Matthew
Years ago

NBL Referees: Professionals or Amateurs?

Hi,

Whilst I talk up on these boards every so often, Ill be the first to admit, Im a a very slow road to learning the rules of Basketball.

I have always wondered something though. Now I know the NBL's Referees often have a day job, they are semi professionals and get paid by the NBL. This is something I think that is holding the league back.. it almost makes the league semi professional and not Professional.

However I was more alarmed to learn that the 'scorers'? (the panel of people who side on one side and do something) are more or less volunteers (I guess they get a free seat to each game). Ive no real idea what they do or why there is so many of them. Whats alarming though is .. they are not paid/ volunteers.

Can someone with a Basketball brain tell me what their job actually is? I assume they adjudicate rules or something, but there appear to be 3 ref's in most games so I dont see why they are needed. Do they flick a switch to reset a shot clock? Add to the score? All this stuff could be done via a computer or the ref running the game.

Sorry for my very poor level of understanding.

I think the NBL need to concentrate on this next. Adopt the full set of NBA rules so they can poach some NBA refs, or make them full professionals. Get the Brisbane stuff done first, then look at this disparity between Professional Players and semi professional Infrastructure they sit on.

Topic #36595 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Not overly familiar, but the stats people are very dedicated. From what I remember having talked to one of them many years ago, there is a "caller" who will call out what they see (I assume something like "5 white field goal made, 8 white assist"), and then a couple of people who are actually recording the stats via a computer. It's busy work, especially when they're recording the spot on the floor where the shot/attempt was made, etc.

I would guess that the timekeeper is separate person and manages the shot clock or any other adjustments required.

They might frustrate people (Gladness!) with subjective calls or inflate assists or whatever, but they're doing it real-time and take it very seriously.

I think if you watched a game live and tried to record full stats on your own, you would fail dismally.

Reply #517978 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think the NBL need to concentrate on this next. Adopt the full set of NBA rules so they can poach some NBA refs
"Hey, would you like to move to the other side of the world in exchange for a large pay cut?"

Reply #517982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have five stats, 3 computers, one for live tv or nbl tv, one for live stats and one as a back up in case of failure of the ones, one caller as Isaac requiring to call every play, every turnover, every steal, every shot attempt etc. Score bench is different you have a scorer, a person updating the score board (when it works in Adelaide) a shot clock operator, a timer and a chair person who calls the game to the scorer and administers time outs and subs. all are professional at what they do undertaking exams and accreditation and constantly working at other games to hone their crafts. however all are underpaid virtually getting coffee or petrol money for their time.

Reply #517983 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"I think if you watched a game live and tried to record full stats on your own, you would fail dismally."

It's just about impossible, particularly if you're looking to include a shot chart. I've managed to do it by myself for just one district team (excluding opposition stats), but it was very hard work and detracted from my enjoyment of the game.

The fact that so many struggle recording basic scoring and foul stats at District and Social games is a testament to the work these volunteers put in. The league is very lucky to have them.

Reply #517984 | Report this post

NBLG  
Years ago

A) These guys are not volunteers (to my understanding), the scorers get paid.

B) "Do they flick a switch to reset a shot clock? Add to the score? All this stuff could be done via a computer or the ref running the game."

How do you expect a referee on the floor to be able to control the scoring? There is no wonder there is a 'slow road' in learning the game, or what goes on.

C) Every person on the score table has a job. Do you think they employ some of these people just to sit there and look good?

D) Stats is a tough gig, exactly what Isaac says happens, happens. It takes getting used to, and while we always whinge about stats being wrong (me included) they do try their best.

Reply #517992 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Thanks for the information.

Reply #517994 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The difference between the NBL and NBA with the stats (other than different interpretations) is that the NBA reviews stats after each game and corrects box scores. NBL wouldn't have money to do this because they don't have any money at all.

Reply #517997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA rookie ref is on approx 80k. The NBL's highest paid ref would be on 20k...before take. The entire NBL referee budget is around the 450k mark. That includes flights, accommodation, allowances and game payments.

Reply #518004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scorers and stats $25 a game you call that being paid? volunteer more like it when they have to do CABL (Premier League) all winter for their own clubs for free to maintain or hone their skills. Believe the $25 per game has been in from the 90s so they are really doing it for the love be there before the crowd leave after the crowd so 3 hours work on game day under pressure for $25. not for me thanks.

Reply #518007 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754