent road credentials and that they are a form team.

Reply #514940 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Haters will deny where ever they can Isaac haha No matter how sound you make. Other teams would be freaking about playing Adelaide now in a 3 game series.

Reply #514941 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Only way some haters will acknowledge the 36ers is if they beat Adelaide in Adelaide

Reply #514943 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anon#922 they also beat Cats in Perth. I'm a Self confessed one eyed wildcats fan but even I can see this 36ers team is legit,. I wouldn't want to be facing them in the semis , home or away.

Reply #514945 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I think that might be paul who does that ;)"

Haha! Well, he deserves a man-sized name! He cost NZ the game tonight though with that silly foul on Motum and missed lay-up. He's won them more than his fair share though so I'm sure all is forgiven.

What a brilliant game that was last night, the level of talent on show really was extraordinary, Wilson, Gibson, Johnson, Webster, Jackson, Abercrombie and Ibekwe all had patches where they just showed their class.

Credit to the refs too, they called it like a playoff game and maintained the balance between whistle and flow pretty well (awful no call on the Jackson drive near the end though!).

I would love an Adelaide v NZ GF because they both have such great athletes and play really attractive basketball.

Reply #514947 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Sixers just have too much firepower for all the other teams with the inclusion of DJ. They also tighten the screws on D just enough and at the right times for them to win.

Reply #514948 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

The most confident and united ( unlike Melbourne) team we've seen for a long time. They look like they realy enjoy playing together and for the coach. They play exciting, agreessive, fun basketball. Fun to play and to watch. (Why would any player want to leave at seasons end?)
IF they don't win it all, it wil be because someone played really well against them TWICE!
The only concern is despite looking great in every game (since Jamar took over for the last quater against Melbourne) every game ends up tight. Our offense is great and our defense is so agressive it does allow opponents to score.
Any team prepared to fight it out ( like Hawks, not like Melb) seems ot be able to get back into a game and give themselves a chance.

Reply #514951 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

swish...

i am sure those last 1/4 fade outs have been highlighted by the coaching staff and is certainly something i am sure they will work on...

it is scary how good this team COULD be...

Who would have thought that they would have been in this position at the start of the season...

certainly not me...

Bring on Perth...

one more win secures top 4 2 wins could possibly get 3rd

Reply #514957 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Grovemister, I would say the top 4 is already set. With Knight back Perth are getting wins again, Adelaide is on a roll and Melbourne are playing like its already lost this season.

Even if Adelaide happen to drop both remaining games against Perth and Wollongong, Melbourne have to win everything. They have the Sunshine Swing starting tonight in Cairns (can't see the Taipans losing) and tomorrow night against the Crocs who have beaten them recently. I can't see United winning even one game this weekend, let alone both.

Reply #514961 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

IF perth lose to breakers AND Adelaide.... could 36ers still get third if they beat wollongong as well?

noting Perth's LAST game is at home against a somewhat also inform Townsville possibly playing their last game...

Reply #514967 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I think it's fair to say my sledging got the team over the line. Disappointed with the crowd after all the hype they receive though

Reply #514971 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"Muzz Buzz A couple of hours ago 09:18 13 Feb 15

Only way some haters will acknowledge the 36ers is if they beat Adelaide in Adelaide"

OHH yes it would certainly be a game for the record books , I see the heading " Adelaide Beats Adelaide in Adelaide " LOL

Reply #514974 | Report this post

ronny  
Years ago

Adelaide should be the team to beat from here on. Perth are clearlky inferior to last seasons version and the Breakers and the Tapians are nowhere as good over a 3 game series even with HCA.

Reply #514975 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

'IF perth lose to breakers AND Adelaide.... could 36ers still get third if they beat wollongong as well?'

Yes. We're even on wins at the moment. They have one less loss. So we need to beat them and beat Wollongong and they win 1 or 0 games. Or we need to beat them by like 35 points to get the season split.

Reply #514977 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It might come back to bite me, but I think we may prefer to be 4th then 2nd or 3rd

Reply #514981 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Although they have aged me by a couple of years, I like the fact Adelaide have closed out those close games (and there have been a few of them in this winning streak).

It doesn't mean they will win the championship but its shows they have a "willing and able" mindset which a championship team needs.

