Years ago

travel violation / interpretation

hi can anyone explain what is different with the usa's interpretation of travel violation ? In certain circumstances a step seems allowed ?

Often I see a shooter receive a pass, step into stance with the ball, spot up for a shot after a step with the ball - shot fakes and breaks into a dribble - every day of the week here that should be travel ?

Topic #36749 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's a gather step as you collect the ball that's generally permitted over there - sometimes permitted here, depending on where you're playing

Reply #521627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure about NCAA or high school / AAU stuff.

In the nba an extra step on the catch and shoot or change of pivot foot won't be called if there is no advantage gained.

On a different note I think if a player like Harden joined the NBL out of college he would have been travel called out of the league as his lefty drives look kind of awkward, which is an immediate red flag for the refs to get whistle happy.

Reply #521628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 step layups, ie picking the ball up whilst 1 foot on the ground and then take 2 big steps. 3 counts. Lefties seem to get away with it more.

However do a jump stop and a step through and are likely to be called for a travel.

Reply #521631 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

3 steps are still illegal in the US, even if they are erroneously allowed often.

The rule explicitly allows for a gather step to allow for the discrepancy between how a dribble and running motion is synched (ie. did that ball bounce a split second before his foot hit the ground or after?). It removes the need for the ref to answer that ridiculous question.

FIBA needs to explicitly included the gather step in their rulebook because as it stands it is allowed 95% of the time anyway, and then 5% of the time some idiot ref blows the whistle.

Reply #521697 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Mick - have I read that right? You're effectively saying the rule is ridiculous and should be changed, then calling the ref who enforces the rule an idiot? Isn't that just saying refs should ignore how the rules are written and enforce what they think they should be? Or have I misinterpreted your post?

Reply #521780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIBA rules - on a player's first dribble: same foot same dribble hand is generally called a travel.

Reply #521783 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah I am.

Any good ref knows what is in the spirit of the game.

Eg. If someone slightly palms the ball in the backcourt while the defense is set up in a zone 10 metres away, don't call a carried ball. Some refs will blow their whistle here. Not in the spirit of the game.

Reply #521832 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

I think what Mick means is that where a "slight" travel (or is that a stupid phrase?) whereby the game is not really affected as much as a blatant travel in the key-way, then perhaps some leniency should be shown. Could ref call 'play to advantage' or similar?
As long as it goes both ways with consistency.

Reply #521840 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:30 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754