Anonymous
Years ago

NBL All-Star Five announced

(Mod: Jackson, Wilbekin, Childress, Motum, Conklin.)

Motum an All Star!! What a joke

Topic #36659 | Report this topic

Harry Hopeless  
Years ago

Just like you anonymous #36659

Reply #519820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Harry....wot a dork

Reply #519821 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I wish there was a way to stop stupid threads like this ever getting daylight. It's past your bed time. Go to sleep.

Reply #519832 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Ok, let's entertain the OP. Who would you propose as a more worthy alternative?

Reply #519834 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Well deserved if you ask me. He was a big part of the 36ers making the playoffs

Reply #519835 | Report this post

Rules for some?  
Years ago

His problem is inconsistency, yes main reason they made it to finals but some games he's way off like he's asleep at the wheel

Great talent - focus and consistency - average

Reply #519853 | Report this post

Devils Advocate  
Years ago

A fit Motum has a reliable shot and some great offensive moves but I don't like his loose hands and his ability to swing defensively and keep track of the switch of teams like NZ and Perth. He often leaves the back door wide open. Add Wilson who has the same issue there is your Sixers weakness. Everyone looks at offence but it is Defence that makes champion teams. Vukona Wesley and Ibekwe and occasionally Pledger only due to height are going to give NZ the championship and continue to dominate . BJ and Petrie and the newly aggressive DJ defence is the combo needed at Sixers to protect key. Having said this Motum at full speed is a beast running high % but the trade off is the D.

Reply #519855 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why not go all imports and give Ibekwe a gig in the 5.

Reply #519857 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Oh come on! I thought we had dealt with this on a previous thread...

Brock is a quality player, and put up some excellent performances before the wheels fell off Adelaide's season. And the rumor is he's playing hurt, having to manage the calf week-to-week. And a calf injury takes forever, especially if you're 6'10 and 240.

I'm guessing OP (#36659) is the OP of the 'Adelaide needs to cut Brock Motum thread...'

If you don't know what you're looking at, keep your mouth shut. All you've done is further convince us of your ignorance.

Reply #519860 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My All-Star Five was Motum, Conklin, Childress, Wilson and Jackson, I think he was the second best big in a slightly down year for NBL bigs.

Reply #519863 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anonz- you are incorrect. Not same poster and no mention of need to cut him just accept the trade off or fix it. I would keep him and work on fixing it. I do know what I am talking about. Have been following BM career for years and want to see him succeed and honesty and taking off the blinkers is necessary for players to achieve their maximum potential. Fix his defence and pair him appropriately and he will be unstoppable. In the finals rounds it was obvious he had no jump due to his injury so I won't judge those games. You are way too emotive.

Reply #519864 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

He was top 5 in points and rebounds, while shooting 52% from the field and 47% from 3.
That's All-Star any day of the week.
Only way he wouldn't be is if they only wanted 2 bigs and there was a standout small forward in the league. Then just Conklin and Childress get in. But there wasn't, so it's well deserved for Motum.

Reply #519884 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I have no problem with Motum getting the nod, I had him in the 2nd team.

But as usual, the selections make no sense;
Conklin at Centre???
TWO POINT Guards???
Childress? Whilst I agree he was the best player in the league when fit, he missed way too much of the season.

As for Blanchfield, there's a big difference between being most improve, and being the 2nd best in the league.

I think Gladness could feel a bit miffed at not even making the 2nd team.

Reply #519899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how is it that motum gets a gig here but is not ROY???

Reply #519913 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Blanchfield was better than Gladness this season, I had him in my second team: Ibekwe, Worthington, Blanchfield, McRae, Wilbekin.

Reply #519915 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So how is it that motum gets a gig here but is not ROY???
Played professionally elsewhere before this season.

Reply #519916 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

@Dazz

Firstly... Childress was far and away the best player in the NBL this season. Didn't play enough games to be MVP, but absolutely was All-Star 5.
The NBL isn't really a league that differentiates between PG and SG. And quite often will run 2 PG together. Adelaide do it, Perth do it, Wollongong do it. Fact of the matter is that the top handful of guards are PGs (Jackson, Wilbekin, Wilson, Gibson, Martin etc), and it would have been a shame if they gave McRae the starting 5 nod, over either of the 2 chosen, just because of classic positions.
Conklin, while classically isn't a C, between him, Motum and Childress, you have plenty of height. You could put Motum at C and him at PF, but really, doesn't make much difference either way. Like when we have DJ and Motum on together. Which one is the Centre?
You look at the second team, then consider the 3 things you have whinged about, would you rather Blanchfield be All-Star 5 over Childress? Would you rather Knight over Conklin? Would you rather McRae over Wilbekin? All 3 of those questions should be answered with HELL NO!

Reply #519931 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Perth don't HAVE 2 point guards to run together, and I have never seen them do that.

If the NBL is not going to name correct players in correct positions, then the whole concept is meaningless. They might as well simply release the "top 10" from the MVP voting. The whole point of naming a "team" is to name the best players in EACH position.
Besides, if you don't do that, then how can you possibly compare? How can you compare a defensive centre like Gladness to a scoring small forward?

In regard to McRae, there's a lot of bitchiness from Melbourne fans who seem to want to scapegoat him for their problems, but at the end of the day he was the top scorer in the league which is exactly what you want from your shooting guard.

As for Childress, there is no doubt he was the best player in the league, when he played. But I think you need to factor in total contribution over the year

Reply #519944 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBA picks two guards, two forwards and a centre for its All-League teams. The NBL I believe picks three perimeter players and two post players.

There's never been a rule that says you have to have a point guard, off guard, small forward, power forward, and a centre on each team in an actual basketball game. Why should there be for All-League teams? Those positions are becoming obsolete these days anyway.

Reply #519951 | Report this post

Unknown Bloke  
Years ago

How the hell did Conklin win MVP? He had to be all-star five, because his team won bugger all, so how was he valuable if they stank?

By the way, barely anyone hs mentioned Wilbekin.

My pick: Conklin, Childress, Wilbekin, Wilson and McRae/Motum.

MVP: Cedric Jackson because (if you noticed) when Jackson is in a NZ Breakers uniform, they win championships. The year he leaves, he go almost dead last.

Reply #524040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754