I also agree with an earlier statement that the finals should be absolute crackers (so long as Melbourne don't miraculously fall in and push either Adelaide or Perth out).

Reply #514984 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

ronny, how can you comment that Breakers and Taipans are nowhere as good over a 3 game series?

They have been the most consistent teams all season. Sure, Adelaide's on a roll and the team to beat at the moment but the other top teams are still classy units. They may have the odd bad game but have generally shown an ability to recover by the next game (Perth's January excepted).

Reply #514987 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Never flirt with winning form.

We are clearly the form team at the moment, who the other 3 are no doubt fearing. We should be confident of beating anyone (which we have to do to win the title anyway), so keep the pedal down & win every game.

I cant believe there would be any thought in Joey's mind of losing to play Cairns....Boomers anyone??

Huge turnaround considering where we were mid season. Credit where credit is due, great job by the club.

GO SIXERS

Reply #514988 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Some ominous signs from Johnson last night too, this time against a quality frontcourt.

Reply #514994 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Kobe24 I'm here buddy, what ever I say u will just find some come back any way. If my lose tonight then Perth are in for there 29 consecutive play off appearance on row. It's called consistency over a period of time that ure ball club hasn't.

I'll get excited to if my team one a few extra games, prob can't fit any more spoon's.

If u win good luck

Reply #514995 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hopefully the club can keep this roster together for a full season next time around. Would be more confident if they were going to head through with HCA in two series.

Reply #514998 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Sixers are hot right now. Would like there chances against Cairns in playoffs rather than Breakers. I still think Nz are the team to beat

Reply #515001 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

cats4life, your post lacked a certain man-ing up to admit you were wrong to mock Kobe24. Generally when you mock someone you open up the possibility of embarrassing yourself by being wrong. You were, so take the hit on the chin buddy, don't respond with a "well screw you anyway, we're successful, 29 seasons blahblahblah".

As you bring up the point, yeah, being the one club in the entire NBL to consistently have a cashed up owner over 30 years generally helps with stability both on and off-court. I wish every club had that, it would be great as a basketball fan, but it's not the case.

Last point, is it really that hard for you to type a post without slaughtering the English language? You don't have to be perfect by any means, but you could easily make it less irritating to read.

Reply #515003 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah cats i expected so much more from you... Guess u cant even argue with a nice win streak and best form leading into the playoffs.

Reply #515010 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Don't push it lol

Reply #515017 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Cats4Life...while your team might be consistent with 29 straight play off appearances and the most successful with 6 championships some would also consider them to be one of the biggest underachievers with only 6 from 29.

Reply #515020 | Report this post

stevo  
Years ago

Don't know if anyone said it yet, but well done V8, u called it by 5 pts in the preview. I wouldn't mind getting some tips off u to have a little wager next game!

Reply #515021 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Thanks stevo, I'd forgotten about that 5 point prediction LOL. It was honestly the first number that popped into my head.

Shoulda put money on it......

For the record, to win the season split over Perth, Adelaide need to win next weeks game by no less than 28 points. So, unless we do that or we end up with a better W/L record than the Cats, I'd say we're probably going to finish 4th at the end of the regular season. Whether that means we play Cairns or NZ remains to be seen. Either way we'll play one of them in the Semis.

Reply #515035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No reason to think NZ wont beat the Cats, and then the 6ers should beat the Cats and Hawks game too. If that happens, would be great to see NZ and the Cats beat the bejesus out of eachother in a gruealling 3 game series....

Whilst the 6ers cruise through ;)

Reply #515036 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

U love it! Like I said, I man up any time, it's not like ure killing are u? Fair enough u beat top four teams away, u beat Wollongong just twice with a home cooking call.

Beat Perth minus knight, ross just got injured and hire 1st game back in to months.

Beat Sydney at home and away with one game no j chill brandat walking wounded.

Mu away with Townsville and the hawks did as well, I ain't saying your crap, just saying that it has been a bit of a lucky streak. Breakers missed a few easy ones and u guys hit some tough shots. If u played again to night I reckon it would he a different result.

Under achieve over achieve u can't deny our club, only gf we got blown was against the kings at home. I'm here all night if u want to start going into history of the cats.

