Should The NBL Change The MVP Voting System?

It was announced recently that Brian Conklin was named MVP of the NBL. IMO the MVP voting system is flawed as it gives players with the least amount of talent on their teams a better shot at securing the most MVP votes. Selecting Conklin (11-17 record) over Scottie Wilbekin and Cedric Jackson is ridiculous. The same thing happened last season with Rotnei Clarke over James Ennis and Chris Goulding.

Topic #36610 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes

Reply #518467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm from towmsville and I totally agree - have been saying it since Brian Wethers won it!

Reply #518468 | Report this post

Peppapig  
Years ago

Gong at least got into finals last year though, and Clarke was a constant high preformer, well above Conklin.

Reply #518470 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

It definitely needs to be changed.

Reply #518473 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I'm happy with the voting system but I think allowing the coaches to distribute them as they please is what causes the players from lesser teams to benefit. They either need to borrow from the Brownlow and make it strictly 3-2-1, or they need to add weightings to the tally at the end of the season to take wins in to account.

Reply #518475 | Report this post

Green 76  
Years ago

Yes - don't believe in won't MVP based on numbers. Which is what the system does.

Reply #518476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What thu?^

Reply #518485 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Childress should have been MVP - Injured or not.

Reply #518487 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like the fact it's voted on week upon week so you get an accurate reflection of performances throughout the year.

Maybe we could tweak the voting regs a little, but both Clarke and Conklin* were amongst the standouts the past two years so I don't agree them getting MVP is reason to adjust it.

*after Childress, of course.

Reply #518508 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Rotnei was a more than deserving winner. As proven this season from how the hawks went without him.
He is a Genuine MVP

Reply #518520 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yep! Hate the current system. Encourages good players in bad teams. Although last year Clarke almost single handedly took that Hawks team to the playoffs. So I had no problem with that.

Reply #518521 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I'd like the system tweaked too.
I still maintain that Ennis was last season's MVP, but Rotnei was a worthy winner. A legit game-winner, on a playoff team. A guy opponents struggled to contain.
Conklin ... I dunno. Yeah he was a tough matchup, but so were 20 other guys around the league. I just can't picture too many coaches shitting themselves in the leadup to a Crocs match over how they were going to contain him.
I don't mean to knock him btw. He's a more than solid import and I'd be happy to retain him in the league. And I guess his win is also a symptom of a lack of other obvious candidates. Whereas last year James & Rotnei were both standout players.

But bottom line, I would like to see some kind of guidelines about how votes can be distributed to a losing side. On a game-by-game basis, opponents will naturally be respectful with their voting and happily dish out sympathy votes to a guy that did ok in a losing side. But when that happens to that guy all the time because his teammates are so ordinary, it adds up just a bit too much for my liking.

Reply #518529 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

When a power forward leads the league in FGM in the paint and from midrange, as well as FTA, while shooting at 51%, ranking in the league leaders in points and boards, and producing numbers consistently, he is definitely an awards candidate.

Had Childress not got injured Conklin wouldn't have been MVP, but he did get injured, and there was no one clearly above Conklin who was the best big in the league.

Wilson, Jackson and Wilbekin would have been worthy winners, but all three had periods where they didn't play well and probably hurt their team as much as helped them, and that put them back amongst the pack.

I would like to see the voting system tweaked a little though, Conklin wasn't 28 votes better than Wilson and Wilbekin.

Reply #518536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL should directly rip off the AFL and the Brownlow Medal.

The Leroy Loggins / Ray Borner / Andrew Gaze (or whichever player you want) medal.

3/2/1 voting by the umpires. Suspensions make you ineligible. Dissmissive looks by the likes of Wortho will likley lead to you getting less votes.

The public understands this format. The night itself is normally a little long although it is a good celebration for the league.

The format has its flaws and like the current NBL voting system the best player doesn't always win, although its Australian, the public understands the voting system and all of its little quirks generate interest.

