buckets
Years ago

NCAA D1 Level Comparison

I was just wondering how the NCAA compares to other leagues in the world. My guess would be:

High Major D1- Normally a few NBA players on each team, standard probably close to a div 2 Euroleague side.

Mid Major D1 - Rarely NBA players on teams, still many future Pros. My guess is the standard is close to NBL but above SEABL.

Low Major D1 - Not many pros. Probably close to SEABL level or just below.

What do you guys think?

Topic #36746 | Report this topic

buckets  
Years ago

Should add that teams like Kentucky and Duke this year are probably competitive with the Euroleague D1 sides.

Reply #521597 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Mid major teams come over quite regularly and get smoked by state league level teams, be that qbl or seabl. Most college kids struggle against actual grown men. People get fooled by the results when they see college teams record victories against nbl teams, but usually that is just a few dp's and the off ringer.

Reply #521601 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would say the absolute top teams in college basketball would be competitive with teams in the NBL and good European comps, although none would match it with good Euroleague teams, the experience and IQ gap would just be too great.

Reply #521603 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I would say this years kentucky team would probably beat most of the NBL, they would be the second tallest team in the NBA if they were a team. I feel like they would just be too big and athletic.

Maybe your Dukes etc, might win a couple but in a series i think the NBL would win.

The rest wouldnt be a match, none of these teams have the skill or experience as a whole to match up

Reply #521620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your talking experienced men vs. boys no amount of talent can supersede that. Kentucky would keep it close but ultimately top NBL teams would win.

Reply #521622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

especially with college rules

Reply #521623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I couldn't see any NBL team wanting anything to do with the Karl-Anthony Towns and Willie Cauley-Stein combo.

Watching Cauley-Stein defend point guards full court and turn them every few steps then help weak side and block shots is kind of scary. Also, with the 2 headed monster the NBL refs are unlikley to get them both in foul trouble early.

Reply #521626 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

It was a while ago but remember Arizona (with Jason Gardiner, Channing Frye, Luke Walton) played Sturt ABL (+ Maher) and only just won that game. Don't underestimate young college players playing against seasoned men.

Reply #521633 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I'd take Kentucky vs any NBL team.

James Ennis was a low first round draft pick, and dominated our league, UK have 4 of those guys, plus 2 potential top 6 picks.

Also a college team at this point of the season with the players having an extra season of experience are a much tougher proposition than when they tour in their pre season.

Reply #521634 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ Breakers v Kentucky would be a super game.

Reply #521652 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I tend to agree with Paul's assessment of the comparisons.

Reply #521672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of people have a highly inflated opinion of how well a college team would do vs a pro team.

Obviously basketball novices who don't really understand the game.

Reply #521677 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

You are correct, but UK this season are different, every 2-3 years a college team comes along that could compete with any pro team not in the NBA or Euroleague.

Reply #521688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about UCONN and WNBL teams?

Reply #521691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be very interested in the wise Melbourne Boy's thoughts on UCONN v WNBL teams.

Reply #521692 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Don't know enough about the womens NCAA to make a comparison.

So then wise one, if the current UK team played the NZ Breakers in a 7 game series, games alternating home and away, what do you think the series result is?

Reply #521696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have no idea, I was seriously asking your opinion as you often say sensible, insightful things. I havent seen either in person.

NCAA looks fantastic as it is presented so well in HD.

NBL is done a complete disservice from the substandard coverage.

So I have no basis on which to assess either I am afraid.

Reply #521700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kentucky would throttle any NBL team. The Clint Steindls and Adam Cadees of the basketball world fill the NBL ranks. It would be ugly. Age / maturity only gives you so much of an advantage when you are so outmatched in raw talent and athleticism.

Reply #521753 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Considering the US national team beat New Zealand by 27, and the Breakers would be a similar standard to the TBs, I very much doubt Kentucky could "throttle" NZ. I imagine the US would beat Kentucky very comfortably.

Reply #521762 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

The Knicks just beat the spurs, they could win the title if they could still make the playoffs!... doesn't work that way.

If you held a family member of each dreamteam member hostage the day they beat NZ by 27, and said you gotta double their score, they would have.

Reply #521767 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What if you had a member of each of the NZ players' families hostage? But yes, it was a bad example because neither team took that game seriously (which BTW played into the US hands because it became a game of athleticism).

But the overall point is the NZ national team has been competitive with some of the best in the world, and given the Breakers are a similar level I very much doubt Kentucky could "throttle" them.

One team would have great athleticism, the other great experience and on-court chemistry. I'd back the former to beat the latter, but it would be a great contest to watch.

Reply #521770 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Wilbekin came to the NBL virtually straight out of college, and it was a very good program he was in. The NBL has some very good players and we play according to what we have and how the coaches adapt to the style of game here.

