Jack Toft
Years ago

R20: Melbourne v Sydney

The return leg of the "Fat Rat Clacker's Cup" (sorry Sam Newman)

Sydney are trying their hardest at the moment, but injuries have reduced them to a team even the Eastern Mavs could beat.

Melbourne should prevail in this messy affair

Topic #36554 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

hope nobody with asthma is at the game
Well done on getting a full house though

Reply #516872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are talking full house of 10,000!
I was there a few weeks ago and one of the ushers said about 7500 only.
So who's right?

Reply #516890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings are trting to match United with transition basketball to half time. They won't win that way. Walker the only one playing defense for United but now in foul trouble. United should run over the top.

Reply #516900 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

it was over 10,000 because yet opened up some more general admission that is ussually curtained off. def over 10000 there today ! that smoke pre game tho was so bad aggaah

Reply #516911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So maybe they should tell whomever that its a 10,000 seat stadium? Where does this magical curtained off area? As I said we were there a short time ago and saw no curtained off areas at all.

Reply #516918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was 10,000. They often have the top sections covered by curtains but not always. Biggest crowd I can remember for years. Great game Wortho!!

Reply #516936 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

the curtains like it ussually is http://twitter.com/josh_nuggets35/status/569391959665541122/photo/1

how it was today
http://twitter.com/josh_nuggets35/status/569391968645550080/photo/1

Reply #516938 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Amazing crowd really, no matter how they got them there, it matches quite a number of previous NRL crowds so I think it's a big effort.

Reply #517044 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Melbourne paid tribute to their foundation members by wearing a jersey that each of these members names written on it.

"To have that many people show up, I think it say a lot about what our club is doing" said Coach McDonald about the occasion.

United triumph over Sydney as they honour foundation members

Reply #517048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, let's clear this up...

A team that is playing for pride (that's all) gets 10,000 to their last home game of the season against another team whose season is shot.

They haven't had a crowd that big all season.

How many freebies did they give away? I bet it looked good on TV. I bet it looked good for the Channel 10 executives who are dumping the NBL or even any other execs who might be interested in buying the NBL TV rights.

Reply #517051 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A lot of them would have been local association members cashing in the freebies they hadn't used during the season. Still, better that way than to have 5000 people at the game.

Reply #517052 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"So maybe they should tell whomever that its a 10,000 seat stadium? Where does this magical curtained off area? As I said we were there a short time ago and saw no curtained off areas at all."

I suspect anon was at Margaret Court Arena whereas this game was at Hisense.

Reply #517053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's it thanks Paul. Margaret Court arena was awesome.

Reply #517065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand how United got over 10k can someone explain? must be a lot of freebies surely

Reply #517212 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

They even out-attended an A-League match (Melbourne City which had 6,500 though played a few hours after the United match). And there was a big cricket match played too at the same time - 86,000.

Had to be a lot of free tickets given out, there is no way 10,300 would attend a game like that AND with all the extra sporting competition that day. Still, its a great result for them and hopefully a sign of better things to come.

Reply #517256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so on the day around Melbourne Park NBL > A-League in terms of total spectators, and NBL > cricket in terms of % capacity of stadium filled. good stat that one

Reply #517269 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Yep. If United keep focused next season and continue to put in the hard work required, then I can see them at least on par with Melbourne City throughout the season (forget about Melb Victory, their way out in front). If they can compete with one of the two local A-League teams, then imagine how great that would be for the NBL's profile.

Past few seasons in Perth, the Wildcats have out-attended the Glory overall (not looking at game day clashes now as that rarely happens in Perth, but overall figures throughout the season). If United can join the party, then that's 2 NBL clubs on an equal or better footing than their A-League counterparts. Not too shabby for a league that gets a fraction of the attention and money the A-League gets.

Reply #517296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If they can compete with one of the two local A-League teams, then imagine how great that would be for the NBL's profile."

I doubt that would be seen as an important milestone.

Reply #517299 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:26 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754