buckets
Years ago

NBA DRAFT- Any Aussies?

Will we see anyone drafted this year? I'm pretty sure we won't have any 1st rounders but will any Aussies have a chance to go in the second round?

Topic #36782 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simply put... No. A pretty poor year for Aussies in college hoops - as far as talent goes

Reply #522398 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I disagree that it was a poor year by the Aussies in college hoops!

Senior Greenwood had his best year but was never really an NBA prospect - All-MWC Third Team

Senior Jeromie Hill was outstanding - All-C-USA First Team

Senior Sam Rowley had his best year - All-America East First Team, All Tournament Team

Senior Dan Trist could not have had a bigger year, earning unanimous All-Patriot League First Team selection and All Tournament Team. He was just a vote or two away from Player of the Year honours.

Junior Venky Jois was huge for the Eagles - All-Big Sky First Team, All Tournament Team. Returns for his senior year.

Junior Peter Hooley missed 8 games but was named All-America East Second Team, All Tournament Team - Most Outstanding Player. Returning for his senior year.

Junior transfer Majok Deng was named All-Sun Belt Third Team in his first year of D1 hoops

Emmett Naar emerged to be named All-WCC Freshman Team

Xavier Cooks was also named to All-Big South Freshman team

Anthony Drmic's season was derailed by injury - he will be back.

Of the current crop, Jois and Drmic are the most likely to be an outside chance ta the NBA right now.

To say this season was disappointing for the men in college is plain wrong. Was there Aussie talent destined for the NBA draft this year - no.

Reply #522400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You look at where the Under 19s finished in 2011 and it gives you an idea. These guys are the same age as Mitch Creek - Creek is having a solid pro career in the NBL - need to see if the others can now make the jump.

Reply #522402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You look at where the Under 19s finished in 2011 and it gives you an idea. These guys are the same age as Mitch Creek - Creek is having a solid pro career in the NBL - need to see if the others can now make the jump.

Reply #522403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Drmic had stayed healthy and had a good season then he would have been the only one. Since he redshirted and will be back again he is a chance second round pick next year.

Next year's draft could have Simmons, Maker, Jois and Drmic. And a who knows with Bolden and Adel.

I think his NBA offseason for Aussies will be more interesting to see what happens with Broekhoff a legit 3 and D chance and then Motum and Goulding.

Reply #522406 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I think Drimic would have to have a very good season to even get drafted in the 2nd Rd.

Won't he be 24yr after next season?

I think teams would overlook him due to his age.
I could see him getting a summer league invite and then impressing if give a chance.

If he is fit enough to workout for teams this year he may have been better off finishing his college career this season and trying the summer leagueD-League rout to the NBA a year early.

Reply #522410 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

I don't think it's his age that will count against Drmic, Delly was 23 and Baynes and Ingles were both mid 20s. If Drmic is good enough he might get drafted but more than likely he will end up in Europe.

Reply #522411 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I am not saying he can't make the NBA, I am saying that teams are unlikely to use a draft pick on him, partly due to his age.
So yeah he will have to what the 3 players you mentioned did and either impress in the NBA Summer League or in a different comp, D-League or Europe.

Reply #522413 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Not likely to be any draftees this time but still an impressive college crop with Drmic, Jois all potential future boomers

Reply #522416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Currently, I think Broekhoff has the highest chance of making an nba roster.

Reply #522450 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Broekhoff would be a good pickup as a 3&D player IMO. Maybe another year in Europe to show this season was no flash in the pan?

I personally don't think Goulding has enough tools to make it in the NBA - he only has his shooting which, pardon the pun, has been a bit hit and miss this past season.

As for Drmic, he would have to have a blinder to get in a look in late in 2nd round NBA draft next year. Hope he does but Europe beckons given he had a dual passport and can play as a local over there like Broekhoff does.

Reply #522461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broekhoff averaging 50% fg shooting, 44% 3pt shooting, 85% ft shooting, around 11 pts, 2 assists and 6 rebounds. Add a high iq, good defense and low turnovers.
That's some really good numbers...

Reply #522493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A poor year doesn't stop LC from commenting on some ordinary talent who we will never hear from again... Haha the posts on this site make me laugh

Reply #522858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ordinary talent? Who?

Reply #522867 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754