HO
Years ago

BigV Competitions - Long Term Loss/Win Records

Can't sleep, so wandering through BigV results.

Melbourne Tigers Women got beaten by 75 on the weekend by Hume City, 105-30 (Champ Women).

Fortunately, unlike this scenario, they did not have more turnovers than points. (30 points but only 19 turnovers).

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/36776-big-v-historical-records-regarding-turnovers-and-p/#p522946

Melbourne now have an 0-3 record and a percentage of 53. Sherbrooke 0-3 (59%) and Warrandyte 0-4 (much better at 69%).

Checking historical records and Sherbrooke are a long term problem for the league.

2014 (4-14) 81%
2013 (2-16) 81%
2012 (4-16) 84%
2011 (4-17) 77%

Melbourne's last winning season was 2012, when they were minor premiers. Since then they have fallen away badly.

BigV do a good job publishing their historical records btw (http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-7930-0-0-0)

I am not bashing Sherbrooke or Melbourne and don't want to.

I sort of want to bash the league but am trying not to.

I am better off asking some questions.

How does the league deal with this - I presume they have not just demoted Sherbrooke because they need sustainable numbers in their top league and each year they appear to have multiple under-performing teams (so who do you demote?).

Similarly, what sort of decisions is the club making and should it be making? What sort of damage is this doing (in Sherbrooke's case) to their long term aspirations as a women's program?

Topic #36806 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league don't have a legitimate promotion/relegation process.

Until they do teams can basically camp in what ever division they like without having to justify it on performance..

Reply #522956 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

An answer may possibly be relegation, not necessarily promotion.

The problem is not that, its unsustainable performance in this instance.

Reply #522959 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

A proper Promotion/Relegation system. Not the mickey mouse one they have now.Creates interest at both ends of the ladder.

Reply #522973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think in a lot of the leagues you are seeing a HAVES and AHVE NOTS scenario. If team/clubs don`t have a budget to compete with the others they struggle. Sure there is some exceptions where coaches may have good relationships or contacts and be able to get players to a club. As a whole though no cash seems like its no wins.

Reply #522974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My understanding, and I will stand corrected, is that the State Champ league is a different competition to Div 1 Div 2 etc. I think there is relegation and promotion in Div 1 and Div 2, but not up and down from State Champ. I also think you can apply to move up and down Div 1 and Div 2 as well.

From what I gather. to get in to State Champ you have to apply, to get out of State Champ you have to effectively request. Some get in, some don't, but in recent years my understanding is that those who have applied have got in, as HO points out, simply because they need the numbers.

Melbourne's SCM have not fared much better in recent times (2014 2-22, 2013 3-17, 2012 3-17). To me thats the more interesting one with noises about SEABL.

Back to topic, Warrandyte can sort of be excused so far this season because of their opposition so far, Sth Pen, Hume, Bulleen and Ringwood, but the big question certainly seems around Melb and Sherbrooke.

I can't even find Sherbrooke in the Div 1 and Div 2 stats pre 2011, so can only assume the went straight from not having a team to going into SCW.

In Melbs case their VJBL programs success is undoubted. So the problem is getting kids to move up and play. From their 18s last year, 3 have moved to Nunawading YLW (although it didn't help them much last weeked against Melb), but the real problem is Sherbrooke.

Their 18s are in regional 1, 16s East 2, 14s East 4, its fair to say none will ever play State Champ, so where are they going to get players from in future?

Good topic HO, you can't sleep? Might I suggest a pill!

Reply #522975 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Happy Days, promotion does not fix this in my view. The best team at the next level may not be able to step up.

This to me is about the single issue of long term non-performing teams.

522975 suggest Sherbrooke were put straight in Champ Women - is that right?

It looks to me like the voluntary (application based) promotion has worked really well in the Champ Women this year - SP seem competitive.

Reply #522977 | Report this post

Char  
Years ago

Great topic! Love seeing this sort of discussion

Reply #522979 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

I agree that a strong promotion/relegation policy needs to be in place, don't think there is any other way to do it however, I think the promotion side of things needs to be application based.

