Anonymous
Years ago

How did Jordan Vandenberg bypass the NBL?

While this is related to SEABL partially I don't understand how a player who played summer league for New York by passed NBL rosters especially Melbourne who needed size and will ply his trade for Bendigo in the upcoming SEABL season.

As soon as he didn't make NBA roster why werent people doing whatever neasacary? He would of been a 3pt player as a college retunee too

Topic #36641 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

NBL summer league or not, he is kind of a big, slow dud. I can see why he wasn't picked up. He is a 10 minute per game centre in the NBL at best.

Reply #519428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus has a history of being difficult

Reply #519433 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He was a 5 & 5 guy in college and didn't make any impression in the NBA D-League, which are red flags. Of course, I don't know what sort of opportunities he got, D-League can be tough on big men.

Reply #519439 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Bcoz he still has a LOT of "development" to go

Reply #519444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't the Knicks go further than Summer League and actually signed him during Training Camp too?

As I understand it I think it was more strategic so it meant they owned his D-League rights.

Reply #519456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone on Twitter has reminded me of this Deadspin article about Vandenberg.

Hopefully he finds his feet with Bendigo.

Reply #519464 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

He reminds me of Chief from 'one flew over the cukoos nest'. No talent, just stand under the ring and be tall.

Having said that, I am sure there is a 12th man spot on some dud team like the Hawks for the kid. He will develop into a...... borderline useful 7 ft piece of styrofoam.

Reply #519479 | Report this post

gumboot slinger  
Years ago

Guy needs a mentor
Anstey get in his ear
Teach him the game

Reply #519480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB haters got too hate do they not ?

Reply #519492 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

Interesting comments from Jordan last March.

"I was recruited by a bunch of schools but I chose North Carolina State as it was best fit for me and one of the more highly rated schools I visited. Came to the US because there is not really much progression back home in Australia, and the National Basketball League (NBL) isn't really a stepping stone to go anywhere.'

Particularly if he's envisioning a year in the seabl as a path into the NBL?

Full interview:
http://pickandroll.com.au/tale-two-towers-part-1-jordan-vandenberg/

Reply #519503 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Way too funny.. Sums up a bloke that has genuinely only ever gone from team to team, rep bball to state ball to college ball - just enjoying life sitting on the bench

Reply #519520 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

From what I've read here this guy sounds like he won't even get to Ben Allen's level.

Reply #519543 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Wouldn't he of been better to of gone to Europe and chase some dollars.

Reply #519546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an all too common problem - too many kids coming back from the NCAA think they are above the NBL which is just not true. Vandenberg is in this boat.

This thinking needs to change.

Look at them in the league now (and there's more, but these are the obvious ones that spring to mind).

Corey Maynard (Bryant), Mitch Young, Lucas Walker and Clint Steindl (St. Mary's), Cody Ellis (St. Louis), Nate Tomlinson (Colorado)...they get treated like Gods for 4 years and then come back here and struggle to make a serious impact in the NBL.

That's not to mention the ones out of the NBL like Shane Harris Tunks (Colorado), Ben Allen (Indiana and Saint Mary's)

Reply #519547 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Maybe, since he's following this thread, he can use all your positive advice as motivation for a good SEABL season...

I hate to see big fellas waste their skills, here's hoping that he can use this as a fresh start...

Reply #519548 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

Let's assume he's following. The negative comments could be just as motivating, I hope he arrives in Bendigo with a point to prove. There's no doubt he has the physical tools to be a force.

Reply #519551 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

He already tweeted earlier that hes following this thread.I looking forward to watching him play and then we can judge him on his performance.

Reply #519557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he is getting import type money from Bendigo plus getting hooked up with a job its probably a better deal then any NBL non starter gig.

Reply #519574 | Report this post

buckets  
Years ago

The one thing that i got from reading all those posts was...………. Did Ben Allen seriously go to Indiana!

Reply #519576 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Ben Allen isnt even worthy of picking dingleberries from a decent basketball players ass.

Reply #519593 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ben Allen averaged 14 and 8 on the SEABL championship winning Pioneers last season. That's something.

Reply #519599 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Haha that's funny GWB/YouKnow/Me.

Reply #519610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was not welcome at the AIS and there where attitude problems along the way

Reply #519618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was recruited to the ais because he was "one of the best players in the country" haha

Reply #519621 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Yep it is Isaac. Ben Allen is a good SEABL but just delivered zero at NBL level

Reply #519637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL is a really good league.

Just ask Corey Williams.

Also, players like Shane McDonald, Simon Conn and Tim Lang are probably better off getting paid part time in that league and working full time and devloping their career after hoops rather then going full time in a league like the NBL which doesn't provide much stability.

Reply #519639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was at the AIS but had to leave on bad terms get your facts right 9621

Reply #519813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The one who has not got the facts right is 9813 iam sure a team like north carolina state would have rung AIS before he went there and if he was such a nutjob as you make out they would not have taken him.

Reply #519876 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754