The Childress elbow was probably the biggest news story of the season, although adding MVP ineligible at the time (or the Gaze Best and Fairest Medal) would have added to the story.

Players from winning teams do normally get the 3 votes unless there are exceptional circumstances (Ablett Jr = Childress).

Reply #518538 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

He wasn't 1 point better than Wilbekin, let alone 28, IMO. But I'll also admit that the Crocs weren't on the top of my must-watch teams list this season.

Reply #518539 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'd prefer to have the coaches voting, they know a lot more than the refs. I just think they should give the three best players on the other team a rating out of 10 and be done with it.

If Cedric Jackson has a triple double and Corey Webster hits 30, or Conklin and Blannchfield both have 20 and 10, they don't steal votes off each other, they can both get high votes.

Reply #518540 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

@ DD, Wilbekin had a string of games in the middle of the season where he struggled. Of the guys listed I think he's the least deserving. Had he produced his early and late season form consistently he'd have won it.

Reply #518544 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yeah, NBL refs voting is a bit of a dicey idea to me. Doesn't fill me with the type of confidence I have in AFL umpires to vote sensibly. And even they come up with some interesting ones (and yes I'm saying that as an Eagles fan too)

Reply #518545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With any system there is the ability to rig although we don't actually see the coaches votes.

Could Dennis knowing Ced Jackson is Conlkin's main competition just give Ced zero votes in the Crocs v Breakers games no matter how well Ced plays.

For coach Dennis, saying he got a guy from the NZNBL and turned him into the mvp of the Australian league would be a decent recruiting tool.

Thats the good thing about the umpires voting, you expect them to make big mistakes and it all adds to the intrigue.

Reply #518549 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's easily solved, make the coaches' votes available. Under no circumstances do I want the refs voting on MVP, their efforts with flop warnings this year confirmed they have little feel for the game.

Reply #518551 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's the same problem with most of these type of awards. The two tops teams play an epic game, and the points are distributed. The two bottom teams play a crabfest and the same points are given out.
Worse, when top teams play the points are distributed amongst a number of quality players.

Reply #518558 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

The votes used to be able to be distributed amongst many players. Not sure what it is now.
The voting system hasn't changed again AFAIK and the vote apportioning wont have changed either.
IE." The two tops teams play an epic game, and the points are distributed. The two bottom teams play a crabfest and the same points are given out."

Nothing has changed in an eternity so why change it now. Just because someone wins it who is 'less deserving' according to a few don't mean its a broken system.

Reply #518561 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Just get a group of 5 respected basketball minds together and let them decide. This system currently is weak at best.

Reply #518564 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This system reflects performances week after week from people who know the game and the league better than anyone, not consensus picks by people reflecting over five months and 96 games where much of the detail can be forgotten.

Reply #518566 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

They have 8 respected minds already.

Conklin won by 10 votes. So why is the system flawed?

"Conklin was allocated 111 votes over 20 rounds to claim the 2015 MVP honour, edging out Cedric Jackson (New Zealand Breakers) with 101 votes, while Josh Childress (Sydney Kings) still managed to place third with 94 votes despite only playing 18 games. Jordan McRae (Melbourne United), Scottie Wilbekin (Cairns Taipans) and Jamar Wilson (Adelaide 36ers) completed the season with 83 votes apiece.

Reply #518571 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Maybe the minds need to be changed then lol

Reply #518578 | Report this post

I have an idea. select a few stand out players e.g childress, jackson, conklin, mcrae, wilbekin. and a few more and then let the public vote off of that. what do you think of that?

Reply #518579 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

So vote for a player that has a season ending injury? No thanks.

Reply #518580 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

You know, I have no problem with Conklin winning the MVP award. He was a standout for the Crocs who did struggle somewhat this season so unlike Jackson, Martin, Wilson etc, he didn't have team mates taking votes from him.

