Dazz
Years ago

What IS the "Game Clock" rule?

Not (too) bitter just after some clarification from somebody that knows the rules.

I know that with the shot clock, the player only needs to release the ball before expiry.
But I always thought that when the game clock went, that was it, period over?
Guess I was wrong, but would just like some clarification.

For anybody not aware, Jackson let rip a game-winning shot from half-court. It made the basket well after the game-clock had expired, but presumably he had released the ball in time.

Topic #36499 | Report this topic

Green 76  
Years ago

You have to release it before the clock goes off

Reply #515556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clock was reset from 1sec back to 2.6.... but NBL tv didn't change their clock counter.

Reply #515561 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I thought he released the ball in time. Refs called it good too, then went to the replay. If they were watching the same NBL.tv replays that were shown on the screen, they wouldn't have been able to conclude whether or not the ball was released after the buzzer. Score stands.

Reply #515562 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If all he has to do is RELEASE before the clock expires then I THINK he made it.
Personally, I am more annoyed at Gleeson's poor coaching, and the overall farcical nature of the game.

I mean seriously, your opponents have 2.6 seconds to inbound and make a shot, all you have to do is get in their way.

I don't know if it was planned, but you have to give BIG cred to Jackson for making the shot.

Reply #515564 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

It felt good but it was close and definitely worth reviewing.
Kind of embarrassing that the footage (at least the footage that was shown in the arena) was not helpful.

Reply #515565 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

You don't know if it was planned? What the hell do you think he was doing in the final seconds of the game when his team was down?

Reply #515568 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I did see Vaughan say to the other ref "well they're already shaking hands" to try and avoid reviewing the shot.

Reply #515570 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just has to leave the hand before time runs out.

Tonight, it was confusing for those watching NBL.TV:

- foul seemed to occur with 5 seconds left (play-by-play shows it happening with 7 seconds left!)
- clock kept running until stopping at 3 seconds
- clock behind the bucket showed 2.2s
- when NBL.TV was showing the Beal FT, there was 1s on the clock
- seemed like Jackson was moving quite leisurely for 1s!
- then the feed cut out abruptly after early Breakers celebrations and didn't return

Reply #515573 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

There was originally 1.0s on the clock but it was changed to 2.6s

Reply #515574 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

It definitely left his hands before the clock went off. But confusing as the NBLTV scoreboard showed 00:01, even though it'd been reset to 2.6.

Reply #515613 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The funny thing was that they had changed the setup so that red-lights around the BACKBOARD lit-up. Then they were either told to disconnect that, or it stopped working, so they switched it back to the shot-clock only.

In the vision they showed, the shot-clock wasn't visible when he released. Moments later it was visible and red, but at that point the shot was away.

There was a LOT of phaffing with the time-keeping and scorers today. They gave points to the wrong team, gave 2 instead of 3, and often had the wrong players up. (Talking about the central scoreboard, no idea if they had the same issues online or tv.) Not very professional. LOL

Reply #515619 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

FIBA rules state that the backboard should light up:

2.6 For Levels 1 and 2, each backboard shall be equipped with lighting around its perimeter, mounted on the inside borders of the backboards and which lights up in red only when the game clock signal sounds for the end of a period. The lighting shall be a minimum of 10 mm in width and cover a minimum of 90 % along the edge of the backboard glass area.

I'm not sure that the Perth Arena backboards have ever lit up. Jesse Wagstaff's shot at the end of the first quarter of Perth's 40-point win over Wollongong last year counted because the shot clock was out of frame, too.

Reply #515639 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'm almost sure its new, as I noticed for the first time today.
But then they had the ladder out to that end, so I guess it stopped working and they reconnected the lights outlining the shot clock.

Reply #515641 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

'There was a LOT of phaffing with the time-keeping and scorers today. They gave points to the wrong team, gave 2 instead of 3, and often had the wrong players up. (Talking about the central scoreboard, no idea if they had the same issues online or tv.) Not very professional. LOL'

You've obviously never been to Adelaide Arena.
Can't remember the last time that the scoreboard cube and player scoreboard both were actually right at the same time. It really is a joke here. The scoreboard might as well just be a rough estimate of how the game is going.

Reply #515642 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

On the game clock rule... Wouldn't say it happens all the time, but probably once a month in the NBA is a game won on a shot that goes in after the siren has sounded (ball in the air before but in after). So, unless they run different rules, which wouldn't surprise me, it would suggest that is fine.

Reply #515643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL is atrocious with the lighting up backboard rule. Maybe this shot will alert the powers that be to fix it. Oh wait, this is the NBL so nothing will be done.

Watching on Sky here in NZ on a big screen the tv coverage ticker was frozen until it was equal with the actual time left. Then you can clearly see Cedric releases the ball between 0:01 and 0:00 so the shot is good. of course lit up backboards would make it so much clearer.

Reply #515781 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure the backboards were lit up. The problem was that neither replay angle showed both the shot being released, and the backboard lights/game clock in the same frame.

Reply #515784 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Only the shot clocks lit up. The backboard was in the shot at the right time, but there were no lights.

Reply #515791 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Ok, gotcha. I remember something coming in to the frame after the shot. It was the shotclock, not the backboard.

Reply #515794 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Only the shot clocks lit up. The backboard was in the shot at the right time, but there were no lights.

Correct.

It was working at the start of the game, but I guess something went wrong. At half time they had the ladder out. Either trying to fix it, or swapping it back to the shot-clock lights.

At the time he released, the backboard was in shot, but not the clock, then later the shot-clock game into view with red lights on, but that was clearly after he had released.

Reply #515795 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I am going to invent a ball that syncs with the shot clock and lights up when the time runs out!

Reply #515830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The nbl is a b grade competition and I don't expect anything other than poor reffing and poor score bench people. Simple as that

Reply #515833 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I am going to invent a ball that syncs with the shot clock and lights up when the time runs out!

Nah, make it EXPLODE!

Reply #515837 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

If you guys take a look at the Wildcats' own highlights video, they do include Jackson's shot at the end. They have their own HD camera taking footage for their highlights and this footage contains both Jackson and the shotclock.

0.3 was left on the clock (goddammit) when the ball left his hand.

Reply #515846 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:07 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754