Dazz
Years ago

Gleeson's Frustrating Coaching

Let me be clear, the Cats had ample opportunities to win that game and didn't.
That it came down to that incredible shot from Jackson is the stuff of legend, but Gleeson's coaching left a lot to be desired.

The man can coach, obviously. And he's won a championship, so credit where its due.
But he really seems to struggle to adjust to what happens during the game.
It's like he writes the "play book" before the game, then switches off, and if called on to make decisions during the game outside what he's prepared, he struggles.

Topic #36500 | Report this topic

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Give us some examples in today's game, you need to back it up.

Reply #515563 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"The man can coach, obviously"

That is the part I want to see examples of :p

Reply #515571 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I have NEVER before seen a game in which they so often ran out of shot clock. Obviously that is a credit to NZ defense, and comes down to the players on the court. But Gleeson is the author. Surely he has a plan B or C?

In the first half Beal got called for his 3rd foul. A softish block, nothing to get excited about, but he was immediately subbed for LUKE Martin. That immediately resulted in two turnovers. Subbing Beal on a 3rd foul is questionable, but standard. Replacing him with Luke (instead of U'U or even Hire) makes no sense.

For some reason this game, every time Jervis was on they kept running the "Centre at top of the Key" on offence (I don't know what you call it.) Jervis is not a great passer, he can't hit from out there, nobody is going to let him put in the floor from there, and he's got buckleys of snaring a board. He has proven his value close to the rim with both points and rebounds. He saw limited minutes today, for limited impact, probably because the plays weren't working.

As per usual, he started the last quarter with the bench, to give the starters extra rest. Fine, except they were getting butchered in the opening minutes and lost the biggest lead of the game.
Daniels was our leading scorer, leading rebounder (and had no fouls), yet Gleeson kept him sitting on the bench for the first 3 minutes.

It also seemed that he could have made better use of his time outs.

Lastly, when after free-throws the opposition has 2.6 seconds to inbound and score, how do you not program a play to stop that?

Reply #515577 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

they kept running the "Centre at top of the Key" on offence (I don't know what you call it.)
Didn't see the regular portion of the game, but do you mean a pick and roll? Pretty standard, even for a centre without range.
Daniels was our leading scorer, leading rebounder (and had no fouls), yet Gleeson kept him sitting on the bench for the first 3 minutes.
He was up 7 at that stage. Very, very common to start a bench rotation in the fourth. Within less than two minutes, he'd brought Beal and Knight back in.
Lastly, when after free-throws the opposition has 2.6 seconds to inbound and score, how do you not program a play to stop that?
Not their time-out to call, so you generally rely on the players reacting naturally. Even the camera expected a pass upcourt and had to dart back to find Jackson. Defending against a half-court shot wouldn't be the priority.

Remember, the smart teams are all about process and playing the odds. Defending a pass up the court would be a good option.

If anything, Wagstaff could've been pressuring Jackson a bit so he couldn't push it up so quickly, but didn't want to foul.

Reply #515579 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Didn't see the regular portion of the game, but do you mean a pick and roll? Pretty standard.

No, I mean Jervis stands at the top of the key and tries to pass to the wings or the player cutting. It didn't work, yet they kept running it.
I can only think that maybe they were trying to draw Ibekwe/ Pledger out to Jervis rather than letting them defend inside, but what's the point when it doesn't work.
He was up 7 at that stage. Very, very common to start a bench rotation in the fourth.

yes, that's my point, it is very common, but when you bench is suddenly getting slaughtered, you need to react. 3 minutes CLOCK time is a freakin eternity in basketball.

Reply #515582 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Dazz it's also a game of peaks & valleys. It's easy to blame the coach in hindsight! Jackson misses that shoe & Gleeson rocks?

U being a tad harsh!!

Reply #515591 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great explanations Isaac. I thought it was an incredible game to see. Both teams had opportunities to win and you can't really say the better team won. I'd love to see these 2 in the Grand Final after today. That shot was pure luck. You can't write a play to defend something like that. To blame a coach for a half court shot going in is hilarious.

Reply #515596 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Gleeson didn't miss all those 3s that Damien Martin did. I don't like Gleeson as much as the next guy, but maybe its as much the players fault as Gleeson's at this stage.

Reply #515609 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I struggle to understand what people don't like about him. He's the most passionate coach we've had in this league IMO, can't see a problem with that.

Reply #515618 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Dazz, just be thankful that Gleeson isn't Marty Clarke. Perth would be anchored to the bottom even with their roster if he was your coach.

If you want proof just look at the team Clarke took to two bottom places and a second bottom. Then Joey Wright comes in and takes almost the same roster to a Grand Final in one season.

The Cats had plenty of chances to blow the Breakers right out of the Perth Arena but didn't. And I think it had more to do with their woeful shooting than Gleeson's coaching.

Reply #515648 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Mark Radford was just as bad, Marty had the wrong support around him which didn't help. But thats another story! Your right though, that coaching staff would break Perths streak i a heart beat haha

Reply #515734 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Hahaha I forget about the garden gnome.

