Any thoughts?

Topic #36653 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

U20 is still not finalised yet - last round tonight

Reply #519783 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Are you going to provide your thoughts? I don't think the number of VC teams means a great deal, though it is great to see some of the smaller clubs well represented.

Reply #519784 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Proves once again how hard it is to make VC, I am guessing...

Reply #519786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah no thoughts, goodluck to all teams, round1 kicks off tonight!

Reply #519794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 at Geelong - 20 men already qualified

Reply #519822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A very interesting point from above is Oakleigh with 2 team in VC matching or out performing the likes of

Kilsyth
Frankston
Geelong
McKinnon
Ringwood
Waverley
Warrandyte
Whittlesea

Not bad for a club with less than 50 domestic teams to draw from. Compare that to the depth of teams and quality of facilities of clubs mentioned above and their considerably larger finances. What is Oakleigh doing right and the bigger clubs listed doing wrong? Especially Kilsyth and Frankston.

Reply #519869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Posting advertorials in online forums?

Reply #519875 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Someone on "Hoops Forum" continuously goes on and on about Oakleigh in so many different posts.Give it a rest.If they do make it to VC they become % boosters for the real teams. Haven't seen one Oakleigh team hold their own in VC!!!

Reply #519908 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

"Not bad for a club with less than 50 domestic teams to draw from."

Is this the sole place they draw their players from? Would be very rare if it was the case.

Reply #519911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 875 & 908, just so you know I am involved at McKinnon but know a number of people at Oakleigh. I have been "pushing their story" because it's a good basketball story.

Didn't realize this forum was just restricted to the bigger clubs perspective.

Anon 911 look up their website they have that number of teams. The reason I know some of their boys is because I coached them at McKinnon.

One of their current U18 boys was picked in a number 5 side with us,but then was cut from our rep program altogether the following season. He went to Oakleigh's tryouts and was promptly placed in their firsts who won VJL1 last season and now plays in their U18 VC squad (who beat Broadmeadows comfortably last night btw Anon 908.)

We have hundreds of teams they have 50. We have no teams in VC in U16's or U18's they have two. They have taken a kid we didn't even consider good enough for our rep squads and have him playing good basketball at VC level.

From what I understand they have had two VC teams in the past four years make the the top 10 in the state.So a tad inconvenient for your "hold their own" statement Anon 908.

I am a battling domestic coach who helps out with a rep team and who follows one of his ex-players closely, but i find it extremely interesting to see such a smaller club achieving such good results.

I would have thought that that is a great basketball story that should be above derision.

As a battling domestic coach I would love to discover how they achieve these results and get the best from their teams and players, compared to much bigger clubs such as my own.

Reply #519933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broadmeadows will struggle to win a game full stop in 18s.

Reply #519940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I went down 7 teams on the list and already found 2 mistakes (that I know of) so I gave up even looking at the rest.
Please get your facts right before you post stuff like this

Reply #519953 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

940 maybe you could pass me on th Tatts results 4 next week as well.

Reply #519986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oakleigh has Bob Mann, that's what they're doing right.

Reply #520182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is he?

Reply #520238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the McKinnon Poster, I think he/she would be well served to read the history of the McKinnon Basketball Association (MBA), or perhaps the current executive have deleted any reference to him.

Bob Mann founded the MBA. He has received a 15 year distinguished service award from Basketball Victoria. He was President, Head Coach, GM at MBA - you name it he did it. McKinnon had a lot of success in generating VC teams in his time there.

Unfortunately, IMO a collection of small minded and self absorbed and self interested parents decided that since Bob didn't select their child in the appropriate team (read No. 1 team for the age group) they banded together to hatch an agenda to oust Bob, the founder, a life member and 20 year servant of the club.

Don't get me wrong, Bob can be controversial, but what happened was disgraceful & unfortunately McKinnon was the loser and the results the McKinnon Poster above documents, are proof. Parents come & go all the time and Clubs need to be strong to resist the overtures of aggrieved parents.

Reply #520398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting politics, but I am more interested in what they are doing from a coaching or development perspective.

Reply #520542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bob is just a very passionate & good skills coach and asks his players to play to a few relatively strict game plans. This has all his players on the same page and he doesn't allow individuals to do their own thing against team rules.

Step outside of the game plan and you'll be benched.

There's also the spectre of instilling the desire to compete and having the right level of fitness to play at VC level.

If I had a child who wanted to improve their basketball, I would have no hesitation in swapping clubs just to have my child coached by him. He gets results.

To sum it up he is just a very good junior development coach and he gets his club's coaches to coach/teach the same way.

Reply #520657 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754