Nobody
Years ago

Brisbane NBL team backed by Bendat and Sengstock

Some real news on the Brisbane front. Too late IMO but it's now got a name, names and finance attached to the return. About time too.

AN NBL legend and one of Australia's richest families are set to bring the Brisbane Bullets back to life.

Basketball great Larry Sengstock and businessman Paul Bendat are two of the directors listed under the company name "Brisbane Bullets Basketball Pty Ltd" which was registered with ASIC on January 8 this year.

Bendat’s father, Jack, is the owner of the Perth Wildcats and was No.70 on the 2014 BRW Rich List with an estimated fortune of $675 million.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/more-sports/nbl-the-grand-plan-to-bring-the-brisbane-bullets-back-to-life/story-fnibbyyv-1227223342595

Topic #36515 | Report this topic

nix54  
Years ago

a certain manager resigned from Ipswich basketball operations position recently which may indicate a move to the Boom Boom Bullets.

Reply #516051 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Good to see Larry Sengstock is back.

Reply #516052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Big Joe manager at Ipswich?

Reply #516058 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Big Joe just moved there!!

Reply #516066 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Very good news indeed!

Reply #516067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Joe's transition from team manager / overweight sideshow to a lean, in-shape looking leader of a fledgling basketball team is quite awe inspiring.

Shows that hard work and discipline pays off. I wish him and the new club all the best.

Also, I know the name "Bullets" has history behind it and we don't have gun control issues in Australia, although the name is a little 80s for me. The Washington Professional Basketball team changed its name.

If there is a shooting in Brisbane there will be left wing calls for the club to change its name. It may have been better to start fresh with a new nickname and branding (like United have done this season).

Reply #516070 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think there will be "left wing calls" for the Bullets to change its name if there's a shooting

Brisbane should stay with the Bullets and United is a stupid name for a basketball team, even though the general direction is admirable.

Reply #516071 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I wonder if they are saving the announcement for the post game Grand Final presentations or NBL Awards night.

Great news they have independent financial backing, the NBL needs to focus on making sure the Crocs are in the NBL next season.

Reply #516075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there even an awards night this year? Nothing advertised yet

Reply #516077 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Article also mentioned they would initially be playing out of the Convention Centre with a long term eye towards moving to Pat Rafter arena. This is great news, if the new/old franchise wants to attract consistent fan support in its initial return they needed a centrally located arena with excellent public transport links.

Nice to finally see some optimism regarding this after a months of silence. One happy Brisbanite here:-)

Reply #516079 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

Don't get to excited yet.

There could be a reason:
"Interim NBL CEO Bret Mactavish declined interview requests from The Courier-Mail yesterday"

Reply #516091 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Possibly to wait until they can make an official announcement.

Reply #516092 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Can a person/s own more than one NBL team? If Bendat is involved, is it him or his father.

Reply #516095 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

This issue of a team name has come up before, such as the Red Skins in Washington. They will not change, rightly so as the name isn't racist unless you have really thin skin (pardon the pun). Over reactions and left wing extremism should stay away from sport.

Is anyone seriously thinking like this, I mean the Bombers would not change their name just because we still use aircraft to drop bombs, really?

Sporting team names could be better thought out, sure, but bullets are probably more about being fast and explosive, not about gun control IMHO...

If we start to over think or over react to every little possibility that someone could be embarrassed or hurt by a team name we will be changing half of them.

'All Blacks' anyone thinking of slavery here, thought not...

Reply #516099 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"This issue of a team name has come up before, such as the Red Skins in Washington. They will not change, rightly so as the name isn't racist unless you have really thin skin "

Ah, no.

Reply #516102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does Ah, no mean?

Reply #516105 | Report this post

shootingblanks  
Years ago

It's fantastic they're maintaining the Bullets name. Common sense almost never prevails, yet it seems it might in this instance. Wondrous stuff.

I hope they stick with the Convention Center. Fantastic venue in the heart of the city with unmatched transport options and multiple entertainment districts within walking distance. You just can't beat that. It's hard to imagine they could get more people at Tennyson.

Having said that, it's also encouraging to hear that if they do need to seriously look at Rafter arena due to logistics then it will be on the proviso that it becomes an enclosed venue. It would be doomed to failure otherwise.

Anyway this is thrilling news! Will be on tenterhooks until the official announcement.

Reply #516107 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

It means that statement is incorrect.

Reply #516108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why doesn't the NFL simply put pressure on Washington owner Daniel Synder to change the name?

