Anonymous
Years ago

36ers need to cut Brock Motum

We need to cut Motum next year! For someone who started the year in the nba he should be taking Over this game! Instead he has gone missing and is not the match winner we need, considering the amount he's getting paid!!!
I'll say it again we need a stud import that you can throw the ball when nothing is going right offensively and let them go to work!
The 36ers will NEVER will a championship if our best players are Motum and Johnson!!

(Mod: Changed title from "Motum is crap!!" Not keen to see players compared to excrement.)

Topic #36606 | Report this topic

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Good grief.....

Reply #518345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3rd in the league in PER after a slow start.

Likely playing hurt in this series.

Probably not on that much in terms of dollars paid as he arrived late and had an nba out clause.

Reply #518346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well he won't be needing any NBA out clauses in his future contract! No chance og getting back there

Reply #518348 | Report this post

ballwatcher  
Years ago

So this is the post mortem and retribution council speaking?

Reply #518350 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's injured and playing against a world-class frontcourt, tough ask. Would you prefer he sat out the series?

Reply #518351 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Well that didn't take long...

Reply #518353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think youse need to realise that adelaide just isn't a good basketbbal city!! Useless!

Reply #518355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think youse need to realise that adelaide just isn't a good basketbbal city!! Useless!

Reply #518356 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

If it wasn't for Motum, Adelaide may never of made the finals. Certainly deserved a bit more credit than what the OP has given him.

Reply #518358 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

That's unfair, we were the 2nd best regional centre in the country.

Reply #518359 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Man this topic should just be removed, stupidity in every sense of the word. Where were you with this 2 weeks ago when he was 6-7 from deep against Perth.

Reply #518361 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

he's getting paid a lot less than Shensch..

perhaps your vent is aimed in the wrong direction

Reply #518365 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Cat thats not true, and Schenscher was paid what he was with the intention of playing him and utilising him ala when Ninnis was coach. Joey has benched him long before his form had dropped off.

Reply #518367 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Next thing we're going to hear is calls for Joey to be sacked. Coach of the month for January and February. Taken us to 2 finals in 2 years (including a Grand Final) after 5 years of mediocrity.

But as to Brock. Was the calf injury worse than anyone was told? And lets not forget that NZ's front court of Abercrombie, Vukona, Ibekwe and Pledger are no pushovers.

Look, we were out played on Thursday and tonight. It happens.

Reply #518376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum is the only player in the last 5 years I genuinely get excited about watching! Easily the best player on the Sixers team, open your eyes!

Reply #518402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You goose.

Reply #518405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This must be a joke! Have you seen Motum play? Best Australian in the league!

Reply #518406 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

At least give yourself an alias if you're going to throw out rubbish like this. Then we can personally laugh at you.
Complete nonsense.

Reply #518409 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

He has had a woeful finals series, but he was great during the season. Motum is far from crap! Consider that he is carrying an injury! I would be pointing the fingers elsewhere. Adam Gibson comes to mind.,

Reply #518415 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah I've started to lose my patience with Gibson. Defended him in the past, but he is showing he is half the captain Brett Maher was. Seems to have the capabilities to take over a game, just something is holding him back from doing so. But this is probs just everyone pretty upset right now, unless you hate the 6ers then its all gravy haha

Reply #518419 | Report this post

Tommy G  
Years ago

He doesn't need to be cut. However he needs mentoring or some more secific coaching in the off season. He hardly did what he was supposed to do tonight and push to the basket. Take the hit and draw the BLOODY FOUL!!!

Reply #518434 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

For Gibbo's money you can get an import who will do a lot more.

Gibbo is a pretty good general though so import would need to have that quality if you were going to replace him.

Reply #518439 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Do you think Gibson would be better if he lost some weight? Not saying that he is fat but he seems to be too slow these days. Too slow to guard point guards and is struggling to keep up with shooting guards.

Reply #518451 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think if you take away his weight you take away his strength...

Reply #518453 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think such dissections should wait till the disappointment has faded a little.

Reply #518455 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

This thread needs to be cut. The OP has obviously not been paying attention the last two months.

Reply #518457 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Gibson is where the finger should be pointed. He is master magician with his disappearing acts. I have seen his big games and know he can do it, but it's like hes just trying to ride the bus for free most games. I would be 50/50 on keeping or dropping him

Reply #518478 | Report this post

Rashad  
Years ago

I'm from Perth and a mad wildcats fan which clearly means i hate Adelaide (lol) BUT... this post is stupid. Motum is a gun player and was a huge factor in the Sixers run to the finals.