That being said, the hardest part IMO will be getting teams to move up, I am under the impression that SP were the only team wanting to come up to SCW this year? So it is hard to relegate two teams when only one wants to come up.

Reply #522982 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The focus of a team that gets promoted is in year 1 to avoid relegation and then build from there.Let clubs find there own space.All AFL metro and country leagues are moving into that structure that havent already.It works very effectively and is clear cut.Clubs have far too much say in Big V and they need to move to an independant board.

Reply #522991 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

How long have the AFL leagues been running P&R HD?

(i think you are solving a different problem BTW).

Reply #522995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, I looked at the year prior to 2011 which was Sherbrookes first year in SCW, and in 2010 they don't appear in SCW, Div 1 or Div 2 so I can only assume that Sherbrooke didnt have a senior womens team in the Big V competition in 2010.

Going through the history, they had a team in 2006 in D2W that went 0-20, nothing 2002 to 2005, and nothing 2007 to 2010.

So you could question why they were let in in the first place given their history, or lack of it?

Reply #523007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Sherbroke came into BIG V they went straight into state champ for both sides. I recall both teams having a large amount of Kilsyth players in it.

Some previously mentioned that there juniors struggle. They put in a youth team this year, perhaps dropping into D1 would have been a better option. Also the fact that they use imports in the mens, why not use two in the womens.

Side note isnt the guy who runs Sherbroke on the board of the BIG V?

Reply #523016 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Thanks. If they put a team straight into Championship like that and it performed that poorly then that is a pretty big WOW moment for the league management.

You say it is their first year in YLW as well - 0-4 so far!

Reply #523017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find Sherbrooke men were in Div 1 from about 2006, then elevated to SCM in 2010, a year before their women came in.

Reply #523018 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Promotion/Relegation varies depending on which league as there are so many in Melbourne metro.Lets face it, most teams know at the halfway mark whether they will make playoffs and the rest go through the motions.If you know you could possibly be relegated its a totally different ball game. I know of one team that got promoted to the top division and got to the last game needing to win to stay up. Ending up winning the game, biggest crowd for the season and partied like they won a grand final it meant that much to them.Two years later played in a Grand Final.

Reply #523019 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sure, but getting a big crowd doesn't solve the problem.

The problem in the BigV SCW might be solved by relegation, in that it would leave the competition a little smaller and perhaps talent could be redistributed. Perhaps the problem is he league is too big. Perhaps the problem is the league has just made poor decisions in the past as it sought to grow this competition.

I doubt strict promotion would solve it, as the step up to Championship i think needs to be planned and managed over a few seasons, and therefore should be a negotiated thing - which it seems apparent SP have done.

But there are two parts to my questions. One is about how the league can help...

- should it announce now it is reducing SCW to 8 teams in 2016
- should it announce now that it is setting new criteria valid from 2017 forward about participation in SCW (things like standard of performance of junior teams, coaching affiliation expectations etc)
- should it have taken Sherbrooke aside at the end of 2014 and said you only have a place in 2015 if you can assure the league you are having two imports....

The other is about what the club can do...

- reset its own expectations?
- seek to drop down a level (or 2)
- make a commitment to new talent
- make a commitment to clean out old talent (I have no idea who plays for them)
- Bring in a well respected and capable Head Coach and give them a three year brief for women's basketball?

etc.

Reply #523023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not strict promotion relegation

Reply #523034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ 034 good question but for me the distance in standard between Div 1 and SCM or W is just too great.

Warrnambool D1W was a good example a few years ago, had some very good years winning Div 1 titles 05, 06 & 07 and people screaming they should be promoted, 2008 they came last in Div 1 and were relegated to Div 2. So not in all cases does auto relegation work.

Some will say that the best Div 1 teams will beat the worst SCW teams and that could be right, but could the best Div 1 teams be competitive, ie middle of the road or better. Sherbrooke certainly aren't, although I suspect in their instance it wasn't only the roster that was the problem the coaching had a fair bit to do with it.

