Jack Toft
Years ago

R20: Perth v Townsville

Still plenty at stake in this game. Perth can still retake 3rd with a win and a Sixers loss and Townsville can jump to 5th win a win and a Melbourne loss. This game will affect the final ladder positions more than any other game.

Perth are very strong at home and will be looking to take their win tally into double figures for the season. The Crocs are not so good on the road and haven't walked away with a W from the West for a long time. That just means that the W is getting closer and closer, it might be an opportunity for the Crocs to "sneak a kiss from the quarterback's girlfriend" and steal a win.

The Crocs have suffered from inconsistency this season and after a great win on Friday really need to back up for one last hoorah. This is their Grand Final and they need to make it count.

Perf don't like losing at home, but their heads are focused on finals - have the 29 shirts arrived from China yet? (probably arrived with their monthly frozen berry allocation)

Sadly for Crocs fans, Perf will be high on emotion and Master Coach Trevor G will craft a win.

Topic #36556 | Report this topic

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Go Crocs! :p

Wildcats $1.13, Crocs $6.05 atm on Sportsbet.
I'm tempted, purely due to the "anything can happen" nature of a final round. Game time tipping decision I think.

I'm not expecting this to be a high quality contest. Frankly I'm looking forward to the Fire game today more than the Crocs one.

Reply #516864 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I can see TSV winning this atleast the line. Perth play some ugly basketball, so yeah don't expect an easy on the eye game.

Reply #516867 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Could be interesting. Perth don't care about the result but would like the opportunity to get some confidence back into some players

Reply #516873 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Yea, scoring 94 is ugly? You are a spanner! If redhage can catch fire and martin can hit a few should be intresting. But kobe24 you are one eyed and don't really know what the f##k you are on about!

How about we just have the the trophy Presentation in your eye's the other three have no chance.

Reply #516874 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

God love Cats, don't ever change. You spud!

Reply #516876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Kobe is any example, its no wonder South Australia produces so many serial-killers. Must be something in the water.

Reply #516878 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Really, thats the reply. Stating the facts, they don't play pretty they grind. Any problems with that, take it up with Trev, I'm not your guys problem haha

Reply #516879 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

This is like a spectator sport

Watching one knowledgeable person deal with fans coming to the
realization that no one is afraid of their team anymore. The long term contracts to Redhage and Knight will hamstring the wildcats into next season and beyond

They need to rebuild quickly , no bench, no height and no outside consistency

Reply #516880 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah its fun to reply, just to see what crap they come up with next haha

Reply #516881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scoring X number of points is not direct proof that the game was high quality. You have to see things in context.

I could say I won 94 arguments in a row, but it doesn't make me smart. After all my opponent might have only been cats 4 life.

Reply #516882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Martin can hit a few it should be interesting.

In another equally likely scenario, if U'u can throw down a few dunks it should be interesting.

If Redhage & Wagstaff can keep their feet for more than 3 minutes it should be interesting.

If Daniels can break a sweat it should be interesting.

If Gleeson can coach well it should be interesting.

Reply #516883 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Haha thats funny!

Reply #516884 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anyways after all that, will be nice to see what Gladness can do against Knight, thats atleast one interesting matchup.

Reply #516885 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"The long term contracts to Redhage and Knight will hamstring the wildcats into next season and beyond"

Not really. With both players eligible for loyalty discounts next season, which is the final season of both their contracts, it won't be much of an issue.

Reply #516887 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

up pops opinionantor of all opinionators Uwe

You have dead flesh rotting on your team that you cant cast off and you see the upside as they have loyalty discount points. Do you have an newsletter I can subscribe to ? I don't want to miss any further optimism

Reply #516904 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

You mean those rotting flesh that had 37 points and 17 rebounds between them and were probably their best players on Friday night?
Can't realistically expect that Perth would have not signed those 2 into next season, surely?

Reply #516907 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Its been a very fast paced game so far peeps! Not the ugly grind that was predicted. Martin six steels in the first quarter.. must be the refs bias right!

Reply #516910 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Im mnot watching it but after your comment went to the stats expecting soemthing more than 20-14, thats pretty slow paced. And Id assume Martin has 6 clean steals, he isnt really the guy who gets away with the poor basketball stuff, thats the bigs Redhage and Wagstaff. Hopefully the pace does actually pick up.

Reply #516915 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

And Muzz Buzz thats hilarious, I was worried about Uwe for bit there, didnt have much to say after the Cats loss in Adelaide.

Reply #516917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there any stats guys here capable of producing the average FG% and 3pt% of teams playing at Perth Arena versus the average percentages at all the other stadiums? Just want to know if the perception of "hard rims" at Perth Arena is actually backed up by the data.

Reply #516925 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

35-33, yikes, its a cracker.

Reply #516926 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

Has anyone else been following the live stats for this game says 1st quarter perth scored 40points Townsville 28 points then the 2nd quarter perth 30 Townsville 38 which equals perth 35 Townsville 33 someone has no clue about maths

Reply #516927 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

20-14 after 1, 35-33 at the half.

Knew it wouldn't be pretty today.