But but but, wasn't he Bevo's assistant when Perth won the GF?

Kinda shows who was the brains of that coaching outfit.

Reply #515753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When things aren't going his way all Gleeson does in a timeout is to rip into the players like a feral bogan. Fail.

Reply #515782 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Man you asked Radford, he will always be the brains! Poor guy was so out of his depth yet it was everyone else fault but his. Loved Stevie Weigh though haha

Reply #515800 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

So why is the shot clock running out the coaches problem? Since when?

Reply #515811 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

If Jackson misses that shot we're still excoriating Gleeson for the fact we scraped a 1pt 2OT win against a side where four starters had fouled out and we needed Abercrombie to go 0/2 from the foul line.

Losing that game was simply ridiculous - losing it to a 3/4 court prayer was apt in its own way, but we really shouldn't have lost that, especially when we built a solid 7-pt lead at 3Qtr time.

Reply #515813 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dazz it's also a game of peaks & valleys. It's easy to blame the coach in hindsight! Jackson misses that shoe & Gleeson rocks?

No, in all seriousness and honesty I'd be saying the same thing.

I honestly meant and thought I'd put "Frustrating" in quotes. As in, "Frustrating to Watch." Not suggesting I (or anyone else in particular) could do any better.

Basketball isn't like Cricket, where the coaches job is finished before the players walk out. It's a game of short plays, time-outs, substitutions, and micro-management. Not to the level of say NFL, but still.

I appreciate that you play percentages, you don't stop shooting threes because the first couple don't drop, nor do you make-up crap on the go. But when a set play repeatedly fails, don't you more than one play to try?

Reply #515823 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I dont think Gleeson is a good coach. Anyone could have coached last years team to the Championship. The next few years will determine his coaching ability with a somewhat ageing roster.

Reply #515858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson's first season is what you would call being a frontrunner. He took over from the previous Bevo era kept the system going and on top of that the club picked up a stud import. The momentum from the Bevo era has now been eroded and look at the outcome. Third season will be worse if not sacked.

I'd be sick if I were Bevo btw.

Reply #515919 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

@tornado how do you explain the success he had in Townsville then? Five straight playoffs with undermanned and underfunded teams.

Reply #516153 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Were any of those appearances in years outside the eight-team playoff format?

Reply #516161 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I can't see what that has to do with it considering they haven't made the playoffs once in the 4 years since he's been there!

Reply #516320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A freak shot in 2 o/t and its the coaches fault and btw he cant coach. Amazing.

Reply #516330 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

A freak shot in 2 o/t and its the coaches fault and btw he cant coach. Amazing.

Who has said that he can't coach? As clearly stated, he has been very successful.
Also, as clearly stated, the issue with this game was not losing to a Hail-Mary, it was that the Cats at their defensive best, with HCA and a longer break, could not out the Breakers away with 4 NZ players fouled off.

As for Gleeson, the "Frustration" is with the style of coaching.

Reply #516334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The man can coach, obviously. And he's won a championship, so credit where its due.
But he really seems to struggle to adjust to what happens during the game.
It's like he writes the "play book" before the game, then switches off, and if called on to make decisions during the game outside what he's prepared, he struggles."

Your own words Dazz = cant' coach. You apply for the job if he gets moved on and see how you go.
Why do we have so many people criticising most of the NBL coaches saying "they cant coach".

Reply #516340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Trevor.

Reply #516352 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I agree. I think I read somewhere recently that he has one of the best winning records of any NBL coach. Credit where credit is due. I don't really care what style a coach has as long as they're successful.

Reply #516402 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I can't see what that has to do with it considering they haven't made the playoffs once in the 4 years since he's been there!
I'm not sure that "they've only made the playoffs once in the top-four system" is a very good rebuttal to "they only made the playoffs that many times because of the top-eight system." If anything, it reinforces my point.

Reply #516423 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Dammit, messed up the quoting. First paragraph is a quote, second paragraph is my reply.

Reply #516424 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Um are you drunk? Read my line again. Townsville made playoffs every year, all 5 of them, when Gleeson was there. Do you even follow NBL?

Reply #516558 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, but was that because of Gleeson, or because Gleeson's tenure coincided with more teams making the playoffs?

Reply #516566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, let me understand your perspective for a minute. Wildcats won the championship last year due to a good roster and The Crocs made the playoffs for five straight years due to the NBL structure. Well there you go. Why even have a coach! Ha!

Reply #516593 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The man can coach, obviously. And he's won a championship, so credit where its due.
Your own words Dazz = cant' coach.

Yep, stupidest post of the year.

Reply #516686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet again "But he really seems to struggle to adjust to what happens during the game.
It's like he writes the "play book" before the game, then switches off, and if called on to make decisions during the game outside what he's prepared, he struggles."

Equals cant coach. Pretty simple Dazz you can't have it both ways. Wins a championship and now you don't like his frustrating coaching method and he struggles to make decisions during the game. So which is it Dazz?

Reply #516713 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754