player
Years ago

Chelsea Div 1 Men

Chelsea's men looking the goods. watched the game saturday night, where they slapped mornington around then belted them out of the park Vlads certainly put together a very competetive team

Topic #36505 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

How did Mornington look dare i ask???

Reply #515865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aren't Mornington Div 2?

Reply #515867 | Report this post

player  
Years ago

Yeah don't ask Poor old mornington,they seem to have some good players,just dont know what Berry is doing he seems to have his bench on more than his best 7 there's some tall skinny kid that got a lot of minutes thats just hopeless and so far out of his depth its not funny.

Reply #515872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everybody has been slapping Mornington around.

Don't think you can guage much about Chelsea from that game.

Reply #516047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting hearing Demarcus has already started blaming the players and bagging them

Reply #516057 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Give Demarcus a chance, hasnt got much to work with apart from some young kids who arent upto this standard yet.Club needs to get a couple of experienced players in to help the kids.

Reply #516063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why aren't there more experienced players at mornington?
Are they not developing their youth league players?
There are plenty of experienced senior players in the area, do they not want to join the club?

Reply #516068 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

You ask alot of legitimate questions and its upto the board to work out the answers.

Reply #516081 | Report this post

player  
Years ago

Berry is the problem at Mornington,i attended their tryouts there were 3or 4 well credentialled players there 2 were seabl and a couple of Div 1, none were prepared to play with Berry and the fact he was to be playing coach was the last straw Berry has no recruiting power whatsoever and it is clearly evident

Reply #516138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the money he is getting paid how the hell can they not hang there heads in shame.

Read there website and they have huge profits. Demarcus is being paid betwen 50-70K (from his on mouth) and the results have been nothing.

A club with that amount of money that has had the lack of senior success it has is a joke.

Credit to them for posting fantastic results off the court and they clearly are well run by there admin.

But make some smarter BBAll decisions, start seeing success on the floor and you will double that.

SMH

Reply #516277 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

50-70k? Is he in a full time role?

Reply #516290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Berry is getting 25-30k not 70k. People are so dumb

Reply #516291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

25-30K still way over paid. No teams in VC, a putrid YL team, A senior Mens side that would struggle to compete in YL2M.

Reply #516295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But he's American. Surely that means he's automatically more qualified than anyone else in the area!

Reply #516298 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Full time role and the first figures quoted are correct.

Reply #516306 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

#298, lol good call. But unfortunately for him there are a few more qualified people on the peninsula, but good on him for having a go.

Reply #516313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think everyone needs to give Berry a chance, the men's team have not even started the season and everyone seems to be writing them off.

Reply #516325 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

After the last committee driving the Mornington into closure making a profit was the easy part as the domestic program has always been solid. As for junior Breakers the last 2-3yrs it has gone from strength to strength. 14-15 teams still vying for VJL spots 5 are vying for VJL 1; massive improvement over 5yrs ago. Whether you compliment Berry or not with this he has been there to at least be given a mention for helping it. I would consider Sherbrooks program a failure as their seniors all play championships and best junior team is grading CC and hardly any juniors get an opportunity to play seniors there. Oops sorry forget we are here to bash Berry and Mornington who actually use their juniors in their senior program if they see potential in them. Should we discuss Chelsea's juniors? Pool CC is the best they can achieve and even that's questionable as it's in a depleted U18 girls VJL program where there are alot less teams and it may only run 5-6 Pools. Who's to answer for these issues at Chelsea, the board? A DOC? Lets hang them with Berry. If your apart of the Mornington program and your making negative comments you should hang your head in shame and remove yourself from the club immediately as Berry has a massive amount of support amongst it's coaches and parents who are in essence "The Club" without them no one there exists. If your not part of Mornington i hope your club is not struggling cause you may be the next target of morons posting lies on here.

Reply #516326 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

It is quite odd that even teams like Ringwood and Corio Bay have very poor results as far as junior teams playing in VJBL Championship grade - obviously not too many of their juniors make it through to senior Big V levels

Reply #516341 | Report this post

player  
Years ago

Not sure where you get your info from anonymous the junior program hasn't gone from strenght to strenght it has been in decline, previous 2-3 years mornington have had multiple teams vying for VC under Berry the numbers have declined rapidly this year they have no teams in VC

Reply #516354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those clubs aren't paying 70k+ to take care of their juniors

Reply #516357 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

It certainly is hard to measure success, it all depends on what areas you are using as KPI's. Is Mornington in a better place than 2-3 years ago, hard to tell but I highly doubt their DOC is to blame. I would say that the high turn over rate in committee members over the past 2-3 years would have had more to do with the clubs success or lack thereof, all having their own ideas and views and directions every time someone new came on board would have made it hard for anyone to plan and build a program.

If you are looking at who is the leader on the Peninsula, it is very simple, Frankston, followed by Sth Pen, then a very distant Western Port or Mornington, then Chelsea in that order.

And hey, if he is getting $70k GOOD ON HIM!

Reply #516372 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Mornington need to get some stability at board level and at least be competitive at Big V level.From what ive seen they will be towards the bottom of the ladder in Big V.Get Hankin in and a couple of players and they will be competitve.Southern Pen getting better on the court but committee going around in circles the last couple of years.Structure is better now with 2 fulltime staff.