In saying that though, if Childress didn't get injured twice during the season he probably would have won it rather easily.

What I do have a problem with is the way the awards have been announced. For a national competition like the NBL to hand out the awards without having an awards night like the Brownlow (AFL) or Dally M's (NRL) or the Border Medal (cricket) is a bit on the nose IMO.

Reply #518612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Piss poor. Let's hope the NBL read here and take it on board.
Martin MVP? WTF!! Wilson? Nope.
The award winner was consistent. Other players will always take away other votes in the same team. That's the way it always has been. irregardless of the sport.

Reply #518614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So people are whinging that Conklin shouldn't win because his team sucked

Yet in same breath admit and are happy with the fact that Childress would have been stand out winner if he didn't get injured?

The kings as a whole were crap, with and without Childress - same as Conklin and Townsville

Reply #518638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10% voting difference means a change to the voting system. That small degree of difference seems to me to support exactly why they got it right.

Reply #518807 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Blanchfield would have taken a few votes from him...

Whenever you do round by round voting it takes the big picture / team record out of it, obviously, just like the Brownlow.

None of the guys on the elite teams had standout seasons, individual numbers wise.

Reply #519058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL Awards night was planned to be held on the Monday night following the last game of the season. You might recall all teams played on the Sunday to accommodate the ability for required players and coaches to fly down to Melbourne for the event.

From my understanding NZ & Perth kicked up a stink about having to disrupt their finals preparation and the additional long travel requirements for their coaches and required players. They threatened to boycott the event. (In previous years teams were fined if they didn't attend)

When you consider the teams in playoffs this year, Adelaide would of somewhat gained an advantage only having a 45 min flight to Melbourne where as Perth, NZ and Cairns 3.5hrs plus with the short turnaround of games. And we are talking possible award winners so likely your top 2/3 players in each team having to travel and Coach of Year (Joey, Dean, Aaron) I agree to an extent their issue.

Solution, Schedule event 2 days after GF GM3, massive fines for those teams/players that do not attend. (Contract Imports with this date in mind)

Reply #519061 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A simpler answer would have been to schedule games in Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney and Wollongong on the final day and then the awards ceremony is on the way home.

If you wanted to add to that, only play two SF games the first weekend, on Friday and Sunday for TV, so teams aren't preparing potentially for three games in four days.

Reply #519064 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They threatened to boycott the event.
Perth and NZ are strongly represented in the league. It's the league working against the league.

Reply #519066 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Isaac Forman presents "A concise history of the NBL".

Reply #519071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the West Coast Eagles have a final the first week they normally have their own Brownlow event running simultaneity in Perth with the Melbourne event running on a big screen.

Cameras switch to the Perth room when votes are announced.

With 15 other teams it doesn't really take away from the event and works quite well.

With the NBL awards not having a TV deal running the awards night in this manner could be considered.

Reply #519074 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, based on NBL.TV, I wouldn't be confident about the NBL running an event heavily reliant on a live video stream.

Reply #519088 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In fairness Isaac, that isn't the NBL, but I can see your point.

Reply #519091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league may be able to avoid Perform with the night and just use Skype or Google Hangouts and have a decent chance at success:-)

Reply #519092 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

So Nick Marvin, who apparently runs the league single-handedly, plans to have an awards night on the day after the season finishes, then kicks up a stink about his own decision and threatens boycotts his own function.

Sure, makes perfect sense!!

The event isn't even televised (or streamed on the net anymore) so whether clubs and players attended in person, or did a set-up like #074 suggested, it wouldn't have made a difference. It gets no media coverage so having an event and forking out hundreds of thousands of dollars is a waste of money.

The Cats players attended last year, right in the middle of the semis and GF, and this year they would have only had to send one player who was any chance of winning any award.

There has been suggestions for a few months that no awards night was ever planned (assuming that decision was based on finances), which is a far more likely scenario than this rumoured boycotted event.

Reply #519093 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754