Titfortat
Years ago

Playoff X Factors

So who are the respective X factors from each of the playoff teams?

Cairns-Torrey Craig?
Adelaide-Daniel Johnson?
New Zealand-Alex Pledger?
Perth-Wagstaff or Hire?

Feel free to add who you think

Topic #36479 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Well for Adelaide is DJ Motum and Wilson, no rule says you can't have 3... but in the true spirit of the thread gotta be an unsung, so Teys or maybe even Schenscher if given the burn he hasn't had lately.

Reply #515103 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Cairns: I agree with Craig, simply because he has been so hit & miss. He's had some big games, and some where he has gone missing. If he were to light up consistently he could really smash a finals series.

Adelaide: Again I would agree with Johnson, still finding his feet and has one really big game. If he keeps hitting consistently they're going to have an unstoppable front court.

NZ: I'm gonna go with the old fella Vukona. He's past it, and he's struggling, but has he got one more finals campaign in him? If he can lift, he can lift his entire team.

Perth: Damo Martin. When he scores, Perth wins. At times with Martin its like having a 6-man defence, and a 4-man offence. He has shown some glimpses of what he can do offensively this season. If he is at his best at both ends, the opponents will struggle.

Reply #515133 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

X factor for the Sixers might be to get their three point percentage up by just a few.

Ten of our last 12 games have been won by 7 pts or less so just a few more triples could make a huge difference.

Missed threes often = turnovers.

Quite a few sixers should be jacking up extra threes every day until they are tuned up with increased confidence.

Particularly Gibbo who can be especially damaging.

Teys who has been just a little off with his shooting.

Crawford who is very quick to jack them up and may be important in coming weeks, also is maybe playing for a continued career.

Creek who still lacks totally in confidence in the face of many opportunities being offered and has shown in the past he can swish them at times.

Given our front court we aren't as dependent on outside shooting as other teams but just a very small improvement might just be our X factor to a title.

Reply #515170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does missed threes often = turnovers ?

Reply #515171 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Carter for NZ. Will he have 10 or 0?

Martin's scoring for Perth. Will he be cold or punish being left open.

Craig or Weigh in Cairns.

Maybe Crawford or Schenscher in Adelaide. I think DJ has been more reliable recently. Alternatively, Gibson's scoring.

Reply #515222 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Martin for Perth - can change the have with his defence and take some pressure of other players when he is looking to score.

VUKONA for NZ - Will he stay out of foul trouble

Craig for Cairns - When he is hot he can break a game open

Johnson for 36ers - dangerous when he gets on a roll , his defence seems better since he has been back also

Reply #515225 | Report this post

Adelaide: Johnson
Cairns: Craig
Perth: Beal
NZ: Carter

Reply #515241 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Adelaide - DJ. He's still got his offensive game but seems to have picked up a defensive game when overseas. It would seem someone got in his ear that with his height he should be a shot blocker.

Perth - Martin. If he starts hitting his shots Perth will be much more dangerous.

NZ - Carter. When he's hot, he's hot. But will he be hot or cold?

Cairns - Weigh. If he lights up from outside it will greatly improve the Taipans chances of their first title.

Reply #515242 | Report this post

Peterjohn  
Years ago

Anon - if your team's 3 point percentage generates less points per shot than the other team's points per shot, then taking lots of 3 point shots disadvantages you.

Adelaide score 0.96 points per 3 point shot. Only Perth scores less than that per field shot. i.e., Adelaide's 3 point shooting loses them points relative to every other team's offence, except for Perth.

So, unless Adelaide improves its 3 point percentage, their inefficient 3-point offence means the other team gets more chances to outscore them. I suspect that's to what Ayjay is referring.

X-factor for Adelaide will be defence. That will need to improve to win finals' series against either NZ or Cairns.

Reply #515273 | Report this post

Ballwatcher  
Years ago

I think the biggest X factor will be unforseen injuries to key players.

Cairns - take out Wilkebin and Bruce

Adelaide - remove Wilson and Motum

Perth - point the bone at Wagstaff and Damo

NZ - Deep freeze Jackson and possibly Abercrombie/Pledger

Reply #515342 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754