Whether or not commissioner Roger Goodell can influence Snyder to change the team's name seems moot at the moment. That’s because Goodell continues to support Snyder on this issue. In June 2013, Goodell defended Snyder’s right to keep the name in a letter to 10 members of the U.S. Congress as the group had called on the NFL boss to intervene. And this is what Goodell had to say during his state of the league address two days before the Super Bowl in January: "This is the name of a football team ... [and it has been] presented in a way that honours Native Americans," he said, adding that a recent survey showed that nine of 10 Native Americans support the name.

Reply #516112 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

This isn't about the NFL's involvement but if it was, Goodell's testimony on something would be the last thing I'd use as support.

The point is, saying "something isn't racist unless you are thin-skinned" is wrong. If you don't understand the context of the term "redskins" don't dismiss peoples claim about it being offensive.

Reply #516115 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Hey there @Uwe Blab, thanks for going to the extreme on something that was just a throw away line. It wasn't meant to be that serious, the pun was a joke, but I get your point.

Cheers, Big Ears...

Reply #516118 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Going to an extreme? I said two words to you!

Reply #516120 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Indirectly, no matter, all good...

Reply #516121 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"extremism" is a bit of a stretch for people asking for consideration of another group's racial sensitivities. I also think it's helpful to reserve categorical judgement when you're speaking as a majority, though I'm not saying you are in this case, just that it's something I try to do.

Smartest to go with Bullets IMO and at least launch with some brand recognition.

Reply #516123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The All Blacks and the Red Skins have never folded and been off the scene for nearly 10 years. I'm not sure if that happened if they would come back with the same name.

There is some history there going back to the Leroy Loggins days, although their most recent history has potential salary cap rorts and Eddy Groves' stank all over it.

A "name the team" social media campaign may have been a good way to start fan engagement and generate some press. The Bullets could have been included in the options and probably would have got the nod.

Anyway, weren't the Townsville Suns forced to change their name because of Phoenix? Could Washington try the same thing if they still own the rights to the Bullets name?

Reply #516122 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

The venue thing I find is interesting. There still is a push to play out of larger venues. Does a 4000 seat venue meet that standard?
Townville would / should be worried right now.

Reply #516124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear, join the Uwe party!

Reply #516147 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Yep, a guy makes a statement that there is nothing wrong with a pretty offensive term, I say two words to him - literally, two words - then he backs out with "oh but I was joking" and this is all my fault. Of course!

Reply #516150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No he didn't, you expressed distain at the reference made about skin colour and he made a pun, using thin skin as a joke. Do you know what 'pardon the pun' means? It means, please pardon my attempt at humour, but you took it all too literally Awe Dude! So, take a chill pill man and lighten up, if you can that is? The posts above actually prove you are wrong about the name Red Skins and the NFL and your opinion about people with thin skin is just that, your opinion. That does't make you right either dude!

Reply #516154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brings down as many threads as possible!

Reply #516159 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"Do you know what 'pardon the pun' means? It means, please pardon my attempt at humour,"

So writing "pardon the pun" surrounded by five paragraphs of comments on the serious side means the whole lot is one big joke? Sure thing.

"The posts above actually prove you are wrong about the name Red Skins and the NFL "

What? Nothing that has been said has proved me wrong, and I wasn't even talking about the NFL. If you're call to try and call me out on anything I've said, don't talk complete shit.

Reply #516164 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

*you're going

Reply #516165 | Report this post

Can we get back on topic? seriously? why are you guys fighting

Reply #516169 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Have we suddenly got an influx from Ozhoops in here?

This is great news for the Brisbane Bullets and basketball in general.

Reply #516172 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I only know the usual public stuff about Sengstock, but he seems to have the right credentials to run the organisation.

I'm not sure why Bendat wants to get involved, I thought he lived in Victoria? But so what, he's a smart guy and has money, what else do you want in a backer? Or would you prefer some shyster like Johnston? Or someone like Cowan who'll spit the dummy and take his ball and go home?

The point in reusing the "Bullets" name is to lay claim to the rich heritage that the team had. A foundation team, 3 championships, 21 finals appearances.

There is no comparison between a name like "Red Skins" or "Indians" and a name like "Bullets" or "Bombers". I can understand that their are somewhat violent connotations to the latter, but that's nothing compared to the overt racism of the former.

Reply #516173 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

I thought Redskins were a sweet? Are they banned as well? ;)

Reply #516174 | Report this post

shootingblanks  
Years ago

Any chance you guys can focus on the basketball and not yourselves? I realise you're far more interesting and all, and your desecration of this thread enriches us all on multitude of levels .

I feel like I should be thanking you, and it pains me to suggest that you really are going off-topic here.

But how about starting a new thread for it ey? Perhaps call it "My ego and I: How I was slighted on the internet." I'm sure it will be an engaging read.