Saying hey no problem we'll get 2 imports isn't the answer, the program has to sustain itself from the ground up, and that isn't happening at the moment which makes you wonder why they put in a YLW team. I ask again, where are the future players going to come from? Forgetting 20's, they have 15 VJBL teams and only 1 in metro (16 boys Met 3).

Reply #523037 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Everyone just says promotion/relegation. Tell us how you think that would fix the problems - might be good for you to give us your thoughts on what the problems are in the first place.

Reply #523040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, please get some sleep will ya!

Reply #523041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone must keep saying it for a reason HO...

Reply #523045 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Soon, promise. Got a day off as well so really shitty that I couldn't sleep!

Reply #523047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is certainly one of the better and intelligent posts of late that hasn't yet been hijacked with someone saying you or your daughter got cut deal with it or slagging someone off, and certainly better than the never ending Jess from Forestville post.

Reply #523054 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I think there are many areas of improvement the Big V can embark on, and yes the system of team acceptance or competition itself is one of those.

Not so sure though that they are not already taking the steps necessary to make it a better competition. What do we actually want, do we want it to be more even or do we want the Big V to be more popular, have a better reputation or more prestige?

It can improve, no doubt, but how broken is it really?

Reply #523063 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yes, that is a double negative, hope it doesn't throw anyone...

Reply #523064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well after seeing a so called round of the week SCW game on the weekend im not so sure the gap to D1 is that big...

Awful contest.

Reply #523084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ 084 which game?

Reply #523087 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

Well I wasn't sure if I should jump in and shouldn't say too much but as I'm on these boards every day or so and as my girls were mentioned I'll throw a few things to consider into the ring. As coach of the u18 1 Girls at Sherbrooke I can say the main reason for both u18 teams in Regional this season was basically the product of not picking teams until the 2nd grading stage then splitting the 2 teams evenly in talent and age (Please don't start guys I know I know, not my decision but not going to get into it here) Before the split they were on their way to VJBL 2 if not higher.
Now when it comes to the Youth league Girls, as a first year in I know it was the idea to begin to give girls a much needed pathway to keep them at the club, as most of you from smaller clubs will know this is the main problem being a feeder club. Having lost a few stronger girls to other clubs at the start of the year the hope will be to hang onto a few in the future. I think you will find the YL girls will improve quite a bit over the next couple of seasons.
This of course leads to the SCW who are as usual playing without imports and up against the wall nearly every week, but having been to all of the games this season I can say that the main problem would be Depth, once this is settled I suspect they will be much more competitive. Also to add is that new Coach Brian Vaughn has been very good from what I have seen, seems like he has quite a good basketball IQ and looks like a big step in the right direction for the program. This topic may well be an interesting one to look back on in a couple of seasons.
I realize I was slightly off topic here but to circle back around should we have a relegation system of some sort? Well that's not my place to answer but it may be something worth looking at in the future to make sure teams are always pushed to be as competitive as possible.

Reply #523089 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Baller6 glad you didn't say too much. I got bored and feel asleep half way thru your post.

Reply #523096 | Report this post

Develop Your Own  
Years ago

Baller6 good insight into the club's thinking, but the problem is even if you did make met 2 or so, none of them are likely to be good enough to play State Champ Women. Sorry but that's just a reality. I know SCW is not the best standard in the country (and way from the worst either) but a bunch of young met players will never make you competitive at SCW level.. Good on you for having the dream but I wonder if dropping down might be a better pathway or unfortunately the club will have a life time of the results they have had in the last 4 years.

Reply #523098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely HO has had a cat nap by now :)

Reply #523102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other issue with placing your senior teams in a level too far above the standard of your junior program is very few of your juniors ever progress into the senior team and you're forced to recruit from outside which costs you more money then feeding juniors into those teams.

Reply #523104 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

Yes all good points above, and I guess if you can at least aspire as a club to at least field senior teams with a few kids that are home grown shouldn't that be the goal (but there we go again getting into the paid talent vs home grown argument). And once again real question is how does BIGV decide who plays SCW/D1/D2 etc and should clubs get a say in the matter or should it be solved by relegation or some other form of selection?

