Anonymous
Years ago

Returning College players to the NBL ?

Just wondering who will be returning to the NBL next season ?

It looks like:

Dan Trist (Sydney born)
Jeromie Hill (QLD born)
Hugh Greenwood (Tassie born)

Appear to be the standouts, putting up great numbers in their Senior year in College.

Anyone else returning to the NBL for next season who is playing really well ?

Topic #36535 | Report this topic

Rav  
Years ago

Sam Rowley might be an option - Avg 14pts & 7.5rbs a game for Albany

Reply #516442 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

If the bullets come back, I'd expect them to go hard after Mitch mccarron who is playing very well in d2

Reply #516444 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Ok so not sure who has red shirted this seasons but here is the list of D1 Seniors:

Jackson ALDRIDGE NSW Sr 6'0" G Butler Big East
Anthony DRMIC VIC Sr 6’6” G/F Boise State Mountain West
Hugh GREENWOOD TAS Sr 6’3” G New Mexico Mountain West
Igor HADZIOMEROVIC VIC Sr 6’4” G Boise State Mountain West
Jeromie HILL QLD Sr 6’8” F Texas-San Antonio Conference USA
James HUNTER NSW Sr 6’10” C South Dakota Summit
Dexter KERNICH-DREW VIC Sr 6’7” G Washington State Pac-12
Sam ROWLEY NSW Sr 6’6” F Albany America East
Chudier PAL WA Sr 6’9” C UNC-Asheville Big South
Daniel TRIST NSW Sr 6’9” F Lafayette Patriot League
Ben WILSON QLD Sr 6’5” G Idaho State Big Sky
Corban WROE QLD Sr 6’2” G Hartford America East

Drimic probably off to Europe
Hugh, Jeromie could and should be starters in the NBL. Although could see Hugh going to Europe also.
Aldridge, Igor could be starters in the NBL except for the talent already in his position via Imports and Young PGs. Would they be better than Norton, Tominlinson?
The rest a mix of Backups, Development Players and SEABL Starters

Reply #516467 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Apologies but should have credited list from Pick and Roll website.

Reply #516468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think I remember reading/hearing that Greenwood wasn't too keen on playing in the NBL, suggesting it was beneath him, which is unfortunate as I think the NBL might be his ceiling. That's not to say I think he's a bad player; he could carve out a great career here just as a player like Damian Martin has.

Reply #516472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Brock Motum thought the NBL was beneath him too but look at what it's done for his game and confidence.

Reply #516493 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

First of all, Drmic is a medical red-shirt this season and is headed back for a 5th year of college similar to Jeromie Hill's situation.

Trist, Hill, Greenwood and Sam Rowley are they pick of the crop and are all different players.

Hadziomerovic and Corban Wroe are also very good prospects at NBL level.

They would be my top 6 prospects set to graduate this season.

Hill is a QLDer and if a chance came up I would expect to see him with a QLD club.

Greenwood is good enough IMO to be a good player in Europe if he was given a chance. Whether that eventuates only time will tell.

Trist would have really started to gain some attention overseas too as he has been a genuine, consistent scoring threat in the post. Sam Rowley is an undersized PF that does a bit of everything and I can definitely see him with an NBL team next season.

Reply #516494 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mitch McCarron and Nick Kay, both of whom are with Metro State (D2) are definitely also NBL material.

Reply #516506 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I don't think Greenwood has played so very well in College to justify being above NBL level. For someone who everyone was raving about before his college career, he has certainly turned into a pretty ordinary player.

Reply #516509 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

GWB, I think you underestimate the impact of Hugh Greenwood on his team in a pretty good conference.

He is the glue at UNM and does anything and everything his team needs at that time. He was a very good scorer when he joined, then was required to take a back seat for 3 years behind some other exceptional NBA quality players.

He is an outstanding rebounder for his position and size, is very good at running a team and protecting the ball, provides outstanding on and off court leadership, and can pick up the scoring when needed.

This season he has struggled with his role changing, but has had some exceptional games too.

I'm not saying he is above NBL standard, rather I think he is a player capable of playing above the NBL.

