Train
Years ago

NBL Awards

I think the MVP voting should be really close this year. Before Childress got injured he would of been the clear favourite but with him missing a big chunk of games it opens it wide up.

Candidates : Conklin, McCrae, Wilson, Childress, Jackson

I think Conklin may win, he's been the most consistent performer and isn't overly surrounded by other star players.

Most Improved Player : Webster by a mile.

Defensive Player of the Year : Close one but I think Martin will win marginally over Jackson and Gladness

Rookie of the year : Tough one, hasn't really been too many standouts. Does Motum or Tai Wesley count as a rookie ? If not I'd have to go with Brandt

Coach of the Year: Joey deserves this but I think it will go to Fearne

6th Man : Traghard to edge out his team mate Craig

Whats everyone else's pick ?

Topic #36545 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does Joey deserve coach of the year?? His team had a 7 game losing streak during the season... Fearne deserves it and will get it.

Reply #516742 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Taking your team from the brink off missing the playoffs and then going on a 9+ streak certainly deserves a mention. Like I said I still think Fearne will get it.

Reply #516747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Ibekwe should get 6th Man consideration. Pledger started ahead of him (albeit playing less minutes) for most of the season, so he should be eligible.

Reply #516749 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Good call . I totally forgot about him.

Reply #516753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't remember the last time the best player for the season won the mvp. Ennis was a certainty last year followed by goulding but somehow Clarke won it. So judging by that I will say someone like wilbekin

Reply #516754 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

MVP Going with Childress or Jackson
Rookie: Am confused as to who exactly qualifies but if eligible I would say Wesley otherwise Angus Brandt.
Defensive Player: Still think Martin but not by a landslide with Gladness rating highly.
Coach: Wright and Fearne the obvious candidates but wouldn't rule out Vickerman.
6th Man: Ibekwe followed by Tragardh.

Reply #516755 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

For anyone interested in my awards, plus 1st and 2nd Teams, they're here:

http://www.fiba.com/news/the-best-of-the-best-mvp-time

1st Team: Motum, Conklin, Childress, Wilson, Jackson
2nd Team: Ibekwe, Worthington, Blanchfield, McRae, Wilbekin

Reply #516757 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Clarke was amazing last year, every bit as good as Ennis and Goulding but any of the three would have been deserving.

The year before Jackson was clearly the best player and he won it. The year before Lisch was certainly right up there. Was it Penney the year before that?

Reply #516759 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

My 2 cents worth.....

MVP: Chilldress / Wilson / Jackson

Rookie: Motum

Defensive Player: D Martin/ Gladness

Coach: Aaron Fearne

6th Man: Ibekwe

Most Improved: Mitch Creek

I've gone for Creek because in previous seasons he has been either a bench player or spot starter for Adelaide. This year he's cemented his place as the 36ers starting SF and is putting up career best numbers of 10.7 pts, 4.1 rebs and 1.5 assists per game. He's also on track to put in career best minutes.

Hey, I figure I have to have at least one right.

Reply #516780 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Most improved is a two horse race imo between Webster and blanchfield.
Webster 15.4 pt 2rb 1.6 as
Blanchfield 14.6 pt 5 rb 1.6 as

Webster has been a consistently better outside shooter but is a scoring guard like madgen that doesn't bring a lot else when he isn't scoring.

Blanchfield has been much better this year at getting to the hoop and has been rebounding very well

Reply #516784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gladness is the definition of defense so hope he wins that. Gladness fort MVP and the other awards are pointless.

Reply #516786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

COY is voted by other coaches... Fearne won't win it cause no one likes him

Reply #516789 | Report this post

My list
MVP: Jackson, Childress, Motum or maybe Conklin

MIP, Garlepp has been the most improved in my opinion but if not him either webster or creek, or shaun bruce. He's been pretty good to

Rookie: Unless Motum or Wesley don't count as rookies, then I'd say Brandt.

Defensive Player: Gladness first, then Martin, Then Ebekwe, Then Childress and I think Perry is a very under rated defender.