Reply #523119 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Should Sherbrooke drop down to D1 and have 1 import for each of the mens and womens programs and focus on development?

Reply #523127 | Report this post

Shrek  
Years ago

What is the real problem here?

Can players improve playing in the League?
Lack of talent from the VJBL coming through?
Getting one or two imports? Or none?
Or trying to grow a club that the local community is committed too and juniors want to aspire too?

People like to have a look at the smaller clubs, but look at the stronger SCM's teams too. The Sherbrooke VJBL teams were listed. What about Corio and Ringwood. Where are their teams in VJBL world.

Can more money buy wins and premierships? What is the long term planning of BigV clubs and their VJBL junior teams. Are they really interested in developing their own talent?

If you have relegation in the BigV you are more than likely going to lose your better players who just want to play in SCM and SCW. Just like you have when better players leave smaller VJBL Clubs to play VC and bigger clubs.

Younger VJBL players need to see a pathway for them to be able to play senior ball at their club, so do the coaches!!

Talent needs to be nurtured.

Reply #523131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what i've seen if you have too few juniors progressing into the senior teams you get inwards club fighting and resentment towards the cost of funding the senior program that has little to no benefit for their juniors.

The whole premise of a senior team was to provide pathways for your graduating juniors i would have thought.

Id suggest ego has a lot to do with teams persisting with staying in divisions above their ability..

Reply #523134 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Man did I sleep well.

Reply #523137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some really good points made.

Sherbrooke SCW and Corio Bay SCM are really the same. I would ask (because I dont know), how many juniors are playing in either of those two teams?

Corio's 12s are met 2, 14s regional, 16s met 3 and 18s met 2. Their YLM are in div 2, so the question is, how many of them will ever play SCM for Corio Bay? If the answer is none, why have the SCM team, whats the point? People rabbit on and on about 'the pathway', yet some clubs make it impossible because the gap between their junior and senior programs is too wide.

Ringwood is not far off Corio IMO, 16 boys in VC, the rest at least are all in metro, with a VYCM team. At least they have a number of former juniors playing in their SCM team, but not too many seem to be breaking in of late and are now recruited over the top of.

So again, whats the point?

Reply #523138 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Bear, here is how broken it is.

You have a team that has 14 wins in four seasons and might end up with 14 in five, or generously, 18 in five - all of this in the top league (it might be forgivable in D2). And this while they (the league) have grown the competition they play in?

And now it seems (as revealed here) that the team was never promoted, just 'placed' into this division - calling into question the leagues decision making and actions over a five year period.

And there seems to have been no intervention, positively or negatively.

Reply #523139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a reason why they don`t run with imports in the womens at Sherbroke given they use two in the mens?

Can see a player in their stats this years Timmermens is doing pretty well, surely if they had two decent quality imports around that they could build a solid main three. Coaches could then recruit young players or develop the current group to build around that.

Reply #523150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you start to talk Juniors you then get into the argument about what constitutes a club "junior"...

Some clubs will claim a player as one of theirs after only 1 VJBL season at some point between U12 and U20's.

For me personally it should be as a minimum 2 consecutive seasons prior to advancement to the senior team.

Maybe BigV need to bring in guidelines for team local content with say 80% local content for YL/Div 2, 60% content for Div 1 and 50% content for SC.?? Or something similar?

It would force clubs to work harder to retain and develop their talent and equally force players to remain loyal to their program..

Reply #523151 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

I think the VJBL issue is, somewhat, irrelevant as you only need 3-4 players a year to keep your depth - would people agree?

Also the power VJBL clubs produce more good juniors than they have spots for in their Big V or SEABL teams. This excess does filter to other clubs. So you could, as a number of clubs have this year, pick up players who are looking to play seniors plus there are always people wanting to move.

Yes I agree with promotion and relegation but I'd also like to see only two levels. Championship and Divisional.

Put 16 teams (2 conferences) in Championship and 16 or more in conferences into Divisional. Have promotion & relegation each year, say 2 up 2 down, and then build your competition. New teams come into Divisional via MMBL or YL depending on how you do it but they must prove themselves.