Reply #516930 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Careful Dunkin' they'll lose there shit at you if you dare state the obvious about how boring Cats games are when played at there tempo!

bk I have no idea what your talking about??

Reply #516933 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Today they are a combined 2/5 and 3 rebounds in 20 minutes. They are old and can't back up. Rotting flesh.

Reply #516934 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

'Rotting flesh' hahahaha

Reply #516937 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

After a high intensity start to the game the cats are playing without confidence in the second half. Townsville with a deliberate and well executed game plan

Reply #516941 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

on nbl.com live stats the quarter by quarter score on the 1st page

Reply #516946 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Who wouldve thought itd be a low scoring grind.... Guess just because some may not like to hear it and take every comment negatively, sometimes there is logic behind what is said. Should be a nice close finish either way.

Reply #516947 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I've got like $50 riding on Townsville keeping it within 1 point in this last 2 mins.

Reply #516955 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@Hendo8888 stupid Gladness hey!

Reply #516957 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Yes!!!!!

Reply #516958 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Thata boy! Always like to see a bet come in haha You were crusing for the most part, that wouldve killed my heart rate haha

Reply #516960 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Rotting Fleshhage was pretty useful in the 2nd half.

Reply #516965 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Scored over $100 this weekend. Not bad at all.

Reply #516966 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz,I responded to the comment asserting that the Cats will have roster issues by saying that a) they (Knight and Redhage) have one year left each on their contracts, so it won't be for "years to come" and b) those 4 extra points they've got to play with this season will come in handy in upgrading on some of their lesser bench players.

If you can't work out that your comment was both your unfounded opinion and completely off the mark, I'm not sure my newsletter would do you any good.

Kobe, I didn't see Friday's game so there isn't much for me to say. I hardly ever talk my team up and I've clearly stated earlier in the week that Perth is fourth in line for the title.

Reply #516978 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Bugger I was hoping for so much more from you Uwe, usually youve got heaps to say, logical or not.

Reply #516980 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

First five minutes was about the most fun I've had in the Arena this year.

Good to see a big game from Daniels, did very well coming up with great baskets.

Deplorable FT shooting, even if we nabbed four points on the back of missed FTs. Martin had two and-ones, missed both, sigh.

Overall, this season was all about "almost". We "almost" do a million things.

Reply #516981 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

That makes one of us. Seriously mate, you are happy to keep trying to bait me and other Perth fans, but then you complain when you get a reaction. You're pretty fucking pathetic.

If you ever think you think can point out where I've said something illogical, go for it, but I don't reckon your response will be much more than "perth fans, never change lol"

Reply #516983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One guess as to who Uwe really is, predictably goes the personal insult as per Twitter

Reply #516984 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

and along comes another anon to keep the ridiculous personal attacks going. Well done, you must be proud.

Reply #516986 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ive found you to be a bit of a bully actually, so just happy to take give you a bit back. Im done now, you seem pretty upset.

Finals should be some of the best weve seen in years!

Reply #516989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think that was a personal attack life must be very edgy in Perth

Reply #516990 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I'm a bully so you have a pop at me for saying something to someone else about Perth roster issues? You didnt say I was right or wrong, just decided to try an laugh at me.

I'm not upset but I'm also not going to cop it from three people who have chosen the personal attack route, then inevitably get the sole blame for ruining a thread. Pull your head in.

Reply #516993 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

You have said nothing to counter what I said , just puffed your chest up and replied with spurious comments that you can not validate.

Perth need to replace Redhage and Knight. By the time they do replacements will be locked in long term or taking the Brisbane money.

They are not the leaders they were and are slowed by age and injuries, you are already carrying enough baggage without having to add 2 of your past darlings to the list.

Reply #516997 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Wouldnt be the first time youve ruined a thread, pull your head in too and we can all enjoy the playoffs.

Redhage is just about done, said it before, if he is coming off the bench and expected to do minimum he could help, but as is, will be a shell of himself this time next season with the minutes on his legs.

Reply #517000 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

My response was an exact counter to what you said. You said their current contracts would hamstring the club for years to come.

I said that they both only have one more year left on their contracts, so not years, and they both qualify for loyalty discounts from now so that gives them a very handy four points to use. They could keep their top 9 players, (change one import though) then add another 6 or 7 point player. Forgive my optimism but I don't think any club would complain about that.

No way are they replacing Knight and Redhage when they are on 8 and 6 points, respectively.

Reply #517001 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Redhage and Knight on discounted points would be handy to have. Every team has a potential millstone to some degree (e.g., Schenscher in Adelaide last couple of years). Sometimes it's not so damaging in reality - Perth won just last year, Adelaide made the GF; both are in the play-offs this time; both are in a good position to contend again next year.

Muzz Buzz and Kobe24, you're not playing the ball and the chest-beating and ra-ra doesn't really help the forum. And no, I don't care who you think you're arguing with or if you're just trolling or it's a bit of fun; there's a type of discussion I'd rather see on Hoops, and that isn't it.

Reply #517003 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Can we please see more of the line up where Jervis and Knight are on the same time. Could be a game changer !!!