The best US college team at the minute (Kentuky) consists mostly of freshmen, who will only be there for one year then go to the NBA, therefore making this comparison difficult.

If we were to say that Kentuky could keep their best team together for a couple of years and get to about Sophmore or junior age, they would smash any NBL team you would like to send against them.

The NBL has possibly got size, maturity and strength in certain areas that would give them a chance against younger 19-20 year olds, but as Wilbekin has showed, if they play a college team of seniors that have the skill and athleticism of a Kentuky, it would be a one horse race IMHO...

Reply #521773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kentucky beats any NBL team. The league is made up of mid major type Aussie players and the odd American NBA reject. Tell me which NBL team would have a run at Kentucky? The first place taipans?? If you throw NAIA Gliddon, Weigh who couldn't finish two seasons with Utah, Loughton, and Burston at Kentucky's platoon system it would be a complete massacre. Wilbekin going to compensate for the rest of the team while sizing up with numerous NBA lottery picks? Some very inflated opinions of the NBL on this board.

Reply #521830 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you're showing a lack of understanding of what makes basketball teams work. The mix of talent, well-suited roles and on-court chemistry is the formula for Ws.

Cairns wouldn't have finished first in the NBL after the regular season if it was just based on talent and resumes.

Facing the changing defences of an NBL team would be a major challenge for a group of freshmen, no matter how talented, and the likes of Ibekwe, Vukona, Pledger, Abercrombie, Webster and Jackson wouldn't be intimidated by UK's athleticism.

As I said, NZ v UK would be a cracking game to watch.

Reply #521833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

753...oh dear.

New to the sport? Saw some college ball on TV and thought it looked cool?

Reply #521877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kentucky has played (and won) over 30 games together and are coached by on of the best coaches in basketball. They have gelled as much as any NBL team. They are bigger, more athletic and more skilled than Cairns staring 5, and that includes their second back up unit. The Tall Blacks might give them a game, but the Taipans (and any NBL team) would be laughed out of the gym. Fundamental misunderstanding of basketball and some misplaced nostalgia for Oz to think otherwise.

Reply #521888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

888, I'm sitting here watching Kentucky play today, and whilst they are absolutely destroying their opponent, my mind keeps drifting back to the idea that you have no basketball understanding whatsoever.

"Fundamental misunderstanding of basketball?"

Yeah OK.

Keep learning champ, you'll get there!

Reply #521956 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Kentucky has played (and won) over 30 games together and are coached by on of the best coaches in basketball."

Calipari coached internationally and struggled.

Reply #521982 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"They have gelled as much as any NBL team."

Thinking a team of 19 and 20 year-olds who have been together for either one or two years, can have gelled as well as experienced professionals who have played together for multiple years - a number of them internationally as well as NBL - is a classic "fundamental misunderstanding of basketball".

Reply #521983 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Same guys who prob thought Perth & Melbournes imports were going to dominate because of their credentials.

Reply #521993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. Yeah, Daniel Johnson and Clint Steindl, bonafide NBL all stars mind you, have an edge on Karl Anthony towns and Devin Booker, future NBA all stars, by virtue of being 25 instead of 19 and spending a few seasons lifting weights in facilities with coaches both of which are far inferior to Kentucky's. Absolutely embarassing thread. The NBL all star team would not make the NCAA final four. It's a fun league for Aussie basketball fans, but some posters are getting way ahead of themselves. Johnson and Steind never sniffed the pac 12 level, much less the SEC, yet they are all stars here. That fact says it all.

Reply #521995 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

OK, so tell us how Scottie Wilbekin and DeAndre Daniels' performances against the best college teams last year compare to their efforts against the best NBL teams this year?

Reply #521997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, Wilbekin and Daniels were the class of the NBL this season. Yet coming out of high school, neither were considered by Kentucky. Coming out of college, they were both NBA rejects, yet they have thrived in the NBL. Kentucky, composed of 14 guys who did get an offer to that school out of high school and at least 6-7 guys who will not only make the NBA but have solid careers there, is a team where Wilbekin and Daniels would not be in the rotation. What they would do against NBL competition is obvious, yet you can't see it through your Aussie glasses.

Reply #521998 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

As you become more desperate you are also getting delusional. You might have an argument about Kentucky this year as an isolated team playing an NBL team, but your comments about the final four show very little knowledge. Unless you mean the NBL All Star team would be playing 'all star' style?

Reply #522000 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Kentucky are going well, in their last game they dominated Hampton, who would lose to an Aba team. The reality is that they are beating up on other 18 year olds, not grown men. The reality is that a basketball players prime doesn't show up until their mid to late 20's. Do not underestimate the smarts that come along with that extra experience that is gained in those few years. Kentucky are a very good team, but they are the exception, it is once in a generation squad; once again they are an outlier not the rule.