Reply #515037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"some would also consider them to be one of the biggest underachievers with only 6 from 29."

Hasn't this been discussed before and shown to be terrible logic?

Reply #515038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"some would also consider them to be one of the biggest underachievers with only 6 from 29."

Hasn't this been discussed before and shown to be terrible logic?

Reply #515039 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Cats4life, please please please can you spend all night brushing up on how to use "you" instead of excessively typing "u". I'm not against the occasional abbreviations but there's a line between "acceptable" and "making people want to destroy their computer screens".

Please remember there are people trying to read your posts (for better or worse).

And from a Perth vs Adelaide point of view, live in the now, the past is the past. If Perth beat Adelaide, so be it.

Reply #515042 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Not every one is privileged to have English skills, u still understand what I'm saying any way, may be u have the best teacher's as we'll as basketball team!

Reply #515043 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

KET : this is the internet, the home and creator of abbreviations.... Who on this planet woukd not be able to interpret "you" from writing "u" ..... That could be the most retarded comment I have ever read .

Reply #515045 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

I got alot of respect for nz, but u guy's must spend half the training session getting ure towl waving to perfection!! Maybe concentrate what the joey is saying then u might win games that u should.

At least joey sharpens up as a coach.

All due respect, I guys as a great club! Just don't pick faults in others when ure team is not winning. The flopping and the refs at our home game's and bka bla bla

If ure team was as consistent as ours then u to might of had cashed up owners, don't see vlahov and longley cashed up

Reply #515046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aah delusional Sixers fans, well I suppose you are the lifeblood of this forum.

Just love how you zero in on "oh we're so great we have won X of the last Y games"
Well here's a stat for you, you have won only 15 of the last 27, plus you've had to rely on Melbourne self-destructing to hang onto 4th spot. Yah way to go, "championship favourites," rah-rah.

Perth Wildcats have won more championships, so according to your logic THEY must be favourite to win another.
They have also made 29 consecutive finals, so according to your logic they don't even need to play next season because they will make the finals due to their record.

You will make the finals and congrats on doing that.
At that juncture the only games that matter are the ons in your future. That is FACT as opposed to the dribble in this thread.
You must face the Breakers or Taipans on their home courts and you must win two of three games. Be confident if you want but it doesn't matter how many time you beat Townsville or Wollongong. Streeks, ratios, and assorted other crap aren't worth a dime.

Do you want the NBL to give a special trophy "best streak before the finals"? Nobody gives a crap.

Reply #515047 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

^ you're not a Perf fan by chance?

Reply #515048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Longley isn't cashed up? 43 mill USD career earnings 20 years ago plus that insurance pay out

Perth fans don't you go changing

Reply #515050 | Report this post

Oberon  
Years ago

Is it the finishing 4th that has Adelaide fans feeling so inadequate? Get over it.
The season is played over 28 games, So the Breakers, Taipans, and Wildcats ALL did better than you. Yes theire dicks are bigger, deal with it.
Truly funny thing is that if it was only played over 14 or what magic number you wnat to fixate on, you wouldn't even have made the finals.
You finihs 4 you play Cairns, thats how it works. Those three games are the only ones that matter.

Reply #515051 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Tornado,

No, seriously, 6 titles from 29 appearances is a really good strike rate, given the number of teams in playoffs was sometimes much larger than it is now.

A good-faith argument against it is utterly impossible.

Reply #515052 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

You can't discredit 29 straight finals and 6 championships no matter which way you look at it. It's better than any other statistic you throw out there. I don't think any team or fan out there can say there team is favourite to win the championship. Come finals , no streak, no record is relevant. Any one of the current top 4 is capable of winning it this year , home court advantage or not. Save the victory speech for next month ;)

Reply #515053 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Cats4life, your posts are actually hard to read sometimes. The use of abbreviations, typos and general bad grammar means that we have to spend more time than necessary trying to decipher what you say.

Please don't think your posts are that worthwhile that you need to rush to type them.

Reply #515054 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Cats for life is the life line of this forum. So entertaining and delusional all at once. Perf, well played Jack, thats funny!

Ahh the finals are gonna be fun!

Reply #515057 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Kobe24: finals are gonna be insane !!

