Dr6
Years ago

Basketball SA engage consultant to advise on Lightning future

Great to see some communication about this.

http://www.basketballsa.com.au/index.php?id=62&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1036&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=d4f751cef4

Hopefully the corporate sector get onboard.

Topic #36526 | Report this topic

Annon  
Years ago

Great to see Basketball SA doing what it does best, write strategic reports.

I have read for many years the strategies of
New pathways to basketball
Association models
Stadium improvements

To date, all have been paper based and never worked out to be another but that

Basketball SA needs to focus on setting the agenda and then walking away

For players like Newley, Thompson , Flanagan, Madgen ,Romeo and more all play juniors at our state but go elsewhere to play WNBL underpins the problem

If we thinka corporate on a white horse in shinny armour is coming, look out.....

Another strategic report is coming.

In the BSA AGM papers delivered recently, their number one focus is to improve stadiums for juniors to play in and all with the same line markings on court, so they understand the rules of the game each and every week.

I truly hope the lighting survive in some form.

Reply #516237 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

so your plans to save the Lightning without corporate support are?

Reply #516242 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Uni model

Reply #516244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Annon is sadly right. Didn't a consultant recommend our current laughable structure as well?

What would be a better use of money - a consultant to tell us what everyone already knows (the WNBL team is not financially feasable for an association) or air-conditioning in some of our stadiums?

Reply #516245 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more.

Consultant also said BSA should get clubs to run their own facilities and go association model...but...don't let your competitors take away the stadiums. So they decided to take the one last bit cause it suited their own agrenda.

This is all grand standing so that they can say that there was no corporate support!

This stuff should have been happening 6 months ago when BSA knew that Vince was handing back the license behind closed doors.

Reply #516249 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

before vince marino, budget was $30,000, now $500,000

Reply #516252 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Years ago

No Camel. You are wrong.

When BASA went broke, they have major government support and lost $100k plus per year.

Under Vince they lost support cause government doesn't support private enterprise.

Reply #516255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Private ownership and extreme investment has pushed player prices well above sustainable levels... take Dandenong for example. While it may be ok for them to pay those prices for great players etc. it then pushes the rest of the leagues salaries up beyond sustainable levels for most clubs.

I strongly think BA/ WNBL should consider a salary cap with a marquee player option.

Reply #516257 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

fact - there will be haves and have nots. Commonsense says stay on track financially.
maybe people should get it back to just a passion for basketball / sport - not just player payments but I think you will find overheads in general going up making it tougher.

Reply #516287 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

shorten the season is the first thing I think of to save on overheads.

Reply #516288 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Under Vince they lost support cause government doesn't support private enterprise.
Government is less likely to support private enterprise and less likely again to support inefficient or disorganised private enterprise. Maybe that had that impression here.

Reply #516312 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

On a slightly different but related tack - if corporate support is needed, as it probably is, I wonder if the timing of the current 'transition' might not be a little fortuitous.

If I was involved on the $$ side I'd be developing a well-thought-out pitch - quickly - and making a good, focused, 'pitch' to each sponsor of greyhound racing.

Reply #516492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Camel 31, Uni model is the obvious structure required.

Reply #516524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it the obvious? How are other uni controlled teams working in WNBL - are they cost neutral?

Reply #516527 | Report this post

Shellby Rightmate  
Years ago

36ers have genuine interest

Reply #516568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how much does it cost to own the Lightning per year?

Reply #516698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lightning have been losing $500k per year.

But without paying player it would be around $200k.

Reply #516701 | Report this post

manos  
Years ago

you can only only have what you can afford. scale the season back to reduce costs and if it means running athletes that will play for the singlet and the sport - so be it. Nobody expects anyone to run at a loss so some common ground needs to be found to survive.

Reply #516705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But some clubs can afford $400k player wages, while others can only afford $0 player wages.

Reply #516717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#516527 - If the university has the facility, no court fees. Also, young players can study and play bball on a scholarship. They will play for less if they are being helped in getting a degree. Sets them up for life after ball.

Reply #517012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only shortening of the season should be by 1 game to bring equality to this nonsense of teams all playing each other 3 times and 1 team playing a team 4 times.

The unfairness Mark Quinn put out with his fixturing of the 4th teams makes logic hard to understand.

Bendigo the league 2 time past winners got Melbourne for their 4th game. On what basis was this drawn? Melbourne finished 4th last season? You would think 1 v 2 would get a 4th game or 3 v 4 a forth game but 1 v 4 that makes zero sense.

So either make it a 21 game season or a 28 game season. It cant be shortened to much less. Remember we are loosing TV rights you need to bring commercial return to your sponsors somehow and I cant see the players taking a massive pay cut to substantiate the difference.

Reply #517017 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:11 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754