Happy Days
Years ago

Giving teams a head start for pre season games

Ok heres one out of left field to consider: Sth Pen played Mornington last night and beat them by 30. To make the game more interesting how about giving Mornington a 30 point head start and let the higher placed team chase them down.So if Champ team plays d2 team the d2 team gets 30 points head start,Champ team play d1, 20 points head start.
Would certainly make for interesting games, just a thought???

Topic #36591 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

I like the concept, not original but sounds like a plan.

Say a youth league team for arguement's sake playing a D1 Big V team could have a 5-8 point per quarter advantage and the Big V team starts each quarter with that deficit added to the YL team's score for them to make up?

Quarter by quarter could work better than just a big lead to chase down depending on what coaches want I reckon, just a thought?

Reply #517917 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't like it at all. I've seen plenty of great upsets over the years that this would negate. Sure it only happens 1% of the time or less, but do you want to deny that?

Reply #517924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We're talking practice games, are we not? If there were many great upsets as you say Mick, then I am predicting it would be more than 1% not less.

Reply #517925 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

Was training last nightand watched some of the game between mornington and southern pen, southern pen looked pretty good didn't have thier import playing they could have given mornington 100 points head start but they still would have lost,Berry's defence had more holes in it than a plate full of swiss cheese, and he must have thought he was on dancing with the stars as he got pinged for travelling that many times it would have covered the distance from melbourne to sydney.

Reply #517934 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Practice Matches only.

Reply #517944 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Like your sense of humour Baller.

Reply #517945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams can do whatever they like in pre season matches it has nothing to do with the league. Altona played mel uni last week in a match that had 5 periods of 10 minutes. Some teams play a running clock.

Reply #518009 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754