Anonymous
Years ago

Breakers playoff areana

Anyone knows why the Breakers are not playing in Vector arena during this playoff but a half size NSEC?

Topic #36669 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Vector was pre-booked.

Reply #520010 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Because its the NBL, that's why :)

Meanwhile Im waiting for the delayed TV coverage to start. With a delayed TV broadcast, I don't know why it was imperative to have the game played today if the Breakers couldn't get Vector arena. It would have been better if they had the game on Monday night, played it at Vector in front of 9,000 and Ten/One did whatever they wanted to do with the coverage. Probably delayed at 9:30.

Was really no point sacrificing a bigger, better arena because Ten wanted to play on Sunday - delayed.

This NBL season has really taken a dive since the playoffs started.

Reply #520015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haz next available date would've been Thursday if they can bump in in less than a day so realistically Friday would have been the next available and then everyone would've complained it dragged on too long

Reply #520022 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

@Haz: it was live in NZ, QLD, NSW, VIC, and ACT.

It was/will be (still hasn't started in WA) also on Channel Ten on a Sunday afternoon, which is better for catching channel-surfing eyeballs than One late on a weeknight.

Reply #520023 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, I prefer live with awesome atmosphere at NSEC than delayed from Vector. Good decision by the NBL.

Reply #520025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't beat watching hoops from a packed out small stadium going nuts.

Reply #520026 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I love the atmosphere at the NSEC

Reply #520029 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Fair enough. Glad that its live everywhere else, and I hope it rates well.

I have no problem with small venues for atmosphere. Just not for a grand final, when a bigger better venue that if available would have given it the finale it deserves with a big crowd.

And because I thought it was delayed across the country (I live in Perth so I'm watching it delayed) it would have been reasonable to expect the game to at least be played at Vector on a night that is was available. Since its live everywhere else however, and on a preferred Sunday, that point is no longer valid.

Reply #520035 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I imagine they had to hold the games on Fridays and Sundays to guarantee Ten's support?

Reply #520085 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

It was a great atmosphere Paul, but the court alone is an absolute disgrace by any professional standards, how many years and sold out games have they had in the stadium and not yet have upgraded the court.

Reply #520100 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The ball seemed to bounce off it alright.

Reply #520101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

camera angle from up in the roof
no 24 sec clock on screen
black uniforms with almost black numbers
amateurish production
colour commentator very ordinary.

This is the marquee game of the season?

At least the game was better then the production.

Basketball actually misses a big opportunity by not having a Best of 5 NBL final series and Best of 3 WNBL final series.

The WNBL product by the ABC is so much better.

Reply #520108 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Vector was pre-booked for a 3 day show called "Walking With Dinosaurs - The Arena Spectacular" which started on Friday and finished on Sunday.

Its a scenario like that why I am not all for the 36ers ever leaving Adelaide Arena for a new 18,000 seat indoor stadium in the city (not against having such a venue, just being the club being tenants). Having to work around pre-booked events is not a regular problem I know, but at least we don't have to put up with that.

Reply #520116 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Sydney have had the same problem, though only once to my knowledge. In 2013 they had to move a game to the State Sports Centre because of a pre-booked event at the Sydney Entertainment Centre that fell on the same day as a Kings home game.

Melbourne loses its two biggest venues for pretty much all of January due to the Australian Open tennis, though I'd imagine come finals time they would have use of Hisense and Margaret Court Arena's if needed.

I don't imagine the Wildcats would have this problem even though Perth Arena is Perth's major indoor venue. Same with Cairns and Wollongong.

Having yesterday's game at North Shore and not Vector shows either someone stuffed up the scheduling and didn't have the foresight to book Vector in advance (even if only tentatively) or it was inflexible TV scheduling that forced the move (I'd be betting on the latter).

Reply #520120 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Agree, ABC's production of the WNBL and the whole WNBL season was again of a decent standard, and they seem to always be on a shoestring budget too...

Reply #520123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched the NBL then straight into the WNBL coverage. The picture seemed closer and of a better quality on the ABC, it seemed better to view the game. Did anyone else notice this?

Reply #520134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree Anon, the camera angle at that Townsville stadium is awesome, provides a really good viewing on TV. Well down to Townsville for their event hosting as well.

Reply #520158 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Having yesterday's game at North Shore and not Vector shows either someone stuffed up the scheduling and didn't have the foresight to book Vector in advance (even if only tentatively) or it was inflexible TV scheduling that forced the move (I'd be betting on the latter)."

HoldenV8, there is no such thing as "tentatively" booking a venue like Vector Arena, it's either booked and your deposit is paid or it isn't and with a very expensive venue like Vector you aren't going gamble with your deposit money.

Reply #520159 | Report this post

^Agreed

Reply #520172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Melbourne loses its two biggest venues for pretty much all of January due to the Australian Open tennis, though I'd imagine come finals time they would have use of Hisense and Margaret Court Arena's if needed.

I don't imagine the Wildcats would have this problem even though Perth Arena is Perth's major indoor venue. Same with Cairns and Wollongong."

HoldenV8, I think you will find that the Wildcats lose Perth Arena for a few weeks around XmasNew Year due to the Hopman Cup being played there and I am also pretty sure the recent playoff game against Cairns could only be played on the Sunday because of a Guy Sebastian concert being held on the Saturday, which would have been booked well in advance.

I think Cairns also has to schedule games around eventsconventions that are held at the Convention centre.

Reply #520210 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I understand the difficulty that teams have with venue availability - especially with the playoffs, as they can't book the venue in advance in case they don't make the finals, and then risk losing a lot of money.

I remember way back in 1994, the Wildcats had to give up the Entertainment Centre for Game 1 of the Quarter Finals because of either Disney on Ice, or Torvill and Dean were performing that night.

Cats were forced to play at Burswood.

So this is a long standing problem for teams when its playoff time.

Its just a very unfortunate situation - and somewhat a sign of how basketball is perceived in Australia - that teams are forced to move to smaller, alternative venues for what should be their showcase event.

Can you possibly imagine the AFL, NRL or A-League having its showpiece finale played at an inferior venue because of a pre-booking!? Would never happen! But then there is also a greater number of outdoor venues too to cater for them.

Would be great to see a bit of loyalty from these venues as no doubt the NBL team would be the main tenant there throughout the year. I know, money is everything and that will never happen :)

Reply #520217 | Report this post

BlogBog  
Years ago

Haz,

Reason AFL & NRL never have that problem is because they have a set venue for their Grand Finals & essentially are permanently pre-booked according to the contract with the venues (MCG & Stadium Australia - I think).

As for the A-League, well they do have a problem with this depending on who is in their GF, though not quite to the level of NBL. Ie, if Melbourne Victory & Melbourne City get to the final the A-League want the game at Etihad however cannot due to it being booked for AFL (the reason the venue exists).

Unless the NBL decides to host a 3-game series at one venue & book it 12 months out, they will always run the risk of this problem with all venues, even Adelaide Arena should its current owners gain the ability to host other events.

Reply #520339 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

In a dream world the NBL would be rich and be able to compensate clubs for prebooking venues for playoffs!

As sad as I was about NZ winning the title (congratulations to everyone involved) the aspect that I found most annoying was that out of 9 potential playoff games the league only got 6 and whilst the Wildcats got $200 out of me for 2 seats I think it's sad that clubs couldn't host more games and risk the issues as spoken about above

Reply #520454 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:03 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754