NBL Fan
Years ago

Brian Conklin NBL 2014/15 MVP

NBL has just announced Brian Conklin as the MVP. Quite interesting. I like others had Jackson as my favorite.

No awards night this year either.

http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/1eacexw77tq0q10n2rbzsyq27g

Topic #36608 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Pays to be the only good player in your team.
Childress would have won in a landslide if he played the whole season.
Conklin was very good this season. Stood out in pretty much every game I saw him play. Such an even field this year, (other than Childress, who was far and away the best player), could have gone to any of probably 5 or 6 players.

Reply #518377 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Jamar Wilson should have won.

Reply #518378 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

1 Conklin 111
2 Jackson 101
3 Childress 94
4 McRae 83
4 Wilbekin 83
4 Wilson 83

Reply #518379 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Dafuq??

Reply #518381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps the calls to change the voting system will be heard again this season.

There was a decent run of good players from good teams winning (Lisch, Ced Jackson) although it seems to be going to the guy with the least help on offense now.

Reply #518383 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As predicted, just quietly!

http://www.fiba.com/news/the-best-of-the-best-mvp-time

Reply #518385 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I don't like this at all, Jackson and Wilson were both as good for their team and there teams went deep. I don't look at Conklin and fear his play as a fan...

Reply #518386 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it might just be a case of out of sight, out of mind for some people with Townsville hidden out of view, Conklin was huge this season.

Reply #518387 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I saw a fair few games of there, he is solid, but the I always held the MVP status as pretty amazing talent, he is a work horse, but thats about it. Not MVP calibre, compared to what other game breakers are in the league.

Reply #518389 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yes, he can take a lot of the credit for his team's awesome 11-17 season

Reply #518390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like the NFL an offensive MVP award this year?

Reply #518391 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Check the comments on the NBL fb page, many don't understand this one... thought i was going crazy, but I'm not alone.

Reply #518393 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you don't think he's MVP calibre, have a chat to some opposition players about him.

Reply #518399 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

No awards night ? Weird.

Reply #518403 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The worst part of this whole episode was the NBL's media relations woman hyping a "major announcement in 30 minutes", then this news dropping 50 minutes later.

Reply #518408 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

This new NBL awards strategy is a massive step backwards. Was Conklin even handed the award in person or did he just get a text or email saying " Congrats , your trophy is in the post "

Reply #518410 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It was done at the Crocs' team awards night, by the sound of it.

Reply #518411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When will the rest of the awards be announced?

Reply #518413 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

No award ceremony is incredibly poor for a national competition.
Even my local comp has a 'ceremony' of sorts to hand out the premiership medals and announce the MVP.

Reply #518414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin saw the tweet. He may have retweeted it.

Reply #518416 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hey Conklin is definitely a good solid player, but I don't need to ask any players to know he isn't the most 'feared and worrisome' to come up against. In a comparison of the very best of the best, he isn't the best.

Reply #518417 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

suprised Webster didn't get the MIP. WTF is going on there.

Reply #518418 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you do need to ask Kobe24, because many of the guys who actually come up against him consider him extremely tough to guard.

Obviously Childress was the best player in the league, but once he got injured there were a number of guys in the running, and Conklin was one of those.

I have no qualms with the votes falling this way, had Jackson not let his frustrations get the better of him in a few too many games he would have won this.

Reply #518422 | Report this post

Conklin MVP
Sixers out of finals
Great night.

Reply #518423 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Even as a Crocs fan, I think I disagree with this. You can't give the MVP to someone on a team that inconsistent.

Having said that, most of the top teams didn't have a standout individual talent.

And to echo what Paul said: Conklin is one of the toughest covers in the league. People forget that because Townsville are never on TV.

The only person leaguewide who can guard him is Mika Vukona, and even he only gets the upper hand half the time. The fact that he led the league in free throws made is a testament to this.

Also sucks for the Crocs: they have no money and his agent is going to want to drive his price through the roof now.

Reply #518430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He won't be in the nbl next year. Chasing more money in Europe and this helps a lot!

