Dazz
Years ago

Do "2nd Teams" help or hinder?

I've got no personal interest in a 2nd WA team, but it does raise an interesting question. There's some interest in another Melbourne team, I support the idea of a 2nd NZ team (albeit not from the same city) and in the past we've had 2nd teams from Sydney (and Even Adelaide IIRC.) In the BBL they opted for two teams from Sydney & Melbourne.

Naturally, when we first think of a 2nd team, we think of dilution in crowds, talent, and money. And I SUSPECT that in the case of a struggling league like NBL that will initially be so. However if you can get past the hump (however long and high that may be) does a 2nd team actually start to help?
I believe the NBL record attendance is STILL for a "Melbourne Derby." If you can get it happening, cross-town rivalry can be a powerful force. The advantage in a city like Melbourne is that such games can be moved to a bigger venue. It also attracts media hype and TV interest.
And for those not interested in the rivalry, there is also the propensity to watch "the other local team" play on TV.

I suppose the big question is whether a 2nd team ultimately halves the audience, or does it potentially double it? Again, I feel that in strong leagues (such as AFL) the effect is doubled (or perhaps more) There's no doubt that having 16/18 teams attracts a lot more people than say 8.
With the NBL, not sure...
Clearly all the recent incarnations of 2nd teams have failed.

Like a few things, I feel much will be driven by any potential TV deal. Again, with a strong presence (like AFL) more teams = more telecasts = more money. With the NBL, probably the opposite.

Topic #36681 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Pros and cons, and they vary on the timeline. I think in the context of an NBL discussion, specifics (e.g., particular cities) have to form the topic or it's a bit too vague to mean much.

Reply #520383 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

A Wellington team would be a great addition and a known Victorian brand eg. Dragons would also be great but brisbane is far more important than both.

Reply #520384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two teams in Perth wouldn't work. If you live here in Perth and don't understand then you are dumb.

Reply #520532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll help you out Dazz as you clearly don't understand league history and the reason for multiple clubs in the one city. Melbourne and Sydney have had two or more teams in the past due to the history of basketball there with the historical divisions created when clubs first entered the NBL from their respective state leagues and later had to amalgamate to survive. Hint: Westars vs Supersonics in Sydney with Sydney being more dominate in the merger than the westies who eventualy got another team of their own in the west and Tigers vs Giants vs Saints/Spectres and the local associations they represented.

Reply #520533 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:48 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754