Isaac
Years ago

NBL to delay free agent signing period

Smart move by the league:

The NBL will delay its free agent signing period until April 30 in a sign it is confident at least one of its battling franchises will remain on court next season.

NBL chairman Graeme Wade said last week Townsville Crocodiles, Wollongong Hawks and a possible expansion Brisbane Bullets franchise would have a "soft" deadline of the end of this month to confirm whether they would be entering teams in the 2015-16 season.
The NBL and the NBL players' association were concerned players would take lesser offers with the six clubs who are confirmed for next season and the best players at the Crocodiles and Hawks would be signed up before either club could offer them contracts.

Both the league and its players have agreed to a moratorium on player signings until April 30 to allow all clubs to put offers to players for next season.
Full story

Topic #36748 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Very smart move, and potentially bodes well for a 15/16 expansion team (if that's still on the cards).

Reply #521615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dean Parker said this would happen. Good to see common sense prevail.

Reply #521619 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I was just discussing this a couple of days ago.

It would have been interesting to see if Hawks & Crocs players jumped at the first offer elsewhere or not. I think there is a lot happening behind the scenes of both VAs & it would not surprise me if key players have been given a nod & a wink that their current positions & contracts were safe.

Reply #521632 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I'm glad my future isn't reliant on a nod and a wink

Reply #521646 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Also a Q&A with Graeme Wade was released on the NBL website, an hour after this announcement. Largely no new details and a bit of a puff piece. Nonetheless, I choose to take it as a sign that the NBL realises it needs to keep the fans and other interested parties informed and will continue to do so.

Reply #521648 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Does that extend to ALL free agents, including those in your team?

Reply #521661 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I believe you can sign players that were rostered under your team last year.

For example, Adelaide could re-sign DJ now but no other club can legally talk to or sign him until the FA period begins.

Reply #521665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm glad my future isn't reliant on a nod and a wink"

hahahahahaha

Reply #521666 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #521667 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I love it how they are still thinking about trying to push this Brisbane bid through for next season at this stage of the game...

Reply #521698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A smart NBL move... We are having a breakthrough.
What's next headline? NBL realise Sunday arvo games are rubbish!

Reply #521720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So true re: sunday afternoon games.

Sat night is the sheet focus back on those please.

Reply #521815 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Well if there is no TV coverage or a deal is made where the network will show games on Saturday night, then there will be no problems having plenty of Saturday night games.

NBL on Sundays = Channel 10 decision.

Reply #521837 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The season would take forever if games were only played on Saturdays.

Reply #521842 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Im not sure about Anon's post above mine, but I was not implying that all games should be played on Saturday's only.

Certainly the TV contract dictates when games would be played, but I hope there will be at least 1 or 2 games each week on a Saturday night next season regardless of TV.

And if there is no TV next season, then the NBL could still do the bulk of their games on Friday and Saturday nights, with occasional Sunday and Thursday games thrown in.

Reply #521843 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754