Reply #522001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports might make the final four. But I would love to hear someone contend that the natural born NBL all stars such as Walker, Johnson, Steindl, Motum, etc, by the virtue of being 2-3 years "more mature", have somehow turned from mid major players to those that would contend for a final four against the likes of Wisconsin. You guys should hold the torch for Australia at the next Olympics by virtue of your blind patriotism / devotion to Aussie sports. It really is impressive.

Reply #522005 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul, Wilbekin and Daniels were the class of the NBL this season. Yet coming out of high school, neither were considered by Kentucky."

Daniels was the class of the NBL this season? Wow.

Getting back to reality, can you answer my question - how did the performances of those two players against the best NCAA teams last season compare with those against the best NBL teams this year?

While I'm at it Ill add another couple - what was the head-to-head between Florida and Kentucky last season and how did Wilbekin go in those games? How does that compare with his performances against Jackson in this year's NBL Grand Final?

Reply #522006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just visualize the warm up layup line for that game. Cadee, Steindl, Motum, Johnson, Oglivy opposed to Towns, Cauly Stein, Booker, and the Harrison twins. You're looking at a blowout waiting to happen.

Reply #522007 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So no answers to those questions?

Let me on know if you want me to leave the facts out of this, I'm happy to do that, I understand how they can ruin the fun.

Reply #522008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

15 points and 8 rebounds in the NBL v 13 and 6 at UCONN, where he never faced a team of the caliber of this year's Kentucky team. Paul, you must be one of the greatest basketball minds of this generation!

Reply #522009 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You didn't answer any of those questions and you couldn't even get the basic stats you quoted right! Please, keep going.

Come on, at least tell us how Wilbekin went against Kentucky (who apparently didnt even consider recruiting him) last season and what the head-to-head was.

Reply #522010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No need for the in depth research. What's obvious is obvious. Daniels had better stats in the NBL than he did in college. Wilbekin was a two star high school recruit, as were most NBL players who played in the NCAA. Here's a hint about basketball - Kentucky only recruits high end 5 star recruits. Enjoy your fantasy world. If only the Taipans could play in the NBA, they'd surely handle the Warriors and Cavs!

Reply #522011 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So if Wilbekin wasn't good enough for Kentucky, how did he go against them last season and what was his team's record against them?

Reply #522012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous, the most positive part of this thread is that you haven't put your name to any of your posts, thus saving you a lot of embarrassment.

Reply #522013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does it matter? He wasn't good enough for Kentucky. He wasn't good enough for the NBA. He wasn't good enough for high end Europe. He is good enough to be an NBL all star. Once again Paul, don't run from the obvious mate!

Reply #522014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting fired up about a hypothetical game that will never be played probably isn't the best way to win at life.

Reply #522015 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"What does it matter? He wasn't good enough for Kentucky."

I'd avoid facts too if I was you.

Florida were 3-0 against Kentucky last year, with two double-figure wins and a one-point triumph in the SEC Tournament Final. Wilbekin averaged 16p at 46%, 4a and just 1to, picking up SEC Tournament MVP along the way.

Reply #522017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah cause you win games in the layup lines.....
This reminds me of young juniors stepping up to men's for the first time and lighting at the old guys before game starts. Then getting beat by experience etc

Reply #522019 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Can someone tell me when Clint Steindl became an all-star? You kept referring to him as an all-star, or a "bonafide" NBL all star if you will, but I can't find any evidence of it? Also your constant Steindl references offer a nice college-professional comparison: he averaged 8 points his senior season of college, and 4 points his debut NBL season playing against professionals.

Also who's Adam Cadee?

Reply #522022 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Kentucky>the Dream Team by Anons logic.

Reply #522037 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Of course they are. You can't tell me LeBron James is better than Devin Booker just because he's a few years older. What did LeBron ever do against Kentucky anyway?

Reply #522041 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Can someone tell me when Clint Steindl became an all-star? You kept referring to him as an all-star, or a "bonafide" NBL all star if you will, but I can't find any evidence of it?
He played in the last NBL All-Star game as an injury replacement.

Reply #522048 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Oh that's right. From memory it was a fairly contentious inclusion though, with the suspicion being that because he was already in Adelaide for the 3 point shootout the NBL could save on an extra airfare.

Reply #522079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's keep up the fantasy! The leauge where Steindl is an all star is sound. They would challenge Kentucky and numerous pro teams!

Reply #522088 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Adam Cadee? Yeh, I've heard Jason's brother isn't that good. Would probably get smashed if he played Kentucky

Reply #522158 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:52 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754