Ace
Years ago

Will did BSA move Reserves to same night as YL?

Why did BSA do this?

What is their rationale because the word around the league is that 4 district Clubs are now unlikely to field any Womens Youth League teams.

If this eventuates how could those at BSA get this decision so wrong. It is hard enough to keep girls in the sport to now have them come out of Under 18's into now what will be a joke of a Division 1 competition.

Only the elite players will get worthwhile competition playing reserves.

Not only has this decision impacted on playing numbers but it will on coaches as well because some were involved in Reserves and YL.

What did BSA want out of this move as I can't see the benefits.

Topic #36559 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

woodville couldn't field a side this year what is different

Reply #516959 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

I am just guessing but maybe seniors d3-4-5 to Mondays to free Wednesdays up for premier league?

Reply #516968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No YL 3-5 to monday.

Seiors 4 - 8 Wednesday

YL1-2+Sen1-2 Tuesday

Reply #516973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But BSA opened YL with the cry of it being the best of the "non-ABA" competitions. SURELY they wouldn't then make a decision that flies in the face of that!?

Reply #517062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why we still don't have an under 20 comp is beyond me

Reply #517070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the women's competition was 6 teams, barely.

And BSA wanted to move 12 2s and 14 2s to Fridays and didn't have the court space for Under 20s as well.

Reply #517072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find out that these decisions were made in conjunction with the clubs. It is what the clubs wanted.

Reply #517080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is not what the clubs wanted.

Clubs wanted Div 3 senior moved to Wednesday nights. but BSA wouldn't do it.

Reply #517088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs also wanted the Premier League season length shortened. That didn't happen either.

Reply #517095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, a couple of clubs wanted it shortened others were happy with the current timings. Also debate on number of games. Based on all input and discussion with clubs final outcome was set.

Try again!!

Reply #517106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, a couple of clubs wanted it shortened others were happy with the current timings. Also debate on number of games. Based on all input and discussion with clubs final outcome was set.

Try again!!

Reply #517107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you seriously trying the say the clubs WANTED YL and D2 seniors on the same night? Which would reduce the number of teams and lose players? Are you serious?

Reply #517108 | Report this post

Again  
Years ago

The clubs needed to address the issue of not being able to field both Reserves and Youth League and still have trainings for Premier League.
Yes there are multiple teams that will not field Youth League teams and that is a shame as it was really quite a good competition. But Woodville, Southern, Eastern and North (all women's) would struggle to put a consistent team into Youth League with the current structure unchanged.
Where BSA have let the sport down is by declaring that Reserves is the pathway to seniors and teams must field a Reserves side but not a Youth League side to maintain a Premier League team.
So we are now where we started 5 years ago, 2 half assed competitions, run on the same night, with watered down official's rosters, and a direction that is convoluted at best.
I am lucky, my club has a strong Women's Youth league team, a strong reserves team and a strong(ish) Premier League team, with management and players to maintain all three ongoing

Reply #517112 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Well clearly if you are a rookie on the bench for the Premier League then you would be expected to play Div 2 Reserves. However, if the U 23s is played on same night that make it impossible to fulfil your 23 responsibilities. One has to go. If there are other rookies in the same boat then the u23s is at risk of not enough players, hence the drop out. Further it is also both impossibe to train and play PL and Reserves and 23s. Risk of injury and burn out. And at this age they do have work/study/family committments.

Clubs that have a lack of depth with both coaches and players are at the greatest risk.

Personally I think they U23s is best suited to a div2/3 comp. Otherwise this particular program will just be "dumbed down". May as well play Reserves 3/4/5 and be done with it. Maybe just retain the old U20's with the older players in different Divions of reserves depending on skill, ability and ambition.

Reply #517118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reserves and Division 3 are to be the second and third best competition out side of the 'premier league'. Youth league division 1 and 2 will be a feeder competition for u23 and U18 players not ready for the seniors competition. Youth league division 3+ is for people who obviously won’t make premier league and aren’t at all already for seniors.

Instead of whinging, clubs should look above self-interests and see how they can improve their internal structures to retain youth league and senior players. Obviously changes have been made, so now it’s up to the clubs...

Reply #517121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #108 - Yes I am saying the majority wanted that

Reply #517129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again,

BSA proposed needing both teams to be fielded to qualify for Premier League. The clubs said this is impossible, especially on Women's side and in the end BSA reverted to one competition which was Div 2. The U23/1's comp is now a far cry from where it started. You have Premier League players running around where many of them are not performing anywhere near their capability. Div 2 focus will give a better overall competition.

Woodville had problems before this change while I'm sure North can field both.

BB,

Your point regarding burnout was one of the items considered in putting both comps on same night in conflict with each other. It also helped with having combined meaningful PL trainings

Reply #517133 | Report this post

Ace  
Years ago

Only time will tell but I am certain this move will damage the girls pathway from Under 18's. Unless you played State and are already part of an ABA program you have two choices coming out of Under 18's.

Play in a mickey mouse Under 23 comp or try and play a lower Senior Division. Hardly ideal for a 17 year old.

As mentioned at the start of the post 4 teams are not nominating an Under 23 team at all. Already a backward step for basketball in this State.

I fail to see any positives in this and cant understand how a peak body can get it so wrong.

Reply #518318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA going directly against what they brought in and spruked 5 years ago with the introduction of Youth League. Just a joke of an organisation.

Reply #518590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Change of staff, change of leader change of philosophy.

Simple really.

Reply #518594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same CEO.

And BSA has never had any long term plan. Its always been just a short term band aid depending on who they talk too the most recently.

Reply #518607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

never said anything about the CEO. Decision was made above him.

Reply #518610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The CEO was in charge of organising what nights which grades play on. Not theccommission. They merely set the new Premier League to have Wednesday night games creating the need for change.

Reply #518662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, sadly proving the point that there is no stable, long term thinking in this organisation.

Reply #518812 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

Can someone explain what the point of having a CEO is if they aren't the one making these decisions?

Reply #518894 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:38 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754