The award is flawed. Simple. Giving it out at the team's awards night is flawed. Giving it out early because he is flying home the next day is flawed. How do you have any media interviews with him to promote the league?

It's a shame, but Townsville people would hardly recognise him. And him going to Europe next year, the crocs can't even build anything next season with the mvp on their roster.

I couldn't be any more ho hum about it

Reply #518469 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Obviously Childress was the standout all year and would have won if he had played more games. But after that it could have gone to Conklin, Wilson, wilbekin, Jackson or McRae.

The voting system favoured Conklin being on a weaker team but he was fantastic all year and deserved the award.

Blanchfield winning mip also no surprise and well deserved, those two guys were the crocs standouts all year.

Reply #518474 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Blanchfield didn't improve. His stats were a result of him being on a team with virtually no offensive skill outside of him and Conklin.

Webster genuinely improved his offensive (and defensive) game, such to the point he became a vocal point of a team littered with offensive star-power (when previously he could not be relied upon to the same extent).

Conklin is a great player - but once again he is a product of being on a team without any offensive studs.

Go through all the teams and Conklin would not be a starting PF on a lot of them.

And paul with all due respect, I don't really think it matters what the opposition thinks of him..the MVP isn't awarded based on how tough he is to guard.

Jackson or Childress for me - when Childress was out, look at what happened to Sydney. When teams played Sydney, they talked about one guy - Childress. He was at the centre of teams wins.

Reply #518498 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Atleast United didn't get made to look any dumber with McRae winning the league but not team MVP!

Reply #518511 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"And paul with all due respect, I don't really think it matters what the opposition thinks of him."

Who do you think votes on the MVP?

Reply #518513 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Blanchfield didn't improve. His stats were a result of him being on a team with virtually no offensive skill outside of him and Conklin."

Blanchfield definitely improved, to switch to two-guard and produce the season he did was impressive, but he didn't improve as much as Webster.

Reply #518515 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I agree. Harsh to say that Blanchfield didn't improve. I thought he took a noticeable step up in responsibility this season, and I was impressed. I've always liked his potential and hoped he wouldn't just forever be stuck in "could have been..." status in the NBL.

But Webster, yeah, an even bigger step up.

Reply #518518 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just out of interest, and not saying this is by anyway definitive as there is are lot more to it than stats, here are the statistical ranking per game for the leading candidates:

McRae 15 (27 games)
Wilson 14.7 (24)
Conklin 14.4 (28)
Jackson 12.5 (28)
Wilbekin 11.3 (28)

Childress was a remarkable 22.6!

Reply #518550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin was 4th in PER behind Childress (not enough games), Ibekwe (not enough minutes, too many fouls), Motum (not enough games).

Ced Jackson was 25th.

Reply #518554 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Top 20 in statistical ranking was:

1 Childress 22.6
2 McRae 15
3 Wilson 14.7
4 Motum 14.5
5 Conklin 14.4
6 Worthington 13.9
7 Blanchfield 12.6
8 Jackson 12.5
9 Ibekwe 11.9
10 Daniels 11.7
10 Knight 11.7
12 Gladness 11.3
12 Wilbekin 11.3
14 Garlepp 11.1
15 Gibson 10.6
15 D Martin 10.6
17 Petrie 10.2
18 Kickert 10.1
18 Madgen 10.1
18 Tragardh 10.1

Reply #518559 | Report this post

DDA  
Years ago

Conklin is awesome.

Well deserved.

Reply #518595 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Macdub I notice blanchfield is 7th in the league in the top 20 stats ranking behind 4 imports, motum and wortho, so he definately not only improved but was one of the best players in the league this year.

I was at every crocs home game and blanchfield improved out of sight.

Didn't see Webster on the top 20 list, must have been a typo!

Reply #518604 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Blanchfield was huge this year, even if his efficiency took a dip. The way he was rebounding and asserting himself was a massive step up for him, and he got better as the season went on.

Reply #518790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pardon the pun, but what a CROC of SH1T

Reply #518794 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754