LC
Years ago

2015 BA Centre of Excellence Squads

With the beginning of the new year upon us, Basketball Australia's Centre of Excellence (CoE) has made some additions to both the Men’s and Women’s programs.

Meeting Your 2015 Centre of Excellence (AIS) squads

Topic #36778 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC - Out of interest, why has Abi already left the AIS as he is going to college next year while Krebs, McVeigh and Blagojevic are in the same situation regarding college and still have had their scholarships continued?

Reply #522294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great read, well done. I'm always interested in the up and comers in australia.

One player may have been missed as the seabl website also lists Alex Bunton (coming back) at the CoE this year.

source; http://www.seabl.com.au/index.php?id=257&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=10050&cHash=c70c6b1bd4

Reply #522296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of the womens write ups mention an Australian U16 team. Something new or should this read U17?

Reply #522297 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Australian U16 teams played in Churchill (Gippsland) in 2012, part of a FIBA Oceania thing.

Reply #522311 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the U16 is the qualifying event for the U17 WCs.

Reply #522345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abi will be going to Denver later this year anon. From what I hear the AIS didn't develop him as a 3, they persisted in playing him as a post player. At his height (6'4") he isn't going to cut it as a 4 or a 5 in college so he pulled out of the AIS to improve his development as a 3 stretch 4.

Reply #522350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it a little strange that players like Elyse Penaluna and Katie Ebzery are in the program.

Katie Ebzery already spent 3 years there and is 25 and one of the best players in the wnbl. I thought she would have been off to chase some money in Europe like Abby Bishop did after the wnbl season finished.

Reply #522351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Anon above was correct, Abi is preparing for his move to Denver - I can't attest for the other things mentioned, although I wouldn't be shocked if they were true.

The FIBA Oceania U16 event is the qualifier for the FIBA U17 event in 2016.

And the older girls have always been a part of the program: 1. To make the SEABL team more competitive. 2. They're usually future Opals/Pros (Some of last year's CoE women got drafted in the WNBA draft)

Reply #522354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regarding world 17s in 2016.Is it under 17 as of 1st January or can you be turning 17 in 2016?
As for players like Glover and Cherry from NSW when can they get a gig in something before they head to USA in 2016 or 2017?

Reply #522358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The next U17 campaign (2016 FIBA U17 World Champs) is 1999/2000 players. So Glover and Cherry aren't eligible. They're those that are too good for their associations but not good enough for national representation. A tough place to be

Reply #522362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glover and Cherry will get their chance in the 2017 U19 Worlds.

Abi has already gone to Denver on a 4 1/2 year scholarship.

Reply #522387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Despite having a kid that is in the mix, I can't get my head around the age groups and the cut off dates.

Reply #522389 | Report this post

buckets  
Years ago

Kyle Clark didn't get a scholarship?

Reply #522394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cut-off dates are pretty simple.

2013 FIBA Oceania U16 & 2014 FIBA U17 World Championships was 1997 & 1998 kids.

2015 FIBA U19 World Championship = Cut-off age is 1996-born kids

2015 FIBA Oceania U16 & 2016 FIBA U17 World Championships is 1999 & 2000 kids.

2017 FIBA U19 World Championship = Cut-off age is 1998-born kids

Reply #522397 | Report this post

Years ago

I think the confusing thing is in aust - you can not turn the age of the grade during the year.
From what I read above - in worlds you can turn that age that year.

Reply #522399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ That's correct. In AUSTRALIA U12, 14, 16, 18 or 20 means you you cannot you cannot turn 12, 14, 16, 18 or 20 in the calendar year of that tournament.

At International level U17 or U19 means you can turn 17 or 19 in the calendar year of that tournament.

Reply #522495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regarding the ages I mentioned above you can be younger by any amount of years. So you could be 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 or 19 for this year's FIBA U19's. Of course you have to be good enough.

AS an example - Isaac Humphries & Harry Froling could play in the 2015 U19 World's as 17YO's and would still be eligible for the 2019 U19 Worlds. But they are also eligible for the 2015 U18 Nationals.

Reply #522497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Kyle Clarke was offered a COE scholarship but declined it. Also, he has signed to go to St Mary's later this year.

Reply #522498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, it's u17 or u19 in the year of QUALIFYING I believe. Thus making it 17 & under or 19 & under for the actual world champs.

Reply #522524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good if you are born in 99 or 01.

Reply #522529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be held every year, then there would be no confusion and kids can qualify every year!

Reply #522536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's face it the CoE isn't what the AIS used to be. It is nice on the resume but it isn't always the best option to take is offered.

Reply #522546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your kid missed out I guess?

Reply #522549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope just stating facts.

Reply #522560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of reasons why some kids who you would think would be their aren't, some have better opportunities to develop staying where they are, some want a better education, at the end of the day as long as the athlete is getting the development they need it doesn't really matter where they go just CofE athletes generally get first dibs on national teams

Reply #522577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame your kid missed out.

Reply #522581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

522581........ Mines been and gone lol, so nope it's a fact some kids actually don't want to go for lots of different reasons some who do go do not develop as well as if they had stayed at their home arena, others thrive, it's very very individual, and it's not the end of you do or don't go THATS what I'm trying to say.
Looking at some of the girls up there now, the associations they have come from (not talking about the WNBL women) they don't have a lot to offer if they stayed there so Cof E is a good opportunity, swap that to the boys and some who have chosen to go to college early will get more benefit from that than choosing CofE now.
But you cannot ignore the fact that if an athlete is already at the institute they are 10 times more likely to get a spot in a national side than the ones who don't go, they are after all under the daily watch of the selectors.

Reply #522593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the good humour!

Reply #522611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will predict that anon 549, 581 and 611 is the same individual. That being the case I think it is people like you that make the rest of us feel quite comfortable with our kids decisions, no matter what they are.

Reply #522612 | Report this post

Your mum  
Years ago

I bet if Jock Perry was 6 feet tall, he wouldnt be making shit.

Reply #524041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Comment uncalled for

Reply #524054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But he isn't 6'0, he's 7'1. No use wasting time with those sort of what ifs.

Reply #524055 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754