Isaac
Years ago

Boti: BSA has botched Lightning succession

Boti is not very impressed with BSA's half-arsed attempts to preserve the Lightning in Adelaide:

BSA has botched the retention of the Lightning so appallingly that if anyone outside the sport's inner sanctum cared - you know, Government agencies who provide grants, corporate supporters with clout ... that kind of thing - heads should and would roll.

But in this instance, BSA will get away with its glacier-like pace, indifference and/or lack of foresight in reacting to Lightning's obvious plight because, quite simply, not enough people outside the sport (or even inside it for that matter) give a flying frapdoodle.
Full story at botinagy.com

Topic #36838 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

CEO needs to go.

Reply #523596 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

One of the best things lightning can do is connect with the local sa female basketballers at grass roots level - at all ages. Our premier women's team should be something to be looked up to and aspired for. Don't worry about what other wnbl clubs are doing or spending or recruiting. its the locals that will be the fans at the game , it is the local juniors that will fill the future ranks - sure internationals be Australian or from elsewhere are awesome assets. Hope the lightning are in next season!

Reply #523615 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Perhaps some more fundamental questions should be asked.

Should BSA be involved in ensuring the Lightning have a future? Sure
Should they be making a contribution from a resource/leadership point of view? Sure
Does the lightning have to exist for their to be a pathway? - emotionally maybe but logically no
Should they put their members funds at risk? really questionable.

I think the question posed about whether NSW would have an obligation to the survival of the Flames is a good one. The same can be asked of BV and Bulleen and Dandenong, or Vic Country and the Spirit.

Should BSA involved? Sure. Should BSA be responsible as Boti trys to paint - no.

Reply #523618 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

Remember too we have u16 national champs that will be ready for this squad in 2-3 years

Reply #523621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those kids will more likely be off to college.

Reply #523625 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Maybe we all need to take a deep breath and turn back the club when BASA use to run and fund the national teams and what a mess that was

If we look ahead , the men's program is in good hands , seemingly adjusting where they need to, and have just about got it right. Profit is finals and one is great, two home finals is gold.

Look at the grassroots of girls? High drop off after U14/16 and nearly killed off in U23 this year thanks to poor planning.

How many of our girls have gone on to play elsewhere? All of them bar a few.

We have sacked coaches, good ones at that, and now we are faced with no team at all in a state that prides itself of the girls program it produces.

Simple answer is the Uni model, offer students the education they want, but the game they love to play is a focus. Get Jenny Screen to come back as full time coach, get her to run better , well drilled, quicker programs for movement to elite, be the face between Uni's and players and sponsors and the general public and see what we can do.

Half arsed ( as by Issac's words) pretend " fix it" models don't work.

Why choose a rookie coach, ? sydney did and it worked.
Why Jenni Screen, ? Straight out the game and knows what players need to be happy, has worked and played under amazing coaches and has been successful on the court

Get Jenni Screen in the off season to run elite clinics at U20/23 level, coach the U20 State Team, work with a board or committee that knows basketball and see if it works.

Give her three seasons to work her magic, get more girls watching where they can progress with Basketball in SA, not by Basketball SA

Move the bench players in 36ers and Lighting into SEABL for winter, bring them to the Arena and get bums on seats . It has to be better than Premier League on a cold winters night.

So , as half arsed as it is, the Lighting will go, will fold , unless we think alone and work together without BSA hoping for the White Knight

It can be done......

Reply #523626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And where does the money for this come from?

Reply #523635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And who is going to pay to watch this team lose by 50 most weeks.

Reply #523636 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Hmmm. If 36ers'owners announced they were going to hand back their NBL licence, should BSA be responsible for finding or being new owners? Or for providing a large, interest free loan to new owners if they asked for it? I don't recall that expectation being placed on BSA when the 36ers' pre-SOS owners were bailing.

It's also interesting to consider the point Boti makes about BSA not giving the 36ers $300,000 as a repayable loan to take over the Lightning. It's worth asking what the risk of losing all or most of that money might have been. Elsewhere Boti points out that Marino has lost about $500,000 a year during his ownership of the Lightning. To me, that suggests a high risk of BSA never seeing that money again. Note also, that if things went badly, BSA might find itself with the risk that demanding its money back in 3 years' time might then see the 36ers also fold.

It's also worth asking what else that $300,000 might be used for to support BSA's broader responsibilities for basketball in SA.

Having zero involvement in basketball in SA but having been involved in running another sport at state level, these are the questions of an objective outsider.

Reply #523642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The blog post is a perfect example of what happens when Boti has one side yapping in his ear about something, and he doesn't bother to properly or objectively look into the other side of the matter.

I agree with you completely PeterJohn that even as an outsider with an interest in the situation but no inside knowledge it is obvious from the ongoing Marino saga that the current club is not something I would personally be wanting to invest in if I expected to see any of my cash again.
Yes it is BSA's responsibility to facilitate a pathway to the top for female players but throwing all their hard earned funds down the drain to buy one or two seasons worth is clearly not the smart way to do it!

This problem is not unique to Adelaide either.
Look at what happened to Logan. Look at what has happened in Bendigo. If a club with 3 grand finals in 3 years and 2 titles is losing money hand over fist then what hope does the average team have?

Blow it up and start again sustainably. That doesn't happen overnight it needs time and resources. As a fan of the game I have loved the Lightning and I want to continue to love them. And I could do without the politics and nepotism and squabbling of the Marino era that seems to have divided and lost people along the way even thought I appreciate very much what he did. He kept a very sick club on life support by throwing money at it. Well its time to cure the sickness. I don't even care if the club doesn't compete next season. SEQ will fill the hole. If the Lightning is rebuilt and sustainable and back in the league for 2016/17 in a way that ensures it is in it for the long haul then that would be a big win in my eyes.

Reply #523645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ Jenni Screen as coach

Reply #523737 | Report this post

Anon.  
Years ago

I watched the speeches at the end of the WNBL grand final and Chris Lucas got teared up when he spoke of missing his family in adelaide. Why didn't he lobby to buy and coach the Lightning? He is a businessman with the means and he could've come home then. Even more strange is that he just got appointed assistant to NZ. Something doesn't add up but that's a diff. story. Jenny screen is not the answer. We can't lose our lightning. Things are awful quiet and that's not a good sign

Reply #523761 | Report this post

Princess Audrey  
Years ago

Lucas was dumped by the Lightning and then went off interstate and built up a club on and off the court over a number of years, and just broke through for their first title. Expecting a guy in his situation to suddenly abandon all he has achieved to come running back and bail out the club who sacked him is the definition of clutching at straws.

Reply #523764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jenni Screen? Oh dear.

Reply #523770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris is good at saying the right thing.

Funny how that suggesting he might leave to bail out the lightning could have opened the cheque book a little further in Townsville.

Reply #523771 | Report this post

Lewis  
Years ago

Hearing in the news the past couple days that there will be no Adelaide Lighting team in the WNBL League 2015/16. They haven't came up with the money and the player's are leaving. Also hearing Alexandra Bunton will sign with the new Queensland side by the end of the week.

Reply #524992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

heard there will be a team, in adelaide in 2015/2016 from a pretty reliable source

Reply #524994 | Report this post

Lewis  
Years ago

Anonymous, Yeah right, they can't get any money and I don't know where it will come from. Also they have no ownership. Right now they have no players and they need money to pay them and got none. Good luck having a Adelaide team in 2015/16, there's lots of work to do in a short time. Get a differen reliable source.

Reply #524996 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:31 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754