Reply #518483 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@GWB even though we think the Sixers should look at the possibility of replacing Gibson with an import, it isn't the clubs decision. Gibson has an option to stay at the club if he wants. So the decision is his.

Reply #518484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way should we look at cutting Motum. Anyone who wins 2 Player of the Week awards and is an Aussie should be high on the list of retaining and especially as he is young is a real keeper. Sure he has areas that he needs to work on but if he didnt he would be in the NBA right now so I would be building a team around him and DJ ( same reasons ). With Gibbo and the $$ he is on I wouldnt keep him and I have been a fan of his in the past but feel he does go missing a lot of times and you cannot have that with one of your top players. I reckon it is pretty clear that he isnt elite but more that 3 best player on your team rather than the main man he has to be in the past. Schenscher has to retire and Petrie to come off the bench. We need an import who can shoot the 3 and be a 2 guard.

Reply #518522 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Sure, there should be some debate about whether his new nickname should be 'Choke' Motum or Brock 'Chokum', but any talk of cutting him is ridiculous.

Reply #518592 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Sorry poster #36606, the issue here is you and your inability to see a quality player when he's there in front of you. Posts like yours irritate me. Have you played at this level? Did you receive multiple athletic scholarship offers from D1 Colleges?

Don't forget he came out of the same program that gave the NBA Klay Thompson, so we can safely say this is a good program..

Just because he doesn't really work in the 36'ers system (or lack of one) doesn't give you license to rag on a young athlete who is genuinely talented.

And maybe think twice before giving your post a volatile, offensive title. The moment Brock moves on from Adelaide (being a GOOD MOVE) and he will, he'll be snapped up. Melb will happily grab him as would Sydney.

Reply #518596 | Report this post

pod  
Years ago

tell ya what! cut the crap cos when all was going swimmingly a few weeks ago, I didn't hear any issues about motum, or teys or gibbo etc.
now suddenly the bandwagoners have dropped off cos its the end of the season.
it wasn't a good finals series but we never finished first or second like last year so was always gonna be harder.
some on this forum suggested 2-0 to 36ers in the series, yet NZ aren't a garbage team. I admire them.
But to stick it to brock who prior to the finals played exceptionally well, shows true class to the "hero" who came up with this thread.
Support, not hang shit cos you think its Ok.

Reply #518600 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Just because he doesn't really work in the 36'ers system (or lack of one) doesn't give you license to rag on a young athlete who is genuinely talented."

I don't think there would be many systems in world basketball that suit Motum better than Joey Wright's, and that's why he produced his best season of basketball in his career once he figured out the workrate required.

It's funny how this season there have been two Adelaide players who have copped a real ragging on here, Wilson and Motum. I'm not sure where the team would have been without those two.

Reply #518606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A stretch 4 guy with size and range that plays hard.

He'll do some nba summer league stuff then probably sign with a mid level euro cup team (or low level euro league).

We will miss him when he is gone as he is talented and good for the league as we don't have many boomers playing in the nbl.

Reply #518611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever wrote this post is a pooface. Keep Brock for sure.

Reply #518729 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I think the OP posted this when emotional about Adelaide losing the Semis.

After taking a while to settle into the team, Brock Motum was a big factor in the 36ers charge into the playoffs. Yes he had a sub-par series against the Breakers, but I think that has more to do with his calf injury and the quality of the Breakers front court than any lack of ability on his part.

Just remember, other than Wilson nearly all the 36ers had a sub-par series. Gibbo continued his mediocre form, Mitch Creek was down, Teys was way down, Peach was quiet and so was Schenscher. DJ was ok without being outstanding while Crawford may as well of not been there.

Personally I hope Adelaide can keep Brock Motum for 2015-16 at the very least. He has proven himself to be a quality player in the NBL

I think the biggest concern should be Gibbo's continued poor form. Last night he reminded me of Steven Weigh when he played here. Did nothing for 3/4 of the game, then padded up his stats (scoring) in the last when it was too late. I think he is a better PG than he is a SG, but he will never do well in a team with dominant PG like we had with Ervin last year and Wilson this year. He can play SG as we know, but he goes into his shell too much when he has to play second fiddle and doesn't contribute nearly as much as he should.

Sadly, if Gibbo has done anything this year he's probably played himself out of a Boomers spot. It would have been hard for him to make it given the Aussie guards like Mills, Dellavedova and Ingles who are doing well in the NBA. But his generally below par form for Adelaide would have made it harder for him to be selected.

Reply #518732 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

His NBL form won't even be considered because he's already part of the squad, Lemanis knows what he provides in the international game and that's what counts. Club form gets you in the squad, international form keeps you there or gets you dropped.