Reply #516175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Uwe shut up! No one cares, your just like spam, have to sift through to the thread posts.

Great news if Brisbane are A back and B supported by deep pockets. The league needs to grow, but at the right speed, Brisbane is a great addition. Wont struggle to find players keen to play there, wonder who there marquee player would be!

Reply #516176 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

So where will the players come from seeing the next season starts in Oct? and most players are still under contract?

Reply #516177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Have we suddenly got an influx from Ozhoops in here? "

For a little while there It definitely had an Ozhoops thread feel to it. Please don't bring that here. Just hope Ozhoops keeps plodding along slowly to avoid those idiots coming here!

Reply #516178 | Report this post

what do u guys mean by an 'influx from ozhoops' sorry I'm new to these threads

Reply #516181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Uwe is a known troll, reading his posts it's the same style as other nicknames used here in the past. No doubt changing of nicks is due to Isaac banning the older ones.

Had to be Bullets and is! Good news!

Reply #516182 | Report this post

ok thanks, I'll know when I see him

Reply #516183 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

No, never been banned. Nice try though.

If you want to get this thread back on track, stop singling me out over a minor conversation. And trolling isn't disagreeing with someone on the internet. Taking pot-shots anonymously is.

Reply #516191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because there is nothing anonymous about the name 'Uwe Blab' haha Man its the same digression overtime you type. Very antagonistic and maybe you need to change your approach, no one else is being singled out... think about.

Reply #516195 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Great to have Senstock back involved in Brisbane Hoops... a championship winning player from the glory days who has achieved as a sports administrator.

Will agree about Big Joe as well... his transformation is inspiring.

Reply #516196 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Watch out for Gibson to be the first official player signing.....

Reply #516197 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I wonder if the NBL will allow Brisbane any concessions in their first years ie 3 imports.

Reply #516198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Brisbane once again be considered a part of Europe for contract out-clauses?

Reply #516199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Train - Brisbane will have 2 imports, potentially naturalised players like Gruber, pacific island/american players, potentially Townsville players they fold or mutually agree to release some of their high paid players, SEABL and other existing NBL free agents looking for a change.

Reply #516201 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Great news for the NBL, I hope this turns into a successful pathway for other teams to rejoin e.g Newcastle, Canberra etc

Reply #516203 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Brisbane will pick players already under contract. Watch this space.

Reply #516208 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

The players will still have to agree to playing for them, surely?

Reply #516209 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

So the currently contracted players will play for the Bullets? How the hell can that happen, which is my point.

Reply #516220 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

If there is a mutual agreement between club and player for the player to be released?

Reply #516222 | Report this post

LeCan  
Years ago

Ive been in canberra for the past six years and trust me, there is no way a team would survive in the NBL. The community here don't support the game at any level to a degree that would satisfy the powers that be at the NBL. Really excited for brisbane though...and hopefully a second team in either nz or even a team in tassie - they love the game down south. Newcastle would be good too but i dont think thats overly realistic at present.

Reply #516223 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

There will always be players moving, players returning from Europe, younger guys coming home from College. I don't know if they'll be given any concessions. I tend to doubt it, as that would upset struggling teams like Townsville & Wollongong.

Reply #516227 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Maybe the can follow another team and track down 3 Yanks playing in Vanuatu perhaps?

Reply #516263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team you would think will be backed by Bendat (senior). Not Bendat Jr. or Sengstock who is just a director, an ex-player, salarymen type. These people do not back sporting teams monetarily but like to draw a wage from the positions the sport provides.

Does anyone know anything about Paul Bendat's business acumen? All I can find on him is his obsession with poker machines and outlawing them. Weird. and no by business acumen I don't mean daddy's money.

Reply #516344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Great question.

All I could find was his obsession with pokie machines too.

What business/s does he own/run ?

Reply #516374 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

He's a former lawyer and he managed properties and radio stations with his dad, which is how his dad made his money.

Reply #516380 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Does it matter?
I'm sure Paul has been helped by his Dad over the years, and obviously they share an interest in Basketball. By all accounts Paul does have his "own" money, but would it make any difference if the funds were advanced by his Dad?

Reply #516381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Baskin Robbins might be major sponsor LOL

Reply #516383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry Sengstock is the new Bob Turner.

Reply #516384 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Dazz, it doesn't really matter, no. It just seems that these anons above think there are a plethora of wealthy businessmen out there willing to throw their hat in to the ring, so they must think the guys running show are B grade.

Reply #516393 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

When do you guys think the announcement will be?

Reply #516397 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's weird, all the haters do is bitch about how Perth is only successful because of Bendat, but when the same family wants to help Brisbane they still keep bitching.

Reply #516398 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:52 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754