Dazz
Years ago

Which WAS the most Popular Melbourne team?

I'm just curious, and would like to hear from Victorians whom they would regard as having been the most popular "back in the day" and/or who would have the best heritage?

Naturally part of my curiosity is sparked by the idea of bringing back a 2nd Melbourne team, but I am also just idly curious. Many of those teams pre-dated my following NBL, and even later, whilst I recall some great games and rivalries, I never really got a sense of how popular those teams were at home.

I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone who followed one of the early clubs like St Kilda or Coburg, particularly if you tried following their descendants...

Topic #36467 | Report this topic

Hoopie  
Years ago

North melbourne giants until they folded, then the tigers

Reply #514890 | Report this post

the option  
Years ago

St Kilda were great to follow when the nbl started, used to go and watch them train. I still followed them when they became Westside Saints but after they disapeared so did this fan. Also did not mind Nunawading when Barry Barnes was there.

Reply #514893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spectres/Magic then Giants.

Reply #514895 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Knox Raiders

Reply #514907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poowong > Knox

Reply #514910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South Dragons, no doubt!

Short, but sweet.

Reply #514911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South Dragon > Knox

Reply #514916 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

From the outside i thought the magic had a great brand and seemingly a very passionate legion of fans.

Reply #514918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magic was the extension of the Spectres/Eastside crew, same people and supporters, the most passionate Basketball people in Victoria.

Reply #514927 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If they were still around today, we would be talking about the success of the Perth Wildcats and the South Dragons...

Reply #514932 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

SE Melbourne Magic had the biggest single-season average for crowds (around 9900 from memory), but a longer period of time it was definitely the Tigers, and their fans were more passionate too, as much as an old Magic fan hates to admit it!

The NM Giants were the poor cousins in terms of numbers, though they had very passionate fans, the Titans got solid numbers for their time, while the Dragons could never consistently get people to games. The Victoria Giants would have to go down as the least popular.

Reply #514944 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I loved to hate the Magic in the early 90's more than any other club, Perth included. I wish we had them back, still remember that Bruce Boldon double clutch 3 to beat the 36ers at Finders Park like it was yesterday.

Reply #514953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magic > Knox

Reply #514962 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Knox > basketball

Reply #514964 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

"the most passionate Basketball people in Victoria"

because those is able to be both quantified and qualified....

I think the Magic probably take the award as the most popular team in the league's heyday.

Of course that Saints side that featured Parky and Kerle were the most fun to watch - but they were just prior to the heyday...

Reply #514966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saints > Knox

Reply #514968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Titans

Reply #514970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Titans > Knox

Reply #514972 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

knox>knox

Reply #514980 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Tigers.
Gaze, Copeland, Bradtke, LC would still beat most NBL teams now.

Reply #514983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SE Melbourne Magic had Shane Bright. Every team needs a short guy to for their fanbase to cheer for in order to be popular.

I'm not sure how Perth are managing their success with all their players over 6"

Reply #514986 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

That's 6foot not 6 inches!!

Reply #514989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers > Knox

Reply #514993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember the Magic well.
Did the fans carry over from the Saints & Spectres?

Reply #515007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spectres > Knox

Reply #515023 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Spectres

Reply #515032 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Spectres

Reply #515072 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Spectres

Reply #515080 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wtf Knox

Reply #515081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frank Drimic.

Reply #515084 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Drmic > Knox?

Reply #515096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frank Drimic > Knox

Reply #515097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frank Drimic > (Hawthorn Magic^2) = Sandringham Sabres

Reply #515099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SE Mel Magic: Rose, Bolden, Ninnis, Perry, Lucas,Dorge, Ronaldson, Shanahan, Lemanis, Parkinson.

They had a huge membership base playing in front of 8-9k crowd each week at the Rod Laver arena. Those were the days when the NBL games was action packed!

Reply #515110 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

To throw Shanahan's name in that group is wrong. Was barely the water boy, maybe you mean Perry....

Reply #515125 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Has anyone actually done any market research on bringing back a 2nd team?

Reply #515129 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

@Nobody

"Tigers.
Gaze, Copeland, Bradtke, LC would still beat most NBL teams now."

Why do you say so? History shows that team couldn't beat most of the teams back then!

Reply #515130 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"SE Mel Magic: Rose, Bolden, Ninnis, Perry, Lucas,Dorge, Ronaldson, Shanahan, Lemanis, Parkinson.

They had a huge membership base playing in front of 8-9k crowd each week at the Rod Laver arena. Those were the days when the NBL games was action packed!"

Actually, Goorjian had them playing a fairly bland style of basketball which didn't help keep the crowds coming in. The Tigers played action-packed basketball, one-way action but that's good to watch!

The Tigers, in that form would get murdered today. If that talent was mixed with the professionalism of today it would be hard to stop, but they would probably have to add more depth to the roster to compete over a full season.

Reply #515141 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Magic v Tigers derbies were pretty much always amazing, huge crowd, ebbs and flows, real passion in the building. Shame that is all lost now, maybe for good.

Reply #515142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lost for good alright, it will never be the same again because the formula in Victoria that created the rivalry and success has been permanently damaged...

Reply #515144 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Paul + 1

When the NBL started rationalising the Victorian teams, the bean-counters were no doubt confident that the fans would move across to another team. The fans proved them wrong. And they were NEVER going to support the Tigers!

A bit like the AFL - they tried to break the Melbourne strangle-hold by encouraging mergers and ended up by dropping teams. Melbourne was the power-base and had the most passionate fans.

Reply #515161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victorians have become so stuffed around and betrayed by the teams they followed and constant name changing, folding and de-alignment that the NBL as a product is a Basketcase here.

Better off not having a team here for a few years and trying again later on when the pain and bitterness has subsided....

Reply #515201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the teams I have seen live (never saw st kinda, spectres, Geelong, etc)

1. North Melbourne
2. Tigers
3. SE Melbourne Magic
4. Dragons
5. Titans

50 thousand feet of crap

Melbourne United

Reply #515206 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The NBL didn't rationalise anything. Teams merged and folded of their own volition.
Personally, I think the merger between the Giants and Magic was a mistake. Might have been best to just let the Giants fold and keep the Magic.

As for the AFL, there is no "Melbourne Stranglehold." There were (and are) simply too many teams in Melbourne to be financially viable. The alternative was simply to let the Bloods and Lions disappear. Even now, Hawthorn who are a powerhouse on the field can only survive by selling games to Tasmania.

Reply #515237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victoria have has so many NBL teams. The Original Teams were:

Nunawading Spectres
StKilda Saints
Coburg Giants
Melbourne Tigers
Frankston Blues
Geelong Supercats

We then got :

Melb Tigers continuation
SE Melb Magic
North Melb Giants
Titans
Giants MK3
Dragons
United.

Have I missed any?

No wonder Victorians are fed up and disillusioned with the NBL.

Reply #515238 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

KNOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no club that can get near them.

Reply #515249 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Eastside.
Westside.
Nunawading.

Reply #515274 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Apologies on mentioning Nunawading again

Reply #515276 | Report this post

the option  
Years ago

St Kilda Pumas (as in the big cat) is what they were called for the first two or three years in the nbl. After that they became the Saints. In the late 70's i played in their rep teams, before they disappeared and Saints nbl player Mike Slusher was our coach.

Reply #515313 | Report this post

the option  
Years ago

Oh for the old days of the nbl, one week at Nunawading then Albert Park and watch out when you had to go to Coburg. It was also good to be able to watch the women play in the game before.

Reply #515317 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:38 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754