Happy Days
Years ago

Goorijan rejects United offer.

So who gets the gig then???

Topic #36488 | Report this topic

benno  
Years ago

The way they are playing right now...hmm helen keller.

Reply #515316 | Report this post

the option  
Years ago

I hear Bruce Palmer is in Melbourne doing a coaching clinic, at least he could be entertaining to watch.

Reply #515319 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

So where did this info come from HD?
If United were offering $400k + you might have a scent of getting Goorj.
I doubt that that sort of money was offered, so it really is Goorj may have rejected a piss poor offer.

Reply #515320 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Nobody, whats the difference why he rejected it... same result.

Reply #515323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Goorj on around $1 million a year in China?

Reply #515328 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Goorijan is on $750k and has re signed in China.United took to long to table the offer.

Reply #515335 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Kobe24 offer chump change at it will always be rejected.
What's DMac on now? Less than chump change. Monkeys and peanuts.

Reply #515337 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

What good coaches out there??

Smyth, Stacker, Joyce, Bevo??? all have decent NBL records

Any really good assistants coming through??

I dont really miss Gorj, his style of play was bad for the league, and he was a bit over rated, he always had the most expensive roster and still couldnt win by playing basketball and had to turn it into a wrestling match, not sure thats a great basketball coach, especially when trying to draw crowds

Reply #515345 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think the appeal of Australia for Americans is that generally this is a nicer place to live, the beaches are better, but its culturally similar. We eat the same food, watch the same tv programs, speak the same lingo. It has always been the case that if you were prepared to shack up in some foreign shit-hole, play with an interpreter, and spend half your life on the toilet, there was a lot more money to be made. China is just the latest.
I don't blame Goorj or any of the players that make their choice, I have spent my own time working in Asia. But the NBL is NEVER going to compete with that.

Bevo should be up for the role, and I'm sure there's a few others out there.

Reply #515351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a shame about Goorjian. I'd love to see Westover back in the league.

Reply #515357 | Report this post

captain obvious  
Years ago

get bevo

Reply #515374 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

You know, I have to agree with Jonno about Goorjian's coaching style. He had some very talented (and for the NBL, 'high priced') teams that often turned games into wrestling under the basket (boy, wouldn't his style fit in with the Wildcats.....)

But seriously, United are a basket case. Why would he want to give up a snug and well paying job with the Dongguan Leopards in China to coach that rabble?

Reply #515376 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Bevo would have to be there number one target.

Reply #515381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaching jobs in China aren't "snug"

Reply #515385 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

You can HAVE Gleeson,
I'll pay for his airfare.

Reply #515557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy Days - you mentioned that he's re-signed in China. Which team is that as I just read that he's parted ways with Dongguan?

Reply #515703 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Can't say until it is announced.

Reply #515706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's going to a different team that didn't make the playoffs, which narrows it down. Dongguan finished 8th, lost to the first placed team 3-1.

Reply #515715 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Although I don't really like the idea of recycling coaches that used to be in the NBL (Bevo, Stacker, Smyth, Joyce were all let go for some reason or other and haven't got another NBL gig since so there must be a reason for this...)

Having said that I think the United are in need of a coach that can come in with some runs on the board and get the respect as the coach. An ex-player needs to build up the respect and I'm not sure that United have the time to do this...

Bevo would definitely be my pick out of these ex coaches but not sure if he would be willing to move??? If he does you might see some movement in the Wildcats roster as well???

Reply #515732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course there is a reason, pretty obvious why

Bevo = crappy imitation of Goorjian, unentertaining grind 'em out style that despite all the winning Perth management were over, also seems to have unrealistic salary expectations for his next gig when there was interest last off season

Stacker = one hit wonder up in T'Ville by recuiting unwanted ex- SE Melb Magic players he knew while an assistant to Goorj, he basically shadowed Goorj's recruiting work

Smyth = no system, just told the players "to play" and at the time Sixers were spending near the top so the talent was up to playing freestyle, look what happened once the spending was cut his laid back coaching style didn't work with a weaker squad

Joyce = after a decent career went too psycho and got booted out by Hawks, then the final straw was his nepotism at the Blaze which turned him into a running joke

Reply #515786 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's always a tough call, in any sport, do you try to lure a top coach from elsewhere, recycle a previously successful one, or give somebody who has been a successful assistant a go.

Personally, I think in MU's case, with the disharmony and need to rebuild the squad, they should go with experience.

Keep in mind that SUPPOSEDLY there will be a Brisbane team next season, so who has been lined up to coach that?

Reply #515803 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Brisbane would need maybe some staff.! I suspect wont be happening next season and if it does happen heaven help them.
Forget all the staff you need a side. Where does that come from if you have no GM and a head Coach at least? The rest are incidental. The NBL have shot themselves in the foot so far.
The current NBL season is all but over and how does anyone expect to recruit a new side without poaching?

Reply #515809 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'd love to see Scott Fisher lured back as a head coach.

Reply #515810 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Fish is an Iconic Legend, and I loved it when he was coach, but not sure how good he really was, and last I heard he was coaching in Hawaii or something?

Reply #515826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Listening to one of Fish's time outs was enough for me.

Reply #515827 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Asst coach in Hawaii somewhere? Let's hope he stays there. Close friend of Clint Eastwood ;)

Reply #515828 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Fisher did a decent job once his undermining and backstabbing assistant left.

Reply #515840 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Fisher on the West Coast now, head coach at a college. Recent interview said he also has a new lady partner in his life.

Reply #515870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is currently coaching a couple of Aussies at Ohlone, a JuCo in Fremont, California.

Reply #515874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Uwe, who was that>

Reply #515876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave Ingham is the answer for the anon who started following the league just yesterday

Reply #515917 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

What about Alan Black?

Reply #516098 | Report this post

Anons  
Years ago

Response to poster #515786

Thank you for your banal and idiotic response to this thread, we are now all dumber for having read it. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

I've had the privilege of seeing Ian Stacker in action, by way of coaching workshops and in his time at SE Melb, and am happy to tell you that you are so far from the truth that it is laughable. Actually, I'm still laughing...Stacks created the ITC program in Vic and was Head Coach at the AIS for 3 years, coached the U17 and U23 National Teams and won a World Championship in 97 or 98 (memory blank)!! He won NBL coach of the Year twice!

And I'm not going to even start on you about Brendan J, there's too much. He coaches a National team!!

So if you don't know what you're talking about, don't make it plainly obvious to the world with an ignorant post, just keep it to yourself. You'll be much better off, and so will we.

Reply #516162 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

What about Alan Black?

I don't know, he's one of those recycled guys about whom rumours abound. He's capable enough, and has done a good job, including a championship, but he has been "controversially" sacked a few times. Maybe he's just been unlucky, or maybe he rubs some people the wrong way?

Reply #516194 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:25 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754