Isaac
Years ago

Adam Ballinger announces retirement

The Wollongong forward will draw the curtain on his 12-year NBL career when the Hawks host Adelaide in the final game of the regular season on Sunday week.

'‘It's a bit sad, 35 years of playing basketball and it’s at an end,’’ Ballinger said.

‘‘I just feel like it’s time. I feel good about saying I’m done and I feel good about going on to do something else. I’m proud of my career and what I’ve done in this league.’’
Full story by Tim Keeble

I remember when he was first with Wollongong and there was talk of Adelaide pinching him. At that point, I think he ranked top five in scoring, rebounding, 3P%, FG% and blocks, or something similar. I think it was top five in five statistical categories.

If you don't follow Ballinger on Twitter, he is often posting basketball-related illustrations he's worked on - take a look at @adam_ballinger

Topic #36470 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

Was an offensive force back in the day. A good career by any standards.

Reply #514937 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Moving back to Melbourne would be a handy pickup on and off the court.

Reply #514938 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Congratulations on a great career Balls and thanks for the memories!

Reply #514942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would he play SEABL??

Reply #514946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scored 40 points in his first ever NBL game and some people said he was the second coming of Scott Fisher. Never quite reached those heights, but had a hell of a career anyway. Terrific player and a really good guy.

Reply #514952 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

top bloke

both on and off the court

was sad to see him leave the 36ers when he did but can see the big picture now as to why he was released

certainly plenty of rumours at the time...

Reply #514955 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Sadly I was right (for once). This is his last season.

All jokes aside, well done to Balls for a wonderful career, especially here in Australia.

Fitting that his last game in the NBL will be against Adelaide.

Reply #514960 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

All the best in retirement Balls.

Reply #514965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Few SEABL were chasing him but heard he ready for next chapter in his life.

Good luck and thanks for memories

Reply #514999 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Love Balls but Dude there was no point in you coming here to NSW it was curtains last year bro. Should have found a real job 12 months ago instead of wasting this season with the Hakws. Just jokes man.
Good luck Homie. All you know is hoops so stick with it G.

Reply #515000 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

All the best to him in retirement

Reply #515015 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

I met Balls back in the day. He was sacked from the new iteration of the Giants. What a joke that coach was. Same as the retard who sacked Redhage. Limited experience with him after that but where ever he played he gave 110%.
Great character and a testament to commitment and the NBL game.

Reply #515026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the 36ers;

In 08/09 over 20ppg in both seasons.

Over 50% from the field and over 44% from 3pt line

8rpg and around 80% from the line.

Similar stats the year before with the Hawks.

Just a beast with the short 3pt line.

Not sure if there was an injury around about that time although his production and percentages fell from 2010 onwwards.

Reply #515028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

edit on above - change to 40 minute games - was still quite good in 2010 (all nbl second team) although 3pt% went from 48.5% to 35%.

Reply #515029 | Report this post

Claydo  
Years ago

Cracking innings. Was still able to go, pity Gordie refused to use him in pick and pop situations - deadly shooter.

Reply #515041 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well done on a good career.

That also answers one question for The Hawks.

Reply #515056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shouldve dropped Ballinger instead of Gruber.

Reply #515070 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Was a quality player for the Sixers and provided some great memories. His jumper was rock solid and I'd love how pumped up he'd get after hitting a big three!

Reply #515112 | Report this post

Air-T 18  
Years ago

One of my absolute favourite 36ers imports and did not begrudge him when he left to goto Melbourne, been a great player for the league, we'll miss #54

Reply #515122 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:27 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754