Reply #517005 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac, you're right Ill bite my typing lip from now on. No jokes intended.

Reply #517006 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

And I really think that Daniels flourishes as a SF when. Jervis is playing at the 5 and Kinght at the 4.

Beal is really struggling at moment

Reply #517007 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah i noticed his shooting has been off... any idea why? He tortured the 6ers earlier in the season making huge 3s when we were trying to stay in it. Does he need more iso plays run for him or something?

Reply #517008 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Uwe are you suggesting that Perth will be able to attract a 6/7 point player with U'u or Burdon money?

Points are only part of the contract issue. Redhage and Knight will chew up 25% of the cap next season and will not be delivering on that cost

To utilise the point advantage the 2nd import will be a down grade on what you got this year otherwise those loyalty point discounts are useless

Reply #517011 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Kobe24 : I've never thought Beal to be a go to guy. When the offence has been focused on other players and he is there to pick off the points he has been good. But as soon as you focus the offence on him or make him the go to guy he really struggles. Last year when Ennis was the main man, Beal was there to get off the easy shots , especially in transition. This year when the defence has identified him as a big factor he has really struggled. If Daniels continued to be a big defensive target then I think Beals input would increase. Cats have really got the wrong combo this year. its either beal or Daniels firing , not both as it should be

Reply #517014 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Interesting take from a Cats fan, your right, thinking back Ennis drew so much of the defensive attention Beal was left to his own devices a bit more. If martin could make the open shot thatd help his cause too. Imagine if youd had a combo of Ennis and Lisch, forget about it!

Reply #517018 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Why will they be useless? The import can be whoever they can get, paid for with the marquee money. He'll be replacing a ten point player so he isn't the player that is the benefit from the discount.

Ok, so even if Knight and Redhage start to slow down, thats one more season and then it's new contract time. They'll hopefully take less money, we've then got more money to throw at whatever upgrade we want, plus another two player points due to Here's five tear tenure, and of course a new player rating for at least Redhage. Fair chance we have him playing as a 4 in 2016/17.

Reply #517019 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Really? I have to explain it all to you?

You said the points that the discount frees up will be used to get a 6/7 point player. The only way you can do that is to hope you get a said 6/7 player for minimum salary or your second import will be cheaper than what you spent this year and the money saved there goes towards the new player

Either way your team isn't getting better. Redhage and Knight chew up 25% of the cap and 21% of your points cap next season. You would be far better off being in a stud Aussie and a five point player with cash to spare than what you have.

It was a mistake to put Knight and Redhage on long term deals regardless of loyalty discounts. One I get but not both.

Reply #517021 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

May I suggest that in future each game should have two threads?
One for people to discuss the game, and the other for ignorant trolling fuckwits?

And since people that stupid probably need it spelt out for them, here it is. If you obviously did not even watch the game, know nothing about at least one of the teams playing, apparently know very little about the NBL, and/or your comments consist only of differing variations of "Perf r rubish cos thay suk," then yes, you belong in the fuckwit thread.

This was actually a really good game to watch. No stress, Perth coasting and getting some minutes into their bench, and putting the Crocs away when required.

Daniels had an awesome game, and is really starting to excel in the Swingman role, hitting 6 threes.

I loved the matchup of Jervis on Gladness and Knight on Conklin. (Nice to see some innovation from Gleeson.) Its become increasingly apparent that Knight/ Redhage/ DD are no match for some of the bigger front-courts. Redhage looked far more comfortable coming off the bench, scoring 16 points, and I suggest that is a sign of things to come next year.
Damo didn't take as many shots, but what he did were good.

Not sure if there was something wrong with Beal? He was subbed early (normally last) was rested a lot more, and looked a bit out of sorts at times.

Disappointed that U'U, in 10 minutes, didn't put up a shot.

Reply #517024 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz, you said that the long terms contracts would hamstring the club for years to come. I've pointed out that there are other things going on which will help the club, well beyond whether Knight or Redhage have one year left on their three year deal.

Knight isn't playing any worse than he has ever been. He gets the inevitable six seek freak injury once a season but his form is fine other than that. No one is cutting him lose at 8 points.

Redhage is slowing down but reports of him being finished are greatly exaggerated. He's still scoring at a clip almost identically to Adam Gibson! After next season, he'll be worth about four points. Who says no to him to coming off their team's bench to play the Cattalini or CJ Bruton role?

If there are no roster changes next season apart from an upgrade on Daniels (McRae would have been a much better fit for us), we remain a contender and we have a handy four points up our sleeve for an injury replacement. If we don't use it next season, we have a lot more flexibility the year after that when building the roster, as that 25% estimate is sure to come down significantly.

Reply #517030 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not sure if there was something wrong with Beal? He was subbed early (normally last)
That was immediately after trying to throw a between-the-legs alley-oop. Hardly surprising that he was pulled.

Reply #517040 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Townsville's disappointing season ended as it started, with potential but not enough finishing power, meanwhile Perth has a week to get ready for a tough first round playoff with the newly crowned minor prems, the Cairns Taipans.

Perth put final nail in Crocs season with comeback win

Reply #517050 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:25 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754