Anonymous
Years ago

Best Aussie juniors since 2003?

Really liking the look of a lot of our 18 to 20 year old juniors coming through in the men's Aussie basketball.

A majority of us know about Ben Simmons and Thon Maker, so I don't need to mention them.

From what I have seen (and please feel free to add any comments or correct me where you think I am wrong) these are the kids that I believe will be future Boomers.

Isaac Humphries. Reminds me a lot of Aron Baynes. Big, strong post player who has good foot work and great touch around the basket. Is his ceiling higher than Baynes'?

Kyle Clark. Looks like a Joe Ingles type. 6'7 3 man who can shoot the 3, good passer, good rebounder, reasonable handles.

Tom Wilson. Looks like a young Delly. Tom doesn't appear to be as good a shooter or passer (yet) but his PG skills are improving and seems to be quite quick.

Jack White. Reminds me a lot of a young Sam Mackinnon. Very well built, strong, quick, super athletic, great defender, drives hard to the rack. Can anyone tell me if he is a good 3 point shooter?

Jack McVeigh. I have no idea about this guy except that he is 6'8. Can someone give me some info on him?

Tanner Krebs. Appears to be a good shooter. Is he a 1 or 2?

Would love to hear from others on your thoughts.

Topic #36664 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

A quick rundown.

Humphries. 7 footer. Much higher ceiling than Baynes. Better than Bogut was at this age. He has NBA lottery pick potential.

Clark. Great 3-point shooter. NBL/Euro potential

Wilson. Improved a lot. Good athlete. Improving PG skills. Looks like an NBL guy

White. Good athlete. High ceiling. He's a good 3-point shooter, not great. Probably an NBL type guy

McVeigh is 6'7. Super skilled. Good athlete. Small frame. If he packs on some pounds then he's a potential NBA 2nd rounder

Krebs is a combo guard (more of a 1). Great shooter. NBL/Euro. Could be a fan favourite at St Mary's.

You also have Deng Adel, Harry Froling, Vasiljevic, Matur Maker coming through. A nice crop of talent

Reply #519917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for that.

Just on Humphries (I am by no means criticising the kid because I think he has huge potential) but better than Bogut at the same age? Really?

I have watched Bogut since he was 16 and whilst Humphries in bigger (not in height) Bogut was far more athletic, put on ball on the floor with ease (his handles were/are excellent) much better passer, better rebounder, better defender.

Bogut is a rare talent for his size.

How is Humphries better? (At the same age)

Reply #519920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You said since 2003? Thon maker is in the 2002 class!

Reply #519921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Much better than Bogut at the same age. I would say Humphries is more athletic than Bogut was at this age. And skill-wise, I think he trumps Bogut in most categories

Reply #519946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time will tell.....Just like Ben Allen was touted to be our best ever......

Reply #519976 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Do NBL clubs scout these players?

Reply #520103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure they do. But the NBL would be a last resort for most of these players.

Reply #520117 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Under 16 Nationals back in 2013 was dominated by 2 players in the male competition and they have already been named.

ISAAC HUMPHRIES and HARRY FROLING

Although Isaac has been written about here, back in 2013, Harry was a 6'7 player who could nail the 3!

Reply #520276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^But refuses to bang it inside!

Reply #520290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/03/04/3726381_next-cats-uk-target-maker-featured.html?rh=1

Reply #520303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac White is worth keeping an eye on. Led the National Schools Tournament in scoring as a Year 10 last year. Will be representing SA at the Nationals U/18s in April.

Reply #520711 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754