Coach Of The Year: Fearne or Vickerman, I don't know about Wright because while he is in the conversation his team did go on a 7 game losing streak.

1st Team Would be
Guard: Jackson Guard; Mcrae Forward: Childress Forward: Conklin Center Motum

2nd Team
Guard: Wilbekin Guard: Wilson Forward: Blanchfield Forward: Worthington Center: Tragdarh (If he counts

Reply #516796 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

What's the definition of a "Rookie"?
I personally feel it should mean somebody who has not played professionally before their 1st season in the NBL. Otherwise it would be Childress! LOL
If you exclude imports, then Motum, but even that seems a little silly.

Also, what is the criteria/voting for "6th man"? Must they actually be 1st off the bench, or simply start on the bench?
I think Tragardh.

MVP is hard to pick, remembering that it IS MVP, not simply "best player." I personally think Jackson is the best, but Conklin a good chance for MVP.

Reply #516801 | Report this post

sixers147  
Years ago

MVP: Wilson

Rookie: Motum

Defensive Player: Gladness please not Martin

Coach: Joey Wright for turning around adelaides season

Most Improved: Mitch Creek

Reply #516810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum played in Europe prior to the nbl so he is not eligible for rookie of the year

Reply #516823 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Wilson won't win mvp.

Reply #516824 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

MVP: Childress or Mr Triple Double Ced Jackson
MIP: C.Webster
ROTY: Tai Wesley
COTY: Fearne or Vickerman
DPOTY: D.Martin

Title: Breakers

Reply #516829 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Nice one mystro, but I think ibekwe should get dpoy. Thats better, breakers players win every award.

Not that I'm saying your wrong, can make a solid argument for all of your picks.

Reply #516838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield has improved his averages for points, rebounds and assists in every single season he's been in the NBL - that is pretty impressive!

Reply #516840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tai Wesley also played in Europe prior to the nbl so he is not eligible for rookie of the year either

Reply #516844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MVP: Jackson
Coach: Fearne
Defensive: Martian or Gladness
Rookie: Tai
Most improved: Corey Webster

Reply #516913 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Motum played in Europe prior to the nbl so he is not eligible for rookie of the year
"Rookie" is defined as any local player playing their first NBL season. That's how Patty Mills was eligible despite having played in the NBA.

If it's changed, nothing's been said.

Reply #517041 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Really unsure about MVP, if Childress had played on then surely would have got it but for now... there's a few possibilities. Wilbekin or Jackson are my best bets.

Reply #517116 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Alex Loughton and Luke Nevill were ineligible for that reason, weren't they?

Reply #517119 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

koberulz: I could be wrong here but I didn't think that Patty had played in NBA prior to playing with the Tigers

Reply #517122 | Report this post

Green 76  
Years ago

MVP: Childress - Jackson or Conklin will get it based on the voting system
Most Improved: Blanchfield - Webster, Creek & Norton are the other candiates.
Coach: Fearne
Defensive: Martin - Gladness or Ibekwe could get it though.
Sixth: Tragardh - Ibekwe, Craig & Markovic could get it.
Rookie: Brandt

First Team
Jackson
Childress
Conklin
Motum
Wilson or Wilbekin

Second Team
Wilson or Wilbekin
McRae
Blanchfield
Ibekwe
Knight

Reply #517127 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mills had played in the NBA, but wasn't aware he was eligible for ROY. Like I said, Loughton and Nevill weren't because they'd played OS.

Reply #517142 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

2012 NBL Awards nominations, including Mills for RotY: http://www.36reasons.net/2012/03/2011-2012-award-nominations.html

(Is it possible to do hyperlinks on here? I get an error every time I try.)

Reply #517153 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Does anyone know whats happening with the official NBL Awards night ? Is it even happening ? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on it this year.

Reply #517831 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

koberulz, it is possible, but it's blocked for some IP classes to prevent spam.

Reply #517846 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:05 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754