Yes, there will be some blowouts but we should see players improving, juniors looking to join Champ teams and Champ Bench players moving down to play Divisional.

Just an idea.

Reply #523152 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Legislating player content won't work. It's like the NCAA saying you need a certain team grade point average. They teams have 8 players and 4 who never play to ensure they make the GPA.

Imports cost money and not every club can afford it. Some Div 2 teams have imports but it doesn't mean they'd compete in Champ?

Not sure short term fixes are necessarily the answer, there needs to be some longer term development.

Reply #523153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn`t call the Division Two imports anything like State Champ imports, clubs having imports on Work holiday visa as a opposed to state champ sides who have recruited a specific player on a Sports visa.

Reply #523175 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So, much harder question, and perhaps the very brave Baller6 could answer... how many of Sherbrooke's current crop of SCW girls would meet a local content requirement of having played at least 2 seasons previously with the club?

Reply #523198 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

HO that's not something I could answer accurately atm and at a guess I'd say maybe only a couple would fit that criteria. I do know that a few of the girls coach and are quite active in the club which is great. I guess the main thing is that they are now actively trying to prevent the loss of young talented girls to other clubs, which should over time help to make sure that there is a decent presence of home grown talent at the higher levels. Look like any club out there it has its share of problems but I can tell you that on the woman's side they are at least taking real steps to try and move the club in the right direction. In no way could I confirm but I would not be surprised to see an Import or 2 by next season for the senior girls as well.

Reply #523306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a broad collective pool of players there's enough talent across the league.

Although you could argue the rate of expansion spreads that talent out too thinly, ultimately watering down the standard of the end product, but the issue i'm seeing is player retention.

Nobody seems to be able to keep the majority of their BigV standard talent in their own program.

It's an issue I think clubs need to address.

Reply #523333 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Big V By-Laws
Appendix 9 Promotion and Relegation
Promotion and Relegation systems will be operated in all Big V Competitions (non-ABA Divisions) according to the following:

Promotion and Relegation

Where the league is played in more than one division the following promotion/relegation principles will be adopted:

• Teams should play in Divisions in which they are competitive both on and off court.

• Divisions are not governed by numbers - that is, there are no limits on the number of teams that should be in each division, rather, the size of each division is flexible to cope with those teams that have the capacity to compete in those Divisions.

• Where appropriate, the Executive will rule on a year to year basis the best means of operating the competition within a Division, including home and away games break-up, use of conferences and other variables.

Promotion of Teams

Promotion of teams will be on the basis of a formal application.

1. By the end of July each year the General Manager of the league will call for expressions of interest from those teams interested in competing in a higher division in the following season.

2. Clubs wishing to compete will then submit an expression of interest by the date set by the General Manager..

3. An executive sub-committee of three (including the General Manager) will review each applicant and seek input and provide feedback on the following areas:
– playing strength, current and proposed
– Game promotion
– Administration (club to office)
– Ability to meet financial commitments

4. After interview, each applicant will then be required to submit a proposal for promotion, based on feedback received.
5. The executive sub-committee will review each proposal and make a recommendation to the General Manager of the Big V.

6. The Executive Committee will be empowered to decide on which teams will be accepted for promotion – these will be informed prior to the annual general meeting of the league and an announcement of same made at the AGM.

Relegation

Relegation will be on the basis of formal application or on the recommendation of the Executive.

1. A team may apply for relegation based on its own assumptions about future playing strength, financial capacity or other reasons.

2. The Executive may decide to relegate a team based on failure to meet the league guidelines as set out in section 1.2 of these by-laws,

3. In all cases, an executive sub-committee of three (including the General Manager) will review all teams performance and, in consultation with the teams, make recommendations to the Executive Committee on teams that should be relegated.

4. The Executive Committee will be empowered to decide on which teams will be relegated – these will be informed prior to the annual general meeting of the league and an announcement of same made at the AGM.

Reply #523339 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

HO, at high risk of inducing further sleep issues I have posted the Big V By-Laws above^.