Reply #518743 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Motum is a really good player, the problem the 36ers need to solve is can he and DJ play major minutes together??

They both dont offer much rim protection, and sort of reminds me of the DJ and Ballinger combo issues.

For that reason unless they can figure a scheme out where it works with them both playing 25-30 mins each and not being a bad interior defensive team it may be tough to keep both Motum and DJ.

DJ in a way has more runs on the board at NBL level, so some may prefer to keep DJ than Brock if they dont think having both works.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Brock and DJ, i sort of suspect it will be one or the other, salary cap and points cap also make it hard to keep both also.

But other than that you wouldnt consider cutting Brock as he is a really good player, one of the best in the NBL.

Reply #518750 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Well Brock is signed and DJ is their first off season target...

Get better at perimeter defense and our defense as a whole will improve.

We lost more games from the perimeter than we did in the post!

Reply #518820 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Very true, was excited to hear Joey wants a Donta Smith type.

Reply #518821 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The SF series was lost inside. NZ exploited Adelaide's bigs time and time again.

Reply #518822 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I disagree Paul.

CJ and Webster had 33 between them and with assists would have contributed to probably 50% of their score.

NZ bigs were more effective because CJ & Webster got into the paint and were able to pass off to wide open bigs as our bigs collapsed on the penetrator.

CJ led his team in rebounds with 10. If he is getting 10 boards it suggests our perimeter players are not boxing out and he is getting a good run up at the rebound.

Reply #518835 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As Joey Wright said, "they took away our block". NZ's bigs won the physical battle at both ends, and did a much better job defending the on-ball. Vickerman knew exactly where to go at the 36ers, particularly with Motum hampered.

Reply #518837 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tornado, look at the NZ bigs' percentages in the second game. From memory, Pledger was 3/3, Ibekwe barely missed, Vukona fine and Wesley fine.

Reply #518852 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isaac, how many of those were under the basket and as a result of poor perimeter D or poor full court press D - From memory, it was a lot.

Reply #518855 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

It was our defence or lack there of on the guards. They repeatedly broke the full court press lobbing it to the cherry picking big for the dunk and Cedric in general owned the paint off the dribble. There bugs simply finished easy shots off assists.

Reply #518861 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

NZ scored 94 for the game. CJ & Webster had 33 points, 10 assists and 11 rebounds.

Between them they accounted for at least 53 of their teams 94 points - that's a minimum of 56% of their teams score.

NZ's front court shooting % was largely due to lack of perimeter defense and our bigs reacting to penetration or poor full court pressure.

NZ's bigs took 27 shots between them, making 19 of those, scoring at 70%. CJ & Webster had 10 assists accounting for 10 of those @ 100%.

I'm not saying our bigs are fantastic defenders but I dont think they are woeful either. Perimeter defense is and has been our major issue for a long time!

Reply #518863 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Exactly Kobe24!

Reply #518868 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"NZ's front court shooting % was largely due to lack of perimeter defense and our bigs reacting to penetration or poor full court pressure."

Without analysing footage it's hard to say if NZ's guards were so effective because the bigs' on-ball defence was bad, or if their bigs were so effective because Adelaide's perimeter D was bad. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Listening to both of Joey Wright's press conferences, however, I was left in no doubt he felt his bigs got handed their backsides.

Reply #518903 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'm not saying the bigs didn't get their a$$es handed to them. I'm just saying it wasn't made any easier by the lack of perimeter defense.

Reply #518907 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Personally, from the little I have observed of his on court behaviour, I feel that at times he looks like a bit of an Ass.
Plus, I think he needs to work on adapting his defensive side to the NBL.
That said, he is probably the BEST local player in the league. As a 9 point player, the 6's would have to be insane to cut him.

The decision they need to make, is whether they want to go for a massive front court (it worked well for Perth for years) and adapt their game accordingly, OR make some tough calls regarding other players.

One thing to keep in mind is that Petrie is now the wrong side of 30. They must not make the same mistake Perth did assuming Redhage was still good enough to start.

I think starting DJ at centre and Motum at PF will give you a monster front court, and that's before you throw in another import. (I think Shensy's days are numbered.)

Reply #518915 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I still don't understand why Joey didn't adjust and start Motum and DJ for game 2. Every game DJ played, I was waiting for him to be let loose and play 30+ minutes, every 3 minutes he kept subbing, started to piss me off.

Reply #518990 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

NZ punished Adelaide inside, it was a demolition job

Reply #518996 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:17 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754