Adam The Kings Fan
Years ago

How Come There Was No All Star Game This Season?

With the NBA all star game ending I was wondering how come the NBL didn't have an all star game/weekend of their own. I mean we definitely had the players for an all star game a dunk contest and even a 3pt contest. Imagine if Kendrick Perry, Jahii Carson, Jordan Mcrae and Torrey Craig all fought in the dunk contest. It would be amazing. Also what about having Chill in an all star game and throwing down the nasty dunks that he does in normal games, except doing it 5 times in one game? The three point contest would be great with Daniel Kickert, David Barlow, Ben Madgen etc. It would also draw the crowds, and they shortened the season to 20 rounds so timing wouldn't be a problem. So Why!?!?

Sorry for repost again, I'm new and didn't know about tags

Topic #36520 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

There was no All-Star game last year also. There was a hoops thread a while back discussing some of the reasons why but i think the gist of it was that not financially viable.

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/33314-nbl-all-star-game/

Reply #516144 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Would of loved to see one last year especially with the likes of Chris Goulding, James Ennins and Rotnei Clarke killing it

Reply #516145 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A lot of effort for little return was probably the view. Have to pay for venue and to fly in 30 people. They're often under-spectated because no one has an especially strong allegiance.

They had a dunk comp in the pre-season Blitz from memory. People have talked about doing standardised testing at the Blitz too - sprints, standing reach, wingspan, height, weight, vertical leap and so on. That would create a bit of buzz and give them official stats.

With everyone in one place such as at the Blitz, a rookies game could be good too. And/or an exhibition game using tweaked rules.

Last ASG I can remember (Johnny Flynn-era) was alright. We'd need a different format for a dunk competition IMO as our athletes are generally more self-conscious or have more modest abilities. And the last three-point comp fizzed, including Stephen Weigh hitting the boom camera on one shot and not getting a new crack - bush league!

The NBA even struggles in some respects. The HORSE comp this year was supposedly a dud and then the ASG itself included 133 three-pointers which isn't ideal.

Reply #516146 | Report this post

@Isaac I was pretty sure it was Peter Crawford who hit the camera from my memory, and I thought it was during the final round, where he lost by 1 point, which made it even more controversial. Kinda hard to give him a chance to retake the shot without starting the final round from scratch.

I went to the last ASG in 2012, it was pretty decent experience. Having the Dunk Contest and 3pt Shootout before the game was a bonus, plus Celebrity game at halftime, gave a lot of content. South won, Johnson and Gibbo played, with Cadee and Weigh (3pt Shootout Winner) playing as injury reserves.

If they were to do it again it would have to be in a highly competitive season like this one, with a couple of Ennis or Childress type players. And I'd think it have to be in Perth, maybe Sydney to be worth it. From memory, Adelaide ASG crowd was like 6000 ish (probably completely wrong) so good crowd, but we've had around 10 Sixers games with higher attendance in the last 2 seasons since.

Reply #516151 | Report this post

I guess effort is the problem with the NBL in general, if they put more effort (Like social media) the league would be better. Also if they held it in Perth, Sydney or Melbourne I think they could draw big enough crowds to make at least some what financially viable

Reply #516156 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

they shortened the season to 20 rounds so timing wouldn't be a problem.

The whole point of shortening the season was to shorten the season, it didn't happen by accident. Having an All-Star game means the season gets longer.

Reply #516160 | Report this post

koberulz 'The whole point of shortening the season was to shorten the season, it didn't happen by accident. Having an All-Star game means the season gets longer.'
I know that but I am saying that adding on an extra week to the season wouldn't change much or make the season to much longer as they've shortened the season

Reply #516166 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Isaac, I like that idea of an All Star style game at the Blitz. Like you mentioned, the teams are all together anyway and it could be a big draw card to increase attendance and publicity over the Blitz weekend.

Reply #516167 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Adelaide crowd was around 4500 from memory.

Reply #516168 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think BA got a good deal on Adelaide Arena at Christmas time, but there's different people running the nbl now, and they have a break at christmas instead

Reply #516171 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I know that but I am saying that adding on an extra week to the season wouldn't change much or make the season to much longer as they've shortened the season

But adding another week to the season defeats the purpose of removing that week in the first place. The shortened season was to get away from football (IIRC), not to create room for an All-Star game.

have a break at christmas instead
There was no break at Christmas.

Reply #516188 | Report this post

4500 sounds about right. My memory was blurred by the overall low attendance that season compared to the last 2, so 4500 crowd might be comparative to a 6000 crowd this season.

Reply #516193 | Report this post

Koberulz, but what I am saying is that they have already taken 4 weeks away this season, so adding one extra week would not disrupt the schedule that much and we would still avoid football. I don't think I can explain it properly, but I hope you get the gist

Reply #516207 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Was Clint Steindl in the last all star game? That probably killed the excitement for a few NBL fans.

Reply #516210 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

I would prefer instead of an all star game to see a couple state of origin games where players who grew up in the same state could all play together

Reply #516212 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Koberulz, but what I am saying is that they have already taken 4 weeks away this season, so adding one extra week would not disrupt the schedule that much and we would still avoid football.

They removed three weeks, and you want to add one back in, resulting in a reduction of a mere two weeks.

Reply #516218 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Way too expensive, little interest and no TV coverage. Simple.

Reply #516221 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I guess effort is the problem with the NBL in general, if they put more effort (Like social media) the league would be better. Also if they held it in Perth, Sydney or Melbourne I think they could draw big enough crowds to make at least some what financially viable.
If you hold it in Perth, it doesn't guarantee that all the Wildcats fans would show up. It's less interesting for all of them in general than their own team vs an enemy.

And I don't think their ASG decision is about effort but focus or budget. I think they'd get more value dedicating that time to improving the league and its marketing. Especially if it's something that probably only breaks even for the league.

Whatever they make is:
less venue hire/etc
less cut for host club
less A/V staff
less flights for 20+ players, coaches and league staff
less accommodation and per diem for each
less refs, stats, etc
less staff time spent dedicated to organising everything

Reply #516224 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

IF they do have an NBL All Star game next year, as much as it might cost more, why not have it at Vector Arena in Auckland?

Yes I know there is a case for Perth, but as Isaac said there is no guarantee that they'll get a Wildcats size crowd at near 14,000. Though I would imagine they could get at least 10k.

Adelaide hosted the last one so I would count it out as a potential host. And I reckon we got it here not only because of the support the 36ers continued to get despite being anchored to the bottom at the time, but because the Adelaide Arena is a venue where the NBL wouldn't have actually had to pay a hiring fee, unlike say Perth Arena, Sydney Ent Cent or Hisense.

Townsville RSL Stadium is simply too small. But the old Swamp would have been ok.

Sydney, Melbourne, Wollongong or Cairns would be ok.

But honestly, after 3 championships and some very good home crowds, I reckon they could get a crowd of around 7-8k at Vector for the game. Plus having it in Auckland would be good publicity for the NBL in NZ.

Cost is probably the big factor for the NBL though, as would television.

Reply #516228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not enough stars perhaps.

Reply #516241 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

If you want the NBL Aussie players to be enthusiastic, try a State of Origin weekend.
EVERY player (30+ of them)who were questioned about it was enthusiastic, 2 seasons ago. There was a survey conducted about other issues and those questions were added at the end. Lots of small problems to overcome but at least the main elements are positive. Most of those players are away from home, would love to represent their State again. Why is it continually overlooked? Some State Govt funding would be a possibility, more than the All Star game.

Reply #516274 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:06 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754