Your point about a team that is likely not in the correct Division is clear, however the league appears to have enough ammunition to fix this issue if it desires.

Perhaps they just need to toughen up and make some decisions according to their own rules and not be persuaded by an Association's smoke and mirrors when they make their application to enter Champs?

Regardless of the fact that mistakes are made, it seems less likely that the system is broken, it could be that the more likely scenario is that the Big V is not applying its own rules accordingly.

Reply #523340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear, we've been over these before and nothing has changed.

Those "bylaws" if you can call them that, are the most loosly written ineffectual fluff i've ever read.

They mean effectively nothing in terms of team performance and are completely open to interpretation and negotiation.

Reply #523368 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^ you are correct in everything you say. I won't disagree with you, however this post is asking questions about the Big V competition and why teams that have a losing record are still in the highest Division.

What I am saying (repeating if you like) is that although the By-Laws may be interpreted any way you like, they do exist and they do explain the system and process that results in the situation commented upon.

Rightly or wrongly, if the By-Laws are ineffective you are welcome to post what you believe they should read, so the problem of losing records by teams not good enough to play in Champs is avoided...

I, for one, don't see what the fuss is about! If the Big V wants a more even competition they just have to do what HO suggests, shrink the amount of teams to about 8 and introduce strict guidelines with a performance based promotion and relegation system. Problem is that someone has to lose, you are not going to prevent that, no matter what you do...

Reply #523387 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I suppose that depends on your point of view. Those by-laws give the club and executive room to move - that is not always a bad thing.

Promotion and relegation in the BigV is a really questionable concept, as I have indicated here, relegation is more useful than promotion.

P&R is only an issue if you are locked into numbers in competitions (SCM MUST have ## teams for example) and for the BigV to be locked into numbers would be stupid.

The problem with these by-laws is not how they are written, it seems to be the governance and application of them. In the Sherbrooke case its seems like they have not been applied at all. There is not way after four years of those results you could make a judgement that a team deserved a fifth season.

Hence one of my questions - what else is at play here - why are the BigV so locked into keeping Sherbrooke in SCW?

BTW, one of the success stories of SCW early in the season appears to be Southern Pen (article on other thread). They did not contest the D1 Grand final last year so in promoting them, which would not have happened under strict P&R, the league and club appear to have made a very GOOD decision.

Reply #523392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear and HO you make good points, and Baller6 your honesty in not only naming your club but that you have said is refreshing.

The problem for the league is that if they approach a club, they will get told the usual, we're getting an import next year, or, we've effectively signed this or that player next year, or, it's all coming together wait and see, or, we're getting a new coach. Any amount of bluff to hold the league off.

In the Sherbrooke womens case I think they may have been held back by the previous coach who effectively could only seem to muster has beens (and some may argue in some cases never were beens) but at some point the league has to bite the bullet and say enough.

I applaud Baller6 and the work they are doing, but it would seem they will never meet the standard, given 4 and a bit years of cellar dwelling with little if not no hope of any juniors coming through.

Import? Who's going to pay for that?

Reply #523394 | Report this post

has been  
Years ago

Previously to the scw coach there was 1 jnr girl's team so it started from scratch. ..
Imports club wouldnt hear of it!!!

Reply #523403 | Report this post

has been  
Years ago

Previously to the scw coach there was 1 jnr girl's team so it started from scratch. ..
Imports club wouldnt hear of it!!!

Reply #523404 | Report this post

The previous SCW coach rated himself so highly, never had success at any level with anything he has coached, that after the last game of the previous season he told the players there would be no women's program at Sherbrooke because he was leaving.

Suffice to say the previous SCW coach probably set the program back a few years as his views on playing/developing juniors was non-existent at best.

Yelling and screaming at players on the training court probably doesn't inspire players to want to stay on, let alone give any juniors the view that this is a good path to follow.

I would have thought that possibly dropping to Div 1 would have been the best option, not sure if this was even discussed at Club or BIG V Board level.

Reply #523430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id suggest if you finish last 3 seasons in a row its time to drop back weather you like it or not.