Reply #515058 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah Train, last year was more of can someone possibly upset the Cats, this season, its so much more even across the board. Sportsbet are going to be pulling out hairs trying to call it.

Reply #515059 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Uwe I feel sorry for you, you can't even compare what Perth has done, throw in 12 000 + crowds, Adelaide u wii never know. Imagine if we had $10 tickets? We need to play at subi oval.

Maybe call the NBA and play on the play offs there, seeing u guy's are that good we might gas have the trophy in Wollongong waiting for u guy's.

Reply #515060 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Shoosh, that'll do Cats, that'll do.

Reply #515061 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Great counter point!

Reply #515062 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I really really really hope it's a Cats vs 36ers final :P just another chapter in one of the greatest rivalries ever in the NBL

Reply #515064 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Huge nerves about finals. I had thought we weren't going to fire a shot, but we do seem to be recovering from that January debacle. I had also thought NZ were shaping up to be invulnerable, but it looks like they've actually screwed up top spot and Cairns will take it instead.

In particular, NZ are losing home matches (Kings, 36ers) which is a considerable surprise. So all of a sudden, everything is pretty finely balanced and any of the Top 4 are in with a shake.

Tipping Cairns to take out a maiden title atm. Double HCA should do the trick in crunchtime.

Reply #515066 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Do you want the NBL to give a special trophy "best streak before the finals"?

OMG, please no. Last thing we want to see is Schenscher without his pants...

Reply #515068 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Sixers look very good. Rode out a shaky spot in Q4 by holding their nerve and staying calm. Wilson has always impressed me as a 1 on 5 type player turned it on just at the right time. Johnson has been a great pickup. His scoring ability is just what your guys need.
Joey Wright has fitted together the pieces he needs. Just enough of Schenscher, Johnson, Wilson, Gibson without relying too much on one guy (Wilson aside). Moving into finals with a good set up.
Breakers look like going the other way. Rely too heavily on Jackson (penetration, outside game has gone), Webster, Abecrombie and the 3 ball with inside games of Pledger and Ubekwe underplayed esp. when % play required, to end a drought, or to stay in touch.
Pledger obviously injured but Ubekwe can take every other big guy in the league 1 on 1 from 10 feet facing the basket. Yet he doesn't get the call often enough. Unless CJ gets lucky from downtown I don't fancy our chances.

Reply #515140 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

People mention Rhys Carters form offensively steadily falling away as the season rode on yet Mika Vukona has been fairly average for the second half of the season offensively and no ones really said anything. He's missing lay ups and easy ones around the paint and that was the difference between winning and losing in this one.

Corey Webster found his shooting touch now NZ needs Carter & Jackson to do the same and then opposing teams will be inbounding the ball and not pushing it up the court in trans making things a lot easier defensively than they have been while a large portion of their outside shots have been rimming out.

Reply #515155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really really really hope it's a Cats vs 36ers final :P just another chapter in one of the greatest rivalries ever in the NBL

Such Rivalry only exists in the minds of Sixers fans

Reply #515354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good one

Lemme guess you became a wildcats member when they moved to the city

Go ask Cal Bruton, Ellis , Vlahov if there's a rivalry

Reply #515367 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HOME TEAM
C. Jackson: -7
C. Webster: 15
T. Abercrombie: 1
M. VUKONA: 4
E. Ibekwe: 1
R. Carter: -18
T. Wesley: 1
A. Pledger: -6
D. Bailey: -10
R. Te Rangi: -6

ROAD TEAM
B. Motum: -2
M. Creek: -5
A. Gibson: 8
L. Schenscher: 10
A. Petrie: -2
J. Wilson: 10
B. Teys: -4
D. Johnson: 10

Reply #515395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did all the Breakers travel to Perth or were any players rested given they can't catch Cairns at this point.

Reply #515408 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Those +/- are exactly why they can't be trusted in isolation.

So Jackson has a triple double yet is -7.
Motum comes up with some big plays down the stretch, and has a reasonable game -2.
Schenscher is reasonably ineffective for throughout +10.

Reply #515462 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Jackson 4 of 18 that's probably why he was minus 7.
Wilson outplayed him big time.

Reply #515560 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:00 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754