Reply #516510 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Aldridge is a local Sydney boy and I liked the look of him a couple of pre-seasons ago when Butler was touring down here, but this last season he really seems to have dropped off, with hardly any minutes at all... What I saw of him I liked, a really good head on his shoulders, but no way he's a starter quality player, especially averaging such little court time... He'd be a step behind some of our top quality local young guys, but I think possibly more reliable with more court time than maybe Corey Maynard...

Would be good to see some of the Sydney boys come back to the Kings, but it just seems the positions that they would fill are already taken up... We need a starting quality PG and I'm not against someone like Markovic coming home, unless we can get another mate of JChill's into that spot... Aldridge could fit as the fourth guard in the rotation and ease him in, however the Kings are pretty full in the 4/5 entry level positions, and that's with me cutting Duinker as he's worse than tits on a bull... I'd rather give Cody more of a chance over either of them, but only because I'm not familiar with them and have really enjoyed watching Cody's growth and hustle this season...

Reply #516516 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting reading that list. It goes to prove that each year we get a number of NBL potential guys with an option to return. If the NBL can't fit them, it shows the competition here isn't big enough.

Whether our best kids go to college or stay and develop under the NBL banner should not hinder any of them if they are good enough.

Now, lets bring on the Bullets, Dragons, Kiwis and Tasmanian Tigers so we can create a pathway for all of these players and the next generation too...

Reply #516520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If the NBL can't fit them, it shows the competition here isn't big enough."

Classic case against the oft-used argument that the talent pool will become too stretched/diluted with more teams is Tom Jervis. People questioned his ability to make the step up. Now most teams would take him if he was available.

Reply #516534 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Tom Jervis is definitely one of the better big men in the league. He would start on any team that isn't Perth or Adelaide.

Reply #516795 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Dan Trist looks like a very solid Power Forward. Good strong post moves. He will do well in the NBL I think. Provided he can keep up with the slightly quicker game. Looks like he has a lot of ways to hurt you on the block. I will be watching that name with interest.

Jeromie Hill looks like he would have good athleticism for the NBL. Quick, can get up in a hurry. I haven't seen a lot. But from what I have seen, he looks a bit like a young David Barlow - but not so sure about the consistency of his inside shot. He should be able to make some sort of career in the NBL, his shooting will determine what kind of role that is.

I have already said what I think about Hugh Greenwood. A good player, but I think he thinks he's above NBL, where I am not so sure.

Mitch Mccarron is probably NBL level. But I do expect it to be a bit step up. He is crafty with the ball and has a scorers mentality. A team could do worse than have him somewhere deep on the bench.

I have been underwhelmed with everything I have seen of Hadziomerovic. I expect he would find a gig in the NBL, but I wouldn't be expecting fireworks from him. If he has such potential, I believe it will take a few more years to see it.

Reply #516803 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Her is better than Pledger & Ibekwe, please.......

Reply #516830 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

McCarron and Nick Kay are at the same D2 school that launched Mark Worthington, David Barlow, Jesse Wagstaff and Luke Kendall. All of these guys became legit NBL players or Boomers squad members at the least.

Another like Ben Madgen went to Augusta State who are a top-level D2 school and he has done well in the NBL too.

What I'm saying is that don't write of D2 level players. Many are better than some players in D1.

Reply #516834 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I would like to think that our NBL coaches are well and truly scouting these guys out in their senior years, no matter if they went to D1 or D2 colleges...

Reply #517043 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I don't think anyone would discount them, I think it's just harder to track which kids are actually AT D2 schools... Much more resources for the D1 schools with who is where compared to the even larger amount of D2 schools to look through...

Madge and Hire were teammates at Augusta State, weren't they?

Gliddon's school was also a D2 school? He's done much better than his rookie classmate Steindl who came from a D1 school...

D1 is no guarantee of ability *cough*Ben Allen*cough*

Reply #517178 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Fairly sure gliddons school was NAIA div1 national champion in his senior year

Reply #517289 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah - Gliddon did whilst playing for Concordia U.

Reply #517292 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:52 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754