Reply #523432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has been ^ so the men is run differently to the women? I thought the men had an import or imports, is that not correct?

Reply #523436 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Note that the promotion and relegation by-laws posted above are not as per the current by-laws that have recently been updated and approved by Clubs at the SGM in early March. The current by-laws re-introduced hard promotion/relegation as the Clubs had previously approved, but had not be documented, as well as other means.

1.3.2 Promotion and relegation
Promotion and relegation systems will be operated in all Big V competitions, except State Championship, according to the following:
(a) Promotion of Teams
Promotion of teams will be on the basis of a team winning the grand final of their division or formal application.
The process for formal application is:
1. By the end of August each year the CEO will call for expressions of interest from those Associations interested in having any of their teams competing in a higher division in the following season;
2. Associations wishing to compete will submit an expression of
interest by the date set by the CEO;
3. A Board sub-committee of three (including the CEO) will review each applicant, seek input and provide feedback on the following areas:
i. Playing strength, current and proposed;
ii. Game promotion;
iii. Administration (Association to office);
iv. Ability to meet financial commitments.
4. After interview, each applicant will then be required to submit a proposal for promotion, based on feedback received;
5. The Board sub-committee will review each proposal and make a recommendation to the Board;
6. The Board is empowered to decide on which teams will be accepted for promotion. These will be informed prior to the AGM of the League and an announcement of same made at the AGM.
(b) Relegation of Teams
Relegation will be on the basis of a team finishing on the bottom of their division ladder, formal application or on the recommendation of the
Board.
The process for formal application is:
1. An Association may apply for relegation of any of its teams based on its own assumptions about future playing strength, financial capacity or other reasons;
2. The Board may decide to relegate a team based on failure to meet the League guidelines as set out in 2.3.1 of these By-laws;
3. In all cases, a Board sub-committee of three (including the CEO) will review all team's performance, and in consultation with the
teams, make recommendations to the Board on teams that should be relegated;
4. The Board is empowered to decide on which teams will be relegated, teams will be informed prior to the AGM of the League and with a formal announcement made at the same AGM.
(c) Considerations in divisional restructures
In cases where circumstances are such that the Board determines that a restructure of divisions shall occur between seasons, the relative position
of teams that would otherwise have been promoted or relegated as a result of their on court performance shall be taken into account.

Reply #523447 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Thanks Anon,

Obviously none of us had seen this so its useful.

But of course State Championship is excepted!

Reply #523458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct HO but it is certainly interesting reading. As there is no mention of ways for first/last going up/down, it would seem them is no discussion, looks like it is a done deal.

But it clearly states that SC is exempt and where it states that (the beginning) seems to me to mean that even if Big V wanted you to drop, there is no mechanism for them to do it as these rules apply to all but SC.

I wonder if that means YL as well, is Vic Youth Champ different to Youth 1 and Youth 2?

Reply #523460 | Report this post

Shrek  
Years ago

Youth League Champ is different. Teams can ask to go down from VYC (struggling with numbers or quality) and clubs request for their teams to go up into VYC if they believe they will have a good group for a number of years.
The youth league is juniors so the group of players is changing regularly from season to season. Small changes or sometimes large changes.

Reply #523490 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks anon for the update, I certainly was not aware of it. I wonder if it is an improvement though, seems like it covers more angles but the omission from SC is IMHO potentially a mistake.

Unless of course there is a whole section dedicated to SCM and SCW we are all unaware of...?

Reply #523492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see Sherbrooke made an announcement a couple of days ago about their second import, but none for the women!

Reply #523589 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I have another important question.

If Frankston youth teams continue to forfeit every game, while winning most games, will they be demoted?

Reply #528962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not their fault HO, but why should they not be demoted? Otherwise if they get away with it why would any Association bother to pay their fees?

Reply #528969 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

sorry, i was being a but facetious.

Reply #528989 | Report this post

Ready or not  
Years ago

They should be demoted, simple

Reply #528998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Big V Board need to give the clowns that run Frankston a date to pay the fine, or remove the teams from the comp.

Reply #529012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do feel sorry for their players.

Reply #529059 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754