Reply #516386 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Western port far from par with Mornington. Agree Frankston, Sth Pen, Mornington and a very distant Western Port; heard WP had someone else lined up and had to do backflips to get Kenny cause GM spruked that they had a game changer on the Peninsula (it wasn't Kenny), over $60000 on 1 player and a coach. Anyhow Mornington 3rd cog on the Peninsula; juniors are head and shoulders above WP. Agree need committee stability and unity and trust their DOC, whether that be DeMarcus or whoever is running the program.

Reply #516394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who did WPhave lined up?

Reply #516405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Off the court that is a fantastic result for the Breakers/Mornington baksteball association. But wether it is Demarcus or someone else, if 70K is being spent on a DOC I would expect different results. A club that can pay that amount shouldn`t be sitting down the bottom of a D2 men and YL2 Men.

I`d be sticking some of that money into the womens`s program, they actually seems to be seeing some sort of success as witht he junior girls.

But hey he is American after all so instantly that makes him the best candidate. Parents, juniors will always love the novelty factor!

An import that has been in our league for as long as he has should have built up contacts by now and been able to assemble a decent team.

Same recycled players as past years and a game plan clearly based around getting him his shots. The 1400 practice games so far have been evidence of that.

The comparrisons made to to the other clubs when defending Mornington....They are not paying people anywhere near those sorts of numbers. The OP stated that for that sort of money the results should be alot better like at the top of D1 or competing in state champ kind of better.

Reply #516471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WP spends a fair bit of coin, word has it they are again this year. anyone know who they have?

Reply #516480 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Mornington need to develop a 5 year strategic plan and conduct an indepeandant review of there basketball operations.

Reply #516501 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

WP have spent money on at least 1 player, Manny; Ricky wanted to get paid but unsure if that came about. They have spent a minimum of $60000 on coach Kenny and Manny; I hear Manny is on about $35000 so you do the maths on what they are paying a Div 2 coach. They spent pretty much nothing onbthr women's program; only the coach.
A 5yr plan would be fantastic but it needs to be independent from the committee and in conjunction with DeMarcus (or whoever) is in tha position. At the moment there seems to be way too much undermining from senior players who may also be coaching junior breakers teams who don't like being made accountable; the way they do this is run off and bitch to committee members or post on here rather than man up and speak to those involved. This could be sorted if the committee would engage those they employed rather than tell them what's expected; stop micro-managing basketball matters and do what you do well; the business side. But as I said these people who keep running and crying to the committee are creating bigger issues, unfortunately every club has them.

Reply #516573 | Report this post

player  
Years ago

hey anonymous i guess with such an insight,,and wisdom thats why you post anonymously

Reply #516591 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I post anonymously cause I can't raise my issues with the person/s directly as they have chosen to remain anonymous themselves and to use this forum frequently to take potshots at DeMarcus or the Mornington senior program because they won't reveal themselves. If i have an issue with someone that effects me I raise it with the person directly; I've never run off to daddy or the committee to bitch about it or used a public forum to isolate an individual I have an issue with; if I knew who it was I would have no issues approaching them but unfortunately it has to remain here because the won't take their issues directly to the person. Suppose that's why I've never had issues with my team mates or coaches. Whoever the one is on here taking pot shots at DeMarcus or the senior program must either be gutless, in fear of losing their spot on the team, have a relative or friend on the comittee or know his peers don't respect him or his game; either way it doesn't create issues for me cause they always get found out and nothing hurts more than when your teammates turn on you so I'm told

Reply #516631 | Report this post

player  
Years ago

anonymous i hear you and agree, but you have been critical of Demarcus yourself in recent posts and the points you make are very valid

Reply #516665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately this anonomys isn't the one being critical of him, but you are correct there is one in here who is critical and has been critical of him on multiple posts but this is not my doing. If I had been critical I would have already raised those concerns with him or relevant people prior to posting it in here; let's hope that person grows some balls to approach him or anyone else they have issues with.

Reply #516691 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The question for Mornington is what is the best way forward for the club?They now have a stable committee for the first time in years.Its critical time in the future of this club.

Reply #516696 | Report this post

Rant  
Years ago

Agree the committee is stable (they need to stop trying to make basketball decisions re:rep and seniors, especially when some openly admit to not knowing basketball) whilst they have someone employed to do it, whether anyone agrees if he is the right or wrong person is irrelevant, the committee employed him, let him do what he sees fit. If that means falling on his own sword than so be it. A Bill Runchy style person would be perfect to run their basketball operations but I would like to see what DeMarcus could do unhindered (still having KPI's). Just wish the Sharks would stop circling before their is blood in the water.

Reply #516706 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Agree, with the Big V program they just dont have the cattle and it doesnt matter how good a coach you are.Committee should start planning now for 2016 as its too late for 2015.Another thing they should look at is an association of similar size that is performing well and organise a meeting to find out what there doing.Its not about reinventing the wheel, its about maximising what youve got.

Reply #516708 | Report this post

Nathan  
Years ago

Good call Happy Days, but Looking at the big picture they can attract players to other senior teams,
Why not the mens team... there were some talented players at tryouts why didnt they stay ??

Reply #516711 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Money, coach, travel can be lots of things these days.Always been hard to attract guys down here unless you offer decent cash.Do you go with one import or 3 or 4 Aussies for the same cost???Lots to consider.

Reply #516716 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

^Don't post as anonymous, use some name or nick name and then your posts will have less chance of being confused as just another random anon...

Reply #516739 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754