Anonymous
Years ago

Why aren't the Breakers called the Auckland Breakers?

They only play in Auckland so why arent they named this? Has always confused me how a whole country can be one team

Topic #36633 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Auckland population : 1.4mil
NZ population :4mil+

No. of teams in NZ = 1

Why alienate 2.6mil ppl from your franchise area?

With 4mil population they have the same catchment size as Sydney. So it may be a whole nation but on par with the population the Kings and United have in their cities.

Reply #519205 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They only play in Auckland
Has this always been the case? Other than them also playing in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville, Wollongong, Perth, Adelaide, Singapore, etc. Obviously.

I know they've played at least one pre-season game in Wellington. They bounced around various venues a lot in their first few years, and IIRC they weren't all in Auckland.

Reply #519211 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Having checked Wikipedia, they've also had home venues in Wellington, Christchurch, Manakau and Waitakere.

Reply #519217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In their first couple of seasons Breakers did play regular season games in other cities (who can forget the Mystery Creek Events Centre!). It was scrapped because it took a toll on preparation so they make sure now to visit other major cities of NZ during preseason to cater to those fans.

Reply #519218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any old timers left here? it seems like many fans on here can't remember anything about the league before a few seasons ago? new/young fans or a memory of a goldfish? Breakers entering the league wasn't *that* long ago

Reply #519220 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Long enough ago. I recall Shaun Redhage getting sacked by the Breakers!!!! So where's that coach coaching now?

Reply #519221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"and they are whoopin it up here at the Waitakere"

Waitakere is a nicer venue, Vector/Waitakere would be the ideal combo

Reply #519224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha Jeff Green and the texting scandal with Boucher.

Reply #519226 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Why are the Eagles called West Coast, they only play in Perth? It's because teams choose the name they feel will work best for them.

Reply #519227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

followed by Arsego *cringe*

Reply #519228 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

They were originally the Auckland Breakers but as Anon said, why alienate the rest of NZ by calling them Auckland being as the rest of the country hates AK.
All their home games have been played in either the NSEC or Vector under the current owners. Only pre season games are held out of Auckland, this I believe is to do with selling season tickets to members.

Shaun Redhage prob got away with 1/10 spin moves as a breaker, Bevo must have told him to save the spin for the dance floor

I remember average to poor atmospheres at Waitakere Trust and empty games at Manukau. Mystery Creek was a fail also.

The Green/Boucher text fiasco was terrible.

Wonder what Aaron Olsens up to these days?

Reply #519276 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It seems to work too - I deal with people all over NZ for work, and I know that they mention the Breakers to me a ton more than anyone in Australia ever mentions any NBL team.

If another NZ team entered the fray it would make sense to probably drop the "New Zealand" from their name.

Reply #519339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I live in Auckland and support the Wellington Phoenix, not sure how the name would alienate anyone

Reply #519343 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

As paul said, the teams call themselves what they think will work for them. The number of other teams with a potential claim to the geographic area embodied in a chosen name doesn't matter. See "Victoria Titans" entering the NBL in 1999 (kind of) when there was already another Victorian team that was in its 16th season of NBL.

Reply #519360 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

At anon two above, think of the term JAFA and that might shed some light on it. Never heard of a JAFW!

Reply #519362 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I live in Auckland and support the Wellington Phoenix, not sure how the name would alienate anyone
You've used a sample size of just you. The Breakers would be thinking of a larger number of potential fans, some of which may be put off by Auckland rather than NZ.

Reply #519377 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I generally don't like teams being named after a state, country or region (like West Coast for example). I definitely prefer city names. For me it gives a greater sense of pride for that team's fan base, that they represent your home town.

I'd prefer it if the Breakers called themselves Auckland personally, but I can see why they don't, and each to their own.

As for the Breakers, do they get fans from other towns/cities in NZ that make the journey to Auckland to watch a game? Im curious to know.

Reply #519405 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, they sometimes talk to people on the Sky broadcast who have come from outside Auckland to watch.

Where my wife is from on the South Island they almost all watch Breakers games and love chatting about it, but I'm not sure they'd be so enthusiastic if the team was called Auckland. There's a stigma there for some people.

Reply #519436 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Thanks for that. Well, if its working in their favour then it makes sense and I have no problem with that.

Still not a preferred name for me though - But I live in Perth, so I hate the Breakers no matter what their called!

Reply #519445 | Report this post

gumboot slinger  
Years ago

The NZ Breakers is a brand now
How many other ANBL teams have had a NYTimes article written about them ?

Reply #519483 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Why did they play the NZ anthem at the Semi last week? I get why they played the Australian anthem at an NBL final, but it wasn't an international game and Breakers aren't a national team?

Reply #519493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian anthem for an australian club, nz anthem for a nz club

Reply #519596 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I disagree.............the Australian anthem because it is an Australian League. The NZ club isn't representing NZ, they just happen to be based there - IMHO

Reply #519608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1/8th of the member clubs who constitute your league are from NZ. of course you play their anthem.

Reply #519611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If its an fully austalian league why is there more then one country participating

Reply #519614 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754